2017 Shoulder Length Challenge

faithVA

I did four twists in the back and one crown twist. It was hard! I tried doing it from the left and couldn't figure it out, so I tried from the right and it came out better.
That turned out nicely. How do you have it in the very back? Did you pin it up?

lindseyerinc

Checking in! My hair seems to be doing very well. I've made it to full SL so I'm trying to keep it on my head and grow even more. I'm still alternating my mayonnaise pre poo with olaplex and using NJoy growth oil. I also just started drinking the "drink your way to waistlength" egg shake. Mostly because of all the nutrients for overall health.

LdyKamz

Man I had to go all the way to the 5th page to find this thread so I'm bumping it!

I think I'm going to straighten this month for a quick length check even though I know it's not time yet. And after that I think I'm going to transition out of heat altogether. The front of my hair and the back of my hair has always been the loosest part of my hair. When my hair gets to a certain length it's almost like the front has no curl pattern at all. BUT I'm starting to think those parts require no direct heat at all. No blow drying no nothing. I'm excited to find out.

Evolving78

Man I had to go all the way to the 5th page to find this thread so I'm bumping it!

I think I'm going to straighten this month for a quick length check even though I know it's not time yet. And after that I think I'm going to transition out of heat altogether. The front of my hair and the back of my hair has always been the loosest part of my hair. When my hair gets to a certain length it's almost like the front has no curl pattern at all. BUT I'm starting to think those parts require no direct heat at all. No blow drying no nothing. I'm excited to find out.
No more heat styling?

faithVA

To extend my color a little bit I skipped shampooing this week. I took out each flat twist, oiled my scalp, moisturized with Mane Choice Restorative spray, sealed with gel and twisted back up. I may need to add some moisture to my scalp mid week but I think my hair will be fine. I will do my wash regimen and color on Sunday.

LdyKamz

So I'll probably straighten this weekend to get it out of my system and then back to bantu knot outs, flex it rod sets, perm rod sets, twist and curls and my boring 2 braids. I don't know any other styles and really all these styles look the same on my hair to me. I think other people can tell the difference but I think they all look the same.

Evolving78

I washed, blow dried my hair, and trimmed my ends. I used Aphogee 2min, then used Macadamia oil masque. That left my hair a bit stiff, so I will be focusing on moisture for a few washes. My hair looks good overall and my ends look good.
Since I'm being a bit hair lazy, I'm going to make sure I remove shed hairs and do an oil treatment before I shampoo. I got some knots waiting so long to not wash my hair. I can't go that long anymore. That was 8 days. My hair needs the cleansing, hydration, and moisture from washing and deep conditioning.

Evolving78

So I'll probably straighten this weekend to get it out of my system and then back to bantu knot outs, flex it rod sets, perm rod sets, twist and curls and my boring 2 braids. I don't know any other styles and really all these styles look the same on my hair to me. I think other people can tell the difference but I think they all look the same.
Did you straighten your hair yet?

faithVA

I debating on going back to henna and trying indigo. Initially I felt like henna dried my hair out and made it hard but I learned that my hair was heat damaged. So maybe it was that. I didn't love henna. I had 50 different colors on my hair because it would take OK but not great. But maybe with what I have learned it will work better.

I love the color of the semi-permanent but with my low porosity hair, every time I touch my hair, color just bleeds off. So it makes me hesistant to moisturize or style in anyway because the color just barely last 3 weeks as it is.

I'm still debating. I hated henna when I used it so I'm on the fence. It's like picking between brussel sprouts and seaweed salad :sad:

faithVA

Gave my hair some tlc. I rinsed and shampooed with the Mane Choice shampoo. I used Nexxus Emergencee conditioner for the first time. I think I like it. I didn't leave it on long. I left it on long enough to work it through and take a shower. My hair felt nice and soft after. Not sure how often I am going to use it but I thought it might help my ends in between strong protein treatments.

I deep conditioned for 2 to 3 hours with TGIN Deep Conditioner. Before rinsing, I layered my oil blend on top of that and then rinsed. I added a little more oil and put my hair into 11 flat twist. I will see if it produces a flat twist out tomorrow. I don't think so but it is worth a try.

Tomorrow I will shampoo and color and put in my regular flat twist.

This was a good hair day. It was nice and simple and my hair feels good.

Evolving78

I debating on going back to henna and trying indigo. Initially I felt like henna dried my hair out and made it hard but I learned that my hair was heat damaged. So maybe it was that. I didn't love henna. I had 50 different colors on my hair because it would take OK but not great. But maybe with what I have learned it will work better.

