2017 Share, Discuss, Design, And/or Improve Your Hair Care Regimen

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Deets, madame. We need deets. :kiss:
Copied from above cuz I'm lazy:

3. Tell us about your current regimen. (Products, steps/actions/activities, etc.)What's working in your current regimen?
I'm trialing a new regimen and I don't know what to call it. Maybe 1,4,7,1(0)? Day 1 is a full wash day. I wash with Redken Cleansing Cream (aka bae), do a protein treatment (mix of colorful neutral protein filler, bamboo extract, Aphogee 2 minute and very warm water, the first "day 1" of each month I add Ion's olaplex dupe), dc with whatever I have open, Garnier Fructis sleek n shine cream for leave-in, seal with almond or grape seed oil, Carol's Daughter liquid pomade, APB honey body glaze and APB hair and body butta then style according to work/social plans.

Days 4&7 I cowash with As I Am coconut cowash then repeat the above steps/products from leave-in to styling.

Day 10 becomes the new day 1 and I repeat all the day 1 steps.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I copied this from my hair journal. I really enjoyed today's wash day and am thinking deeply about using twist outs to prevent tangling.

I am pretty sure I will be moving to using just one hair product brand -- Soultanicals, with the exception of the Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (for my protein treatment) and the Cantu ACV Rinse (for my scalp cleanser).

upload_2017-7-4_19-17-9.png

maxineshaw

The level of detail you put into your hair journal is amazing.

I copied this from my hair journal. I really enjoyed today's wash day and am thinking deeply about using twist outs to prevent tangling.

I am pretty sure I will be moving to using just one hair product brand -- Soultanicals, with the exception of the Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (for my protein treatment) and the Cantu ACV Rinse (for my scalp cleanser).

View attachment 404279

YvetteWithJoy

On break
The level of detail you put into your hair journal is amazing.

LOL!

My memory needs improvement, so I have to write things down in detail or I will not remember what I did that made the difference.

EXAMPLE: I won't REMEMBER to use the perm rods on the ends of my twists if I don't write it down. :lol: Instead, I will just stare at my ends and think, "I don't like twists or twist outs." :lol: SMH!!!

Another reason for the detail is that I'm like a fish OUT OF WATER with hair. *sniffle*
Hair is not "my thing," so it won't occur to me to just put perm rods on the end, like it would a "normal" person. I believe if hair came more naturally to me, I would not even keep a hair journal! LOL!

I NEVER list ingredients in my journal, but I did this time so I can remember WHY I am using the Soultanicals shampoo bar and not another bar I really love. Also, Soultanicals will change the ingredients/formulations of products!!! Since I'm moving to using them almost solely, I want to note WHICH formulation gave me what results.

I am a super detail-oriented person by nature and via my education. I've studied computer programming, mathematics, psychology, linguistics, and education extensively . . . and my brain is just wired to deal in detail . . . especially from the computer programming. :smile:

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
UPDATE

Recent product trialing has been very fruitful, yet fatiguing.

I realize I have SIX (6) sets of product, and it's due to the VERSATILITY of my Type 4 hair. I have products for:
  1. doing a super duper fast wash-and-go (cowash, ponytail, go),
  2. washing and then deep conditioning on the go when time is short,
  3. doing a more involved wash-and-go,
  4. doing a twist-out or braid-out,
  5. doing a roller set, and
  6. maintaining my hair's health, maintaining my hair's moisture-protein balance, sealing, promoting growth, etc.
I have done as much streamlining as I feel I can, and as of now I'm at 19 products (including oil, aloe Vera juice, etc.) across these SIX categories.

Outcome/decision: Purchase only staples . . . or twist-out creams or foams to trial. No need to purchase new gels, DCs, etc.

upload_2017-7-21_14-21-37.png

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm going to try an adaption of Sharpened's regimen (from summer 2017) for the next couple of wash days.

Here's my plan, and I'm okay if it doesn't work for my hair. It's just something that sounds great to TRY. :yep: I did not like the feel of last wash day, and that's pushing me the opposite way back to more natural products for a spell.

