2017 Share, Discuss, Design, And/or Improve Your Hair Care Regimen

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hi, all! :wavey:

This thread is for any and everybody: For those who have already nailed their regimen, are still tweaking and improving their regimen, or have no regimen and want one.

This is not another challenge, but instead a space for sharing, documenting, reflecting, asking questions, providing inspiration, and tip-giving.

Please post as OFTEN as is helpful! And, of course, pictures are great documentation, so please share those lovely hair pics!

---------

1. Tell us about your hair!
(Natural/texlaxed/relaxed? Healthy/damage? Fine or course strands? Densely dispersed strands? Length? Curl pattern? Color/colored/hennaed? Etc.)

2. What do you feel your hair's needs are?

3. Tell us about your current regimen. (Products, steps/actions/activities, etc.) What's working in your current regimen?

4. What are your regimen-improvement goals, if any?
(Fewer steps? Your improved consistency? Better styling? More protective styling? Less manipulation? Improved detangling? Improved setting/twisting/braiding? Better/different products? Greater thickness? Greater length? Less damage? Less time? Lower cost? Etc.)

5. Anything else you would like to share? (Tips? Questions? Links?)

Evolving78

1. Bone straight ends/texlaxed roots Fine with medium to high density. Low porosity with bleached ends high.

2.moisture/protein balance/hydration

3. Keracare and Design Essentials
I shampoo and dc twice a week
Prepoo oil treatment/detangle
Currently low manipulation style bun, or hair pinned up to avoid friction
M&S with Creme Of Nature SOE leave-in spray, Jojoba oil, DE lotion once a day, or as needed
WHGO 1-3 times a week on my new growth
Airdry/blow dry on warm/cool

4.moisturized strong hair, minimize breakage. Length for more styling options. Drinking more water for hydration as well.

5. N/A

YvetteWithJoy

On break
  • natural, healthy, fine strands, high density, layered from ear-length to a little below shoulder-length, 4a mainly, hennaed to being about a color 2
  • My hair needs to be kept stretched (not necessarily straight, though) to prevent severe tangling and knotting.
  • My hair needs a product or technique that will allow/cause multi-day moisture retention.
  • My hair needs split end prevention.
  • My edges need thickening.
3. Tell us about your current regimen.(Products, steps/actions/activities, etc.) What's working in your current regimen?
  • Weekly: Modified Max Hydration Method every Saturday night - Sunday morning:
    1. Detangle: Soultanicals Hair Glide
    2. Clarify: Jakeala ACV liquid shampoo or Shea Moisture Clear Start Shampoo (latter is discontinued)
    3. Condition: Jakeala (balancing) Beer Conditioner
    4. Treat with clay wash: Jakeala Honey Hair Thang Masque or Jakeala Matcha Green Tea Avocado Deep Conditioner
    5. Botanical leave-in: DevaCurl Decadence One Condition
    6. Botanical gel or oil or butter:
      1. on LENGTH: Mixture of Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
      2. on ENDS: Mixture of NetWurks Custard and DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    7. STYLE: Twist-out on first couple of days, turned into a high puff on the remaining days of the week. Spritz for moisture as needed throughout the week.
    8. PROTECT: Sleep in silk bonnet with satin bonnet on top to keep the silk one from slipping off during the night
(Fewer steps? Your improved consistency? Better styling? More protective styling? Less manipulation? Improved detangling? Improved setting/twisting/braiding? Better/different products? Greater thickness? Greater length? Less damage? Less time? Lower cost? Etc.)
  • All of the above in italics with the exception of greater thickness. I don't worry about thickness, really.

YvetteWithJoy

On break

Hair Education:
Ingredients and Their Effect Upon Hair:
Some YouTubers Who Add Inspiration and Health/Fitness into Their Hair Channels:

Last edited:

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Natural, mostly healthy, fine edges & nape, medium to coarse crown, varying densities (mostly normal to thick), I guess I'm a 4A-4B *shrugs*

Thicken my edges, lessen wear on my nape, keep it stretched

3. Tell us about your current regimen. What's working in your current regimen?
Too many products to name as I vary what I use every wash. My usual steps are chemical exfoliation on scalp, cleanse, protein treatment as needed, DC, apply spray, apply cream, apply butter/grease, apply gel, and style.
What's working for me: applying shampoo on dry hair, using a spray and creamy leave in, sealing with a butter/grease and gel

