2017 Shoulder Length Challenge

LdyKamz

Thank you!! I am natural, 4a/b. There was no particular pattern at all, I just got them all in my head.
And yea for right now, I think I'm gonna just work with my own hair.
How are you preserving the style? I haven't done a flexi rod set in so long I don't even remember how I would keep it.

faithVA

I wish I had stated a goal month when I did my original post to see if I am on target. I think I had expected for at least my nape to be SL by now but since I didn't state it I don't remember :sad: My next length check is the end of August so hopefully I am on track. My growth seems slower this year than last year though.

faithVA

I have been procrastinating doing my hair today. Just don't feel like it but it is too scraggly to get a pass. I shampooed it with Mane Choice 3-In-1 Conditioner. I oiled my scalp with the Mane Choice oil. Now I'm procrastinating again. I just have to apply my twist cream and split end repair serum and put in my flat twist. Since I committed to wearing the same style all month it makes this part easier.

I start swimming this weeks so I may have to change my style to allow for shampooing twice a week.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
How are you preserving the style? I haven't done a flexi rod set in so long I don't even remember how I would keep it.
There was no preservation on that day, it was 90 degrees and very humid :cry: it was a cute fro tho.
But real talk I'm gonna have to troubleshoot. I used to pineapple but my hair isn't long enough for that yet. So heck, I don't know

Miss617

Always left of center
Hey ladies. Just stopping in to say hi! I've been terrible with posting in here lately. I'm still doing my flat twists but man, I really need to get better with my parts LOL. For this week, I've got four twists twisted to the left and pinned. (I need to work on my picture taking, too.)

I've noticed that even though I'm not losing as much hair when I wash, it seems like the right side of my hair is thinning in places. Not sure what that's about, especially since it seems like my edges were starting to fill in a little. I'm wondering if it could be because of the twists? I don't do them too tight or anything. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20170620_141413-1.jpg
    20170620_141413-1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 35
  • 20170620_141345-1.jpg
    20170620_141345-1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20170620_141302-1.jpg
    20170620_141302-1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31

faithVA

Hey ladies. Just stopping in to say hi! I've been terrible with posting in here lately. I'm still doing my flat twists but man, I really need to get better with my parts LOL. For this week, I've got four twists twisted to the left and pinned. (I need to work on my picture taking, too.)

I've noticed that even though I'm not losing as much hair when I wash, it seems like the right side of my hair is thinning in places. Not sure what that's about, especially since it seems like my edges were starting to fill in a little. I'm wondering if it could be because of the twists? I don't do them too tight or anything. Any suggestions?
You talking about an easy style that is great. I need to make that happen.
I doubt your twist are the culprit. Try doing a scalp detox with bentonite clay or one of those scalp exfoliators from sallys to make sure none of your follicles are blocked.

I wouldn't worry about the parts unless they are really bothering you. You will get better each time you do it.

Miss617

Always left of center
You talking about an easy style that is great. I need to make that happen.
I doubt your twist are the culprit. Try doing a scalp detox with bentonite clay or one of those scalp exfoliators from sallys to make sure none of your follicles are blocked.

I wouldn't worry about the parts unless they are really bothering you. You will get better each time you do it.

I'm experimenting with different styles, but I feel like I always end up with something more basic than I envisioned in my head. I've seen some really nice updos that I wanna try, but my hands won't let me be great LOL. But I think I've got the crown twist down, so I kinda go from there. I have some Aztec Secret, could I use that? How would I know if my follicles are blocked?

I usually forget about the parts the day after I style, it just sometimes looks like I have a weird bald spot. :laugh:

faithVA

I'm experimenting with different styles, but I feel like I always end up with something more basic than I envisioned in my head. I've seen some really nice updos that I wanna try, but my hands won't let me be great LOL. But I think I've got the crown twist down, so I kinda go from there. I have some Aztec Secret, could I use that? How would I know if my follicles are blocked?