I'm going to give it several trials.
  1. Apply Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Penetrating Hair Treatment to section hair into 6 or 8 sections using Ouchless Goody barrettes.
  2. Deep condition with the CRN CW PHT overnight.
  3. The next day apply Colorful Neutral Protein Filler to ends and prepoo for 30 minutes with fresh aloe (get fresh aloe from ??? Whole Foods? Sprouts? A local Mexican or Indian grocery store?).
  4. Elongate strands under shower water, lightly finger detangling and removing shed hair.
  5. Using CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Growth Oil, oil rinse and lightly finger detangle (use nozzle bottle to focus oil onto ends at first; detangle; don processing cap while completing showering).
  6. After completing showerly duties, cleanse scalp and strands with Soultanicals Soulvedic Strands Poo Bar.
  7. At the sink, hydrate with catnip tea spritz (purchase organic catnip tea from the Vitamin Shoppe).
  8. Seal with CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Growth Oil.
  9. Apply gel of choice (Alikay Naturals? Curl Prep Curl Crush?).
  10. Style in chunky twists for an elongated wash and go.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Updates/Notes:

Lately I've been pre-pooing for 15-60 minutes with a coconut oil -containing DCs (I just select one from the stash :smile:). Detangling with the prepoo (after it's sat in the hair) has been a BREEZE and yields loss of very, very, very little hair.

Once after prepooing with a DC I shampooed the prepoo out (instead of rinsing out all of the prepoo/DC and then shampooing naked hair).

Wow!!! I don't know if it was due to the prepoo used (NaturelleGrow Mango and Coconut Water DC) or what, but my hair felt incredibly hydrated and moisturized post poo (poo was HairPrint's chelating poo).

I then DC'd with Soultanicals Afrotastic Curl Elastic and :drool:. My hair was juicy and just . . . yum!​

Another new-to-me thing tried: I used a free sample of Eco Styler (the flaxseed and jbco one) over Soultanicals Fluffalicious Curl Nutricious for my wng. I had never used Eco Styler before (don't particularly like the ingredients because of the not-quite-knowable effects on the health/body). My wash and go was GORGEOUS though. It lasted and lasted. Curl definition, softness, elongation, separation, etc. was amazing. Aaaaaand . . . my hair never really TANGLED for days and days and days and days . . .

I finally just washed it out (so I could trial Nap85's DIY flaxseed hair gel). I felt like the Eco Styler gel protected/shellacked my ends in a way that could be a retention game-changer for me. I'm so torn, though, over the ingredients. :( I'm considering checking out the EarthTone Naturals gellly, because it's supposed to have a similar effect, but its ingredients are wonderful.​

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Goal ayurvedic regimen for September (and perhaps the remainder of 2017).

NOTE: Photo enlarges upon click.

Chromia

1. Tell us about your hair!
Natural. Healthy. Thick strands. Type 4. BSL/MBL in front, WL in back.

2. What do you feel your hair's needs are?
Moisture. Prevention of single strand knots.

3. Tell us about your current regimen.(Products, steps/actions/activities, etc.) What's working in your current regimen?
I'm always using something different (just recently ordered Jessicurl and Bee Mine products for the first time and I'm eager to try CC's Naturals) but here are my steps:

1) Shampoo
2) DC for 30 min with heat - I just started doing this again. I went a couple of years doing only rinse-out conditioners to make things go quickly. Also, I had used a few DC's I didn't like and I didn't want to bother with trying any more.

Then I detangle after I apply these products:
3) Leave-In
4) Styler with a light or medium hold.
5) Oil

I twist my hair and air dry, then wear a twist-out. In the summer my twist-outs don't last as long and I eventually wear a high puff.

4. What are your regimen-improvement goals, if any?Consistency with DCing.
I'm getting used to shampooing at the kitchen sink and/or rinsing out my DC at the sink. Much better than getting in the shower, getting out & drying off, getting back in the shower, getting out again, etc. :drunk:

And using cool/cold water to seal the hair shaft when rinsing out a DC is much more comfortable at the sink than in the shower!
:cold:

5. Anything else you would like to share?
Dharma Trading Co (www.dharmatrading.com) is a great place to get silk scarves. The 35x35 or 44x44 Habotai and Crepe De Chine scarves are great for sleeping.

More sites about consumer safety and product ingredients to add to the link in post #4:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Goal ayurvedic regimen for September (and perhaps the remainder of 2017).

NOTE: Photo enlarges upon click.

Update:

Yesterday I trialed the above, and it was a winner, winner, winner!!!

Prepoo/detangle/cleanse/condition: Pure O.N.E. Beauty African Black Soap Prepoo Mud Mask/Wash (applied at sink, left in for a little over 15 minutes)
Silken and strengthen: Organic rice water rinse (applied on naked hair in the shower, rinsed out at end of shower)
Infuse ayurvedic ingredients and seal: Jakeala Shea Amla Parfait (applied at sink)
Style: EarthTones Naturals Gelly . . . 3 flat twists on each side at the front, two-strand twists everywhere else for a total of 16 twists

WP_20170909_013.jpg

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy , where do you purchase the jakaela amla shea parfait?
Also, did you make the culyprverbs oil or buy from her website?