Less time is my main concern at this moment.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
What's working for me that I stumbled upon and wasn't expecting:
  1. Detangling:
    1. Focusing on UNFURLING and STRETCHING the hair section as much/long as it can be unfurled and stretched. And then, and ONLY then, trying to separate and de-knot strands. Most of the time a seeming knot is not a knot once I've fully unfurled and stretched the tiny hair section I'm detangling. Or if it is, it unknots easily because it is so unfurled/stretched.
    2. Detangling damp hair laden with a very slippery product. Not wet hair, and not dry hair, but damp hair.
    3. Detangling with The Wet Brush. Perhaps this is because my hair is very coily (4a), but finger detangling is a time sink like no other. I don't think I'll ever not own a Wet Brush.
    4. Detangling at the sink and rinsing with shower water to remove shed hairs by leaning into the shower without getting in it! I used to DREAD wash day. Now I don't as much because it does not require my always having to hang out for long periods of time in the shower.
    5. Detangling via The Funnel Method. I use the Kent 16t seamless comb (it's both fine-toothed and course-toothed), after using the WetBrush.
  2. Using poo on my scalp and letting only the run-off hit my strands: This keeps me from drying my hair out with shampooing.
  3. DCing on clean, DRIED hair instead of on wet hair, and then steaming it in under the steamer.
  4. Applying AMPLE gel so that my hair doesn't tangle much when in a ponytail. I am surprised that in this way, a puff functions somewhat as a protective style.
  5. LCO instead of LOC. This because my oil of choice (jojoba) is a sealing oil, and thus the moisture of the cream cannot get IN past the jojoba oil if I apply oil before cream. The GreenBeauty Channel creator discusses how, why, for whom the LCO might work and the LOC might work at this video here and this video here.

Last edited:

trueheartofgold

Hair Education:

Hi @YvetteWithJoy! Please let us know the outcome of your hair analysis. You know I need one lol...

Also, will you be incorporating clarifying into your regimen? I know you don't use silicones but just asking. I use products with them and all clarifying shampoos I've used have stripped my hair to the point where I hear squeaks when I'm rinsing them out. :hammer:

I'm trying to figure out if it's ok to skip clarifying altogether since I shampoo every time I wash (once a week). I use products with silicones on wash day only. I'm thinking that the shampoos, although sulfate free may be sufficient enough in removing buildup including silicones. Any thoughts on this?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hi @YvetteWithJoy! Please let us know the outcome of your hair analysis. You know I need one lol...

Also, will you be incorporating clarifying into your regimen? I know you don't use silicones but just asking. I use products with them and all clarifying shampoos I've used have stripped my hair to the point where I hear squeaks when I'm rinsing them out. :hammer:

I'm trying to figure out if it's ok to skip clarifying altogether since I shampoo every time I wash (once a week). I use products with silicones on wash day only. I'm thinking that the shampoos, although sulfate free may be sufficient enough in removing buildup including silicones. Any thoughts on this?

Hi, trueheartofgold.

I won't be getting an analysis anytime soon: Not in the budget. I just wanted to share those resources at this thread because from what I've read here at LHCF, sometimes you can spend a ton of time trying to get your regimen right and then a hair analysis will reveal that you need to go in a completely different direction or that your hair is completely different than you thought. Example: Low porosity folks thinking they were high porosity for years when they were actually lowpo and needed to be using less protein, etc.

Yes: I do clarify. I do the max hydration method, and a major part of that is clarifying every now and then. To clarify, I use SM's Clear Start shampoo (discontinued now) or various shampoos that contain ACV.

I used to clarify WAAAAAAY too often and even used to use sulfate shampoos too often. That was a no-no for my hipo hair: Straight kept it dried out. I've had to adjust: I've learned to keep my scalp super clean and leave my strands alone for longer periods of time than I ever did when wearing relaxed hair.

YvetteWithJoy

On break

Regarding the bolded, in my very newbie and unprofessional opinion, I think it depends on the type of silicones--whether they are water soluble or not.

However, there are much more knowledgeable ladies at this site, such as @Chicoro and @faithVA and others. They might have better answers for you. Also, there is a dedicated thread for asking for help with your hair. I have posted a question there and got great help!

Blessings, true! Will you be getting a hair analysis?

trueheartofgold

Regarding the bolded, in my very newbie and unprofessional opinion, I think it depends on the type of silicones--whether they are water soluble or not.