I love the color of the semi-permanent but with my low porosity hair, every time I touch my hair, color just bleeds off. So it makes me hesistant to moisturize or style in anyway because the color just barely last 3 weeks as it is.

I'm still debating. I hated henna when I used it so I'm on the fence. It's like picking between brussel sprouts and seaweed salad :sad:
I have color run off too. Have you tried a demi Perm?

faithVA

My twist-out with just oil was very defined. It was too short to be worth wearing but it is good to know I can do something simple and have a style. I had planned on coloring today but I decided to go with the henna. I ordered it and it should be by the weekend. So I wore two flat twists until this evening. I committed to wearing the same style for all of June so decided to not wear the 2 flat twists for the week.

I used the Argan Oil Split End Mender on my ends and then used the TGIN Twist & Define Cream. I put in 11 flat twist to the side and then tuck the ends under in 2 separate sections. I got a good stretch over the coarse of the day so it almost looks like it does when I do a rollerset.

I will use my cover up stick and cover these grays until the henna comes.

jennifer30

I did an acv rinse yesterday. Made detangling super easy. I tried to moisturize my hair but im starting to think natural products does not work for my hair.. they make my hair dry, stick together and shrink really badly. ..so i grabbed some hair grease and applied that. Surprisingly my hair came back to life..its soft and manageable now...i guess ill be sticking with grease for a while...

Evolving78

I did an acv rinse yesterday. Made detangling super easy. I tried to moisturize my hair but im starting to think natural products does not work for my hair.. they make my hair dry, stick together and shrink really badly. ..so i grabbed some hair grease and applied that. Surprisingly my hair came back to life..its soft and manageable now...i guess ill be sticking with grease for a while...
That sounds good! Natural products pretty much sit on top of my hair. I recently bought some Creme Of Nature grease too. I plan on using it on my daughter. I used it on my edges to help prevent reversion.

LdyKamz

Still didn't straighten. :lol: But it's fine. I've lost the urge. Instead I've been cowashing everyday and my hair is so soft. I've just been putting in 2 braids. The front of my hair I think is the longest it has ever been. Not that long but I usually cut the front to keep bangs but it's growing past my nose and I had cut back to the middle of the bridge of my nose in April. I may have mentioned this before. And I've been good. No headbands or buns even though the buns are getting so easy to do in the shower. But I like the way my nape is coming along so I'll continue to behave. Today is one of those days where I'm happy with my progress. Tomorrow might be a different story. :look:

beingofserenity

Still didn't straighten. :lol: But it's fine. I've lost the urge. Instead I've been cowashing everyday and my hair is so soft. I've just been putting in 2 braids. The front of my hair I think is the longest it has ever been. Not that long but I usually cut the front to keep bangs but it's growing past my nose and I had cut back to the middle of the bridge of my nose in April. I may have mentioned this before. And I've been good. No headbands or buns even though the buns are getting so easy to do in the shower. But I like the way my nape is coming along so I'll continue to behave. Today is one of those days where I'm happy with my progress. Tomorrow might be a different story. :look:

What do you cowash with? How do you style your braids?

LdyKamz

What do you cowash with? How do you style your braids?
I alternate between Aussie moist and Paul Mitchell intense daily moisture (that's not the full/exact name but it's close enough lol) I just do 2 cornrows one on each side. I might start doing French braids. I tried once but I couldn't get the other one right so I just went back to cornrows.

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
IMG_1593.JPG I had a semi-successful flexirod set, I'll share a pic here too that I already posted in the setting thread.
Here's what I did:
Shampoo with almond and avocado design essentials detangling shampoo
In-shower condition with design essentials almond butter conditioner-great slip for detangling
Products for setting-the leave-in and the curl enhancing mousse

I am still about neck length but my hair looks decent. I think I can possibly deal with this for the summer.

LdyKamz

View attachment 402185 I had a semi-successful flexirod set, I'll share a pic here too that I already posted in the setting thread.
Here's what I did:
Shampoo with almond and avocado design essentials detangling shampoo
In-shower condition with design essentials almond butter conditioner-great slip for detangling
Products for setting-the leave-in and the curl enhancing mousse

I am still about neck length but my hair looks decent. I think I can possibly deal with this for the summer.
Cute! I love it. I can't remember are you relaxed or natural? Did you set them in a certain pattern? I want a decent stretch like this when I do mine.

So does this mean no more installs for the summer?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Cute! I love it. I can't remember are you relaxed or natural? Did you set them in a certain pattern? I want a decent stretch like this when I do mine.

So does this mean no more installs for the summer?
Thank you!! I am natural, 4a/b. There was no particular pattern at all, I just got them all in my head.
And yea for right now, I think I'm gonna just work with my own hair.