I usually forget about the parts the day after I style, it just sometimes looks like I have a weird bald spot. :laugh:
Yes you can use the Aztec. The only way you would know is to have a hair analysis or maybe a dermatologist could tell you. I say try some things on your own before you go that route. Detox, scalp massages, healing oil blends and keep your scalp clean and see if that corrects the issue.

faithVA

I got my henna on Wednesday I think or was it Tuesday. I dunno! Anyway I prepared it this morning and I have it in my hair now. It's been a long time since I've used henna. I will rinse it out around 9:30 and see what it looks like before I prepare the dark brown henna. If the red looks OK I may not bother with the dark brown/indigo this time around.

I'm already sleepy and just want to go to bed.

faithVA

The henna took well enough. I was tired so I rinsed and twisted it up. I put the henna/indigo in this morning but it didn't take at all. After I deep conditioned I could see the indigo just running down the drain :ohwell: Next time I will try doing the indigo right after the henna to see if it works better. I may try doing the indigo only after I shampoo on Monday. It's probably going to take some trial and error like the color rinse did.

I hate to walk around with this brassy red but I have stuff I got to do today and places I gotta go :ohwell:

On the positive end, I deep conditioned with the TGIN deep conditioner and my hair was so soft and manageable. I love this line. :yep: I put my hair into 5 flat twist going to the right. This will be my go to style after I swim because I'm not trying to spend all day in my head.

LdyKamz

It is just not meant for me to straighten is it? I blow dried and wanted to take a break before pulling out the flat iron so I decided to hand wash some delicate unmentionables. While they were soaking I start straightening and then my landlord knocks on my door. Perfect timing smh and now I'm being weird and trying to keep him in the hallway because I know he's gonna wanna come inside. And i have underwear in the sink, its hot and it smells like burnt hair(i have to clean one of my flat irons). He starts poking his head in and I'm like just come in. By this time I'm sweating and my hair is starting to revert into a puff. Then he goes in the bathroom and sees my hair products everywhere and my dang on underwear soaking in the sink! Ugh! I couldn't hustle him out of here fast enough. And now there is no point in finishing straightening so I'm just sitting here under my air conditioner trying to decide what to do with this frizzy mess on my head. What a waste!

faithVA

It is just not meant for me to straighten is it? I blow dried and wanted to take a break before pulling out the flat iron so I decided to hand wash some delicate unmentionables. While they were soaking I start straightening and then my landlord knocks on my door. Perfect timing smh and now I'm being weird and trying to keep him in the hallway because I know he's gonna wanna come inside. And i have underwear in the sink, its hot and it smells like burnt hair(i have to clean one of my flat irons). He starts poking his head in and I'm like just come in. By this time I'm sweating and my hair is starting to revert into a puff. Then he goes in the bathroom and sees my hair products everywhere and my dang on underwear soaking in the sink! Ugh! I couldn't hustle him out of here fast enough. And now there is no point in finishing straightening so I'm just sitting here under my air conditioner trying to decide what to do with this frizzy mess on my head. What a waste!
:look: What in the world? :lol:

Evolving78

I came to post right after my landlord left. I was in such a state. :lol: I was annoyed my landlord showed up, I was embarrassed he saw my undies in the sink and I was ticked off that my hair was reverting immediately. I just got it all out right away.
See you just scared the mess out of me! :lachen: I'm laughing, but you just added to my anxiety and OCD habits! Lol this is exactly why I try to stay organized and clean up after each thing I do. Like I just rinse, use peroxide if needed, handwash, and hang in the closet. Shimmie gave an idea years ago about soaking undies in a baby wipes container.
But as soon as I get out of the shower, I clean it. After I wash my face and brush my teeth, I clean the sink. After I use a hair product, I put it right back.

Maintenance guy walked in without prior notice to my understanding and I just got out of the shower. He came to fix the toilet handle. I always have that fear in the back of my head, and him doing that, justified why I clean like a psycho! lol it's funny, but I'm serious. I can laugh at myself.

