2017 Shoulder Length Challenge

faithVA

LOL! I would LOVE to flat twist but at my present length, there are too many long parts to cover. I'll hopefully be able to by Spring. I think for flat twist to look cute styled, you have to have 8 or more inches of hair so it can hang right. My 2 strand twists look crazy but the twistout is really cute even with all the lopsided layers from home cutting, lol!
I don't have 8 inches of hair which is why 8 wear flat twist up does. I'm not sure even at 8 inches my hair will hang. I'm thinking I won't have decent hang until I'm APL.

My flat twist reach mid ear and im about 6 inches. It's going to take a lot more inches to even get them to hang to my jaw.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I'm on the other side. I say keep it. I think you should have one protein treatment in your stash. Even as a low po natural my hair likes some protein every now and then. My hair retains moisture better after a good protein treatment. It does have to be the right protein.

Yes certain ptoteins will help you receive moisture better...but it can't be any type. If you find your hair isn't retaining or receiving moisture as it has been then it's probably time to reconstruct. One of these days I'm going to buy the Komaza carw protein.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I don't have 8 inches of hair which is why 8 wear flat twist up does. I'm not sure even at 8 inches my hair will hang. I'm thinking I won't have decent hang until I'm APL.

My flat twist reach mid ear and im about 6 inches. It's going to take a lot more inches to even get them to hang to my jaw.

Yep...your hair is fine, right? People with course hair will have better hang time sooner because the hair is naturally heavier.
I think the coarseness, moisture level and hair type all will determine how soon you get hang. My hair is medium density so it can be scalpy especially if I flat twist too tight.

faithVA

Yep...your hair is fine, right? People with course hair will have better hang time sooner because the hair is naturally heavier.
I think the coarseness, moisture level and hair type all will determine how soon you get hang. My hair is medium density so it can be scalpy especially if I flat twist too tight.
No its not fine. I don't remember who the Komaza analysis said. It's between fine and coarse. My shrinkage is major so unless I strap her down she is always trying to draw up.

I'm straightening this weekend so I will see how long they hang. It won't be long enough to to wear down. And the front just doesn't want to act right now matter what.

Evolving78

Good dialogue ladies! We are gonna go into 2017 with so much knowledge and awareness of what are hair needs to achieve our goals! Besides SL my main goal was to get my Moisture balance on track, find and find a style that I can wear in between wash days.
I will go back to roller setting when I can get the Keracare wrap foam lotion. I adore that stuff. It doesn't give a ton of hold, but it isn't sticky, and doesn't dry the hair out. I can comb my curls out fear of mechanical breakage.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
No its not fine. I don't remember who the Komaza analysis said. It's between fine and coarse. My shrinkage is major so unless I strap her down she is always trying to draw up.

I'm straightening this weekend so I will see how long they hang. It won't be long enough to to wear down. And the front just doesn't want to act right now matter what.

Lol @ "strap her down"..I couldn't have said it better myself, haha!

My bangs area is the absolute worst too, it has no act right, lol. I noticed it's growing in more dense and thicker. Thank goodness I have patience when it comes to my hair.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Good dialogue ladies! We are gonna go into 2017 with so much knowledge and awareness of what are hair needs to achieve our goals! Besides SL my main goal was to get my Moisture balance on track, find and find a style that I can wear in between wash days.
I will go back to roller setting when I can get the Keracare wrap foam lotion. I adore that stuff. It doesn't give a ton of hold, but it isn't sticky, and doesn't dry the hair out. I can comb my curls out fear of mechanical breakage.

Yes it is, I love an active thread! Do you know what caused your moisture level imbalance?

I miss roller setting my hair...I almost mastered it and then I BC. I don't know about attempting it with my hair...the most I could do when I get length will probably be flexi-rods and Curlformers.

Have you tried the Nairobi foam? If so, how do you compare them? I need to get my hands on more Nairobi foam, that stuff was fire (as my daughter says, lol)!

Evolving78

Yes it is, I love an active thread! Do you know what caused your moisture level imbalance?

