2017 Hair Growth And Weight Loss Challenge (jan-dec)

Alma Petra

You have whole year to try. Even if it's just to lose 3 lbs and grow 3 inches. You'll be 3 lbs lighter and have 3 " longer hair than the start of the year. Also if you feel you may not achieve excellent results at least you know you have taken steps to get there. :)

You make a lot of sense there! I think that joining might help me to become more disciplined regarding what and how much I eat.

Alma Petra

Alright! Let's see....

Hair Goals:

Current Length: Hovering above BSL

2017 Goal Length: Reach BSL

Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: A mixture of all three

How you will achieve goal: I'm supposed to protective style more in the form of buns and to wash and detangle only once per week.

Weight/Fitness Goals:

Current Weight: 49 kg without my clothes :giggle:

Goal Weight and/or Goal Inches to lose: I don't know how many kilograms I have to lose more. I already have a decent BMI even though I'm short at 157 cm, but I wish I can get rid of all that tummy fat. I have also recently bought a one-piece swimsuit because I want to learn to swim and I discovered that I have huge upper thighs and excess bum fat which made me go and buy a pair of shorts to wear with the swimsuit. I need to tackle all of this. I'll try to lose weight slowly, maybe 1 kg per month, and watch to see if my body changes favourably or not.

How you will achieve goal: Diet. I also walk often, and maybe swimming can help if I get to do it often enough.

Daina

Alright! Let's see....

Hair Goals:

Current Length: Hovering above BSL

2017 Goal Length: Reach BSL

Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: A mixture of all three

How you will achieve goal: I'm supposed to protective style more in the form of buns and to wash and detangle only once per week.

Weight/Fitness Goals:

Current Weight: 49 kg without my clothes :giggle:

Goal Weight and/or Goal Inches to lose: I don't know how many kilograms I have to lose more. I already have a decent BMI even though I'm short at 157 cm, but I wish I can get rid of all that tummy fat. I have also recently bought a one-piece swimsuit because I want to learn to swim and I discovered that I have huge upper thighs and excess bum fat which made me go and buy a pair of shorts to wear with the swimsuit. I need to tackle all of this. I'll try to lose weight slowly, maybe 1 kg per month, and watch to see if my body changes favourably or not.

How you will achieve goal: Diet. I also walk often, and maybe swimming can help if I get to do it often enough.

@Alma Petra, food for thought on your regimen but if you incorporate weight and strength training as well as the cardio you propose it will help reshape and sculpt your body. Based on what you mentioned above sounds like in addition to losing weight you want to tone and shape as well. I've been lurking in this thread because my goal is not to lose weight but to strengthen and add lean muscle.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I just did a 45 minute workout and I burned 300 calories. Breakfast was egg tacos on corn tortillas with siracha.

Lunch will be Turkey, cheese and avocado roll ups with cucumber slices.

I'm taking my mom to dinner this evening, but I will most likely get salmon wherever I go.

Good work and nice, healthy menu for the day, @Prettymetty!

Weight/Health
Well, I started:
  1. I made the 7-day Cabbage Soup Diet soup last night. Family members dipped into it, so I'm going to have to make some more. But it's there and ready and waiting. :smile:
  2. This morning I took the 8 ounces of the detox drink I take before jump starting dieting. I learned about it from LHCF. It was horrible tasting (this is my second time taking it). I literally could only drink about 2 ounces at a time, gargling with apple juice for 30 seconds after (yes--literally gargling).
This should start the detox, get me all cleared out, and make way for a great 7 days of cabbage soup, fruits, vegetables, and healthy protein. I'll do an initial weigh-in after the detox drink has done its work. ;)

Hair
Even though I just did my hair the other day, I did it again today for several reasons:
  • Mom was kind enough to come over and watch DS#2, and I'm almost conditioned to think, "Free hair time!!!!!!!" when she does that. :lol:
  • I think I need a protein-free DC. Even though my last Komaza treatment was a little time ago, the effects are still going VERY strong. I need my hair to "come off of" the protein treatment a little. I think a protein-free DC will help. :smile:
  • I wanted to wash out the elongated wash-and-go I'd done via Napural85's method of applying oil in the shower, then leave-in, then gel. (I used a foam/mousse instead of gel). My hair felt tacky because of the product layering, and I didn't completely like my curls. (However, I think if I use ONLY the foam/mousse and practice, I'll really like it).
So, I mud-poo'd with Sheaterra (felt AMAZING) and left it in while I massaged into my scalp the Silk Elements Pre-Cleanse Scalp Treatment. I tried to do a really GOOD scalp massage like my old stylist from way back in the day used to do and grew my hair all down my back. ;) I am presently DC-ing with Annabelle's PerfectBlends Ultra Conditioning Souffle. I am not yet decided how I will moisturize, seal, and style.

