2017 Hair Growth And Weight Loss Challenge (jan-dec)

NaturalShe94

Im late! So sorry! But, would love to join this! Still possible for meee?!!!:prettyplease:

Hair Goals

Current Length:
BSL

2017 Goal Length:
HL
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed:
Natural

How you will achieve goal:
Retaining Length as much as possible by protective styling and keeping consistent with my regimen also keeping my ends moisturized as much as possible. My hair loves protein so I use a lot of strengthing products vs moisurizing products. But, keeping the balance is important so, that is key.

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight:
135 lbs

Goal Weight and/or Goal Inches to lose:
120 lbs

I had stopped working out and literally started eating everything unhealthy in site for about a month straight, even stuffing myself with burgers and brownies when I wasnt even hungry or peckish... Just because "it was there" and I gained 14 lbs (from 123 to 138) but I managed to lose 3 lbs since. I plan to keep working out twice a week as usual, keep healthy and unprocessed foods out of my diet, and continue making my veggie/fruit shakes, which help a lot.

NaturalShe94

Hair Goals
Current Length: Front:12" slightly past APL , Left:11" APL, right: 10.5" slightly short of APL , Back: 11" slightly short of BSL
2017 Goal Length: Full BSL
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: natural
Low manipulation and protective styles, moisture/protein balance. My hair is braided at the root and twisted the length and styled in a canerow/cornrow down the back of my head. Will try to keep this in for the month. Moisturise and seal every other day and wash once a week.

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 70.6kg/ 155lbs
Goal Weight and/or Goal Inches to lose: 65kg/145 lbs
To start off the year, I am taking some free self defense classes for January up to Carnival (Trinidad) in February. I am also combining that with walking the 14 flights of stairs to get to my office. Major leg and lung burn. lol. Will be doing that for the time being. Drinking more water, eating less snacks.

Are you Caribbean by any chance??

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
30 mins on the bike today (4 miles).

My calories for the day are pretty low. Eating gluten free is not as hard as I thought it would be. I just have to look out for hidden gluten in sauces and anything processed.

BellaRose

I gave up flour for a couple of weeks. When i started eating it again, i noticed my stomach looked higher like bloated. So i'm thinking of giving up flour for good. I realised i didn't really crave for it much except maybe pasta. Right now im feeling like im back to square one. Im frustrated that my body is taking long to drop the weight quickly like it used to years ago. MIssed the gym this week and ate flour for the past 2 weeks. Smh. Will get back to it from today though. Will do some home workouts and no flour. I need to follow a diet plan.

@KinksAndInk You will get there slowly but surely.

@YvetteWithJoy I have a graduation to prep for too! Gotta aim for a curvy toned body for November.

@faithVA what is a digestive diet? You seem to find some interesting diets to use.

faithVA

I gave up flour for a couple of weeks. When i started eating it again, i noticed my stomach looked higher like bloated. So i'm thinking of giving up flour for good. I realised i didn't really crave for it much except maybe pasta. Right now im feeling like im back to square one. Im frustrated that my body is taking long to drop the weight quickly like it used to years ago. MIssed the gym this week and ate flour for the past 2 weeks. Smh. Will get back to it from today though. Will do some home workouts and no flour. I need to follow a diet plan.

@KinksAndInk You will get there slowly but surely.

@YvetteWithJoy I have a graduation to prep for too! Gotta aim for a curvy toned body for November.

@faithVA what is a digestive diet? You seem to find some interesting diets to use.
Try a gluten free pasta that is maybe a blend of rice, corn, quinoa. That may get you through.

I follow several diets by a nutritionist Haylie Pomroy. She considers her diets prescriptions for fixing internal issues. She tells you what combinations to eat, when to eat, how often etc. It isn't a weight loss plan it's purely a nutrition plan to fix the body without medicine. Her plans are tough but they work well for me. I've eliminated the gas, bloating, excess weight and am much more regular.

faithVA

I started my cholesterol program yesterday. I wasn't happy with the news I got from my doctor on Wednesday so I'm getting back on track. The sugar and splurging are out.

It was easier to jump to the new plan than I thought it would be. It's a lot more food. Let's see if my weight holds. It's 3 to 6 months. I hope to see some definition changes in my blood pressure in 30 days. Midway i will have labs done with my annual physical.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@faithVA, very neat. Thanks for sharing.
@BellaRose, thanks. And, I feel you!

Everyone:
:heart: :wavey: I've read your posts! Thanks for sharing! Keep up the good work!

Weight
Okay. I have a plan.
  1. Take the detox drink I learned about at the forum that clears me completely out.
  2. Do the DivasCanCook version of the 7-day Cabbage Diet.
  3. Alternate days of toning and cardio exercising, taking one day a week off.:strong:
Hair
I did a practice run with the deep wave curlformers. Meh. Details are here: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/deep-wave-curlformers-hmmmm.785891/page-4#post-23816051.

Thus, for the April Styles 2017 Challenge, for next week's style I'll go ahead and do/submit the flexirod set I practiced.​

faithVA

Made it through day 2 of no sugar and no gluten. The coffee was calling me though but I made it. I'm going to have carrots for my snack.
For each day of no candy and gluten I'm putting 5 dollars in my wardrobe account. Maybe at the end of 30 days I will have a nice sum to buy some new dresses.
$10 down. $140 to go.

Aggie

Morning Ladies!

Update:

- Clarified my hair with Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo
- Moisture Pooed with Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo
- Protein DC with Inahsi Mango Hemp Restorative Hair Masque mixed with a little of Dudley's DRC 28 Protein Treatment
- Moisture DC with Redken All Soft Heavy Cream mixed with Bobeam Buttercream Conditioner.
- Leave-in - InahsiNaturals Aloe Hibiscus Leave-in Conditioner

- Later will be heavy sealing with Mizani H2O Intense Night-Time Treatment sealed with MHC Type 4 Hair Creme.