I miss roller setting my hair...I almost mastered it and then I BC. I don't know about attempting it with my hair...the most I could do when I get length will probably be flexi-rods and Curlformers.

Have you tried the Nairobi foam? If so, how do you compare them? I need to get my hands on more Nairobi foam, that stuff was fire (as my daughter says, lol)!
Two issues. I bleached my hair to remove the purple in the front, so of course bleach equals more moisture. Then I used ecostyler gel everyday and was using Shea moisture coconut/hibiscus products. On top of that I was using protein treatments thinking I needed them due to the bleach/color. Oh and just down right neglect/lazy.

I really like Nairobi almost three years ago. I didn't use it for roller sets, but I used it to mold my hair down to cut down on drying time. I stepped away from Nairobi because the products have a ton of protein in them. I used them up and never repurchased. I think the wrap lotion is great for molding, fingerwaves, other set styles, and roller sets that you don't plan on combing out.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Two issues. I bleached my hair to remove the purple in the front, so of course bleach equals more moisture. Then I used ecostyler gel everyday and was using Shea moisture coconut/hibiscus products. On top of that I was using protein treatments thinking I needed them due to the bleach/color. Oh and just down right neglect/lazy.

I really like Nairobi almost three years ago. I didn't use it for roller sets, but I used it to mold my hair down to cut down on drying time. I stepped away from Nairobi because the products have a ton of protein in them. I used them up and never repurchased. I think the wrap lotion is great for molding, fingerwaves, other set styles, and roller sets that you don't plan on combing out.

Wow, that's a lot! The good thing is you know what caused the problem and can correct it! I didn't realize the Nairobi had a lot of protein in it, they don't put ingredients on their labels so...I'll have to read more reviews on it. I hear Design Essentials have a good one too.

Yeah, I'll use it for wet curly sets only.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
It's coming along very nicely!

My hair is darker, more hydrated, more dense and and is growing and retaining at a normal rate! My ends are being chopped off over time so detangling is getting easier and easier. Take a look at my bangs! Once upon a time, I had to manipulate this area to hide all the spaces because it was soo thin. You can tell by my ends, see how thin they are...that was all the way up the strands before.

Somehow my left side won't let my twistout be great ...I'll be working on placement to get the same results as my right side.

I thank God for all the knowledge and wisdom I've received from the professionals over at the 30 day hair detox blog, hair enthusiasts here like yourselves and the trained hair analyst Rene over at komaza care! Why did that just sound like I just gave a speech for winning an Emmy Award, lol!?!

Attachments

• 20161214_101619.jpg
    20161214_101619.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 20161214_101656.jpg
    20161214_101656.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
  • 20161214_101753.jpg
    20161214_101753.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40

Evolving78

My hair is darker, more hydrated, more dense and and is growing and retaining at a normal rate! My ends are being chopped off over time so detangling is getting easier and easier. Take a look at my bangs! Once upon a time, I had to manipulate this area to hide all the spaces because it was soo thin. You can tell by my ends, see how thin they are...that was all the way up the strands before.

Somehow my left side won't let my twistout be great ...I'll be working on placement to get the same results as my right side.

I thank God for all the knowledge and wisdom I've received from the professionals over at the 30 day hair detox blog, hair enthusiasts here like yourselves and the trained hair analyst Rene over at komaza care! Why did that just sound like I just gave a speech for winning an Emmy Award, lol!?!
Your hair looks so hydrated! Lol love your twists!

LdyKamz

Lol! Yes! We don't need to be tempted! Get it out of our lives! I was watching videos about not needing a bunch of protein treatments and I know for a fact stylists don't just give a client one, Unless it is totally needed. Especially with natural hair. We need moisture. And most products will assist with giving us that balance. That's why we gotta find and stick with a line that has a great chemistry of what ingredients will work. I'm telling you my hair feels so much better. I probably could have stayed natural, since I wanted to heat style often, but due to the bleach and using certain products, I just couldn't get the moisture I needed.
I'm on the other side. I say keep it. I think you should have one protein treatment in your stash. Even as a low po natural my hair likes some protein every now and then. My hair retains moisture better after a good protein treatment. It does have to be the right protein.