I started a thread about it and the majority said they weren't company ready. I'm like maybe I need to chill, but nope! Somebody came to the door trying to sell something, and he was peeping in and said my home smelled lovely. (I'm like, I wipe my walls down daily)

LdyKamz

See you just scared the mess out of me! :lachen: I'm laughing, but you just added to my anxiety and OCD habits! Lol this is exactly why I try to stay organized and clean up after each thing I do. Like I just rinse, use peroxide if needed, handwash, and hang in the closet. Shimmie gave an idea years ago about soaking undies in a baby wipes container.
But as soon as I get out of the shower, I clean it. After I wash my face and brush my teeth, I clean the sink. After I use a hair product, I put it right back.

Maintenance guy walked in without prior notice to my understanding and I just got out of the shower. He came to fix the toilet handle. I always have that fear in the back of my head, and him doing that, justified why I clean like a psycho! lol it's funny, but I'm serious. I can laugh at myself.

I started a thread about it and the majority said they weren't company ready. I'm like maybe I need to chill, but nope! Somebody came to the door trying to sell something, and he was peeping in and said my home smelled lovely. (I'm like, I wipe my walls down daily)
I mean the place was clean and any other time I wouldn't have minded him coming in. But of course he had to catch me in the middle of doing something AND wanted to check the bathroom. So random! It wasn't even just the underwear though. I'm standing there and my hair is literally shrinking up into a puff before his eyes and he was looking at me like "what in the world" Just ridiculous.

As he was leaving he did say he liked what I did with the place and other people in the building had their places all cluttered and crowded. He said he likes the space. It didn't make me feel better though. :lol:

Evolving78

I mean the place was clean and any other time I wouldn't have minded him coming in. But of course he had to catch me in the middle of doing something AND wanted to check the bathroom. So random! It wasn't even just the underwear though. I'm standing there and my hair is literally shrinking up into a puff before his eyes and he was looking at me like "what in the world" Just ridiculous.

As he was leaving he did say he liked what I did with the place and other people in the building had their places all cluttered and crowded. He said he likes the space. It didn't make me feel better though. :lol:
He was reassuring you it was ok! lol he let you know you are a good tenant!
Girl I'm just a nutty butty! lol my mind works totally different! I empty out my coffee pot soon after, so won't anybody think anything weird of me! Lol

Hope your next straightening session is more peaceful!

faithVA

I need something to smooth my twists. They always look fuzzy after I do them, even when I blow dry my hair first. @faithVA Do you have any suggestions for a good product?

I'm not much help. If I do them on wet hair a gel sometimes makes the smoother. Usually though I have to let my hair dry and then apply a place. Oils and places tend to give me more smothness.

Miss617

Always left of center
I'm not much help. If I do them on wet hair a gel sometimes makes the smoother. Usually though I have to let my hair dry and then apply a place. Oils and places tend to give me more smothness.

I haven't tried doing them on wet hair yet, but I could try with some EcoStyler and see if that helps. I banded my hair and let it air dry yesterday, but I might need a new approach. Maybe avocado oil would be good? I have JBCO, but I think that'd be too heavy.

What's a place?

faithVA

I haven't tried doing them on wet hair yet, but I could try with some EcoStyler and see if that helps. I banded my hair and let it air dry yesterday, but I might need a new approach. Maybe avocado oil would be good? I have JBCO, but I think that'd be too heavy.

What's a place?
A typo. Meant pomade.

faithVA

I know I'm always down about my length. My hair seems to grow so slowly and sometimes it doesn't seem to grow at all. But tonight I had to admit I do notice some changes.

It used to be when I flat twisted my hair to the side when I tried to pull the ends together I would have to use some bobby pins. Then I was able to move to twisting the ends together and rubber banding the final twist. And I had a few more advancements like that.

Tonight I realize I grab the end of my twists and braid them together and tuck them under sans bobby pins or rubber bands. So I definitely have gained some length somewhere in order to do that.