2017 Share Nuggets From The Christian/spiritual Book You're Reading

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:wavey:

Hi, ladies (and gentlemen? :look:).
  1. Who are some of your favorite Christian authors?
  2. What are some of your favorite Christian books?
  3. What Christian/spiritual book are you reading at the moment?
As you encounter nuggets from the books you are reading, if you are so inclined, please share them in this thread to bless your fellow Christians as well as yourself: Sharing and reflecting are practices that solidify learning/study.

Blessings all around!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Whenever I find myself reading an amazing Christian or spiritual book that deepens my faith and/or deepens my love for God, our Savior, or the Holy Spirit and/or sends me to the Word, I think of John 14:12:

12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.​

Some of these Christian authors out here are doing a great work for God!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Okay, so currently I'm reading "Glory Days: Living Your Promised Land Life Now" by Max Lucado.

Pages 64-67 made my heart swell for God!

Here's a tiny part of page 64:

[LHCF] Excerpt of excerpt of Glory Days pp64-67.png

The two sentences that hit me most deeply:
  1. "Don't face Satan by facing Satan. Face Satan by facing God."
  2. "Glance at the devil and gaze at Christ."
How much time do we spend in fear versus peace/praise/assurance/rest? To me, being in the grip of fear means I'm not gazing at Christ--I'm just glancing at Him while gazing at Satan. But if I keep my eyes on Jesus, then I'm activating Hebrews 12:1-3!:

1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.​

Blessings, everyone!

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
Read Oseola McCarty's book in one sitting two days ago. She is a woman who worked as a laundress her whole life. After 80 years, she saved up $250,000 and donated $180,000 to the local university.

images-1.jpg

Her book is full of simple nuggets of wisdom that are extremely hard to put into practice without the help of the Lord. What's even more baffling is that her life was so long and her spirit so generous, yet her book consists of 80 pages only. Goes to show how humble she was.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@Jphillips, oh, this material is perfect timing for me! Thanks so much for sharing!

I haven't listened to or read Dr. Evans a lot, but the one book I have of his is ah-mazing. It's called God Is More Than Enough. It's the best treatment of Psalm 23 I've ever encountered.

I will be getting the book you shared. I need it! Thanks again. :smile:

ThursdayGirl

Not a spiritual book, but I just finished "the Hiding Place". It tells the story of the ten Boom family, Dutch Christians who in their later years (I think Corrie was the youngest and was in her late 40s) God used to hide and transport European Jews to safety during WW II. The second half of the book describes how they were caught, but managed to keep their eyes on Jesus for support - through imprisonment even while in a concentration camp. God was faithful to them and they helped spread hope to their fellow prisoners through the Bible. It is an amazing and inspirational story. The take home message is that God provides what you need, when you need it.

kikigirl

Bump for 2018

I'm reading "Onward: Engaging the culture without losing the Gospel" by Russell Moore.

"We ought to approach the future without the clenching of our fists or the wringing of our hands. We ought to see the ongoing cultural shake-up in America as a liberation of sorts from a captivity we never even knew we were in. The closeness of American culture with the church caused many sectors of the American church to read the Bible as though the Bible were pointing us to America itself. That’s why endless recitations of 2 Chronicles 7: 14 focused on revival in the nation as a means to national blessing, without ever seeming to ask who the “my people” of this text actually are, and what it means, in light of the gospel, to be “blessed.”

If our principal means of differentiation is politics or culture, then we have every reason to see those around us as our enemies, and to see ourselves as somehow morally superior. But if what differentiates us is blood poured out for our sins, then we see ourselves for what we are: hell-deserving sinners in the hands of a merciful God."