2017 Hair Budgeting Talk

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Do you plan out your yearly hair budget? Do you have tips for how to save money on hair care products, tools, services, vitamins, forum memberships, books, magazines, and the like? Could you use a space for thinking through how long your products last, how often you need to re-buy what, what you can forego, what you need to try this year and when, etc?

Have you decided to forego budgeting in this area for the moment so that you can freely obtain the care, services, tools, and products you need?

Do you have suggestions for how we can keep MORE of our dollars in the community or at least in places that have our best interest?

No matter how you're approaching budgeting for your hair this year, please feel free to post about it here as frequently as you feel moved.

Happy Healthy Hair Journeying!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I splurge on wigs from time to time, but my overall hair budget doesn't exceed about $100 each month (on average). This month I'm doing a No Buy, so I haven't spent any $$ this month.

My Kerastase products are pricy, but a tub of conditioner lasts about a year. Shampoo can last even longer.

For those that want to limit hair spending, you can try the envelope method. Put aside a set dollar amount in envelopes (hair, gas, groceries, etc.) Once the money is gone for that month, you have to wait until the next month.

Pmpomatic

I don't really have a budget. I focus on what I need to repurchase at the moment. If it something I want, I place it on a wishlist then wait for sale.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
My plan this year was to trial to a feeling of satisfaction for the FIRST quarter of the year (so that I could identify highly effective products), and then only re-up on ID'ed highly effective products for the remaining quarters of the year.

I'm quite happy with my discoveries of the 22nd Century Natural Woman Shampoo Bar, Qhemet CTDG, CRN Coconut Water deep treatment, and the Curl Prep Curl Crush Around the Way Gel. I can't wait to try the Curl Junkie smoothing lotion and Sheaterra Mud-Poo I have because I think these products will round out everything nicely. I really hope this feeling of product satiety/satisfaction lasts! :pray:

It's almost time for the 2nd quarter to start. I will participate at the 2017 Use Up Your Stash thread. This is good timing: On average I've spent $135/month on hair-related items and services, including all products and wigs and tools and salon visits.

I am CERTAIN I can get that down to about $50/month or less, quite easily, for the rest of the year. I'm going to try to redirect my trialing focus/energy into ends-care focus/energy, styling focus/energy, and retention focus/energy.