2017 Bsl/mbl Challenge

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm on step 3 of my bkt process.

Step 1- put hair in braided sections( I used 10)
Step 2- shampoo at least twice and let it sit a few minutes
Step 3- naked blow-dry
Step 4- apply product and let it sit 20 minutes
Step 5- blow-dry again using tension method
Step 6- flat iron in small sections

I will post a pic later

beauti

Because of this very reason, I just couldn't do it. I want to have a realistic idea of what is going on with my hair, but I'm 51% sure that I will be better off not knowing.
When was the last time you straightened? it will be 6 months for me in June and by then I hope to be full mbl. Give yourself enough time to improve whatever you think is hindering progress. I'm going full speed the next 3 months, no slacking :yep:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I was supposed to wash my hair today, but laziness took over. I ended up just oiling my ends with grapeseed oil and massaging my scalp. It's like an overnight prepoo...

Hopefully I can wash out this bkt tomorrow and see how it holds up against humidity.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I haven't posted in awhile cuz I've been in twist extensions. I think this weekend I may finally take them down. I need to do a protein treatment and pampering session. I think I'm going to give extensions a rest for awhile and wear loose twist for a few months.

My progress has been slow so I'm not sure if it's the extensions or what? It seems like every time I remove them my hair looks shorter. I don't really know how long my hair is since I haven't straightened my hair since 2013 :laugh:. I've only been using curlformers to do my length checks.

I've finally found my Chicoro 'Grow It Book' so I'm going to read it again so that I can move past this plateau :yep:. I'm determined to get to BSL this year even if it kills me! :lol:

apple_natural

When was the last time you straightened? it will be 6 months for me in June and by then I hope to be full mbl. Give yourself enough time to improve whatever you think is hindering progress. I'm going full speed the next 3 months, no slacking :yep:

for me, its been almost a year. I straightened all the edges around August of last year for a half wig that i put in a bun... but thats it. other than that, it's been... let me check for photos

looked for photos. so in august of last year i straightened the edges for my half wig. before that, i did a blow out in february 2016. i didn't flat iron it. just a blow out. I didnt straighten in 2015 either. I haven't actually straightened all it since april 2014 besides that blowdry

Last edited:

beauti

for me, its been almost a year. I straightened all the edges around August of last year for a half wig that i put in a bun... but thats it. other than that, it's been... let me check for photos

looked for photos. so in august of last year i straightened the edges for my half wig. before that, i did a blow out in february 2016. i didn't flat iron it. just a blow out. I didnt straighten in 2015 either. I haven't actually straightened all it since april 2014 besides that blowdry
Wow! In that case I'm just as anxious as you are to see how much your hair has flourished. :kiss3: Go on and pull out that flat iron, sis :poke"

apple_natural

Wow! In that case I'm just as anxious as you are to see how much your hair has flourished. :kiss3: Go on and pull out that flat iron, sis :poke"

I initially responded stating i had it colored, but cut it 2015, but nope. It was March 2014 I had it colored and then cut all that colored hair off. So I count from the time it was colored. Three years of hair.

I have clipped it quite a bit when I blew it out last year, but not too much. It was needed. So we'll see.

I'm not expecting too much. I just hope it isn't depressing lol Plus I need to clip again I'm sure

Last edited:

NICOLETHENUMBERONE

I tried the Beautiful Textures Texture Manageability System today. So far I like it. I found it easy to apply and flat iron. Afterwards I pulled out my Split-Ender, which I haven't used in a few years. Afterwards I oiled my hair lightly in coconut oil. I'm revisiting coconut oil to see if my hair will really take to it. One of the reasons stated for our hair being dry and prone to and breakage much more than other races is that because of our texture, the sebum we produce doesn't travel down to our ends. I also think we don't produce as much sebum because Latinas have curly and kinky hair too, but their hair will grow and retain out the wazoo regardless of what they do while we struggle to get past SL for the first time in our lives! :( Since coconut oil is proven to penetrate the hair shaft, I figure I'd give it a try straight up before applying a leave in. So we'll see! Tomorrow I'm going to pick up Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea leave-in to see how my hair likes it.

I'm 15 weeks post, and I'm starting to experiment with these amino acid and keratin treatments to forgo texlaxing. Humidity is my nemesis. When I was all natural, the tiniest hint of humidity would make my braidouts look like I got into a fight - and lost! When I'm stretching my relaxer, the new growth looks like an afro with strings attached when humidity reared its ugly head. A lot of reviews I read about the TMS said their hair held up very well in humidity, so we'll see!

