2017 Hair Growth And Weight Loss Challenge (jan-dec)

faithVA

I don't have any exciting updates. I have stopped working out about a month ago. I only walk now, about 40 minutes a day, to and from work, with some additional walking at work. I don't watch what I eat and so I'm still in the same old spot fluctuating between 48 and 49 kg, with of course no aesthetic improvements whatsoever. The funny thing is that I don't even know when I'm going to get back on track lol
Sometimes we do need a break especially when we go hard. Hopefully you can get back on track soon and maybe just do 1 extra thing.

Alma Petra

Sometimes we do need a break especially when we go hard. Hopefully you can get back on track soon and maybe just do 1 extra thing.
Thank you dear! I love to exercise but everybody says that if I don't bring myself to muscular failure I will not make any gains and I genuinely hate that feeling of when I get to the point of form breakdown. Whenever I remember it, I don't want to exercise. Should I just go to the gym for the fun and to enjoy myself but without hoping for any substantial gains?

faithVA

Thank you dear! I love to exercise but everybody says that if I don't bring myself to muscular failure I will not make any gains and I genuinely hate that feeling of when I get to the point of form breakdown. Whenever I remember it, I don't want to exercise. Should I just go to the gym for the fun and to enjoy myself but without hoping for any substantial gains?

Yes. Just go enjoy yourself. Activity doesn't have to be hard in order for your mind and body to benefit from it. I have lost more weight just doing my 10000 steps a day than I have doing all the tae-bo, cycling, running in the world.

I don't do muscular failure or extreme pain. If I can't get it with moderate it's not going to happen for me :lol:

faithVA

I'm tired today. I went to my training event but I just didn't have it in me. I rode 1 hour and was done. I did do my 20 minute run though.

I came home and wanted to make some pancakes but I was too tired to stand up and cook them. So I put the batter in the pan, went and sat down, got up flipped it, went and sat down, put that one on the plate and started another, went and sat down. I did that for every pancake :lol:

Now I'm on the couch. I just hope I get all of my energy back the day of the triathlon.

Aggie

I'm tired today. I went to my training event but I just didn't have it in me. I rode 1 hour and was done. I did do my 20 minute run though.

I came home and wanted to make some pancakes but I was too tired to stand up and cook them. So I put the batter in the pan, went and sat down, got up flipped it, went and sat down, put that one on the plate and started another, went and sat down. I did that for every pancake :lol:

Now I'm on the couch. I just hope I get all of my energy back the day of the triathlon.
:lol: This was too funny @faithVA but described me to the letter today as well.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I'm slowly starting to get my eating habits together. I made chicken fajitas to eat for the next few days. Instead of tortillas I'm using lettuce wraps. Almost every snack has been fruit or almonds with a low fat cheese stick. I've also been eating breakfast which is something I rarely do but I know I need to because it helps me to make better choices throughout the day.

And I finally tried halo top ice cream (cookies and cream). It was amazing. This will definitely cure my sugar cravings. I plan on picking up some more flavors later this week.

Alma Petra

Yes. Just go enjoy yourself. Activity doesn't have to be hard in order for your mind and body to benefit from it. I have lost more weight just doing my 10000 steps a day than I have doing all the tae-bo, cycling, running in the world.

I don't do muscular failure or extreme pain. If I can't get it with moderate it's not going to happen for me :lol:

Thank you so much for your encouraging response. I needed to hear this from someone: go have fun and don't be too hard on yourself. I will let you know how things go for me. Thanks heaps!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I did a cleanse last week and lost 4lbs. I haven't lost any more since then, but I haven't completely given up either. Last night dh baked some bacon wrapped monterrey chicken with provolone and cream cheese inside...it was really good. I paired it with a garden salad and a small serving of mashed potatoes. Today I had cereal and cashew milk for breakfast and a 1/2 turkey jack panini and chips.

I'm extremely tired today for some odd reason. Please don't let me be pregnant again. The only time I'm this tired is when I'm expecting... I took a late nap yesterday and I've slept on and off all day today. I finally got up and started my wash day routine. I did the prepoo, wash and applied the dc. Now I'm under the dryer with Mizani Thermasmooth and Kerastase Cristalliste.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I've lost 3.4lbs this week. I'm still eating healthy...Well trying. Yesterday I did indulge in a pint of halo top cookie dough ice cream because I was mad and I'm an emotional eater. At least it's low in sugar, contains protein and was only 360 calories for the entire pint. I skipped dinner after that (wasn't hungry). Before bed I had a few chili lime almonds and a low fat cheese stick.

Today I had a plum and some chobani peach yogurt for breakfast. I'm thinking something from the Mediterranean restaurant at work for lunch.

