2017- Steaming To Boost Moisture

Rozlewis

Hi Ladies,

The beginning of a new year gives us an opportunity to set new goals. If you desire to retain moisture, increase length and reduce breakage you should join us. Steam treatments have many benefits and can help you better manage your new growth which results in easier detangling sessions with soft shiny hair.

This is the challenge for you!

The New Year is fast approaching don’t let it go by without realizing the many benefits of steaming your hair. I am ready to steam my way through the New Year. Will you join me?

To join please thank the OP and post the answers to the following:

1. How often you will steam?
2. What method are you using to steam?
3. What products will you steam with?

The only rule is to try to check in at least once monthly and share your progress with us. Progress pictures are encouraged but not required.

The benefits of steaming include:

1. Moisture, Moisture, Moisture!!
2. Increased Shine
3. Increased manageability of new growth
4. Softer hair
5. Less hair breakage
6. Decrease in dandruff caused by dry scalp
7. Easier detangling

I have tried to include everyone who actively participated in the 2016 challenge but please forgive me if I left anyone off. You are more than welcome to join us.

2017 Challengers:
@FollicleFanatic
@IDareT'sHair
@Alta Angel
@CodeRed
@SpeechieGirl
@Cattypus1
@SweetlyCurly
@Nightingale
@lushlady
@Nichelle_jb
@Aggie
@girlonfire
@cocomama
@athenat
@25Nona
@Misseyl
@ladybevy
@SimplyWhole
@MizzBFly
@L.Brown1114
@MileHighDiva
@ajargon02
@outspokenwallflower
@mzteaze
@Smiley79
@BlackRinse
@Daina
@jasmyne14
@HisBestFriend
@jlatr
@Honi

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
Im in, I was just putting my plan together to begin my 6 month hair boot camp and one of the things I want to include is the steaming!!!
I already bought a steamer also!

1. How often you will steam? I will be steaming 2 times a month. I will also steam when my hair feels dry or just needs more moisture
2. What methodare you using to steam? I have a sit under steamer. I will also try to use distilled water
3. What products will you steam with? At least 2 times a month I will do a deep conditioning with steaming. At least 20mins each time.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
@Rozlewis ,

I am joining the 2017- Steaming to Boost Moisture Challenge!

1. How often you will steam? (1x per week)
I steam every week. I steam my hair when I deep condition it as part of my regular haircare process.

2. What method are you using to steam? (Steamed towel from microwave)
I use a method I picked up from a member her called zzirngj. I fold a small towel and put it in a bowl with water and microwave it. Then, I push out the excess water with the bowl and place that steamed towel around my conditioner soaked hair. I modified the process by placing aluminum foil over the towel to hold in the heat as well as putting on an additional plastic cap and a aluminum type heating cap I bought from the beauty supply. Then, I sit under my soft bonnet dryer for 30 minutes under medium heat.

3. What products will you steam with? (homemade, greasy coconut milk conditioner)
I use a conditioner that I make from scratch. I've discovered that commercial products alone are not enough for my hair. Sometimes I place store bought conditioners on top of my home made mix to add slip.

Daina

@Rozlewis, thanks for starting the new challenge I'm in! Steaming has helped me to retain moisture and it's also a quick and easy way to detangle.

1. I will steam 2x per month.
2. I have a standing steamer, as well as a QRedew that I use to help with detangling or to refresh a WnG.
3. I typically steam with DC's and oils

ladybee1922

I would like to join you Ladies on this challenge @Rozlewis, Thank you.

1. How often you will steam? 2-4 times a month especially during the dry winter months.
2. What method are you using to steam? My PRO Stand Steamer.
3. What products will you steam with? Oils and conditioners (store masks and DIY). Sometimes I go under "as is" or just to relax with essential oil added.
:drunk:

Rozlewis

Im in, I was just putting my plan together to begin my 6 month hair boot camp and one of the things I want to include is the steaming!!!
I already bought a steamer also!

1. How often you will steam? I will be steaming 2 times a month. I will also steam when my hair feels dry or just needs more moisture
2. What methodare you using to steam? I have a sit under steamer. I will also try to use distilled water
3. What products will you steam with? At least 2 times a month I will do a deep conditioning with steaming. At least 20mins each time.

Glad to have you steaming with us! I can't wait to hear how your hair is benefiting from regular steaming.

Rozlewis

@Rozlewis ,

I am joining the 2017- Steaming to Boost Moisture Challenge!

1. How often you will steam? (1x per week)
I steam every week. I steam my hair when I deep condition it as part of my regular haircare process.

