2017 Share, Discuss, Design, And/or Improve Your Hair Care Regimen

Curls&Justice417

And in case anyone is wondering this is the Plugged In brush. It's the brand, not an electrical device Lol! I looove this brush. It's soft and flexible like a wet brush.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
My hair! I love it.

I'm on day 3 of NOT HAVING TO TOUCH my super hydrated, defined hair. It's in a highly gelled puff. The latest wash day regimen and products work, work, WORK! Yay!

Next phase in my regimen development: Designing a 7-day sequence of styles, kind of like kimmaytube of Luv Naturals.

I'm thinking about something like the following:

Su: MHM for a wash and dry (elongated via flexirods)
M: Refresh the wash and dry
Tu: Set or twist out
W: Wear same set or twist out again
Th: Wear it again if it's in good shape, else convert to a puff or top bun (use donut)
F: Wear same puff or bun
Sa: Wear same puff or bun

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Due to the April Styles 2017 Challenge and other threads, I've made a few great changes in my regimen.

The main change: use of the Kimmaytube-recommend hair clips. I'm using 8 of the Ouchless small updo hair clips (that Kimmatube uses an sells on her site), to section and wash and DC and style and weigh down and stretch my hair during drying. These little clips have made hair care SIGNIFICANTLY EASIER every step of the way.

Inspired by this thread, for May, I plan to purchase:
  1. fenugreek seed powder,
  2. rosemary oil,
  3. peppermint oil, and
  4. Camille Rose Naturals Cocoa Nibs and Honey Ultimate Growth Serum.
Then I will mix some of the former three and henna with the CRN Growth Serum.

Here are the ingredients to the CRN Growth Serum:
Virgin amla oil, virgin sesame seed oil, virgin coconut oil, golden jojoba oils, virgin olive oil, pressed macadamia oils, shebu ws, aromatic organic cocoa beans, organic honey, biotin, msm, remblica officinalis, bringaraj herbs, brahmi, btms, tea tree oil, naturally scented, and LOVE!

I am still working on developing a week-long schedule of daily styling for growth. :smile:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I just learned of Natty Naturals. Based on ingredients (rhassoul clay, BTMS, ayurvedic ingredients) and reviews, I hope to try the line as a whole someday.

It'll be awhile before I have used up enough products to make room to trial the line, though. Perhaps once I've used up 3 DCs I can permit myself to trial the DC.

In the meanwhile, I want to test detangling -- prewash -- with the Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion just to see how wash day fares if I do so.

Lastly, I was able to produce a really nice twist out. I documented my method in great detail at the April Styles Challenge 2017 thread.

WP_20170422_055.jpg
(click will enlarge)

YvetteWithJoy

On break
April went well regimen-wise. My styling options expanded, and selected products proved good. For May, my main goals are the following:
  1. Use the CurlyProverbz DIY hair growth oil consistently on the scalp, length, and ends
  2. Incorporate an AVJ-water spritz as my "L" in the LOC, LCO, LOB, LOG, or whatever I'm doing at the time
  3. Determine whether I can let go of ordering the Komaza Protein Hair Strengthener because the Colorful Netural Protein Filler suffices
For May 2017, I plan to try the following products for deep treatments:
  1. Protein treatment: Around the 24th of the month, test
    Colorful Neutral Protein Filler to compare to Komaza's Protein Hair Strengthener
  2. Deep condition on full wash days:
    Mielle Babassu DC,
    Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Deep Penetrating Hair Treatment, or
    Annabelle PerfectBlend's Ultra Conditioning Souffle
For the Max Hydration Method in May 2017, I plan to use the following products and the following the steps:
  1. Prepoo and detangle:
    Shea Moisture High Porosity Moisture-seal Masque or
    Soultanicals Slip-N-Slide Hair Glide
  2. Clarify and detox scalp with ACV-laden product:
    Cantu Apple Cider Vinegar Root Rinse
    (based on the ingredients and the this The Mane Choice review . . . plus the price is great!)
  3. Moisturize and condition with clay:
    Sheaterra Mud-Poo in the Rosemary and Carrot Seed
  4. Care for edges and ends and scalp:
    CurlyProverbz's DIY hair growth oil mix (see YouTube)
  5. L-O-G (liquid, oil, gel) or L-O-C/B (liquid, oil, cream/butter)
    Liquid: Naptural85's aloe vera juice and water spritz
    Oil: CurlyProverbz's DIY hair growth oil mix
    Gel: Curl Prep Around the Way Gel or Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker
    Cream/butter: Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water "Style Setter"
For styling I plan to rotate among the following:
  • Braid-out or twist-out (from installing 2-3 braids/twists in each of 8 sections of hair)
  • Banded "wash-and-go" (dry the wash-and-go under the HairFlair, then band the hair overnight in 4 or 6 sections with elastic ribbon strips, initially untied)
  • Flexirod set (8 red flexirods installed)
  • Ponytail puff with side bang
  • High puff with side bang

