2017 Collagen Challenge...! Let's Grow!

Gr8ness83

Hello ladies!

After a lot of positive feedback , I am starting a Collagen Challenge. I will link post where I originally began discussing it and sharing the benefits below.

The goal of this challenge is to accelerate HEALTHY hair growth. Although the challenge will extend all of 2017, your commitment can be as long or short as your schedule, budget, patience allows. I am going to spread the length check dates by 3 months each, (4 length checks total in 2017)

Rules:
1)Take a starting pic of your hair (post the current length, what your challenge goal length and your ultimate goal length)
2)Take YOUR preferred collagen daily (I will post a link to the one that I use and the Vitamin c that I mix it with)
3)PROTECT YOUR HAIR (baby your ends)- Collagen is going to work from the inside-out so you do still have to care and protect your hair. Low manipulation styles and protective style are encouraged, but do what you can and what is best for you. You know your hair.
4) Oil your scalp/ perform scalp massages- No doubt, oiling your scalp has proven beneficial for the majority of the women in here but if you are one of the ones whose scalp does not fare well with any type of oils on it, just massage your scalp. Get the sebum from the follicles rubbed all around your scalp and get those follicles stimulated.
5) Apply protein treatments/ DC and Moisturize as required
6) Take you vitamins- if you do take vitamins, post what your vitamin regimen is and try to be as consistent as possible, if not.... (see rule 7)
7) Eat a balanced diet- we are casting pearls before swine and being very counterproductive by not eating the right nutrients to fuel our bodies so the vitamins.
8) Try to get some sort of exercise- whether it is walking, rowing, biking, Pilates, yoga... seek clearance from your physician before you start a new exercise regimen.
9) Trim only when needed and (Please, if possible) take before pictures BEFORE and AFTER any trims or cuts. I stress this "rule" for accountability and accuracy sake. I find it frustrating when I am looking at a YouTube video about hair growth progress (especially if the progress is attributed to a specific product), and the girl shows a "before" when she is 9", then and "after"pic, 3 months later where she is 10" and claims that she really "grew 3 inches total" because she "cut" 2inches off of her hair right before the video.... but didn't take any pics. I am not saying don't cut your hair for the sake of this challenge, just snap a pic before you do... I strive to be as open am honest as possible and I am not accusing anyone of fabricating there results on here, I am just hoping to get the most aciurate amount of feedback as possible.
10) Be consistent with your length checks- I know we have all seen the hair growth results where the girls tilt their heads, grab a bigger section or a different section entirely. Let's not do that. Lol. Try to use the same section of hair, head straight, etc....

Please take not to not only your hair skin and nails feel but your body (joints, muscles/ ligaments) feel as well. Collagen is very good for all of the above and I will be conducting polls with each length check/update.

Link to original post:
https://www.longhaircareforum.com/threads/my-holy-grail.802819/

I have never initiated a challenge so if you ladies have any ideas for "rules/guidelines" let me know and I will add them.

ETA:

Challenge Participants:
Gr8ness83
Aggie
Israellabant
TrueSugar
KiWiStyle
SweetSunshine
Yodie
FiFigirl
Gvin89
Charmtreese
Jade Feria
Niknik253
Natural Finally
Chocolat79
MovingForward
Daina
Need2gro
Imma
YvetteWithJoy
YesToHair
CutiePieBaby
HappyAtLast
FaithVA (Lurking)
Keen (Lurking)

Last edited:

Aggie

I'm in too. I already take collagen everyday so this should be easy for me.

@Gr8ness83,

The rules you have here are enough. I can't stand it when there are too many rules and stipulations - it actually turns me away. So the simpler the challenge, the better for me. I don't want to have to take a progress pic every month or two. In fact, I prefer twice a year at best. I don't do a lot of length checks because it's discouraging especially if my hair hasn't grown much.

So with that said, I want in. I am curious about some collagen other than the one I am currently taking which is Neocell Collagen 1 & 3.

Gr8ness83

I'm in. So the challenge starts January 1st, right?
Yes ma'am, Jan 1st is the official start date. I had considered doing something a little different since there will be 4 length checks after our initial, I was thinking of using the seasons as markers. Some women notice more or less growth during certain seasons and I was thinking that would be a good way of tracking growth in that defined period. Winter starts on December 21st and we could do out length checks on the first day of each season (the Summer/Winter solstice or Spring/Fall equinox). Honestly, I love that idea because I think it is easier than trying to remember random dates but I don't want to make it too complicated for other women. What do you think? I posted a pic of the dates that could be used.

Attachments

• IMG_2650.JPG
    IMG_2650.JPG
    450.7 KB · Views: 82

Gr8ness83

I'm here for the information. I started taking collagen a month ago. I do most of the things listed plus others because I'm trying to grow thinning hair

That's cool... essentially, we are all on here for information! :) I provided the link to the post I started a while ago about collagen and the specific one I take. Which are you taking? You have been taking it a month this far, have you noticed any changes?

Keen

That's cool... essentially, we are all on here for information! :) I provided the link to the post I started a while ago about collagen and the specific one I take. Which are you taking? You have been taking it a month this far, have you noticed any changes?
I'm using neocell powder. I take it with orange juice or vitamin c gummies on an empty stomach. I think I see results but I want to give it a good three months.

I've also done two eggs treatment. I'm keeping close eye on that. I think the egg treatment may be a booster shot for everything else

EzrasNumberOneFan

TheLORDisMyShepherd
I would prefer doing every three months because it's easier to remember and usually that's when results show up. Plus, I always like when length checks come in on the last day of the challenge. But I agree to whatever you choose. I will probably do every three months because I'll be taking pics that often to track my progress in another thread.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I'm in!