It took me ages to figure out the right protein regimen for me. I've posted in several protein threads trying to get it right and was proud of myself when I did. I used to be of the mindset that I didn't need protein ever and then I ended up with gross stretchy hair. Komaza's protein strengthener (the old formula) was the first one I tried and I loved it. The new formula is more of a once a week light protein for me. Then I started buying more on the ground and let it go.

My most recent regimen had me using Nexxus Emergencee conditioner once a week for light protein and the hard treatment as needed. When I introduced Joico into my regimen I stopped the Nexxus because Joico works as a balancing conditioner for me. Perfect combo of moisture and protein and my hair is happy for it...most days. Lol

LdyKamz

Your hair is so shiny and twists looking juicy! Nice!
Girl, even with all your problems you'll be APL at the end of this challenge. Still can't get over my shock when I saw that blow dry pic in the other thread. Lol

Evolving78

Hey ladies! I gave myself a clear rinse yesterday! I used it on my DD too. It really helped smooth the cuticles down, helped with shine, gave the hair some slip, and protection. After flat ironing my hair (relaxed, or natural) my strands would still stick to each other, and I would have to use oil sheen to make sure the comb glided through my hair.
Well I didn't have to do that when I wrapped my hair at night.

Evolving78

Ok ladies, I looked all over to find some satin scrunchies in a B&M store. No such luck. So I'm gonna break down and make a couple. I got a black silk scarf that I'm gonna use. I just washed it. I got elastic and my DD's sewing machine. She is gonna help me.
Going back to bunning and roller setting is gonna get me over the hump.

LdyKamz

Deep conditioning now with Paul Mitchell Super Charged Moisturizer. I decided to apply my conditioner the way I used to like a relaxer. I was always able to see what shape my hair was in when I did this. And my hair is dry. By the time I got to the back of my hair it looked like there was no conditioner on the front. Dry under moisturized hair so I went back and added more. I put on a plastic bag, a plastic shower cap and one of my old winter hats. Didn't feel like pulling out my dryer. I'll stay like this while I straighten up the house maybe overnight. And I'll blow dry tomorrow.

faithVA

Thanks ladies.

^^^ I can't convey how happy I am to finally have a go to style. Even though I would love to be through with the SL challenge, at least I am finally at a good starting place where I'm not consistently struggling and walking around with ugly styles :yep:

faithVA

Just so I know for the future, it takes me 11 flat twists to get a decent flat twist out. I can do fewer in the front but it last a bit better with more.

Also a different product with more hold could probably help. After I use up this one I will try others. But I want the next one to also be glycerin free and to be light so it doesn't have build up.

I will compare every other month to see how many twists I can reduce it to. It's about 3 a section now. Maybe I can reduce it to 8 over the next few months.

Last edited:

Evolving78

Thanks ladies.

^^^ I can't convey how happy I am to finally have a go to style. Even though I would love to be through with the SL challenge, at least I am finally at a good starting place where I'm not consistently struggling and walking around with ugly styles :yep:
I start doing stupid stuff when I struggle with trying to find a go to style. And I'm not the person I used to be when it comes to trying different hairstyles. I wouldn't care if I wasn't interested in growing my hair out.
I gotta assess my rollers and see what will allow me to straighten my roots, then wear a bun. If I go too curly, I won't be able to pull it back neatly.

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Just so I know for the future, it takes me 11 flat twists to get a decent flat twist out. I can do fewer in the front but it last a bit better with more.

Also a different product with more hold could probably help. After I use up this one I will try others. But I want the next one to also be glycerin free and to be light so it doesn't have build up.

I will compare every other month to see how many twists I can reduce it to. It's about 3 a section now. Maybe I can reduce it to 8 over the next few months.

That's my goal after reaching SL or during the year; is to achieve flat twists and with only 8-10 twist. I have no doubt I'll meet that goal by June!

I hear Camille Rose has a cream gel thats pretty amazing for hold bit not a crunchy hold. I plan to try buy it this week.

ETA: It's called Aloe Whipped Butter.