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Based on an idea planted into my thoughts by an awesome LHCF member who is successful with major hair growth, I plan to try the following DIFFERENT-FOR-ME order or regimen steps:
  1. Cleanse and lightly unfurl, elongate, and de-web strands
  2. Apply scalp cleanser and massage the scalp with it
  3. Deep condition (using steamer if prudent)
  4. Rinse and spray with AVJ or AVJ-containing hydrator
  5. Detangle with leave-in (detangling is usually my step #1)
  6. Do ends, scalp, and edge care
  7. Add styler and style

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Based on an idea planted into my thoughts by an awesome LHCF member who is successful with major hair growth, I plan to try the following DIFFERENT-FOR-ME order or regimen steps:
  1. Cleanse and lightly unfurl, elongate, and de-web strands
  2. Apply scalp cleanser and massage the scalp with it
  3. Deep condition (using steamer if prudent)
  4. Rinse and spray with AVJ or AVJ-containing hydrator
  5. Detangle with leave-in (detangling is usually my step #1)
  6. Do ends, scalp, and edge care
  7. Add styler and style

I added steaming before doing anything else. Hair felt great! I also reversed the order of steps 1 and 2. NOTE: I used J.R. Liggett's moisturizing shampoo bar and was able to detangle with it.

Anyhow, after the initial step of steaming, the next steps fared well. A change I'd make: Because the DC I used was Mielle Organics' Babassu Oil & Mint DC, I really feel I should have done full detangling at THAT step. The MO deep conditioner has MAJOR slip. Perfect for detangling.

snoop

I've been washing my hair every two weeks instead of every week. Not sure how I feel about it, yet. My twists get to start in longer but I miss putting water on my scalp more frequently.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I have switched detangling brushes: Many of my Wet Brush bristles have sunken into the brush pad (and they like to stay there). Someone in the Random Hair Thinking/Thoughts thread had great things to say about the KareCo Tangle Buster brush: https://www.kareco.com/collections/brushes/products/tangle-buster-brush

It works. I like it! The bristles can't sink, so that's a good thing. I used the "flicking motion" with it when encountering tangles. Someone mentioned that their DevaChan stylist said the flicking motion is supposed to be less damaging than just tugging/dragging the brush down through tangles at the hair's ends.

I keep TRYING to finger detangle only and keep re-learning the lesson: That just doesn't work for me. Not enough shed hairs removed. And tangling progressively worsens as time marches on, this because while my fingers get out a lot of my tangles, they don't get out all tangles (especially the tangles hire upon on my hair's length). I have to stop forgetting this: Even though there is a conflict between using and not using a detangling tool (i.e., brush), both options have their pluses and minuses, and I really, really, really need to use a brush and just take the plus and minus that comes with doing so!!!

The next time I find myself telling myself, "You could probably finger detangle only, like Kimmaytube says is best," I need to have all sorts of thoughts and give my OWN self the side eye and more!

o_O

:nono:

:nuts:

:perplexed:

:pinocchio:

:lala:

:nono2:

:badidea:

:spank:

:bat:

snoop

I keep TRYING to finger detangle only and keep re-learning the lesson: That just doesn't work for me. Not enough shed hairs removed. And tangling progressively worsens as time marches on, this because while my fingers get out a lot of my tangles, they don't get out all tangles (especially the tangles hire upon on my hair's length). I have to stop forgetting this: Even though there is a conflict between using and not using a detangling tool (i.e., brush), both options have their pluses and minuses, and I really, really, really need to use a brush and just take the plus and minus that comes with doing so!!!

