2017 Hair Growth And Weight Loss Challenge (jan-dec)

faithVA

Has anyone found a way to shake PMS cravings??? I've been failing at exercising lately, but, thats because we are short staffed at work and I've been working extra days and long hours to make up the coverage, but, on the plus side I do a job where I am on my feet the entire day and moving around. I drink a smoothie daily with veggies and fruits all blended (home made) but, it's pms time and the junk food craving is ON and I'm fighting with myself not to indugle! Some days I skip lunch, not by choice, so I'll have loads of water and drink tea then come home and eat dinner and take an extra vitamin to at least put some of the nutrients, that I missed, back in my body. But, greesy foods and carbs have been the temptation I'm trying to fight and I know its because Aunt Flow is near. Any suggestions?
You need to take a smoothie with you so you have something nutritional besides just water. Keep your fruit to 1 cup or less and at least 2 cups of greens. You need to up your green vegetable and vegetable intake the week prior. Keep your carbs to 1/2 cup servings twice a day. And get your lean protein in. Skip all dairy the week before and during.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
You need to take a smoothie with you so you have something nutritional besides just water. Keep your fruit to 1 cup or less and at least 2 cups of greens. You need to up your green vegetable and vegetable intake the week prior. Keep your carbs to 1/2 cup servings twice a day. And get your lean protein in. Skip all dairy the week before and during.
Does dairy increase bloating? I should chill with the cheese, but it's so good

NaturalShe94

Hmmm... Thanks! I will definitely try this...

Alma Petra

Sometimes going to a gym can feel overwhelming like a chore. Start at home 3 days a week. You can get things like resistance bands, ankle weights and use your own body weight to get started. The book Strong Curves by Bret Contreras is awesome. Once you start seeing results or simply feeling stronger it's contagious and it will make you want more. It can help you get the momentum to go to the gym. I've been doing his program for about a month and it has changed my body and desire to get in shape! Good luck!

You're spot on. I went to the gym in the past and couldn't tolerate to go more than 2 days. I felt very uncomfortable with all those strangers around. I think it takes getting used to. I wish I had a gym buddy.

I have read articles from Bret Contreras before and I was interested in doing his hip thrust exercise since he seemed to value it the most. But I couldn't come up with a good idea to do it at home. I lack the bench and weights too. Any suggestions of what I could buy for this?

Also I'm discouraged because I recognize that I have to start with body weight but I can't see myself progressing beyond this. I can't seem to understand the mechanism of progress from a certain weight to the next weight and so I can't see myself achieving it.

faithVA

Still doing well with no sweets and no gluten. I've lost count of the days. I will have to check my journal.

I FINALLY got some exercise in. Met up with the ladies and got a bike ride in. I rode 20 miles which were tough but it gets me back on track. I'm hoping this helps me to start dropping some of this extra weight. I also finished all the almonds. I don't think they agree with me as far as weight loss. I think my system tolerates pumpkin seeds much better.

I want to really maximize my bike riding in May and increase my speed, strength and endurance. I did great last year.

Daina

You're spot on. I went to the gym in the past and couldn't tolerate to go more than 2 days. I felt very uncomfortable with all those strangers around. I think it takes getting used to. I wish I had a gym buddy.

I have read articles from Bret Contreras before and I was interested in doing his hip thrust exercise since he seemed to value it the most. But I couldn't come up with a good idea to do it at home. I lack the bench and weights too. Any suggestions of what I could buy for this?

Also I'm discouraged because I recognize that I have to start with body weight but I can't see myself progressing beyond this. I can't seem to understand the mechanism of progress from a certain weight to the next weight and so I can't see myself achieving it.

@Alma Petra, trust me hip thrusts with no weights are very challenging. I just recently added a barbell and weights. It takes a minute to get the movement right. I do my hip thrusts using my couch. Resistance bands and ankle weights are also a great, cheap way to make the exercises more challenging.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Weight
I lost 7 pounds this time around with the 7-Day Cabbage Soup Diet. I feel good! However, I've lost tone because I stopped exercising while finishing my master's degree, and I have yet to start back up. Dropping the pounds and feeling lighter has me inspired to exercise, though. :yep: I plan to reintroduce exercising gradually -- with crunches and weights twice a week to start.

Hair
I purchased that new Cantu ACV root rinse. OMG! On first use, I looooove it. My scalp feels amazing (I had to follow the instructions and apply it twice, though, to really get that good and tingly effect everywhere and not just in spots.) I am so excited about using the CurlyProverbz DIY hair growth oil on my scalp after weekly application of the Cantu ACV root rinse. :smile:

I've reached a point where I have great products but don't need the number of steps that making use of them would entail. :lol: Example: The Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion has amaaaaaaaaazing slip. But I don't really need to apply leave-in under the Camille Rose Naturals "Style Setter," which I apply under gel. That's a lot of product for the fine strands on my head. The slip has me wanting to try the Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion as a detangler.

I'm currently feeling a STRONG urge to streamline and simplify. I have too many products right now to permit myself to purchase the Natty Naturals rhassoul DC, but I think if I did, I could combine the two steps of clay cleansing and DCing into one. In that case, my product usage lineup would look like this:
  1. Cleanse/detox scalp: Cantu ACV root rinse (inexpensive, available OTG)
  2. Detangle: Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion (somewhat pricey, available OTG)
  3. Protein treatment as needed: Colorful Protein Neutral Filler diluted in distilled water (inexpensive, available OTG)
  4. Deep condition: Natty Naturals rhassoul clay DC (pricey, only available online)
  5. Liquid: Aloe Vera juice spritz (inexpensive, available OTG)
  6. Oil: CurlyProverbz DIY hair growth oil mix (cost-effective enough, some components must be ordered online)
  7. Butter: Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water "Style Setter" (pricey, available OTG)
  8. Gel: Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker (pricey, available OTG) or Curl Prep Around the Way Gel (cost is okay, available only online)

Alma Petra

@Alma Petra, trust me hip thrusts with no weights are very challenging. I just recently added a barbell and weights. It takes a minute to get the movement right. I do my hip thrusts using my couch. Resistance bands and ankle weights are also a great, cheap way to make the exercises more challenging.
Awesome! I'll try my couch. I pray that it turns out to be the correct height and not too high.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Dh insisted that we work out for 2 hours today (since that is the max time for gym daycare). I did 30 minutes on the elliptical, then strength training (legs and abs) and finally I cooled down on the treadmill for 30 minutes.

This was my 3rd consecutive morning workout this week. I plan to go tomorrow and Friday. Not sure about the weekend though

Alma Petra

Sometimes going to a gym can feel overwhelming like a chore. Start at home 3 days a week. You can get things like resistance bands, ankle weights and use your own body weight to get started. The book Strong Curves by Bret Contreras is awesome. Once you start seeing results or simply feeling stronger it's contagious and it will make you want more. It can help you get the momentum to go to the gym. I've been doing his program for about a month and it has changed my body and desire to get in shape! Good luck!

So I have finally got my courage together and purchased the book that you recommended. I'm going through the very first pages now. Yay! Feeling hopeful! I will give you more feedback later.

Daina

So I have finally got my courage together and purchased the book that you recommended. I'm going through the very first pages now. Yay! Feeling hopeful! I will give you more feedback later.

@Alma Petra, yay :bouncegreen:I'm glad you picked it up! Definitely let me know how you like it, by the way I spent the first few weeks just learning the right movements and frame so don't get discouraged if it's difficult and first.

BellaRose

I walked home twice last week. Will try to get three walks in this week.
Body: Did P90X legs and back last night. Had a salad also.
Hair: Cowashed yesterday with my Herbal Essence and sealed with Wild hair growth. Put in large twists. Therefore i handled my hair two weeks ago when i did my large twists. Last week did a twistout but plaited it into a french braid and left it. Misted with my African Pride braid spray daily.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I completed a Total Body Workout this morning (the boys are with their grandparents, so I'm getting a lot done for me today! :headspin:) The Total Body Workout included

weight lifting,
crunches, and
deep stretching.

I couldn't do all the reps and had to rest a bit, but I did 80% to 100% of the reps for all the exercises. I feel great. Now, I'm headed to the store to purchase some organic maple and brown steel cut oatmeal, to which I will add milk and bananas and raw honey and pecans and a special peanut butter and flaxseed. :yep:

Hairwise, I haven't yet decided how I'll style my hair for Mother's Day. I think I want to do a chunky flat twist out OR a flexirod set. I'm not sure. Annnnnnnnd: I'm considering purchasing The Mane Choice DC because I refuse to repurchase my HG Shea Moisture hipo masque . . . and because The Mane Choice DC contains biotin and carrot seed oil.

Last edited:

BellaRose

Did P90 Chest and back on Wednesday. Then I took a rest for the rest of the week. Had some strong period pain. Will start back this week.

WeirdoBeauty

Sooooooo, I have been completely MIA for the past couple of months. I have really been struggling hard with both school and my depression. But, finals are done and I have moved past my depression for now. My diet was trash and I also stopped working out due to being stressed out from school. Despite that, I don't think I have gained any weight. I had an doctor's appointment earlier this month and it showed I lost a couple of pounds. However, I will go to the gym this week to confirm. Today Im starting everything over for a fresh start. Im going gorey shopping at TJ and Winco to stock up on healthy food for the rest of the month til my meal plan kicks in for summer. I will also be using this time to fully formulate and pull together a diet/lifestyle plan for the summer. Hair wise, I have had my hair up in crochet braids since spring break and I will take them down starting Monday and do a length check. BTW- I did a length check over spring break and I am officially APL.:afro::amen:

IronButterfly

New year, new you!!

Well, Ladies, can we do it? Absolutely! We're getting a bit of a late start to the year but it's never too late to get.your.life.

Challenge runs from January 8 - December 31, 2017
We will do updates at the end of March, June, September and December.

