2017 Collagen Challenge...! Let's Grow!

PrissyPJ

Thanks so much, @Daina and @immy

I searched high and low for a US-produced MARINE collagen that contains vitamin C and biotin, but I can't find one. I see BOVINE collagen that does, but not marine.

Guess I'll stick with what I bought last time. I'm too scared to experiment after reading about the acne and all. I also read previously (at amazon) that the Japanese product contains an artificial sweetener that increases the appetite inadvertently. I definitely don't need that problem. :smile:

Can you provide a link to where you purchased this? I can't find it on Amazon. Thanks,

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Can you provide a link to where you purchased this? I can't find it on Amazon. Thanks,

Hi. I'm no longer at home on a computer. I can only tap on my phone and cannot search and link easily.

Once I return home this afternoon/evening, I can post a direct line.

In the interim:

I believe this thread contains a link to the product: https://www.longhaircareforum.com/threads/my-holy-grail.802819/

Also, maybe someone can link it before I do.

PrissyPJ

charmtreese

Okay, so it's taken me about 6 months to get started. I couldn't figure out how to use the collagen powder, however this week I started adding it to my coffee in the morning. I haven't used collagen in about 8-10 months, and when I did, it was in pill form. Excited to see how the powder performs!

GGsKin

I've also just started taking powder form of marine collagen. I've previously taken pill form, but not for some months.

Gr8ness83

Just checking in...
I got braids in my hair on a July 1st (the first two pics) and I took pictures of the back of my hair last night, July 23rd (where they are cornrowed in and had no slip whatsoever) it looks like I have gotten an inch so far in most places but no less than .75" and it has not even been a full month.
I take my collagen with powdered vitamin C, powdered MSM, 10,000mcg of biotin (one small tablet) and I alternate hairnamics and hairfinity.

I increased my collagen to one and a half scoops in the morning and night. I have been much more consistent with oiling and massaging my scalp. On top of that, I moisturize the length of my braids, just far enough down where my real hair is.

Since I am so lazy, I just going to keep these braids in, clarify my scalp and the knots, and use these as the base braids for my locs. The parts I'm the back are big enough to support the locs, as I redo the perimeter , I will be combining sections to make them bigger so there will be no stress on my edges with the locs. I plan on keeping my hair in PS until Dec/Jan. I need to get back the length that has been broken off IMG_1730.JPGIMG_1732.JPGIMG_2048.JPG

Last edited:

Gr8ness83

IMG_2124.JPG Hey. Just checking in. Wanted to share my progress from July 1st to August 1st.
The circled area in the front are the braids that I have taken out and redone. The braid you see lifted is how much growth I have all over my head.

ETA:Also, I added in powdered MSM in with my collagen and powdered vitamin C and powdered hyaluronic acid. I just ordered folic acid to add to my regimen and liquid hyaluronic acid to use in lieu of the powder because the powder clumps.

Last edited:

Gr8ness83

Is anyone still participating??? I'm going to keep checking in. Hopefully I will inspire someone. It appears that, with all I've been doing, I've averaged about .25"/week❤️ I've had my braids in for. A day shy of 5 weeks and I have 1.25" of new growth. I am going to start doing inversion although I think the accelerated growth can be a pain in a protective style such as braids, in not too worried about it.
Top, left, right sides of my head. It appears that my right side grows slower. I'll target that side more during my massages.

ETA: The MSM is a miracle. When I take braids out to redo them I literally only have a few strands of shed hair. Literally. Like I can count the number of shed hairs that I have. One braid I counted 5, another 8. I wear protective styles all the time and I never have this little shedding. I am excited to see why it die for the density of my hair when I take these out seeing as how I have very little shedding!

Attachments

• IMG_2199.JPG
    IMG_2199.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2214.JPG
    IMG_2214.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2209.JPG
    IMG_2209.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2227.JPG
    IMG_2227.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

greight

Is anyone still participating??? I'm going to keep checking in. Hopefully I will inspire someone. It appears that, with all I've been doing, I've averaged about .25"/week❤️ I've had my braids in for. A day shy of 5 weeks and I have 1.25" of new growth. I am going to start doing inversion although I think the accelerated growth can be a pain in a protective style such as braids, in not too worried about it.
Top, left, right sides of my head. It appears that my right side grows slower. I'll target that side more during my massages.