The next time I find myself telling myself, "You could probably finger detangle only, like Kimmaytube says is best," I need to have all sorts of thoughts and give my OWN self the side eye and more!

Do you tend to wear smooth styles?

Just curious because I finger detangle and finger comb, but I know my styles don't comb out as "smooth" as they would if I used a real comb. (I also have never try slicking down my edges.)

There was one YouTuber who said tasty she doesn't try to get her hair 100% detangled because that effort would be too much manipulation on her hair. I believe she primarily finger detangles, too.

I'm probably in the minority though and only use a comb to get any missed shed hairs out quarterly. As long as my ends and hair stay bound/twisted then my hair doesn't tangle too much. I think it gets knots because I wash in twists (without refreshing the style.) But I've retained that way.

Do you find brushes gentler than combs for detangling?

YvetteWithJoy

On break

Just curious because I finger detangle and finger comb, but I know my styles don't comb out as "smooth" as they would if I used a real comb. (I also have never try slicking down my edges.)

There was one YouTuber who said tasty she doesn't try to get her hair 100% detangled because that effort would be too much manipulation on her hair. I believe she primarily finger detangles, too.

I'm probably in the minority though and only use a comb to get any missed shed hairs out quarterly. As long as my ends and hair stay bound/twisted then my hair doesn't tangle too much. I think it gets knots because I wash in twists (without refreshing the style.) But I've retained that way.

I mainly wear wash-and-ponytail's, wash-and-go's, and twist outs. I don't tend to smooth my hair at all.

I, too, have psychologically committed to NOT aiming for 100% detangled hair. A YouTuber with long hair said she eased up on that, and she has great length anyhow/anyway.

Yes, I hadn't really thought about it, but yes, I do find brushes MUCH gentler than combs on my hair. I think it's because of the GIVE of the bristles. Many of my Wet Brush bristles have gotten stuck down in the brush padding. Consequently I switched to the KareCo Tangle Buster, and I looooooooe it.

Here are most of the relevant tools I have (combs, brushes, scissors, part-makers, etc.). Out of the detangling tools, I like the KareCo Tangle Buster, the Wet Brush, the Kent 16t, and the Ouidad Detangling comb the best -- roughly in that order of preference. All 4 have been GREAT.

WP_20170602_058 1.jpg

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break

I like how your hair doesn't get too tangled. :smile:
I'm about to try use of a pomade on my ends to see if that helps with tangle-prevention.

snoop

Here are most of the relevant tools I have (combs, brushes, scissors, part-makers, etc.). Out of the detangling tools, I like the KareCo Tangle Buster, the Wet Brush, the Kent 16t, and the Ouidad Detangling comb the best -- roughly in that order of preference. All 4 have been GREAT.
View attachment 400753

I've been curious about the Ouidad Detangling comb. Please don't try to convince me to buy one. :lachen:

But the scalp massager...tell me more:look:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I've been curious about the Ouidad Detangling comb. Please don't try to convince me to buy one. :lachen:

But the scalp massager...tell me more:look:

I don't have the vibrating scalp brush, just the plain old shampoo/scalp brush from Sally's. I hear the electronic one is amazing.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I cannot do a wash and go or leave my hair out for more than a day. Tangle city!

If I super-gel my hair and stretch my hair as it dries, I still do get some tangles, but not TONS of tangles. I like the lower manipulation entailed in wash-and-go's. I also need the option of washing-and-going, schedule-wise. Twist outs and flexirod sets and the like DEFINITELY yield fewer tangles, though. :yep:

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
1. Tell us about your hair!
Natural, 3C with a 4A crown, dyed red, medium-low density :cry3:and fine.

2. What do you feel your hair's needs are?
My hair is actually pretty easy to care for and it's healthy. The only thing it needs is to grow another 6-7 inches and thicken up :look:

3. Tell us about your current regimen. (Products, steps/actions/activities, etc.)What's working in your current regimen?

I'm trialing a new regimen and I don't know what to call it. Maybe 1,4,7,1(0)? Day 1 is a full wash day. I wash with Redken Cleansing Cream (aka bae), do a protein treatment (mix of colorful neutral protein filler, bamboo extract, Aphogee 2 minute and very warm water, the first "day 1" of each month I add Ion's olaplex dupe), dc with whatever I have open, Garnier Fructis sleek n shine cream for leave-in, seal with almond or grape seed oil, Carol's Daughter liquid pomade, APB honey body glaze and APB hair and body butta then style according to work/social plans.