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Mini challenge updates:
I am really enjoying water. I drink it cold, room temperature, with lemon, with acv, plain and flavored. I feel like it is helping to keep me regular.

I was blessed with a break from all 4 kids, so I've had a lot of quiet time to meditate and relax.

I'm tired of styling my hair so I will go check out some wigs later this evening. I will still keep up with my coconut oil prepoos, weekly wash and dc.

faithVA

This is day 9 of daily salads. So far so good. This cholesterol program is going fairly well especially since it is really my first week. I need to dial back my healthy fats just a bit because my body is struggling to process the quantity this plan calls for. I also need to drop the grapes from my fruit selection. Either one of those or both could be the reason my weight has been slowly climbing.

I have been monitoring my blood pressure and so far it is looking better than it has in a long time. When I reach the 30 day mark I will go to the pharmacy and have them measure my blood pressure for an official record.

Hairwise, I'm doing a protein treatment, flat iron, trim and length check this weekend. I've already started this long arduous process :lol:

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Update:

I did the post-detox weigh-in. It read 138.0 pounds. I feel great. For the next 10 days, eating is easy.

Right now I'm wearing a wig over my dried two strand twists. The reason: No time to untwist. Mom came over at 7 AM because she has no garage sale partner, so I'm it. I hate garage sales. She has loved them for my whole life. :smile: At least I'm getting a lot of walking in. We'll do this for HOURS and HOURS today. She helps me so much, so I'm here. But it is FREEZING this morning. Did I mention I HATE garage sale-Ing?

:meditate:
*returning to my peaceful place*

Last edited:

faithVA

Here is my hair check-in. I'm hoping my hair was focused more on thickening up versus growth and it is getting ready to ramp up some growth now that spring is here.

Attachments

• 20170422_121942.jpg
    20170422_121942.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20170422_122142.jpg
    20170422_122142.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20170422_122215.jpg
    20170422_122215.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 5

Alma Petra

Yay!! Welcome @Alma Petra . You will not regret your decision.

Thank you so much dear! Looking forward to this journey!

@Alma Petra, food for thought on your regimen but if you incorporate weight and strength training as well as the cardio you propose it will help reshape and sculpt your body. Based on what you mentioned above sounds like in addition to losing weight you want to tone and shape as well. I've been lurking in this thread because my goal is not to lose weight but to strengthen and add lean muscle.

Thank you for the great advice! I have been looking at the ladies who do weight lifting on Instagram and they have amazing bodies. And they make it look like anybody can get similar results through persistence and perseverance. I will look into joining a gym for the purpose. And I know that will have to go slow so as not to burn out but why do I suspect that I will go for 2 or 3 days and then just disappear? Lol.

BellaRose

Hair:
Washed hair in twists with African black soap. I don't put the actual soap on my hair. I lather the soap in my hand and use the lather to wash my scalp and pass my hands down the twists. Left it in for a few minutes and rinse. This soap leaves a waxy feeling to my hair after i rinse.
I then apply (gasp) the Suave conditioner to remove the feeling. I conditioned again with the Herbal Essence Morrocan My Shine conditioner.
Undo half the twists and apply African Pride shea butter Miracle buttery creme to the damp hair, Cantu Shea Butter leave in conditioning cream, detangle with shampoo comb? and retwist. Repeat on other half then apply 30 drops each side of Wild Growth hair oil. Massage scalp with the oil. Style in large twists.

faithVA

Finally got back on my bike and did 50 minutes. Spent a lot of time adjusting my seat so next time should be a bit smoother. It's rainy here so going to get some indoor riding in so I'm ready for the outdoor season.

Hopefully this will help me drop some pounds. I'm also trying out my theory of drinking my vitamin water while I'm working out to see if it enhances the effects. I'm hoping the vitamins, working out, eating right and the good weather translate into some extra hair growth, a better looking body and just better health in general.

Daina

Thank you so much dear! Looking forward to this journey!

Thank you for the great advice! I have been looking at the ladies who do weight lifting on Instagram and they have amazing bodies. And they make it look like anybody can get similar results through persistence and perseverance. I will look into joining a gym for the purpose. And I know that will have to go slow so as not to burn out but why do I suspect that I will go for 2 or 3 days and then just disappear? Lol.