BellaRose

I'm cowashing my hair 3 times a week now using Herbal Essence conditioner. I think that brand works for my hair. The Suave I'm using makes my hair feel like straw. Thinking of mixing the two to finish the Suave. Other days i will just rise my hair. I've gotten hair lazy. I used to be so into trying products...

NaturalShe94

I'm cowashing my hair 3 times a week now using Herbal Essence conditioner. I think that brand works for my hair. The Suave I'm using makes my hair feel like straw. Thinking of mixing the two to finish the Suave. Other days i will just rise my hair. I've gotten hair lazy. I used to be so into trying products...

Feeling like straw? Sounds like a protein overload.... I use suave for my cowashes.... I missed my wash and DC day on Sunday because I went out and got home midnight then also was tipsy so I def wasnt doing my hair lol. Im definitely paying for it now though because my scalp is on FIRE! Itching like crazy. I water washed and put in a leave it and plaited it up in a bun so my hair shaft and ends are still moist. But, ughhh, I don't want to wash in the middle of the week so I'll have to keep do my best to keep it moisturized until Sunday again.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:wave:

Okay, fam. I think I've acquired everything I need to get disciplined.

Quick aside: I recently had to go in hard working to submit my thesis. The last few weeks, I've been trying to reset/relax and come down off of that intensity. So, I took the pressure off and was just kind of "being" without putting myself on a whole bunch of schedules, requirements, and the like.

I think I've had enough days of that type of unplugging such that now I'm feeling reset. What I want to do now is infuse a bit of consistency/regularity/discipline into my hair care and fitness regimens.​

Hair Desires and the Products/Tools I Want To Use
I want to develop some kind of weekly styling schedule that makes sense as it progresses over the week. I have the Kimmaytube hair clips I can use to section my hair for washing and detangling. I have a spool of fold over elastic from Hobby Lobby that I can use to make the bands that Naptural85 uses to band her wash-and-go's. I have flexirods and deep wave curl formers. I want to focus on the Camille Rose Naturals products, alternating gel between the CRN gel and the Curl Prep gel. Maybe I'll try a weekly styling schedule that goes something like this:
  1. Thursday: Full wash day to result in an elongated wash-and-go via Naptural85's method of letting her wngo shrink, then once it dries fully applying butter and banding it in 6 sections with Ouchless fold-over tie elastic HEADbands to elongate it. AT NIGHT: Reband so it stays stretched and untangled.
  2. Friday: Rewear/refresh the elongated wash-and-go
  3. Saturday: Rewear/refresh the elongated wash-and-go
  4. Sunday: Rewear/refresh the elongated wash-and-go
  5. Monday: Transform elongated wash-and-go into a bun or ponytail with edges done
  6. Tuesday: Rewear bun or ponytail with edges styled
  7. Wednesday: Wear a twist-out, braid-out, flexirod set, African thread-out, curlformer set, etc.
Rationale: Gets the most of the wash-and-go, as this video advises. Keeps hair stretched. Equates to just one day a week of manipulation (the Wednesday style). Allows me to practice styling regularly (the Wednesday style).​

Fitness/Health Desires and the Resources/Tools I Want To Use

I'm about to do a detox then do the Divas Can Cook 7-Day Cabbage Diet. For exercise, I want to jump rope, do interval walking/jogging, do kettle belling, do the abs total body workout video I have, ride my exercise bike, and do favorite YouTube dance videos.

I request your prayers for focus and commitment. Many thanks, and vibes for your current health and hair efforts!

BellaRose

Feeling like straw? Sounds like a protein overload.... I use suave for my cowashes.... I missed my wash and DC day on Sunday because I went out and got home midnight then also was tipsy so I def wasnt doing my hair lol. Im definitely paying for it now though because my scalp is on FIRE! Itching like crazy. I water washed and put in a leave it and plaited it up in a bun so my hair shaft and ends are still moist. But, ughhh, I don't want to wash in the middle of the week so I'll have to keep do my best to keep it moisturized until Sunday again.

Good thing that i'm cowashing more often to counteract the feeling. Protein overload was the last thing on my mind though. I thought i was not moisturising enough.

Body wise, i have not been in the gym since 2 Saturdays ago and I'm slowly fixing my diet. Hmm... terrible. Increasing my fruit intake and water now.

faithVA

Just
Just throw the Suave out. It's not expensive enough to try to salvage at the expense of your hair. I could never get Suave or V05 to work for me.

faithVA

I want some coffee but im going to drink this water first and see if the craving passes. If I drink it now I won't want to eat my snack at 1130.

NaturalShe94

Good thing that i'm cowashing more often to counteract the feeling. Protein overload was the last thing on my mind though. I thought i was not moisturising enough.

Body wise, i have not been in the gym since 2 Saturdays ago and I'm slowly fixing my diet. Hmm... terrible. Increasing my fruit intake and water now.

Definitely need to moisturize more. Suave is cheap but it works well for my hair. Its not a heavy conditioner, its light and moisturizing. I use the Coconut Milk one though so idk if that has anything to do with it.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm down 3lbs since last week!

I started the day with a cardio and strength training workout with dh. Then we went to Home Depot and took on a diy project (homemade planters for the garden).

Tonight my bff is coming for dinner. I am making gluten free spiral pasta with marinara and ground beef. I may sprinkle some cheese on there, because cheese goes great with pretty much everything.

I hope y'all are having a great day!