Days 4&7 I cowash with As I Am coconut cowash then repeat the above steps/products from leave-in to styling.

Day 10 becomes the new day 1 and I repeat all the day 1 steps. I haven't finished my first cycle yet but I noticed yesterday (day 7) that I only shed about 20 strands from cowash to final styling. I didn't shed a lot before the changes but this was an all time low.

4. What are your regimen-improvement goals, if any?
My goals are thickness and added length. I want to gain 5-7 inches before December 31, 2017.

5. Anything else you would like to share?
I didn't mention above but I finger detangle almost exclusively but I plan to use a 3 row comb on the first day 1 of each month...if I can find it. :( And I only detangle once during wash day and that's when I'm rinsing out my dc and only under running water in the shower. Sometimes I add a cheapie rinse out to speed up the process (Suave naturals coconut or Herbal Essence honey I'm strong, the HE is the new staple but I have about 7 bottles of SN to get through) I also plan to return to warming up my dc before application. I take Aphogee vitamins, I need to be more consistent with the others and increase my water intake. I also plan on incorporating a growth oil and scalp massages.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Regimen Products Update:

(Photo enlarges upon click.)

Wash Day Steps, Order Updated To Move Detangling from Pre-Wash to During the Wash:
  1. Steam for 30 minutes on full wash days
  2. Section hair using 10 Goody Ouchless Updo Barrettes (Kimmay-tube / Luv Naturals -recommended)
  3. Cleanse scalp: Cantu ACV Rinse
  4. Detangle with strands cleanser while Cantu ACV Rinse is doing its thing: J.R. Liggets Moisturizing Shampoo Bar (HairPrint Chelating Shampoo once a month)
  5. Apply balancing deep conditioner with heat: Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Deep Penetrating Hair Treatment
    OR
    Apply protein treatment (Colorful Neutral Protein Filler) followed by protein-free moisture-infusing deep treatment (DIY fenugreek deep conditioner)
  6. Apply protein-infusing hydrator: Colorful Neutral Protein Filler mixed with AVJ or an AVJ-containing spray
  7. Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today
  8. Gel: Kinky Curly Curling Custard or Soultanicals Sprung Coil Boosting Gelly (I may try to cocktail this and see what happens!)
Still determining a week-long schedule of hairstyles. There are several options.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
1. Tell us about your hair!
Natural, 3C with a 4A crown, dyed red, medium-low density :cry3:and fine.

2. What do you feel your hair's needs are?
My hair is actually pretty easy to care for and it's healthy. The only thing it needs is to grow another 6-7 inches and thicken up :look:

3. Tell us about your current regimen. (Products, steps/actions/activities, etc.)What's working in your current regimen?

I'm trialing a new regimen and I don't know what to call it. Maybe 1,4,7,1(0)? Day 1 is a full wash day. I wash with Redken Cleansing Cream (aka bae), do a protein treatment (mix of colorful neutral protein filler, bamboo extract, Aphogee 2 minute and very warm water, the first "day 1" of each month I add Ion's olaplex dupe), dc with whatever I have open, Garnier Fructis sleek n shine cream for leave-in, seal with almond or grape seed oil, Carol's Daughter liquid pomade, APB honey body glaze and APB hair and body butta then style according to work/social plans.

Days 4&7 I cowash with As I Am coconut cowash then repeat the above steps/products from leave-in to styling.

Day 10 becomes the new day 1 and I repeat all the day 1 steps. I haven't finished my first cycle yet but I noticed yesterday (day 7) that I only shed about 20 strands from cowash to final styling. I didn't shed a lot before the changes but this was an all time low.

4. What are your regimen-improvement goals, if any?
My goals are thickness and added length. I want to gain 5-7 inches before December 31, 2017.

5. Anything else you would like to share?
I didn't mention above but I finger detangle almost exclusively but I plan to use a 3 row comb on the first day 1 of each month...if I can find it. :( And I only detangle once during wash day and that's when I'm rinsing out my dc and only under running water in the shower. Sometimes I add a cheapie rinse out to speed up the process (Suave naturals coconut or Herbal Essence honey I'm strong, the HE is the new staple but I have about 7 bottles of SN to get through) I also plan to return to warming up my dc before application. I take Aphogee vitamins, I need to be more consistent with the others and increase my water intake. I also plan on incorporating a growth oil and scalp massages.

