2017- Steaming To Boost Moisture

CurlyMoo

Hi Ladies,

The beginning of a new year gives us an opportunity to set new goals. If you desire to retain moisture, increase length and reduce breakage you should join us. Steam treatments have many benefits and can help you better manage your new growth which results in easier detangling sessions with soft shiny hair.

This is the challenge for you!

The New Year is fast approaching don’t let it go by without realizing the many benefits of steaming your hair. I am ready to steam my way through the New Year. Will you join me?

To join please thank the OP and post the answers to the following:

1. How often you will steam?
2. What method are you using to steam?
3. What products will you steam with?

The only rule is to try to check in at least once monthly and share your progress with us. Progress pictures are encouraged but not required.

The benefits of steaming include:

1. Moisture, Moisture, Moisture!!
2. Increased Shine
3. Increased manageability of new growth
4. Softer hair
5. Less hair breakage
6. Decrease in dandruff caused by dry scalp
7. Easier detangling

I have tried to include everyone who actively participated in the 2016 challenge but please forgive me if I left anyone off. You are more than welcome to join us.

2017 Challengers:
@FollicleFanatic
@IDareT'sHair
@Alta Angel
@CodeRed
@SpeechieGirl
@Cattypus1
@SweetlyCurly
@Nightingale
@lushlady
@Nichelle_jb
@Aggie
@girlonfire
@cocomama
@athenat
@25Nona
@Misseyl
@ladybevy
@SimplyWhole
@MizzBFly
@L.Brown1114
@MileHighDiva
@ajargon02
@outspokenwallflower
@mzteaze
@Smiley79
@BlackRinse
@Daina
@jasmyne14
@HisBestFriend
@jlatr
@Honi
What are the results of the 2016 challenge?
Had you noticed more growth,long and healthier hair?

To join please thank the OP and post the answers to the following:

1. How often you will steam?
I haven't steamed yet, but will steam once or twice a week; depending on how it effects my hair.

2. What method are you using to steam?
Hand held Conair Steamer

3. What products will you steam with?
KeraCare moisturizing Conditioner for color treated hair
KeraCare Leave in
My oil mixture
Ovation Cell Therapy - Protein conditioner

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

I steam with a plastic bag! I put a water soaked towel in the microwave and then push out the water, and put the towel around my head, then put on a plastic bag. Then I sit under the dryer. I don't have a hard top steamer.

I also bought a hand held steamer. I use that to soften, relax and elongate my braids to have help with detangling. So I steamed 2x on Sunday. I enjoyed my hair session.
When you steam how do you wear your hair?
In braids or loose?

CurlyMoo

Steamed again with babassu & cammile oil. Not sure if my hair likes this at this point. It makes my ends super tangled so I left it in twists. Maybe I should try with a conditioner next instead if oils. I don't have a leave in that I like right now so maybe I'll try to DC with it. Has anyone noticed a big difference between steaming with DC vs heat cap?
Have you tried KereCare leave in?

PR0MISE44

In braids under the soft top bonnet. With the handheld steamer, I start out with braids. After steaming a braid, I unravel it, finger detangle it and turn it into a twist, to prepare my hair to be washed.

I'm sorry if I missed this somewhere- but how long are you steaming with the hand held? You inspired me to get one but my tank only lasts 10 mins... whereas I noticed others sit under a steamer for 30m+.

After hand held and twisting, do you move straight to shampoo or give hair time to 'chill'?

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I'm sorry if I missed this somewhere- but how long are you steaming with the hand held? You inspired me to get one but my tank only lasts 10 mins... whereas I noticed others sit under a steamer for 30m+.

After hand held and twisting, do you move straight to shampoo or give hair time to 'chill'?

Hi @PR0MISE44,
You didn't miss anything anywhere! Your tank lasts 10 minutes?! :eek: Wow, mine lasts for about 2 braids and then it's dry and screaming for water. I do two (2) types of steaming: hand held light steaming and sitting under a dryer/fake steamer for heavy duty steaming.

I use the hand held steamer on dry, crunchy old braids that I need to undo before I start my wash process. So, I might use it 2 minutes on each of my 8 braids. That's about 16 to 20 minutes. Then I twist the braids and go to shampooing! My hair has had a bit of time to "chill" after the hand held steamer session because I move sloth slow. It is cool to the touch by the time I move on to shampooing and it has started to partially dry, too.

After shampooing I work some oil through my hair but do not rinse it out. Then I put on my deep conditioner.

NOW, this is when I sit under my soft bonnet dryer and I jerry-rig the soft bonnet to do more steaming. I place a small sized towel in some water and put it in the microwave. I take it the out of the microwave and press out the water by squishing it with a bowl. Then, I wrap that towel around my head, over my deep conditioner and then put on a plastic bag over that, then the soft bonnet.

I sit under that for 15 to 30 minutes. In essence, I am steaming 2x in my process. It's with my soft-bonnet/fake steamer that I sit for the longest time. I hope this helps. If it is not clear, please do not hesitate to let me know so that I can further clarify the information for you.

PR0MISE44

Hi @PR0MISE44,
You didn't miss anything anywhere! Your tank lasts 10 minutes?! :eek: Wow, mine lasts for about 2 braids and then it's dry and screaming for water. I do two (2) types of steaming: hand held light steaming and sitting under a dryer/fake steamer for heavy duty steaming.