However, there are much more knowledgeable ladies at this site, such as @Chicoro and @faithVA and others. They might have better answers for you. Also, there is a dedicated thread for asking for help with your hair. I have posted a question there and got great help!

I won't be getting one anytime soon either for budget reasons as well. I'm almost sure I will be told to cut the remaining heat damaged hair off----and I completely agree. I'm going to big chop soon and I'll see what happens afterwards. If I see no improvement then I'll save up for the analysis. What's the name of the thread? I'll post the silicone question there. Thanks!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I won't be getting one anytime soon either for budget reasons as well. I'm almost sure I will be told to cut the remaining heat damaged hair off----and I completely agree. I'm going to big chop soon and I'll see what happens afterwards. If I see no improvement then I'll save up for the analysis. What's the name of the thread? I'll post the silicone question there. Thanks!

Gotcha. :smile:

The thread is called "Struggling with your natural hair? Come in here . . ." https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/struggling-with-your-natural-hair-come-in-here.612917/

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!

@YvetteWithJoy,
I appreciate the nod [of support] and thank you! And wanted to add, it's not about being new or old, a professional or a lay person. We're here to share, help one another and get support. To me, you demonstrate all of this beautifully! The value is in the collective which our individual contributions create! Keep doing what you are doing.

Evolving78

Moisturizing shampoos only remove so much, due to the conditioning agents used in them. They leave something behind to help aid in slip, softness, smoothness, etc. a 1st lather shampoo will remove all of the pollutants from the hair, so the hair and scalp can have a clean slate. Keracare has a 1st lather shampoo that's not too harsh. You can follow with a Moisturizing shampoo. Leaving product and not fully removing pollutants from the hair will eventually cause dryness. The hair and scalp isn't able to receive the hydration you are trying to give it.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Moisturizing shampoos only remove so much, due to the conditioning agents used in them. They leave something behind to help aid in slip, softness, smoothness, etc. a 1st lather shampoo will remove all of the pollutants from the hair, so the hair and scalp can have a clean slate. Keracare has a 1st lather shampoo that's not too harsh. You can follow with a Moisturizing shampoo. Leaving product and not fully removing pollutants from the hair will eventually cause dryness. The hair and scalp isn't able to receive the hydration you are trying to give it.

Educational, @shortdub78! Thanks for this. :smile:

*off to google "1st lather shampoo"

trueheartofgold

Thanks for responding @shortdub78! I forgot to mention in my original post that Curlmart has the Alikay Black Soap Shampoo listed as a clarifying shampoo. I've read reviews and saw videos where people also claim it is clarifying. The shampoo has oils and is sulfate free. Would that mean it's not clarifying and not able to remove silicones as well as buildup? See link as well as ingredients below:

https://shop.naturallycurly.com/alikay-naturals-moisturizing-black-soap-shampoo-8-oz/

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice(Aloe Vera Juice,Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Kernel Oil, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Potash(Ashes of plantain skins, cocoa pods, shea tree bark), Melaleuca alternifolia (Tea Tree) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Fragrance (Parfum), Botanical Blend Ingredients

Evolving78

Thanks for responding @shortdub78! I forgot to mention in my original post that Curlmart has the Alikay Black Soap Shampoo listed as a clarifying shampoo. I've read reviews and saw videos where people also claim it is clarifying. The shampoo has oils and is sulfate free. Would that mean it's not clarifying and not able to remove silicones as well as buildup? See link as well as ingredients below:

https://shop.naturallycurly.com/alikay-naturals-moisturizing-black-soap-shampoo-8-oz/

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice(Aloe Vera Juice,Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Kernel Oil, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Potash(Ashes of plantain skins, cocoa pods, shea tree bark), Melaleuca alternifolia (Tea Tree) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Fragrance (Parfum), Botanical Blend Ingredients
That is not a clarifying shampoo.

trueheartofgold

That is not a clarifying shampoo.

Thanks! The directions for the KeraCare 1st Lather state to follow up with a moisturizing shampoo. Do you do something when you use the product? I already have dry hair so I'm scared that my hair will dry out even more from too much shampoo in one day. If you shampoo twice, do you use the hydrating detangling shampoo also from KeraCare? Can I use both of these if I'm natural (correct me if I'm wrong but I thought KeraCare was for relaxed hair). Thanks so much!