Your hair looks so dense in your avi photo, though!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I've mapped out my wash days:
I've decided to wash every Saturday. This way, my style will be nice and fresh for Sunday worship services, and busy Monday mornings will only entail refreshing a newer-than-not style. :yep:

I will alternate weekly wash days between using a balancing deep conditioner and doing a protein treatment. I will chelate once a month, which I hope suffices, especially once I get the shower filter to address my hard water. If it fares well, I'll do this for July and August at least (after that I may switch up products).

Regimen-improvement -wise:
I still need to figure out and stick to a trim schedule, and I am still working on a weekly schedule of hairstyles (not that the latter is something I'd feel compelled to follow, but just for the purpose of trying to style in ways/orders that preserve my hair or effort. :smile:)

Trimming obstacles:
The problem I'm having with sticking to a trimming schedule: I don't trim my own hair (haven't learned/practiced yet). The last salon I went to to get a trim gave my hair a VERY ROUGH feeling that took weeks to get rid of. And . . . I did find a lady to trim my hair (she gets rave, rave, RAVE reviews for having growing hands for natural hair), but I'm waitlisted indefinitely. My last trim was November 2016, about 7 months ago. (I can't believe the time has flown by that fast). I need to figure out how to get a trim SOON.

Last edited:

Satya_R

@YvetteWithJoy
Hi! Which would you say you prefer more for moisturizing, Annabelle's PB DC Souffle or CRN Coconut Water Deep Penetrating Treatment? I'm trying to find a good DC that moisturizes and seals the curl with minimal frizz. Shea Moisture's JBCO masque works well for my hair for delivering softness but it leaves it soo frizzy and dull looking and few days later my hair is back to being dry. I HATED the Mielle Organics DC - I wanted to love it because it had such rave reviews and smells bomb - but it made my hair super hard and dry. I tried the SM High Porosity Masque and it was drying as well. I'm going to try to do a Bentonite Clay Treatment and see if that helps - maybe I have some severe buildup? Lol this is a long post but I'm so bummed, I cannot find anything that works as well as the Aubrey Organics HSR old formula used to. It was ridiculously moisturizing, added elasticity, shine, and reduced my frizz to basically nothing.

Satya_R

My Reggie is fairly basic, I'm dealing with a dryness issue right now - so it's mostly focused on remedying that problem.

• DC once a week (overnight or with heat) This week I'm trying CRN Coconut Water Penetrating Deep Treatment after I do a Bentonite Clay mask.
  • Seal With Castor Oil (JBCO or regular) if using TGIN OR QB Amla and Olive Heavy Cream immediately afterwards
  • Apply Leave in Conditioner. I'm trying to alternate between TGIN Green Tea Leave In Conditioner & Mielle Organics Leave In.
  • Style with Braidout/Flat-Twist Out, High Puff, Or Bun.
  • I shampoo once every 2 weeks with SM JBCO shampoo. I'm also on the hunt for something more gentle & moisturizing that will allow me to comfortably wash every week.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy
Hi! Which would you say you prefer more for moisturizing, Annabelle's PB DC Souffle or CRN Coconut Water Deep Penetrating Treatment? I'm trying to find a good DC that moisturizes and seals the curl with minimal frizz. Shea Moisture's JBCO masque works well for my hair for delivering softness but it leaves it soo frizzy and dull looking and few days later my hair is back to being dry. I HATED the Mielle Organics DC - I wanted to love it because it had such rave reviews and smells bomb - but it made my hair super hard and dry. I tried the SM High Porosity Masque and it was drying as well. I'm going to try to do a Bentonite Clay Treatment and see if that helps - maybe I have some severe buildup? Lol this is a long post but I'm so bummed, I cannot find anything that works as well as the Aubrey Organics HSR old formula used to. It was ridiculously moisturizing, added elasticity, shine, and reduced my frizz to basically nothing.

I definitely prefer the CRN Coconut Water Penetrating Hair Treatment for moisture. But may hair seems to be different from most folks'. :smile: Man, I wish I could have tried that Aubrey Organics. It sounds divine.