I use the hand held steamer on dry, crunchy old braids that I need to undo before I start my wash process. So, I might use it 2 minutes on each of my 8 braids. That's about 16 to 20 minutes. Then I twist the braids and go to shampooing! My hair has had a bit of time to "chill" after the hand held steamer session because I move sloth slow. It is cool to the touch by the time I move on to shampooing and it has started to partially dry, too.

After shampooing I work some oil through my hair but do not rinse it out. Then I put on my deep conditioner.

NOW, this is when I sit under my soft bonnet dryer and I jerry-rig the soft bonnet to do more steaming. I place a small sized towel in some water and put it in the microwave. I take it the out of the microwave and press out the water by squishing it with a bowl. Then, I wrap that towel around my head, over my deep conditioner and then put on a plastic bag over that, then the soft bonnet.

I sit under that for 15 to 30 minutes. In essence, I am steaming 2x in my process. It's with my soft-bonnet/fake steamer that I sit for the longest time. I hope this helps. If it is not clear, please do not hesitate to let me know so that I can further clarify the information for you.

Thank you SO much for the detail!!

So the hand held is mostly for prep and the hood is where the real dc comes in?

I'm going to try your second method now as well. Is it important to get the towel super hot, or is warm okay? Worried about burns.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Thank you SO much for the detail!!

So the hand held is mostly for prep and the hood is where the real dc comes in?

I'm going to try your second method now as well. Is it important to get the towel super hot, or is warm okay? Worried about burns.

Fold the towel up first. Then, place it in a bowl. Cover it with water and put in the microwave. Take the bowl out the microwave and pour the water and towel into the sink. Smash the bowl into the towel to get out excess water without touching it. Let it rest there for a few seconds. Pick up the towel by the corner and shake it out for about 10 to 20 seconds. Touch it quickly with your hand. When it is no longer too hot to handle, but still somewhat hot, tap it to the side of your head. If it is bearable heat, wrap it around your head.

PR0MISE44

Fold the towel up first. Then, place it in a bowl. Cover it with water and put in the microwave. Take the bowl out the microwave and pour the water and towel into the sink. Smash the bowl into the towel to get out excess water without touching it. Let it rest there for a few seconds. Pick up the towel by the corner and shake it out for about 10 to 20 seconds. Touch it quickly with your hand. When it is no longer too hot to handle, but still somewhat hot, tap it to the side of your head. If it is bearable heat, wrap it around your head.

Thank you, burnt the crap out of myself first time because I wasn't thinking. Your posting was timely and helpful!!!

NJ11

I missed one week steaming in January but got it in the other 3 weeks.

Last weekend I steamed with oil. So now I tried a protein DC, a moisturizing DC and an oil prepoo.

I *think* I liked steaming with the DCs (either) better than with oil BUT - I think I may have skipped the DC last week (sad that I can't remember for sure) so it might not be that steaming with the oil was less nice than steaming with a DC but that I didn't DC last week...if that makes sense.

I really have enjoyed steaming in general so I will aim for doing it weekly (I initially said I would do it ~every other week) unless time doesn't permit it.

DST1913

For those that have been steaming for a year or so. What changes have you noticed? Growth? Softness? What? Ive been steaming for maybe 3 monthsm havent noticed any changes yet. But not sure what I was expecting. Another topic but the same with AVJ. Havent noticed anything. But again not sure what I was expecting. I just see a lot of ppl that do it. Maybe I need to stop jumping on bandwagons. Lol

PR0MISE44

For those that have been steaming for a year or so. What changes have you noticed? Growth? Softness? What? Ive been steaming for maybe 3 monthsm havent noticed any changes yet. But not sure what I was expecting. Another topic but the same with AVJ. Havent noticed anything. But again not sure what I was expecting. I just see a lot of ppl that do it. Maybe I need to stop jumping on bandwagons. Lol

My moisture retention, shine, ease of detangling have improved dramatically since steaming and using AVJ. They would have to pry AVJ out of my cold, dead hands. Are you using a sealer that works for you?

DST1913

My moisture retention, shine, ease of detangling have improved dramatically since steaming and using AVJ. They would have to pry AVJ out of my cold, dead hands. Are you using a sealer that works for you?

Yes I have a great sealer. I think maybe its that if I wash and condition with the right products I have no issues with tangles and my hair is really moisturized with the products I use for the LOC method. I'm not going to give up steaming but once my bottle of AVJ is gone, I won't repurchase.

PR0MISE44

Yes I have a great sealer. I think maybe its that if I wash and condition with the right products I have no issues with tangles and my hair is really moisturized with the products I use for the LOC method. I'm not going to give up steaming but once my bottle of AVJ is gone, I won't repurchase.

Sounds like what you're doing works for you!

PR0MISE44

Anyone who uses a hand steamer- do you take any caution with how close you let the steamer to your stands?

I've been putting it a few inches away. Just enough where my 'free' hand feels a tolerable level of heat as I'm detangling. I place the steamer directly on matted and knotted hair.

Rozlewis

I have been steaming for over a year and I noticed better manageability because my hair was softer, it retained moisture longer and had a great shine. Overall it looked healthier. Now I am not sure I can attribute all of that to steaming because I have implemented a lot of healthy hair practices but the steaming has definitely helped with the moisture. My hair is in much better shape now so I don't steam as much as I used to.