ETA: The MSM is a miracle. When I take braids out to redo them I literally only have a few strands of shed hair. Literally. Like I can count the number of shed hairs that I have. One braid I counted 5, another 8. I wear protective styles all the time and I never have this little shedding. I am excited to see why it die for the density of my hair when I take these out seeing as how I have very little shedding!

I'm going to start taking collagen and MSM again. I had solid results and it's a shame that I'm not consistent!

Evolving78

I’m breaking those chews up as far as time. I can’t do them all at once. I’ve been drinking bone broth and I have been taking a multivitamin that has collagen in it too.

lhogan6

Ladies, here are the progress pics I promised. I didn't want to post pics because I'm ashamed I let my hair get to that point. But I hope this helps someone.

Left: November 13.
Right: April 1
View attachment 393303

A quick run down of what I think happened:
  • I had beautiful LHCF APL relaxed hair. I would suffer set backs but bounce right back.
  • At least 5 years ago I noticed my scalp would look shiny. I thought nothing of it
  • It started thinning. I got these shots from a derm. No help. (They worked for my sister after she loose chunk of hair postpartum). I tried no poo, baby my hair, nothing seemed to work.
  • Three years ago, I stopped perming as last resort. My hair continued to go downhill. I kept trying different things. Another derm suggested biotin but I tried that years ago and quit because of skin issues so I didn't even try again. I also tried three bottles of mane choice hair vits and saw no progress.
  • Two years ago I found crochet braids. Been wearing them and totally neglected my hair. If I couldn't see it, I didn't have to confront it.
  • Last October I felt like I would end up bald if I didn't confront the issue. The rest is as I've posted before. I've added xcel21 (from the Surge challenge) and removed the tea spray since my last updated in late January.
@Keen, Hi nice progress any updates with using the collagen?

Keen

@Keen, Hi nice progress any updates with using the collagen?
Hi @lhogan6 I stopped using it in November because it was impacting my period too much (8 days!). I intend to start taking it again in smaller dosage to see what happens. The rough patch of skin I had came back since I've stop the collagen.

My hair is still doing well. It got thicker with Ayuverdic practices. Not quite back to 100% yet. But you can't tell I had thinning issues by just looking at it.

lhogan6

Hi @lhogan6 I stopped using it in November because it was impacting my period too much (8 days!). I intend to start taking it again in smaller dosage to see what happens. The rough patch of skin I had came back since I've stop the collagen.

My hair is still doing well. It got thicker with Ayuverdic practices. Not quite back to 100% yet. But you can't tell I had thinning issues by just looking at it.
Oh okay,I just purchased the neocell collagen powder. Read lots of good reviews .Hoping I dont have any issues with my cycle. Thanks for responding.

Gr8ness83

I am still taking my collagen religiously. My son moved to Chicago to live with his dad (I live in VA) and I just haven’t felt like posting anything. Still getting consistent growth and making good progress and repairing self inflicted damage.

Attachments

• DA8EC569-2BB0-4D5A-AD8A-8A2E0028123F.jpeg
    DA8EC569-2BB0-4D5A-AD8A-8A2E0028123F.jpeg
    488.1 KB · Views: 73

Sally.

I'm on day 3 of taking collagen. I mix it in with my green juices and smoothies, which I have one of at least daily. Yesterday I had a green juice and a smoothie, so I had two big scoops. The vital proteins one is really tasteless, thank goodness. I'll report back after 30 days.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I'm on day 3 of taking collagen. I mix it in with my green juices and smoothies, which I have one of at least daily. Yesterday I had a green juice and a smoothie, so I had two big scoops. The vital proteins one is really tasteless, thank goodness. I'll report back after 30 days.
I wanna try that vital proteins, but it’s so expensive :cry3:

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I have unofficially been taking Neocell Collagen w/Vitamin C for probably 2 months. My nails are starting to improve, but I’m sucking on my water intake.

Sally.

I wanna try that vital proteins, but it’s so expensive :cry3:
Which one do you use because I’m looking for a cheaper but still effective and clean version.

I bought mine on a whim a couple months ago after being surprised to see it in Whole Foods but it’s too expensive for me too. I hope this jar will last me all month but I don’t think it’s enough. And at that rate i’d have to spend almost $60 a month just to take collagen.