Sometimes going to a gym can feel overwhelming like a chore. Start at home 3 days a week. You can get things like resistance bands, ankle weights and use your own body weight to get started. The book Strong Curves by Bret Contreras is awesome. Once you start seeing results or simply feeling stronger it's contagious and it will make you want more. It can help you get the momentum to go to the gym. I've been doing his program for about a month and it has changed my body and desire to get in shape! Good luck!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Sometimes going to a gym can feel overwhelming like a chore. Start at home 3 days a week. You can get things like resistance bands, ankle weights and use your own body weight to get started. The book Strong Curves by Bret Contreras is awesome. Once you start seeing results or simply feeling stronger it's contagious and it will make you want more. It can help you get the momentum to go to the gym. I've been doing his program for about a month and it has changed my body and desire to get in shape! Good luck!

Great tip, @Daina.

My greatest successes have occurred when I worked a great home program. I'll share some of what I have at home, in case it provides ideas:
I also do dance routines on YouTube (there's a thread about great YouTube workout routines/channels at LHCF). Lastly, there's always walking and jogging!

Sometimes a gym is great because working out with others is motivating. I find I just never make it to the gym. :lol: But if I wake up 45 minutes earlier, I can get a workout at home in, quite easily. Do you have someone at home that could nudge you to be accountable at home?

And, the gym may end up being your thing, which is great!

I've been considering a personal trainer. I found coupons at Groupon.

BellaRose

Food wise, i haven't been able to leave the bread alone. However i m only eating it in the morning. That will just be for this week and next week i'll start fresh again. Still working on my water intake.

Exercise wise, I'll be doing my upper body pyramid workout today with my Jackie Warner dvd.

Hair wise, i bought a Carefree Curl Curl Activator Gold yesterday to moisturise my hair. Was trying to remember what products i used when i first started my journey. Then i remembered when i used to stalk, i mean, follow the site, i did the Jerry juice challenge and this product worked in keeping it moisturised. So i'm moisturising with this twice a day and sealing with my castor-olive oil mix. It's good so far.

BellaRose

I agree. Right now going to the gym feels like a chore. Need to muster some enthusiasm to workout there. Reaching there is one thing but focusing on getting a good workout is another. That's why i opt to workout at home today.

faithVA

So far I've earned $60 of the $150. Today's my bday so I'm giving myself a pass but not a big one. I ate according to plan but now I'm having a cup of hot chocolate for my bday treat. And it's so good and chocolatey. :lick: But it's back on plan tomorrow.

I can't wait to go shopping.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'll celebrate for all of ya. I am off-beat electric sliding as I type! :lol:

It's Day 4 of the Cabbage Soup Diet. I'm doing well but had a few cheats: I ate a 340-calorie Mediterranean wrap from Jason's Deli one day. Another day I had healthy chips.

Water intake is better. I don't want to weigh during my cycle, so I'll just wait.

Hairwise: My twistout is now a cute ponytail puff with side bangs. I will probably try to add that bunmaker donut/tool from Sally's to see if I can wear my first bun ever! *exciting*

This has been a low-manipulation four days, which is very good as I like to practice styling -- perhaps a bit too frequently for someone trying to grow her hair. ;)

BellaRose

Ok. So I'm being good today. I'm having my salad tonight in preparation of participating with the salad a day challenge. I'm aiming for my 1.5l of water in keeping with my water challenge. Ate my fruits too. Just to do my exercise now. Nice way to prep myself for next month.

NaturalShe94

Has anyone found a way to shake PMS cravings??? I've been failing at exercising lately, but, thats because we are short staffed at work and I've been working extra days and long hours to make up the coverage, but, on the plus side I do a job where I am on my feet the entire day and moving around. I drink a smoothie daily with veggies and fruits all blended (home made) but, it's pms time and the junk food craving is ON and I'm fighting with myself not to indugle! Some days I skip lunch, not by choice, so I'll have loads of water and drink tea then come home and eat dinner and take an extra vitamin to at least put some of the nutrients, that I missed, back in my body. But, greesy foods and carbs have been the temptation I'm trying to fight and I know its because Aunt Flow is near. Any suggestions?

Daina

Has anyone found a way to shake PMS cravings??? I've been failing at exercising lately, but, thats because we are short staffed at work and I've been working extra days and long hours to make up the coverage, but, on the plus side I do a job where I am on my feet the entire day and moving around. I drink a smoothie daily with veggies and fruits all blended (home made) but, it's pms time and the junk food craving is ON and I'm fighting with myself not to indugle! Some days I skip lunch, not by choice, so I'll have loads of water and drink tea then come home and eat dinner and take an extra vitamin to at least put some of the nutrients, that I missed, back in my body. But, greesy foods and carbs have been the temptation I'm trying to fight and I know its because Aunt Flow is near. Any suggestions?

@NaturalShe94, like @Prettymetty said I just go with it. I'm anemic so I already struggle that time of the month anyway. I do try to stay within reason and I also keep working out that week so I don't feel too bad. The next week or after it goes off I eat super clean to detox.