:wave:

Hi, @scarcity21.

I purchased the Jakeala Shea Amla Parfait from here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/119919542/amla-hair-shea-hemp-castor-parfait?ref=hp_rv. Shipping is slow, so be forewarned. However, otherwise customer service is stellar. I have some more arriving in the peachy scent (same scent as her award-winning cowash bar). :drool: She permitted me to custom order the scent.

I made the CurlyProverbz Oil myself. Here's the latest recipe I'm using: https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...-hair-growth-oil.816155/page-14#post-24169735

Once you go to that post, you can browse the remainder of the thread to see how people are making it.

Hope this helps!

scarcity21

:wave:

Hi, @scarcity21.

I purchased the Jakeala Shea Amla Parfait from here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/119919542/amla-hair-shea-hemp-castor-parfait?ref=hp_rv. Shipping is slow, so be forewarned. However, otherwise customer service is stellar. I have some more arriving in the peachy scent (same scent as her award-winning cowash bar). :drool: She permitted me to custom order the scent.

I made the CurlyProverbz Oil myself. Here's the latest recipe I'm using: https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...-hair-growth-oil.816155/page-14#post-24169735

Once you go to that post, you can browse the remainder of the thread to see how people are making it.

Hope this helps!
Hi @YvetteWithJoy , :wave: Thank you so much!!!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Updates/reflections based on the last few months of hair care:
  1. The DC-wash-DC method is still excellent, excellent, excellent for my hair.
  2. The best product+technique combo so far for the second DCing process is: Smoothing the SM Manuka Honey masque or Soultanicals Afrotastic Elastic DC into my dryer-than-not strands, applying it very liberally like a relaxer, using heat for 30+ minutes, and rinsing with cool water. Silky!
  3. The CurlyProverbz DIY oil is fantastic for my hair.
  4. The Jakeala Shea Amla Hair Parfait is fantastic for my hair. I need to always order it LIGHTLY scented, however.
  5. Issue that still needs addressing: When I end up having to rush and ponytail my hair for styling on wash day, the resultant tangling and SSKs require detangling, manipulation, handling, and snipping that retard length retention!!!

IMPORTANT REMEDY: If time is getting low, instead of applying product, a better option is to simply chunky twist, secure ends with clothy bands, apply a processing cap, and slap on my short bob china doll wig. Allowing the hair to dry in a wng puff is disastrous!!!

6. That stripping Kinky Curly shampoo (that was in the donate/sell pile) came in super handy for removing the synthetic ingredients steamed into my hair. So glad I remembered I had it, and so glad I had not yet given it away or sold it.
Things I want to try sooner than later:
  1. Another deep wave curlformer set. This time I hope to have time to let it fully dry!!! :smile: I need to obtain the right setting product that will result in smooth hair.
  2. I just bought the Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer (leave-in spray) and will be trialing that. It is discussed all over this board. Fingers crossed.
  3. I've had a sample packet from Sprouts of the St. Tropics (or whatever) coconut hot oil treatment. It contains many different forms of coconut, and it contains amla. I need to try it.
  4. I need a gel with crunch. I just do. My hair needs to be shellacked and elongated to prevent tangles and thus SSKs.
  5. I want to try the GreenBeauty Real Protein treatment to compare it to Komaza's and to Colorful Protein Neutral Filler.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
So . . . I have the prepoo, detangle, wash, treat, and DC portion of wash day down cold and am soooooooooo grateful! :clapping:

I am thus still working on the hydrate, moisturize, seal, and style phase.

Next up for trial:
  1. aloe Vera juice -containing leave-in spray: Aphogee Green Tea Restructurizer
  2. ayurvedic leave-in: Qhemet Moringa Tree Conditioning Ghee
  3. gel: Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curly Magic ( . . . and if that doesn't work well, then invest in Curl Junkie's Pattern Pusha or some other reportedly crunch-yielding gel???)

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Updates/reflections based on the last few months of hair care:
  1. The DC-wash-DC method is still excellent, excellent, excellent for my hair.
  2. The best product+technique combo so far for the second DCing process is: Smoothing the SM Manuka Honey masque or Soultanicals Afrotastic Elastic DC into my dryer-than-not strands, applying it very liberally like a relaxer, using heat for 30+ minutes, and rinsing with cool water. Silky!
  3. The CurlyProverbz DIY oil is fantastic for my hair.
  4. The Jakeala Shea Amla Hair Parfait is fantastic for my hair. I need to always order it LIGHTLY scented, however.
  5. Issue that still needs addressing: When I end up having to rush and ponytail my hair for styling on wash day, the resultant tangling and SSKs require detangling, manipulation, handling, and snipping that retard length retention!!!