I bought the neocell super Collagen two months ago but stopped after about a week of use because I started feeling nauseas. I started a new vitamin regimem at that same time which included fish oil, iron, vitamin C tablets, vitamin D3 and vitamin code multi-vitamin. I eliminated all and have successfully put them all back in my daily regimen, all except the collagen. This is a good time to start taking them again and I really hope the sickness I felt before was all coincidental.

I am slowly cutting away damaged ends (1.5" left) over time so my results might be slightly skewed.

I'd like to eventually switch to Zint Bovine (beef) Collagen which was recommended to me by a professional.

ETA: My official starting pictures.

Attachments

• 20161214_101619.jpg
    20161214_101619.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 47
  • 20161214_102239.jpg
    20161214_102239.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 45
  • 20161214_102203.jpg
    20161214_102203.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 44
  • 20161214_101753.jpg
    20161214_101753.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Yes ma'am, Jan 1st is the official start date. I had considered doing something a little different since there will be 4 length checks after our initial, I was thinking of using the seasons as markers. Some women notice more or less growth during certain seasons and I was thinking that would be a good way of tracking growth in that defined period. Winter starts on December 21st and we could do out length checks on the first day of each season (the Summer/Winter solstice or Spring/Fall equinox). Honestly, I love that idea because I think it is easier than trying to remember random dates but I don't want to make it too complicated for other women. What do you think? I posted a pic of the dates that could be used.
This is a great idea!

Keen

I'm in!

I bought the neocell super Collagen two months ago but stopped after about a week of use because I starting feeling ill. I had started a new vitaming regimem at thr time which included fish oil, iron, vitamin C tablets, vitamin D3 and vitamin code multi. I eliminated all and have successfully put them all back in my daily regimen, all except the collagen. This is a good time to start taking them again and I really hope the sickness I felt before was all coincidental.

I am slowly cutting away damaged ends (1.5" left) over time so my results might be slightly skewed.

I'd like to eventually switch to Zint Bovine (beef) Collagen which was recommended to me by a professional.
I try to space out my vitamins. I take some right after I wake up and others during lunch or before bed. I don't know if that has any impact. I just don't feel comfortable taking everything at once

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I try to space out my vitamins. I take some right after I wake up and others during lunch or before bed. I don't know if that has any impact. I just don't feel comfortable taking everything at once

I don't think that was it because I do it now with no problem. The iron and vitamin C goes hand in hand, then there's the D3 and multivitamin (I only take half the daily dose). That's not a lot. I really do hope my body wasn't rejecting the collagen.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Has anyone found taking your collagen on an empty stomach problematic? I drink coffee first thing in the morning and hated having to mix it and drink it as soon as I got out of bed. Any suggestion?

SweetSunshine

I'm in!

After a recent hair analysis, Collagen was one of the supplements recommended to me. I'll be using the Zint brand.

I will also be taking a few other vitamins in addition to the collagen. I plan on purchasing everything by the end of this week.

Excited to grow!

fifigirl

Just reading the link attached and ordered my collagen from amazon right away. I live in Nigeria so it will get to me some time in January i pray as i have to send it to a shipper in Texas first. Will join in once it's delivered so i should say i'm keeping my spot!

Gr8ness83

Has anyone found taking your collagen on an empty stomach problematic? I drink coffee first thing in the morning and hated having to mix it and drink it as soon as I got out of bed. Any suggestion?
I haven't had any problems taking it on an empty stomach. I am not sure how long you go between meals but maybe if you take it the very first thing in the morning so there still may be a little food left in your stomach from the previous night. You can also try putting a little orange juice in with it. The only other thing that I can think of is to try switching the brand of collagen and if that still causdes some issues, try switching the type of collagen. I take marine collagen because it is said to be the best form of collagen for humans. If you take marine and it is causing stomach issues, try switching to bovine.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I haven't had any problems taking it on an empty stomach. I am not sure how long you go between meals but maybe if you take it the very first thing in the morning so there still may be a little food left in your stomach from the previous night. You can also try putting a little orange juice in with it. The only other thing that I can think of is to try switching the brand of collagen and if that still causdes some issues, try switching the type of collagen. I take marine collagen because it is said to be the best form of collagen for humans. If you take marine and it is causing stomach issues, try switching to bovine.

Hi! I mix it with OJ and I presently have the bovine collagen. I'm not sure if the nausea was the collagen, or if taking it as part of a new vitamin regimen or if it was just coincidental. I'll know more in a few days after my body adjusts to it.

Jade Feria

I'd like to join! I recently started taking Neocell Marine Collagen (pills). Looking forward to the benefits for my hair and skin.

Here's my supplement regimen:

Finishing up Manetabolism Plus, then switching to Beautifully Bamboo
Continuing Garden of Life Raw Prenatal Vits
Nature Made Iron - 65 mg, then switching back to Mega Food Blood Builder
Neocell Marine Collagen - 2000mg
Nature's Way Mega DHA - 1000mg
Maximum Living MineralRich
Beautifully Bamboo Tea
Probiotics

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
So this morning I drank the collagen drink as soon as I got out of bed...well after I brushed my teeth and washed my face.

I proceeded to fix coffee and my daughter's lunch, then dressed. By the time I did all that the required time had lapsed and I was able to have my coffee. Also, today was day 2 and there's no nausea...keeping fingers crossed!