2017 Bsl/mbl Challenge

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Don’t be discouraged. I had the worst tangling experience back in 2013 and 2015 which led me to getting my hair cut in a bob, and the second led me to getting a mohawk. And I had a similar setback in 2014 that I’m experiencing now. Weird experiments and testing out products gets me every time! This is why I don’t mess with stuff I have to mix and I need to stop messing with stuff that sounds too good to be true! Lol I lost patches of hair due to that ORS kit. My hair is growing back now, and I’m just keeping things very simple. No bunch of styling, simple wash/dc routine twice a week, m&s daily, and bun. I’m not bunning with anything that will put stress on my hair either.

:yep:

I definitely jump around a bit and should slow that down.

One HUGE lesson I learned from trying this fenugreek smoothie that I've been eyeing for so long: At LEAST see a demo video of it -- not just being MADE but USED.

Nothing I read anywhere tipped me to the particles. :nono:

Thanks for the encouragement.

GGsKin

:yep:

I definitely jump around a bit and should slow that down.

One HUGE lesson I learned from trying this fenugreek smoothie that I've been eyeing for so long: At LEAST see a demo video of it -- not just being MADE but USED.

Nothing I read anywhere tipped me to the particles. :nono:

Thanks for the encouragement.
Some of us have mentioned our infamous fenugreek removals in the ayurvedic thread. Mine was so bad I didn't use it again for many months. My last experience was much better.

apple_natural

Hellooo..

My check in.
My hair has been pretty much neglected since my last post. I washed and blew it out this morning, but it was so dry. I couldn't get over it. I didn't dc like i should have. . I had to do that this evening. I put on a ton of hair mayonnaise and sat under a dryer for nearly an hour

Eta: I was going to blow it out again, but I didn't. I flat twisted and realized this was the part I've been missing. I shouldn't have blow dried. My hair is better flat twisted dry and then flat ironed... durrrr

Remember those pieces that I was complaining about not curling? They curled back up.

Ok. Let me check the other messages...

Last edited:

apple_natural

I didn't flat iron yet. I have it in a clip in ponytail with curly hair clip ins. I need to dye the straight clip ins I have to a darker color that's not black. Usually natural black is too black, but this color is too brown, so idk

Saga

The Generous Queen
I think I'm finally ready to join this challenge!

I washed my hair last night with Rhassoul clay mixed with Aloe Vera Juice and Sweet Orange Oil
Then I dc'ed w/aussie moist 3MM and after I rinsed it out I used a turbie towel to absorb the excess water from my hair. Followed up with my Aphogee Keratin spray, Lotta body Setting Lotion, and Tressemme heat protectant and put my hair in a curlformer set. This time I only used half the package of curlformers.
I was gonna sit under the dryer but I ended up falling asleep so it air dried and after taking it down I combed out the curls for a blow out look.

Tomorrow I'm going to get my hair braided back into two cornrows with some extension hair, so hopefully that should give me a break from doing it for a little while.

Evolving78

This is why I can’t go a week not washing my hair..
I’m shedding more (I think), so I have to detangle my hair more, plus remove buildup. I only comb my hair on wash days, and finger detangling isn’t enough.
I went a week without washing my hair, and my hair was a tangled mess! But I made it through! I just had to take my time and use Mane & Tail detangler!
I will not be using heat on my hair for the rest of the year, even when I relax.. there is no point, since I’m not wearing it out.

LushLox

I’m shedding more (I think), so I have to detangle my hair more, plus remove buildup. I only comb my hair on wash days, and finger detangling isn’t enough.
I went a week without washing my hair, and my hair was a tangled mess! But I made it through! I just had to take my time and use Mane & Tail detangler!
I will not be using heat on my hair for the rest of the year, even when I relax.. there is no point, since I’m not wearing it out.

Do you cope okay not using heat as I know you like it.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
You convinced me not to skip wash day. I'm tired af, but I don't want to deal with tangles.

apple_natural

Could the average person go from middle of shoulders and armpit length hair to bsl.. in 10 months??? Cuz that's what needs to happen for me. Have any of you?

Edited to correct grammar and to say that I need 4.5 inches from the back to be bsl. It's the part closest to apl

Last edited:

LushLox

Could the average person go from middle of shoulders and armpit length hair to bsl.. in 10 months??? Cuz that's what needs to happen for me. Have any of you?

Edited to correct and to say that I need 4.5 inches from the back to be bsl. It's the part closest to apl piece I think

You just need to retain all of your growth for the period; I don't see why not. And people have certainly done that on here. You need to protect those ends as much as possible.

But we all know this is easier said than done lol

Evolving78

Edited to correct and to say that I need 4.5 inches from the back to be bsl. It's the part closest to apl piece I think
It’s possible. You gotta bun like crazy! Just no tight buns, and watch your ponytail holder, or whatever you are using to bun your hair. That’s what I’m doing. What is your plan of action?

Last edited:

long.hair.dont.care

Yes it can. It happened to me and my hair growth is LESS than average... 1 inch for 3 months. I only get that much if I massage every other day. I get less when i don't massage.

Sosoothing

Yes you can. Like everyone has already said, you need to protective style seriously, and make sure moisture and protein balance are good throughout.

apple_natural

Sosoothing

Aww! Thank you everyone!
@LushLox @shortdub78 @long.hair.dont.care @Sosoothing

The last time I got a lot of growth over the winter, I braided it and kept it moisturized with glycerin water. I did a cholesterol dc after I took them out and it was nice. I'll try that again.

@YvetteWithJoy that's a nice style!

Braids sound like a good idea. That's what I'm wearing currently for a break and to retain length. I have been wearing them for about 12 weeks now. I redo them every 6 weeks or so.

apple_natural

I have a photo from 10/10/2016 of just a section of hair in the back pulled straight. it is actually looks longer than a photo of a pressed section in back that I took Saturday..... -_-... what happened!?!?!?

... i checked my documentation (my posts on here lol) and I see there was a tangle in january. i wish i would remember where that was. also, i have not pressed it all out... although i did blow it out a few weeks ago and i was NOT impressed then either. note to self: start to document when where and how much i need to cut on my hair.

i think my left front got caught up and broke off from the wig clip. however, the rest of my hair should have been fine... idk. i need to braid it up.

LushLox

I have a photo from 10/10/2016 of just a section of hair in the back pulled straight. it is actually looks longer than a photo of a pressed section in back that I took Saturday..... -_-... what happened!?!?!?

... i checked my documentation (my posts on here lol) and I see there was a tangle in january. i wish i would remember where that was. also, i have not pressed it all out... although i did blow it out a few weeks ago and i was NOT impressed then either. note to self: start to document when where and how much i need to cut on my hair.

i think my left front got caught up and broke off from the wig clip. however, the rest of my hair should have been fine... idk. i need to braid it up.

The documentation or journalling is so important (well for me anyway). It is very useful to know what works/what doesn't work. What range of products complement each other the best etc (or not as the case may be), and take pictures to support it. I time stamp when I need to do particular things (like trims) and try to stick to it. It's quite empowering once you really start to get an understanding and be more structured.