IMPORTANT REMEDY: If time is getting low, instead of applying product, a better option is to simply chunky twist, secure ends with clothy bands, apply a processing cap, and slap on my short bob china doll wig. Allowing the hair to dry in a wng puff is disastrous!!!

6. That stripping Kinky Curly shampoo (that was in the donate/sell pile) came in super handy for removing the synthetic ingredients steamed into my hair. So glad I remembered I had it, and so glad I had not yet given it away or sold it.
Things I want to try sooner than later:
  1. Another deep wave curlformer set. This time I hope to have time to let it fully dry!!! :smile: I need to obtain the right setting product that will result in smooth hair.
  2. I just bought the Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer (leave-in spray) and will be trialing that. It is discussed all over this board. Fingers crossed.
  3. I've had a sample packet from Sprouts of the St. Tropics (or whatever) coconut hot oil treatment. It contains many different forms of coconut, and it contains amla. I need to try it.
  4. I need a gel with crunch. I just do. My hair needs to be shellacked and elongated to prevent tangles and thus SSKs.
  5. I want to try the GreenBeauty Real Protein treatment to compare it to Komaza's and to Colorful Protein Neutral Filler.

Let me add to the "things I want to try sooner than later" list:

Sesame seed oil. Several hipo ladies have raved about its silkening effect and importance in their regimen.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
By "silkening" does it add shine? Make hair easier to detangle? Do tell!

I'll have to link the thread/posts when I get a chance, because I don't want to misquote or overstate. IIRC, posters felt the sesame seed oil did a great job of filling gaps in the hair shaft for a smoothing effect.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Day 1 is a full wash day. I wash with Redken Cleansing Cream (aka bae), do a protein treatment (mix of colorful neutral protein filler, bamboo extract, Aphogee 2 minute and very warm water, the first "day 1" of each month I add Ion's olaplex dupe), dc with whatever I have open, Garnier Fructis sleek n shine cream for leave-in, seal with almond or grape seed oil, Carol's Daughter liquid pomade, APB honey body glaze and APB hair and body butta then style according to work/social plans.

Days 4&7 I cowash with As I Am coconut cowash then repeat the above steps/products from leave-in to styling.

Day 10 becomes the new day 1 and I repeat all the day 1 steps.

Going back to this regimen until December 2018. The only difference is that I will either style in a bun or 4-6 2 strand twists and I have changed some of the products I use.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Notes to self:
  1. Curl Junkie Smoothing lotion is an AMAZING detangler, contains aloe, and is flexible as either a leave-in or rinse-out, according to the bottle. NOTHING I've ever used is more slippery, and I incurred almost no hair loss detangling my whole head with it in the shower.This probably needs to be my go-to leave-in, despite the lack of ayurvedic ingredients. Maybe I can cocktail it with some DIY CurlyProverbz ayurvedic hair growth oil?
  2. Yvette, you don't really like the STRENGTH of the smell of the Qhemet Moringa Conditioning Ghee. Also, when you are heavy handed with it, it looks like you have dandruff.
  3. Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curly Magic (gel) is drying on your hair.
Next up: Seeing what Aveda products do for my hair.

upload_2017-10-5_4-37-22.png

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Notes to self:
  1. Curl Junkie Smoothing lotion is an AMAZING detangler, contains aloe, and is flexible as either a leave-in or rinse-out, according to the bottle. NOTHING I've ever used is more slippery, and I incurred almost no hair loss detangling my whole head with it in the shower.This probably needs to be my go-to leave-in, despite the lack of ayurvedic ingredients. Maybe I can cocktail it with some DIY CurlyProverbz ayurvedic hair growth oil?
  2. Yvette, you don't really like the STRENGTH of the smell of the Qhemet Moringa Conditioning Ghee. Also, when you are heavy handed with it, it looks like you have dandruff.
  3. Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curly Magic (gel) is drying on your hair.
Next up: Seeing what Aveda products do for my hair.

View attachment 412839

Update:

:up: Aveda's Smooth Infusion Intense Smoothing Masque absolutely smoothed and clumped my hair like nothing I've seen before! I used it after finger detangling and prepooing with my DIY CurlyProverbz Ayurvedic Hair Growth Oil (I'd let the oil sit in my hair for about an hour). I detangled with the Aveda masque and rinsed it out with very, very cool water (near cold). Wowser! Like the tube said, it began working in (less than) 5 minutes. Additionally, it made detangling a BREEZE.