I trimmed off all of the color in my hair. I got rid of 1 1/2 inches and it feels so much better. I am still recovering from a dying my hair 02/16 and not taking proper care of it. It's so much easier not deal with now. I can actually touch ( though trying not to) my hair without it falling apart in my hands. And this may seem unrelated but for my journey I think it was a necessity..I began seeing a therapist.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Dh really wants us to go to the gym today... The problem is: I still need to cook dinner, bathe the kids, do family movie night and wash/flat iron my hair. I feel like today needs more hours :(

We did get lots of goodies for movie night, so after that I will need some cardio.

faithVA

I can already tell I'm not going to want to run tomorrow :ohwell: I didn't want to run yesterday either so I didn't. I came home and did a 5 mile walk with Leslie. I did 2 thirty minute cycling workouts because doing 1, 1 hour workout seemed like too much :lol:

I'm ready for this triathlon to be done so I can get back to my life. I haven't lost a bit of weight. It has kept me out of my hair thought.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes. Then I did 12 minutes on the body enhancement machine and a few minutes on the hydra massage bed.

I massaged my tummy and thighs with my suction cups after I applied some coconut oil. I'm looking forward to smoother skin by December!!

BellaRose

Ok. So i went on vacation and gained my weight back. Aw man! However, i started gym this week. I'm going to a new one though. I have to take control of my eating which is more important than the exercising in my opinion.

My hair is in braids for the month so far. Might leave it in for 2 months. Will take out the cornrows in the front and put single braids. That will make the look fresh for month 2.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I've changed my fitness routine yet again. I'm no longer doing any of this: counting calories, taking alli, avoiding gluten, counting carbs or anything of the sort. I'm just making better choices overall. As far as working out goes, I have recommitted to going to the gym 3 times a week. Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays work best, however, I have gone every night this week. I plan to go tonight too.

No matter what I did I have always been soft, not firm, not solid. I have to change that by lifting and lifting heavy. My Sunday, Tuesday and Friday workout consists of 30 minutes of weights. I go to Planet Fitness, so the workout is pretty much mapped out for me. I do as many reps as I can with the heaviest weight I can stand for 2-3 sets. Usually I do 2 sets of 8. If it's easy enough I do 3 sets of 10. So far 80lbs is the heaviest I can lift. Afterwards I do 20 minutes of low impact cardio to get my blood pumping a bit. Then I cool down on the hydromassage beds. It's too soon to tell if my workouts are working out, but the massage beds are life. My stress levels have been greatly reduced.

Any other day that I go to the gym is considered a bonus workout. Last night's bonus consisted of abs, elliptical and the stationary bike. Some bonus workouts are all on the treadmill. It just depends on how I'm feeling. I hope all is well with everyone and let's keep pushing towards our goals!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:wave:

Hi, all. I'm still here!

Here's part of what I wrote in my initial post in this thread:
  • Current Length:
    Crown: 9.5"
    Back: 7.5
    "
  • 2017 Goal Length:
    Crown: 16+"
    Back: 14+"
My update is below!

Drinking water: I currently get at minimum 32 ounces plus a large cup of tea. I need to increase this by simply committing to finishing my portable filter water bottle ONCE before noon and then again before bed.

Eating clean: I am currently following a vegan diet and feeling amazing. Will likely transition to pesco-vegan eventually.

Exercising: I am prepping for a marathon. At the moment I'm doing mainly elliptical work to strengthen my heart. The plan is to add walking, exercise biking, jump roping, jogging, kettle belling, and dancing soon.

Keeping ends moisturized:
I am currently doing so using Jakeala's Shea Amla Parfait under EarthTones Naturals Gelly and LOVING it. :drool:

Wash/cowash schedule: I wash every 5-7 days, just depending on how dry/shrunken my hair is. :yep:

The products and tools I use in my ayurvedic hair regimen are shown in my signature below.

Basic regimen is to every 5-7 days:
  1. Section hair with 6-10 Goody updo barrettes (recommended and sold by Kimmaytube at her website)
  2. Prepoo with DC (such as Pure O.N.E. Beauty's Red Palm Oil and Hibiscus Mud Prepoo Mask) and detangle with KareCo Tangle Buster brush
  3. Rinse or cleanse scalp and strands with Soultanicals Soulvedic Poo Bar or sometimes just water (chelate once a month)
  4. Deep condition with Soultanicals Afrotastic Curl Elastic (apply Colorful Neutral Protein Filler underneath when needed)
  5. Hydrate with aloe Vera juice
  6. Seal with Jakeala's Shea Amla Parfait :drool:
  7. Style with EarthTones Natural Gelly
  8. Apply Asha & Miel Edge Genesis to edges and massage in for 3 minutes or so
  9. Wear a ponytailed puff, elongated wash and go, twist out, or Conair Wave Clips set
Scalp and edge massages: I am working my way up to using my scalp massager to massage in my DIY CurlyProverbz Ayurvedic Hair Growth oil on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. I also use Etsy's Asha and Miel's Edge Genesis on my edges and massage that in.

Right: Currently is about 11 and 1/4 inches . . . December 31, 2017 goal is 12 and 1/4 inches, minimally. :smile:
Back: Currently is about 11 and 1/2 inches . . . December 31, 2017 goal is 12 and 1/2 inches, minimally. :smile:

WP_20170828_004 - Copy.jpg

WP_20170828_015 - Copy.jpg

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Good job so far @YvetteWithJoy . I need to take a page from your book.

