2017 Hair Growth And Weight Loss Challenge (jan-dec)

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
Lord help me Jesus.

I've fallen off y'all. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure if I joined this earlier this year, :lachen:. But I need help so I'll be lurking this challenge. I bought some healthier groceries yesterday to get started. I will also begin exercising this week. I will be calories counting and exercising in order to lose some weight and get in shape.

Things need to change this week. I have very few workout clothes so I'm going to see if I can find some cheap pieces maybe tomorrow.

BellaRose

Keeping my hair care simple. Leaving my hair in the same 12 twists and I wash, condition and moisturize in them. I'm seeing a difference with my hairline. It's filling in and I'm glad.

Working out and eating is going well. My instructor doesn't want me to go crazy with diet as I told him as soon as you tell me don't eat something, it affects my eating overall because I will tend to under eat. So he advised me to eat as clean as possible.

faithVA

I keep forgetting I am in this challenge :nono:

I haven't done a lick of exercise since the triathlon. I have been so busy with my new job and a ton of appointments. I am getting back to it though. I did some yoga today to start stretching my muscles out. My goal is to ride my bike at least twice this week.

Fortunately my job keeps me so busy I don't have time to overeat because I barely have time to eat. When I get home I typically just eating a veggie and a protein and call it a day. I have fell in love with breakfast bowls so getting my fruits and veggies in.

I need to vary my breakfast. For lunch I've been doing Healthy Choice meals because the calories are low, the price is right and the sodium isn't super crazy. They also have several that are gluten free which works for me.

Not doing anything exceptional with my hair. Just trying to be patient and stick with this flat twist game. I'm still sticking to my styles for a month at a time. But from here on out I will do each style for 5 weeks and then rotate to a new style. So 3 styles for 5 weeks each puts me mid February. That will be a good time to assess what I want to do from there.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hair
I tried a lot of things this year at a brisk rate because I really want to hone in on a great regimen so that I can go on cruise. :yep: I am starting to be "over" the whole length obsession. (Yay!). I just want healthy, gorgeous hair at whatever length. I know the length will come. :yep:

I learned a lot, made a lot of discoveries, and made a lot of strides!

Styling:
I utilize wigs to allow me to DC and GHE in chunky twists during the day. I also wear chunky twist outs and sleek(er) twist outs. These are MUCH better than the wash and go, for me. I still secretly wish I could get my wash and go's to look like my chunky twist outs. :smile:
Products:
I am in love with this year's identified staples and holy grails! Ayurveda has focused me. I love it.

Currently my focal products are:

Cantu ACV Root Rinse (staple), Soultanicals Soulvedic Poo Bar (holy grail), CurlyProverbz DIY oil (staple), CurlyProverbz tea (holy grail), Shea Moisture Manuka Honey masque (staple), Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion (holy grail), Jakeala Shea Amla Parfait (staple, possibly a holy grail), Jakeala Shiloh Hair Balm (holy grail), and Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (holy grail).

I can hardly WAIT to try: Henna Sooq hair nourisher, Henna Sooq Coveda Shampoo Bar, Henna Sooq Soapnut Shampoo Bar, Henna Sooq sedr powder, SM Yucca strong hold gel (that Biosilk is expensive!), and Soultanicals Carrot Dew shampoo (ingredients are bomb!).
Handling:
I'm still concerned about the amount of brushing I do. I'm trying to minimize the amount of tangling, SSKs, and ends breakage. I try to keep it calm when I see ends breakage and just keep trying to improve. I'm trying to just go with the flow. It's a learning process, and I will get there eventually. I've been dusting and searching and destroying.​

Weight
It's been maintaining. Little One's school schedule has changed a few times, and it's made it challenging to keep to my exercise schedule. I need to just make it happen. If I went to bed at 9:30 and arose at 4:30, I could make it happen. :yep: I need to COMMIT to getting the fitness, health, tone, and weight -- the body -- that would have me feeling like a baddie!!! :smile:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I lost 200lbs last week... (split with man). This week hasn't been too bad. I eat a lot less and I'm waking up earlier, moving more. I'm down like 3lbs this week.

I'm going to The Price is Right live in January, so I have to get this waist snatched.

Evolving78

I really need to get it together! I know ya’ll might not think it’s much but I’m at 121-122 now! My name is shortdub for a reason! :lachen: I don’t look like miss piggy yet, but I need to get some order quick. I will be eating salads and drinking smoothies for the rest of this month.. I will throw in some butter flavored rice cakes for a snack. Those are only 35 calories..

I got some liquid collagen that is suppose to be taken at night.

I need to stick to my Reggie to the letter. Wash and condition 2x a week.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Last month ladies... Let's do our best to pull through. Lose 0.5 oz or gain half inch we will be successful.

Aha! Would you be willing to host this same challenge renamed as "Nutrition, Water, and Exercise for Hair Growth Challenge 2018"? There was a water challenge that fell off, so it would be like a combo of that one and this one.

There is good interest in it in @faithVA's Challenge 2018 thread.

BellaRose

Aha! Would you be willing to host this same challenge renamed as "Nutrition, Water, and Exercise for Hair Growth Challenge 2018"? There was a water challenge that fell off, so it would be like a combo of that one and this one.

There is good interest in it in @faithVA's Challenge 2018 thread.

Really? Will check out that challenge. I don't mind hosting again although i think sticking to my plan is my issue. lol

BellaRose

Question: Can semi permanent dye damage the hair? I'm asking here but i believe i can ask elsewhere also. I have a bottle which i wanted to use for my bday but maybe it can be for my anniversary instead.

faithVA

Question: Can semi permanent dye damage the hair? I'm asking here but i believe i can ask elsewhere also. I have a bottle which i wanted to use for my bday but maybe it can be for my anniversary instead.
If you stick to the directions you should be OK. I've used all types and haven't had any problem with semi-permanent. The demi and permanent gave me issues with my ends.

BellaRose

Results are in!
Weight 152.4 lbs (loss of 2.6 lbs)
Hair: Front 13", right 11". left 11", back 12" (gained 1" front, 0.5" right and 1" back, left side basically same)

Reaction/Reflections
I'm glad i lost something for the year. Wished i kept to 150.4 but I'm guessing it's because that time is coming hence the increase. I know my hair grows slow but geez. Oh well i didn't lose any length but thickness is something else.

Although i stopped the gym in October i should have continued with home workouts but i got lazy. Thank God i didn't overeat for the holidays. I have started doing sporadic workouts and stair walking in preparation for the new year and I will have an end of year workout today.
My hair is prepped for crochet braids to be installed today. Starting the year protective styling. May look into doing more for the new year instead of low maintenance styling. New challenge for the new year.

BellaRose

As I close off this challenge I do want to say I did my last workout for the year last night, a FitnessBlender upper body workout and made a conscious effort to drink more water for the whole of yesterday (which i was slacking off with). I weighed at 151.8 lbs this morning. Yay!! lol Smh

Happy New Year everyone! :dance7:

This challenge is officially closed. For 2018, please head over to the Nutrition Exercise and Water for hair growth challenge 2018.