:down: Aveda Be Curly Curl Control has NO hold and prevented not one bit of frizziness of hair on my head. An Aveda agent told me it would be awesome for my kinky coily hair. :nono: However, I met with an Aveda stylist today, and she said, "No way: Maybe if you used the entire bottle that product might do something for your textured hair. Might. I would never recommend this product for your texture of hair." Good thing I can drive to a special Aveda store and return it!

And:

The stylist rejected the agent's advice that the thickening tonic would thicken my ends. The stylist REALLY wants me to try the Smooth Infusing Glossing Straightener because she feels like it likely will keep my ends from tangling, etc. IDK. :look:

I may at some point try their product advertised to completely reversibly, progressively loosen curls with continued use. It's not a keratin treatment, she said, but only works with heat. Full effects are reached after 5 uses. If you stop using it and wash the hair 3-5 times, it is supposed to reverse completely. The mechanism for the curl loosening is -- SUPPOSEDLY -- attributable to TAPIOCA STARCH'S ENTRY INTO THE HAIR STRAND. Beats me! IDK anything about that!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thinking aloud about an improved regimen going forward

Strategies
  • Design and try a personalized version of CurlyProverbz ayurvedic hair regimen, to potentially include:
    • prepooing with either my version of her DIY oil alone or the oil cocktailed with a (deep) conditioner
    • clay cleansing every 1 or 2 weeks, depending on what my hair says
    • using strengthening teas
    • scalp massaging with my version of her DIY oil and an electronic scalp massager
    • keep with my L.O.G. (liquid, oil, gel), but use CurlyProverbz products or similar
    • ends care via sealing
  • Divide up wash day by:
    • prepooing and finger detangling the night before wash day
    • on wash day, scalp cleansing and washing . . . then detangling with 2nd DC
    • instead of styling right after washing, chunky twisting DC-containing hair and wearing it under a processing cap under a wig (GHE)
    • styling later that second day in the afternoon/evening (typically a twist out) and letting it air dry over night
Products
  • Possible prepoo:
    • ??? 4:1 ration of CurlyProverbz DIY ayurvedic hair growth oil and a DC such as Shea Moisture's High Porosity Masque
    • ??? Chicoro's recipe for a moisture-drenched prepoo (made with the CurlyProverbz DIY ayurvedic hair growth oil???)
  • Possible cleanser(s):
    • Perhaps once a month: HairPrint Chelating Shampoo
    • Ayurvedic poo bar: Soultanicals Soulvedic Poo Bar
    • ??? Ayurvedic cowash: Keravada Hydromax Cowash if it turns out to be any good
  • Possible deep conditioner(s):
    • ??? a CurlyProverbz masque
    • ??? Aveda Smooth Infusion Intense Smoothing Masque alone
    • ??? Aveda Smooth Infusion Intense Smoothing Masque with Real Green Beauty Protein mixed in
    • ??? Aveda Smooth Infusion Intense Smoothing Masque with CurlyProverbz DIY hair growth oil mixed in
    • ??? Shea Moisture Manuka Honey Masque alone
    • ??? Shea Moisture Manuka Honey Masque with with Real Green Beauty Protein mixed in
    • ??? alternate every other week or wash day between (1) a CurlyProverbz masque and (2) Aveda Smooth Infusion Intense Smoothing Masque with Real Green Beauty Protein mixed in
  • Possible protein treatment (pick one):
    • ??? Real Green Beauty Protein mixed in with a DC
    • ??? Komaza Protein Hair Strengthener
  • Possible strengthener (use only one):
    • ??? CurlyProverbz strengthening tea
    • ???Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin Restructurizer (spray; has 'cones)
  • Possible oil(s):
    • ??? CurlyProverbz DIY ayurvedic hair growth oil (??? add sesame [seed] oil to my version)
    • ??? Keravada 1010 oil with MSM added not to the original bottle but to a hair color applicator bottle containing some of the Keravada 1010 oil
  • Possible sealant:
    • ??? Jakeala Shiloh Hair Balm
    • ??? Jakeala Shea Amla Parfait (request scenting to be half as strong as normal)
  • Possible ends care product:
    • ??? Jakeala Shiloh Hair Balm
    • ??? Jakeala Shea Amla Parfait
    • ??? a crunchy gel
    • ??? CurlyProverbz DIY ayurvedic hair growth oil
    • ??? a cocktail of one or more of the above