2017- Steaming To Boost Moisture

Nichelle_jb

I tried to steamed my hair yesterday after doing a protein treatment. Unfortunately, my hood on my steamer has developed a crack (I don't know how) and the steamed escaped. I've ordered a new Full-size steamer from Ebay for $62.99 plus free shipping. It should be here week after next.

Flourishnikov

Somewhere Flourishing...
I seem to have some difficulty getting to my hair every week to wash. These two week sessions are making the hair struggle unnecessarily more difficult.

I did a double steam. I first steamed after I put on my coconut milk conditioner that I make. I sat under the dryer for about 15 minutes. The conditioner just melted into my hair. I could feel my hair was relaxed and and elongated.

After I rinsed my hair, I used my hand held steamer to put directly on my matted braids. I've learned that my hair tends to unravel long hairs during the week. Those long hairs are what get tangled around my braid and make those monster tangles. I am so surprised that I just learned this about my hair in 2017!

I steamed each braid and unbraided. I was able to get those braids undone with less breakage and shedding. Then, after I applied my leave in protein mix and my shea butter mix, I steamed some of the braids again with the handheld steamer. That just melted in my shea butter mix. I loved it. Then I braided everything and put my hair back into bantu knots.

It was a very, very long session. I think if I do my hair every week on a regular basis, it will shorten the time. I think I am saving time by waiting until the perfect time, which is happening every 2 weeks. But, by documenting this out, I can clearly see I am doing myself NO FAVORS. It took my 4 hours to do my hair : 1 hour for wash/Aphogee Hard Protein/ Deep Conditioning with Steam/Leave-In/ Rebraiding!

Currently wigging it with cornrolls as a protective style. I know my hair is not getting enough moisture cuz lazy. :look: Would it be feasibel to just sit under a steamer with braids in tact and my hair still benefit from steaming? or do you think the individual braids/take down method works better?

Flourishnikov

Somewhere Flourishing...
One more question regarding steamers...Has anyone opted to use a steamer used for clothes? Im not sold on the amazon reviews for standing nor handheld steamers (price, burns from hot water, etc.). One reveiwer suggested just getting a standard steamer for clothes instead. Thoughts?

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Currently wigging it with cornrolls as a protective style. I know my hair is not getting enough moisture cuz lazy. :look: Would it be feasibel to just sit under a steamer with braids in tact and my hair still benefit from steaming? or do you think the individual braids/take down method works better?

I say try it both ways and see which one works for you!

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
One more question regarding steamers...Has anyone opted to use a steamer used for clothes? Im not sold on the amazon reviews for standing nor handheld steamers (price, burns from hot water, etc.). One reveiwer suggested just getting a standard steamer for clothes instead. Thoughts?

https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...lbone-length-hair.807071/page-2#post-23534903

I bought a clothes steamer and January 2017. See the link above to see my thoughts and the picture of it!

tatiana001191

I've just started steaming , I bought a cheap steamer off of EBay for 5 dollars . If I stick to a good protein/ moisture balance regimen do you think it's okay to steam every other day ?

LushLox

I've just started steaming , I bought a cheap steamer off of EBay for 5 dollars . If I stick to a good protein/ moisture balance regimen do you think it's okay to steam every other day ?

Personally I think that would be far too much moisture, you're highly likely to get moisture overload. It is such an excellent way to get moisture into the hair but it's easy to over do it. I wouldn't steam for any more than 30 minutes per week maximum. But that's just me personally, other people may need a bit more.

tatiana001191

Personally I think that would be far too much moisture, you're highly likely to get moisture overload. It is such an excellent way to get moisture into the hair but it's easy to over do it. I wouldn't steam for any more than 30 minutes per week maximum. But that's just me personally, other people may need a bit more.

Thanks for responding, I had to stop because my hair was getting mushy and very stretchy. I will take your advice and do it no more than 30 minutes a week.