Evolving78

Thanks! The directions for the KeraCare 1st Lather state to follow up with a moisturizing shampoo. Do you do something when you use the product? I already have dry hair so I'm scared that my hair will dry out even more from too much shampoo in one day. If you shampoo twice, do you use the hydrating detangling shampoo also from KeraCare? Can I use both of these if I'm natural (correct me if I'm wrong but I thought KeraCare was for relaxed hair). Thanks so much!
You should shampoo your scalp and hair twice. First lather is to remove product buildup, second is to clean. Shampoo with the 1st lather, then follow with a Moisturizing shampoo that you already. Then you must Deep Condition! Focus on the scalp, more so lathering up the hair. You hair should be able to receive your deep conditioner better.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy how long do you steam for? Do you steam weekly? And do you apply your leave in conditioner in the same manner (to dry hair vs. soaking wet or damp)?

I apply my DC to dry hair. Then I sit under the steamer for 30 minutes. I DC after every non-cowash wash . . . anywhere from every 5-10 days as needed.

If I apply a rinse-out conditioner on TOP of my DC, the moisture infusion is greater. Someone here shared an article with me that discussed this strategy.

I apply my leave-in to soaking wet hair and apply the sealant jojoba oil or jojoba-oil-containing product on top. It is one of the most sealing of oils there is.

There is a moisturizing spritz recipe someone shared with me that should be super effective. I discuss it at the High Porosity Hangout thread. Once I'm home in a few hours, I'll try to remember to link some GreenBeauty YouTube videos on moisture and hydration that might help.

Sometimes it takes months and months and months of trial and error to solve the hydration issue. Don't feel strange or alone for having this challenge. You're in good company. Many of us have gone through this the same way! :smile:

faithVA

I'm natural and hair is getting healthier every quarter.
My strands are normal per an analysis. The front of my hair is high density. The crown is thinning and low density. The rest of my hair is medium density.
I am 4b and my hair is NL to SL.
I use a semi-permanent color every 2 to 4 weeks.

It needs more moisture and my thinning crown needs something but not sure what.

3. Tell us about your current regimen.(Products, steps/actions/activities, etc.)What's working in your current regimen?
I don't have a weekly regimen. I rotate between a few practices
1. Shampoo, DC, leave-in, style
2. Shampoo, color+ rinse conditioner, leave-in, style
3. Mudwash, rinse conditioner, leave-in, style
4. Sometimes I may just water rinse. It can vary

My regimen would be different it I didn't have to color my hair so often.

I will use protein after I straighten, every 6 to 8 weeks or sometimes after I dust my ends
I am primarily using the TGIN line but I am also using up products and focused right now on the TVO line I bought last year.

My wash regimen is good and is working fine. My mid-week moisture regimen is non-existent. Moisturizing my flat twist works out OK but trying to moisturize my two strand twists has always been a fail. They just end up frizzy, dry and wiry.

I rotate between flat twist, two strand twist, roller-sets and flat twist outs.

I dust my ends every 8 to 12 weeks

What I would like the most is to figure out a way to moisturize my two strand twists and wear my twist from 2 to 4 weeks. I would love to be able to wash in them.

caliscurls

@faithVA have you tried sticking with one of your wash routines for a few weeks to see if you hair fairs better with one over the others? Or adding protein (or perhaps trying a different protein)? My hair used to dry brittle when in twists before I got my protein balance straight and when I was rotating different products habitually.

Originally I thought my hair was protein sensitive up until Q3 last year. I think I was doing protein once a month or using a "balanced" conditioner.

Nothing changed with how my hair reacted/dried until I started using the Komaza protein weekly for a month and then every over week. That was about the same time last year I started the loose twist journey.

Incorporating protein regularly followed by a really good DC changed the game for me. My hair retains moisture 1000 times better now. With the exception of during winter I don't really have to add much or anything to it right after rinsing the DC out. With a "naked" dry it dries quicker and is still soft. That's how I know its protein/moisture level is balanced.

Going back to the routine thing...Recently when I tried doing the reverse wash process it seemed great at first but after a few weeks my hair freaked out. It felt almost tacky and parched o_O So I had to go back to my normal routine plus do a super moisture session to get it back to normal.