Special note: Sometimes the scale can be a liar!
You're working your butt off, eating right, lifting weights, cutting sugar and reducing carbs and that scale won't budge! The remedy to that is to not rely solely on the scale to determine your progress. I strongly recommend taking at least one accurate body measurement like your waist, thigh, or hips to see if you are losing inches. To make sure you're measuring in the same place each time, have someone take a picture while you hold the measuring tape.

Here are some links I've found helpful recently:

The Ultimate Weight Training Workout Routine
What Is The Best Way To Lose Weight Fast And Keep It Off?
Beginner Workouts – The Best Workout Routines For Beginners
The Beginner Weight Training Workout Routine

We need to hold each other accountable! Please post any challenges and successes, particularly any non-scale victories (NSVs!)

If you want in, just like this post and submit your stats (photos are optional)

Hair Goals
Current Length:
2017 Goal Length:
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed:
How you will achieve goal:

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight:
Goal Weight and/or Goal Inches to lose:
How you will achieve goal:

Challengers:
1. HappyAtLast
2. YvetteWithJoy
3. Aggie
4. NCHairDiva
5.sharifeh
6. KinksAndInk
7. BellaRose
8. faithVA
9. W04andia
10. prettywhitty
11.WeirdoBeauty
12. Prettymetty
13. NaturalShe94
14. Alma Petra

Group Goals

(Pre-challenge)
  • Substitute water for at least one sugary drink per day (soda, southern ice tea, sugar-filled coffees - you know, all those lattes, frappes, cappuccinos, etc)
  • 3 workouts per week (minimum of 30 minutes)
Is it too late to join? I hope not. I really packed on the pounds while I was in school and need some serious motivation to get rid of this tummy roll.

I was shocked my hair actually grew and I'd like to keep up that momentum.

Hair Goals
Current Length: Btwn shoulder and armpit
2017 Goal Length: Past arm pit.
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: Natural
How you will achieve goal: Keeping silicones in my reggie. Straightening infrequently. Wearing WnGs daily. Keeping a good protein/moisture balance.

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: I'm too scared to look! Proly in the 190's, though.
Goal Weight and/or Goal Inches to lose: By December I'd like to lose at least 30lbs.
How you will achieve goal: Cutting out the candy, cakes, pies, ice cream and cookies. Going to the gym a min of 3 x week for a min of 30 minutes. Increasing outdoor activities I can do with my son. Incorporating green juices/smoothies in my life.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Welcome back, @WeirdoBeauty! Welcome, @IronButterfly.

Weight/Fitness
  1. I ran, jogged, and walked today. I hadn't done it in so long. I just needed to get started again! I wasn't able to do much, but once I am able to, my health and weight will be on a great path. :smile:
  2. I have gained back some of the weight I lost from the last Cabbage Soup Diet round I did. Part of my major weight-related goals is to NOT do this yo-yo thing and just become fit, slim, and toned in a stabilized manner, as a matter of my natural eating and exercise habits, and not because I'm doing something "special," depriving myself, etc. Accordingly, I'm considering just incorporating the Cabbage Soup Diet into my monthly eating plan and not making it a "special" thing.
Hair
I have been doing twist outs and sets and so forth because I felt that wash-and-go's were giving me SSKs. This morning I did a cowash-and-go with a new-to-me gel, and I love it! Here are the products/method I used:
  • Sectioning: I clipped up two sections for the hair in the back of my head, and then I divided the rest of my hair into four sections, using the Kimmaytube-recommended updo clips.
  • Cowashing and de-webbing and elongating: I kept my hair in sections and in the shower used the Shea Moisture high porosity masque (saved my hair, which was so shrunken and tangled!!!).
  • Detangling leave-in and applying styler: Removing each updo clip section by section, I in the shower applied the Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion, detangling with it and flashing the hair section under the water to drive the product in and through my hair. Before moving on to the next section, I applied The Mane Choice biotin gel liberally via the praying hands method. I made sure to fully elongate the gelled hair section and squeezed out excess water and product before moving onto the next section.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Dh bought me a beautiful bodycon lace dress. It's red and I look hot even with a few extra lbs...

I think I'll wear the dress on my bday next month. By then this tummy will be deflated and hopefully my legs will be toned.

IronButterfly

Since I'm just getting back in the gym, I'm taking it slow for the first week or two. Did a 30 min walk/dance on the treadmill on Monday and did one work out for chest legs, back and abs today. I'm sure I will feel it tomorrow since I've been walking like a duck since my stint on the treadmill. lol

As far as hair, I'm sticking with my wash n gos until I have the energy to do something else.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Dh bought me a beautiful bodycon lace dress. It's red and I look hot even with a few extra lbs...

I think I'll wear the dress on my bday next month. By then this tummy will be deflated and hopefully my legs will be toned.

I can just imagine: You are going to STUN in that dress.

I arose around 4:35 AM to fully awaken and get my total body workout in. Felt REALLY good to be able to check of "exercised today" so quickly into the day! :yep: I'm hoping to turn exercise into a habit! :smile: :pray:

I created an LHCF media album for today's hair--day 2 Mane Choice gel wng. So far, so good!