2016—a Year Of Unrest

blazingthru

2016—A Year of Unrest
January 02, 2017

FacebookTwitterRedditPinterestLinkedInGoogle+Email

top Associated Press news stories for last year confirms that life on Planet Earth was anything but calm. Here are the top ten stories in order: (1) U.S. election, (2) Brexit, (3) Black men killed by police, (4) Pulse nightclub massacre, (5) Worldwide terror attacks, (6) Attacks on police, (7) Democratic Party e-mail leaks, (8) Syria, (9) U.S. Supreme Court, (10) Hillary Clinton’s e-mails. And this list doesn’t even include the European migrant crisis, the spread of the Zika virus, or the death of Fidel Castro.

We live in unstable and violent times. Most of the above stories fall into one of two categories: the unsettled political upheavals in the world, or rampant violence. Anyone with even a nominal understanding of the Bible can almost hear the warnings of Jesus after watching the news. “You will hear of wars and rumors of wars” (Matthew 24:6). Paul added, “Know this, that in the last days perilous times will come” (2 Timothy 3:1). Just a glimpse at these top ten stories—and we know the last days have arrived.

Bombarded with the news of raucous rallies, financial earthquakes, mass shootings, suicide bombings, targeted attacks, hacked e-mails, and failed cease-fire negotiations, where might we turn for stability and tranquility? The words of Christ could not be more appropriate nor more refreshing: “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).

As we face the time of the end, our ultimate hope can never be in the political machines of the world, a stronger military, better science, sharper negotiations, new technology, or finer justice systems. All of these have their place, but none of them can usher in lasting peace and safety. Only in Jesus will we find an anchor to hold us fast during the global storms threatening to tear societies and nations to pieces.

The Christian does not need to be afraid of what is to come if he or she obeys the words of Christ who said: “Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock” (Luke 6:47, 48).

Let’s commit to stand on the Rock in 2017!

Want to know how to survive the last days? Watch “Who Will Be Left Standing?