All in all - consider sticking to a specific wash routine to see which one your hair likes the very best and add a protein DC.

caliscurls

@faithVA one more thing :) if you want to dry "naked" just add your moisturizer when it's completely dry or a couple days later. You'll be able to tell when the wash moisture is on its last leg...

faithVA

@faithVA have you tried sticking with one of your wash routines for a few weeks to see if you hair fairs better with one over the others? Or adding protein (or perhaps trying a different protein)? My hair used to dry brittle when in twists before I got my protein balance straight and when I was rotating different products habitually.

Originally I thought my hair was protein sensitive up until Q3 last year. I think I was doing protein once a month or using a "balanced" conditioner.

Nothing changed with how my hair reacted/dried until I started using the Komaza protein weekly for a month and then every over week. That was about the same time last year I started the loose twist journey.

Incorporating protein regularly followed by a really good DC changed the game for me. My hair retains moisture 1000 times better now. With the exception of during winter I don't really have to add much or anything to it right after rinsing the DC out. With a "naked" dry it dries quicker and is still soft. That's how I know its protein/moisture level is balanced.

Going back to the routine thing...Recently when I tried doing the reverse wash process it seemed great at first but after a few weeks my hair freaked out. It felt almost tacky and parched o_O So I had to go back to my normal routine plus do a super moisture session to get it back to normal.

All in all - consider sticking to a specific wash routine to see which one your hair likes the very best and add a protein DC.
I appreciate your help but maybe my post was for confusing. My hair is fine after I wash. I'm just trying to figure out how to moisturize my 2 strand twists mid week.

Because of coloring my grays there's probably not much I can change with my wash regimen. I don't like shampoo weekly so I vary the up with the mudwash. And to get my color to hold I need a totally different regimen. It's a long story. And I do protein on a schedule but I'm low porosity so too often isn't good.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Today I'm going to try two regimen tweaks: I will tweak the products I use and I will tweak my styling.

Products I'll try:
  1. Prepoo: Soultanicals Power to the Prepoo
  2. Detangle: Soultanicals Hair Glide
  3. Cleanse: 22nd Century Natural Woman shampoo bar
  4. DC: None . . . had one recently and I'm not using a poo that strips . . . AND I will have prepoo'd
  5. LLG . . . Ends . . . Edges & Scalp:
    • Liquid: This mixture described here, a version of which Chime (YouTuber with very healthy long hair) recommends.
    • Leave-in: Soultanicals Cotton Candy Hair-fluff Leave-in Softerizer (bought this for the boys but trying it on my hair, too)
    • Gel: Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curly Magic (I gave my HGs -- Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker and DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel -- away to my niecy while visiting them on our vacation)
    • Ends: Mixture of NetWurks Custard and jojoba oil
    • Edges and scalp (scalp via color application bottle): NetWurks spray
Styling I'll try:
Heavily-gelled wash-and-go via SHINGLING. (I do know: Wngo's aren't great for hipo, fine, dense hair. I have a rationale/reason, though, for giving it at least one try).

I never tried shingling when I did my wash-and-go's. My reason/excuse was that I have a lot of strands and "Aintnobodygottimefordat." HOWEVER, I have been spending TONS of time styling ANYWAY, in the attempts of keeping my hair stretched and untangled. Might as well give shingling a wash-and-go a go: What if shingling keeps my tiny sections separate, thus keeping my ends from tangling, and thus allowing my hair to thrive with wash-and-go's like some ladies' manes do? And what if were able to shingle my hair faster then threading it, twisting it, etc.? THAT would be an improvement in quality of life, as silly as that may seem: The more freed up time I have, and the less manipulation of my hair that I do, the better! :smile: I'm excited about this experiment. Whether I get more hydration/moisture from the change in products, less time-consuming styling, or both, I would be EXTREMELY grateful/happy.

Evolving78

^^^im working on time too! I tried cowashing again today and it worked. I will be incorporating it into my Reggie. So I will still wash 2x a week. I will shampoo and dc one wash day, then the next, I will just cowash. I won't be using heat on cowash day either. I will airdry and blow dry on cool for a few minutes to seal in the moisture.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
^^^im working on time too! I tried cowashing again today and it worked. I will be incorporating it into my Reggie. So I will still wash 2x a week. I will shampoo and dc one wash day, then the next, I will just cowash. I won't be using heat on cowash day either. I will airdry and blow dry on cool for a few minutes to seal in the moisture.

Nice discovery, @shortdub78! Sounds like a good plan! :up: