2017 Wig Challenge

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
I have a u part wig and the small combs inside hurt. I might have them taken out. Are the elastic bands going across the back of the head only for lace wigs?
Yes. Like in this video:

Disclaimer: I've never actually watched the video, it was just the first result for "elastic band method wigs".

I never use the combs. I just cut them out.

LdyKamz

Has anyone ordered from Hairvivi or WowAfrican. I'm finally going to take the plunge and buy one. And those 2 companies look the best to me because they seem to have preplucked hairlines. I'm a novice so plucking and dying knots aint gonna workout for me. I'm not trying to destroy a $200 wig straight out the gate. Any help?

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Wig season is upon me in my town. The temperature has dropped and I am already feeling cold when I go outside during the day.

Based on a suggestion from you ladies, I washed my synthetic wig with fabric softener. I am quite happy with the results, too. The wig came out shiny and soft and it smells lovely. The only change I noticed is that the hair is more elongated. The wig 'hangs' longer. It still looks cute, though.

I have had this wig since Fall 2016. I thought it would last about 3 months. I am so surprised it is almost a year old. The lady at the store told me to only run my fingers through it to detangle it. That's what I did for the most part. When I first got that wig, I went and bought 2 more of the same wig so I could have them for the future. It looks like I am going to get at least another year's wear out of this wig before I have to start using the new one.

This summer, I perfected my plait/braid style to the point where I enjoy wearing my hair out in the plaits and keep them moist. My wig season is going to be from September to April, which is about 8 months.

If I can get 4 inches between now and April 2018, I would be well BELOW tailbone length. I am OBSESSED with reaching tailbone length with a routine that purposely aims for tailbone length.

I love wearing wigs. I feel like a beautiful, glamorous star!

Last edited:

gforceroy

Wig season is upon me in my town. The temperature has dropped and I am already feeling cold when I go outside during the day.

Based on a suggestion from you ladies, I washed my synthetic wig with fabric softener. I am quite happy with the results, too. The wig came out shiny and soft and it smells lovely. The only change I noticed is that the hair is more elongated. The wig 'hangs' longer. It still looks cute, though.

I have had this wig since Fall 2016. I thought it would last about 3 months. I am so surprised it is almost a year old. The lady at the store told me to only run my fingers through it to detangle it. That's what I did for the most part. When I first got that wig, I went and bought 2 more of the same wig so I could have them for the future. It looks like I am going to get at least another year's wear out of this wig before I have to start using the new one.

This summer, I perfected my plait/braid style to the point where I enjoy wearing my hair out in the plaits and keep them moist. My wig season is going to be from September to April, which is about 8 months.

If I can get 4 inches between now and April 2018, I would be well BELOW tailbone length. I am OBSESSED with reaching tailbone length with a routine that purposely aims for tailbone length.

Wow! I never got a synthetic wig to last that long!

Also is your braid pattern in your fotki? Your hair is WAYYYY longer than mine but I might need to change what I do under my wigs in the next year lol

Chicoro

Hey @gforceroy ,

https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/12-inches-in-12-months-2017.804951/page-9#post-23993757

post # 259 in the 2017 12 inches in 12 months challenge is where I posted photos.

I just do 8 plaits/braids. Then I pull them back into one low ponytail right above the nape of my neck, and put on a wig cap. It works out great!

Also, I don't wear my wig(s) every day, all day. I like to wear it when I go outside to do errands. When I get home, I pull it off. So I might have it on at most, 4 hours per day.

Chicoro

This makes a big difference. I did mine in a way where the lace on my 360 wig lays flat so I don't have to use wig tape or glue (gel) anymore and its a time saver!

I have an elastic band in my wig, too. It makes the wig lay flat, tight and flush, right at the hairline. I don't worry about my wig loosening up or feeling like it's popping off anymore with every facial expression I make or step I take. It used to feel my wig sliding back ever so lightly before I installed the elastic band. Now, it is snug and I don't think about my wig once I secure it on my head. I don't need glue anymore either. It's amazing. But, I still put a little glue on the hairline because I like the way it looks.

I think I am just too cute now. I walk down the street turning my head and flicking 'my hair' left to right, switching while I walk down the street. I'm in my own little world.

Chicoro

I wore my wig for the first time since washing it with fabric softener. It was shiny but not in a 'wiggy' way. It still looks fake, don't get me wrong, but the shine imparted by the fabric softener was kind of a 'deep down' sheen. It's hard to explain. Th hair looked silky and soft. It held such a beautiful scent as well. When I walked, it just bounced and moved like real hair. I felt like I was the star of a shampoo commercial! Storefront glass and all reflective surfaces created an opportunity for me to look at that wig while on my head. Instead of standing in my bathroom playing in the mirror, I literally walked over town playing in all the mirrors or mirror like surfaces that I encountered. I'm SOLD on using fabric softener on my wigs! The results were amazing for me and my little wig, which has never been prettier or softer!