2. What method are you using to steam? (Steamed towel from microwave)
I use a method I picked up from a member her called zzirngj. I fold a small towel and put it in a bowl with water and microwave it. Then, I push out the excess water with the bowl and place that steamed towel around my conditioner soaked hair. I modified the process by placing aluminum foil over the towel to hold in the heat as well as putting on an additional plastic cap and a aluminum type heating cap I bought from the beauty supply. Then, I sit under my soft bonnet dryer for 30 minutes under medium heat.

3. What products will you steam with? (homemade, greasy coconut milk conditioner)
I use a conditioner that I make from scratch. I've discovered that commercial products alone are not enough for my hair. Sometimes I place store bought conditioners on top of my home made mix to add slip.

@Chicoro

Welcome to the challenge!
I am excited to learn from you during this challenge.

Rozlewis

I got a secura steamer as a gift & I love it!

I will steam once a week with either Shea moisture 10 n 1 superfruit hair mask or obia babbasu hair mask.

I have both of those conditioners but have not used them yet.
I can't wait to hear how they work for you and how steaming helps you reach your goals.

Rozlewis

I would like to join you Ladies on this challenge @Rozlewis, Thank you.

1. How often you will steam? 2-4 times a month especially during the dry winter months.
2. What method are you using to steam? My PRO Stand Steamer.
3. What products will you steam with? Oils and conditioners (store masks and DIY). Sometimes I go under "as is" or just to relax with essential oil added.
:drunk:

I agree, steaming is very relaxing. Also, I hope you don't mind sharing some of your DIY recipes with us.

frizzy

Hi ladies. I'm not joining the challenge this time but @Chicoro post reminded me of how I used to steam before I purchased a steamer or still do when I'm away from home.

I wet a turbie towel and put it in a plastic grocery bag and microwave until hot. Sometimes I add wet a washcloth to put on my dry crown area then wrap all my hair with the turbie towel, put on a plastic cap or two and sit under a soft bonnet dryer.

It works like a charm, happy steaming!

ETA- Next time I do this method I will try it with the aluminum foil, that sounds genius!

Chicoro

Hi ladies. I'm not joining the challenge this time but @Chicoro post reminded me of how I used to steam before I purchased a steamer or still do when I'm away from home.

I wet a turbie towel and put it in a plastic grocery bag and microwave until hot. Sometimes I add wet a washcloth to put on my dry crown area then wrap all my hair with the turbie towel, put on a plastic cap or two and sit under a soft bonnet dryer.

It works like a charm, happy steaming!

ETA- Next time I do this method I will try it with the aluminum foil, that sounds genius!

@frizzy,

This is what is done to speed up the reaction when tinting and dyeing hair! I figured I want that conditioner to go deep inside the hair, right? Foil keeps food hot and moist on the inside and protects it from getting burned on the outside! I've not gotten any 'cooked' hair or heat damage.

Chicoro

I have some pictures.

This picture is with conditioner before I use the steamed towel and aluminum foil.
foil hair 1.JPG

This next picture is after I have been under the steam and dryer. It is still white but the conditioner has soaked in a lot. I use literally 1 cup of product on my head so that's a lot to absorb. The conditioner, steam, foil and heat from the dryer make my hair buttery soft.
foil hair 2.JPG

This is the comb out. The steam liquifies the greasiness in my DIY coconut conditioner. But, I still like to add a cheap, store bought conditioner to the mix to give me more slip.
foil hair 4.JPG

Rinsed out, naked hair after steaming with absolutely no product in it. Clean and fluffy. My favorite part of wash day is steaming my hair.
foil hair 3.JPG

Nichelle_jb

So I did a hot oil treatment using coconut oil as a pre-poo. I got under the steamer for 20 minutes for the pre-p00. After washing I followed up with Jakeala High Hops Beer Conditioner with Avocado oil on top under the steamer for 30 minutes.

Nichelle_jb

NJ11

My mother got me a steamer for Christmas so I *have* to join this challenge!

I haven't steamed before so I don't have real answers to the OP questions, but...

1. How often you will steam?
  • Based on the responses here and what my mother said she does I think I will start with "twice a month" and adjust from there.
2. What method are you using to steam?
  • My stand up steamer.
3. What products will you steam with?
  • Oils and conditioners.

Daina

I have some pictures.

This picture is with conditioner before I use the steamed towel and aluminum foil.
View attachment 384061

This next picture is after I have been under the steam and dryer. It is still white but the conditioner has soaked in a lot. I use literally 1 cup of product on my head so that's a lot to absorb. The conditioner, steam, foil and heat from the dryer make my hair buttery soft.
View attachment 384065

This is the comb out. The steam liquifies the greasiness in my DIY coconut conditioner. But, I still like to add a cheap, store bought conditioner to the mix to give me more slip.
View attachment 384073

Rinsed out, naked hair after steaming with absolutely no product in it. Clean and fluffy. My favorite part of wash day is steaming my hair.
View attachment 384079

@Chicoro, your curls are beautiful and look very juicy!