(Sorry, no pics. I was tired!). Eta: I used temp 380 and did 2 passes on new growth and 1 pass on relaxed hair.
I'm not in the challenge but one of the reasons I think some us struggle to get to SL is because of relaxers. I'm not against relaxing but I think it improper methods cause the hair to break off quickly so you don't retain as much length as you should. On the flip side, I noticed when I was in middle school when my hair was getting pressed, I was at MBL. But when I started to get relaxers, still going every two weeks my hair would just be shedding all over my back. Other people use to comment, it was embarrassing. I think with pressing or even rollersets, it is easier to retain length, the sebum is able to travel down shaft easier because the hair is straightened but more pliable. My hair was also softer when pressed but seemed hard when relaxed. Relaxed hair just requires more care which I don't think most people understood ten years ago to the point we do today.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I've removed my twist extensions last night and did an over night prepoo. Today I washed with kinky curly come clean and now I have the aphogee 2 step protein treatment in my hair under the dryer now. I will then use their step 2 balancing moisturizer conditioner then proceed with my usual routine. I'm going to install loose twist either late tonight or tomorrow and leave them in for two weeks.

Caramel74

My hair is driving me crazy again! That part in the back of my hair that is APL and the rest in BSB. It's at least a 4 inch difference and I don't know what to do. If I cut and regret it there will be nothing I can do. I've looked over pics and my hair is nice at APL. But then all my styles that camouflage it I will not have: Messy Bun, well messy bun I'll still have but my two fluffy ponytails, bouncy ponytail, and the long ponytail w six braids in it... This is driving me crazy and has been for the last week! What would y'all do?

Sanity

Cosmetologist
My hair is driving me crazy again! That part in the back of my hair that is APL and the rest in BSB. It's at least a 4 inch difference and I don't know what to do. If I cut and regret it there will be nothing I can do. I've looked over pics and my hair is nice at APL. But then all my styles that camouflage it I will not have: Messy Bun, well messy bun I'll still have but my two fluffy ponytails, bouncy ponytail, and the long ponytail w six braids in it... This is driving me crazy and has been for the last week! What would y'all do?
Allow the shorter hair to catch up. That's what I am doing

Daina

@Caramel74, put your hair in a style where you can ignore it for awhile. That's what I just did, I'm in 2 strand twists that I can style different ways. I did it because I will be trimming another 4 inches by YE and part of me wants to do it all and get it over with. The other part of me knows I am not about that drastic cut life. I will REGRET it if I cut all at once.

If you know you won't like it cut then leave it be and find a style where it's not noticeable to you.

SweetestChick

Long hair fanatic
I didn't realize our first update is this month. I guess I'll have to pull out my curlformers so I can take a pic. I did trim my hair a couple of times so I'm not expecting anything noticeable.

Yup it's that time! I'll try and post a pic by tomorrow night. I had to stop my hsn vitamins this month since I'm on a budget for now.:pyro:So not sure if I grew as much this time around. Eh, long as my hair isn't the same length it's progress right?

Will be using split ender in another 2 weeks. I just keep it on the .25" setting since I don't trim every month as the creator instructed.

GGsKin

There's about 4 inches between my long and short layer. I don't wear my hair stretched. Because of this, it's not that noticeable and I try not to be discouraged...

I'm also trying to allow the shorter hair to grow out/ catch up, before I do a trim for evenness. But when I see full luscious even ends, my hands get to itching. I can see myself getting to a certain length and then evening things up. I just don't know how long that is yet. I'm enjoying the length and added fullness to my styles right now.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Well guys I've must've got scissor happy or my extensions took my length cuz I didn't retain any length! Smh! I knew I didn't retain all my length but dang I thought I would have at least retained a half inch. I took a length shirt pic and it's an inch shorter from my December pic :wallbash:.

Caramel74

@AbsyBlvd @Sanity @Daina

Thank you so much beautiful hair sisters! :rose:

What I noticed at the end of the day after manipulating my hair obsessively with my fingers as usual, until it dried after being taken down from a wet bun is, all it takes is a couple of bad hair days for me to start obsessing.

Reason would say, Gees it's only a small section that can be blended when worn right or just tucked away. You can't get that hair back once it's hacked off. I guess I was just fantasizing about big hair and blunt ends. But my hair style choices would be limited and the novelty would wear off and I'd be saying ... "if I didn't cut my hair... blah blah... it'd be so long and the not so funny part is it'll most likely grow back the same. This is the 5th time I hacked it all off. So back to:
:ignore:

Thank you for all your loving support and being the voices of reason.

:iloveyou:

faithVA

Leave it and let it catch up.

Sanity

Cosmetologist
Update: I was under the weather for 2 weeks. I relaxed on 3/3 at 18 weeks. I was surprised I was able to retain 2" from my last update 12/21/16 (line 5"). I don't consider myself full bsl just yet. 1.5" (line 8.5) to go! Is 10.5-11" considered mbl? My hair is finally catching up to my right side. In this picture my hair was in a pony for 2 weeks.

Attachments

• 20170326_051930.png
    20170326_051930.png
    706.6 KB · Views: 36