Chicoro

Anyone started 'wig' season, yet?

I went to one of the Black owned beauty supplies store in town. They have an entire showroom dedicated to wigs. I wanted to buy 4 really pretty wigs that I saw in there. I ended up buying nothing.

Britt

I just love your enthusiasm and zeal over wearing wigs :lol: ! This bolded cracked me up, I hope to feel this way when I start to wear mine.

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress

I went to one of the Black owned beauty supplies store in town. They have an entire showroom dedicated to wigs. I wanted to buy 4 really pretty wigs that I saw in there. I ended up buying nothing.
I wear wigs all year round so it's always wig season for me. :)

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
Do you feel hot in the summer time with them on? Do you wear a full one?
Honestly, it depends on the wig. I always wear full wigs. Over the summer I do wigs that are shorter or that have a lighter density. Over the course of the summer I did
-Model Model Demi, but I flat ironed the curls out so it was a little bit wavy
- Passion Meadow, and Bright Meadow, both also by Model Model
-Freetress Jannie, which I actually wore to the beach twice

Some wigs that I would never ever wear in the summertime are Freetress Flora, which is big and poofy and curly, or It's A Wig Aku, which even though it's short has a lot of density.

trclemons

My wig season is October to June, but I will end it in April next year because I want to wear my hair for my graduation in May. I still have the same 24 wigs that I will rotate every 2 weeks, but I would like to add a few new wigs if I find some that really catch my eye.

beauti

I ordered outre Jada in the color dr30, can't wait for her to arrive. In the meantime I need to figure out how to get this hair braided in a bee hive or something.

Chicoro

My wig season is October to June, but I will end it in April next year because I want to wear my hair for my graduation in May. I still have the same 24 wigs that I will rotate every 2 weeks, but I would like to add a few new wigs if I find some that really catch my eye.

Wait!

What?!! You are graduating? Congratulations!!!!!!!! :clap::dance7:

Be sure to take a photo of the back of your head so we can see that hair! Don't wear anything dark, we need the contrast of something light against the hair. :drunk:;)

24:lots: wigs??? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Are you SERIOUS?!!!!!!!!! Look how you just casually typed these two things like it's something everybody does and has: graduation and 24 wigs!

Amazing! Do you have a special room or 'show room' for your wigs? I'd like to see a :click:picture :flahssssss: of all that!

I'm waiting for YOUR reveal/length check in December 2017. This is going to be good. But, that's okay, I can wait until May 2018, too. That's no problem either.

You can rush no hair before its time!

trclemons

The ends of my wig were getting ratty so I cut them off. Better the wig than my own hair. I think I can hold out until the end of the year to buy a new one.

Some days I want to scream from boredom. Other days I'm glad for the predictability of it all.
I bought a lot of wigs in different styles and colors to help avoid the boredom & predictability. Try that and see if it helps.

King of Sorrow

I bought a lot of wigs in different styles and colors to help avoid the boredom & predictability. Try that and see if it helps.

I'm going to try out color with my next wig.

I've considered different styles but I want a consistent look for work. It's going to take some thought and planning to find different wigs that look like the same head of hair styled differently.

Chicoro

DISCLAIMER:
This is not a wig. (She does have clip ins she made but her hair is gorgeous before she puts them in.)
But this lady's naturally, straightened hair is laid so beautifully, it looks like a wig.

She's used the EBIN 24 Hour Edge Tamer to lay her edges. I love, love, love this product! It works best when you DON'T wet your edges with water. I 'found' this while in the US, as it was recommended to me by the girl working in the beauty supply. I put on my mother's edges. It is reminiscent of how 'Let's Jam' used to lay down edges that looked sleek and wet. But that old product used to eat up and break off hair.

alex114

Hey ya'll! I'm also wigging it year round, and I hope to be close to or at MBL by this December! I bought two pretty expensive lace wigs from Pink Lace that I was using for grad school and my job at a law firm this summer, and this is one of them from last week:

Attachments

• IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 58

Chicoro

@Chicoro :blush::blush: such a big compliment coming from someone with such beautiful natural hair! Thanks!

You are welcome! Thank you for the compliment as well. Congratulations on having secured your summer internship! That's not an easy task to do. Good luck to you as you move toward completion in graduate school. I look forward to hearing about your graduation and seeing your gorgeous hair on your special day. Keep going!