Thanks!

Health/Fitness/Body/Weight
This morning I did Just Dance (Xbox) with our 7 year old. I could only do 2 songs before I was completely tired! I will build up my cardiovascular strength and health. :yep: I absolutely love this activity: It is so win, win, win!

I ate vegan today, again. Still loving it and the way my body feels. I'm still doing intermittent fasting by eating between 7:30 AM and 3:30 PM and the rest of the time only drinking.
Hair
It is washed, detangled, deep conditioned, and chunky twisted under my black Slap Cap. Ends are lubricated with Jakeala's Shea Amla Parfait. Edges are treated with Asha and Miel Edge Genesis ULTRA Oil.

I need to stop avoiding styling: I really, really, really want to try the style below. Being a newbie flat-twister is what's stalling me out. ;)

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Thanks!

This morning I did Just Dance (Xbox) with our 7 year old. I could only do 2 songs before I was completely tired! I will build up my cardiovascular strength and health. :yep: I absolutely love this activity: It is so win, win, win!

I ate vegan today, again. Still loving it and the way my body feels. I'm still doing intermittent fasting by eating between 7:30 AM and 3:30 PM and the rest of the time only drinking.
Hair
It is washed, detangled, deep conditioned, and chunky twisted under my black Slap Cap. Ends are lubricated with Jakeala's Shea Amla Parfait. Edges are treated with Asha and Miel Edge Genesis ULTRA Oil.

I need to stop avoiding styling: I really, really, really want to try the style below. Being a newbie flat-twister is what's stalling me out. ;)

I am so trying this tonight!! Thanks boo

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I am so trying this tonight!! Thanks boo

You're welcome, love.

I'm so excited about this technique: Another few YTers have discussed how this is a very protective way of doing the hair. You can wear the two twists for days, and it's pretty cute. Then you take down the twists for a gorgeous twist out.

I don't know if I have the length everywhere for this (my hair is very layered), but if not I can be practicing flat twisting at the crown anyway, in the meanwhile.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
  • Yesterday I did 30 minutes on the elliptical at the house.
  • I'm still eating vegan and absolutely loving it.
  • I'm still eating on an intermittent fasting shedule.
  • Still taking my chewable chorella/spirulina tablet.
  • I'm still getting less water than I want an being less consistent with my multivitamin than I want. I know it's because it requires taking 3. I love these vitamins, but next time I'm purchasing the one-a-day version, though it is less powerful, I believe. I figure I'll get more out of not missing a day than taking the 3 here and there.
Hair
Currently wearing a twist out, with some of the hair having been flat-twisted and some of the hair having been a regular 2-strand twist. I styled it with Jakeala's Shea Amla Parfait.

Also, last night I massaged my DIY CurlyProverbz Ayurvedic Hair Growth Oil into my scalp with my electronic scalp massager. :up:

BellaRose

Body:
Back in the gym 3 days a week. Yesterday did legs. However as I am changing my diet I feel so weak. Low energy. Reducing eating rice/ bread but yesterday i had both and I felt like crap when it came to working out. Increasing my veggies. I believe this time I'll be able to stick to it but it's difficult to eliminate the white carbs..so far. Have you ladies felt that way? Oh and water intake is horrendous.

Hair:
I took out the braids. Decided a month was good enough as I was worried about my hair below. Had the back in twists before i added the hair so i"m presently undoing them. Those ends looked good. The front of my head where i had cornrows the ends looked jacked. So i will trim the front. Will try one of Naturally Michy's protective styles.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My weight hasn't budged in 2 weeks despite cutting calories and burning a ton of calories. I feel like most of the weight is from my monthly gain... I hope it drops off soon, so I can see if my hard work is paying off.

Oh and I got a new high cut sports bra today. I hate having cleavage, because at 5' anyone can just look down my shirt/bra.

BellaRose

Current Length: Front:12" slightly past APL , Left:11" APL, right: 10.5" slightly short of APL , Back: 11" slightly short of BSL

Hair update, didn't do one earlier. It's no difference. Front- 12 1/4"=, left 11, right 10 1/4, back 11.
Will be incorporating GHE in my regimen. Have to get the moisture. Need new veggies besides broccoli in my diet.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm here with you, @BellaRose!

I know I've gained weight in the process of moving from vegan to pesco-vegan to pescatarian eating. I'm snacking too much, exercising too little. A close friend was hinting about it just this week. And I'm tired now.

I'm going to go in this last quarter and make it work. I know there is a healthy version of pescatarian eating that I'm not doing. More green smoothies, fish or shrimp in green salads, fruit, etc. I can't believe I've been eating French fries! I've just been on the run so much, and I was avoiding meat. Fries were easy, but not helpful!

On a good note: Chlorella/spirulina tablets are awesome, and I'm actually taking them. Water intake is decent. Restricting meat consumption to low-mercury seafood feels great!

I'm going to start a 10-day Green Smoothie cleanse on Monday and develop healthy pescatarian meals while I'm doing it so I'll be ready.