2017 Wig Challenge

Pygmy_puff

Has anyone tried lining the inside of their wigs with satin? I saw Naptural85 do it a long time ago. I was thinking about doing it to my U-part, but I'm concerned it might not be "breathable" enough...

trclemons

I am officially back in the wig game. It's still kind of hot in Florida, so I'll probably sport short dos this month.

For the next 10 days, I'll be sporting Vivica Fox's Adaya in 4/30. Although I already have 24 wigs, this is one of the 5 new wigs I purchased from Sam's Beauty. I will have to line them all up and post a picture. :click::click::click:

upload_2017-10-1_21-40-1.png

trclemons

I'm going to try out color with my next wig.

I've considered different styles but I want a consistent look for work. It's going to take some thought and planning to find different wigs that look like the same head of hair styled differently.
I guess I don't really care about consistency. I involved my coworkers from the beginning of my wig journey to prepare them for the various changes. They know my schedule for when I switch to a new wig and they come to my cubicle to see what I'm wearing and what her name is. They even try to get me to wear their favorite wig(s) more often. And they know that during the Summer months, I wear my natural hair out and I call her Lola because whatever Lola wants Lola gets. So, I made it a fun process for them in order to make it easier for me to maintain a lifestyle of variety without throwing them into a total culture shock. But this process probably wouldn't be successful in every work environment. :perplexed:

trclemons

Wait!

What?!! You are graduating? Congratulations!!!!!!!! :clap::dance7:

Be sure to take a photo of the back of your head so we can see that hair! Don't wear anything dark, we need the contrast of something light against the hair. :drunk:;)

24:lots: wigs??? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Are you SERIOUS?!!!!!!!!! Look how you just casually typed these two things like it's something everybody does and has: graduation and 24 wigs!

Amazing! Do you have a special room or 'show room' for your wigs? I'd like to see a :click:picture :flahssssss: of all that!

I'm waiting for YOUR reveal/length check in December 2017. This is going to be good. But, that's okay, I can wait until May 2018, too. That's no problem either.

You can rush no hair before its time!
Here are all the girls.....The 5 new ones are all on the 1st row.
upload_2017-10-1_23-12-48.png

King of Sorrow

I guess I don't really care about consistency. I involved my coworkers from the beginning of my wig journey to prepare them for the various changes. They know my schedule for when I switch to a new wig and they come to my cubicle to see what I'm wearing and what her name is. They even try to get me to wear their favorite wig(s) more often. And they know that during the Summer months, I wear my natural hair out and I call her Lola because whatever Lola wants Lola gets. So, I made it a fun process for them in order to make it easier for me to maintain a lifestyle of variety without throwing them into a total culture shock. But this process probably wouldn't be successful in every work environment. :perplexed:

See, I don't like people up in my business like that. Asking me about my hair and telling me about which one is their favorite wig or "Oh, I see you are wearing ____" or "you should wear ___ again." That would get old for me real fast. I know my temperament. :lachen:I'm trying to stay employed. Since cutting my wig shorter no one has said anything. That's how I like it. The only time my hair needs to be a topic of conversation, is when I'm rocking it in its natural state :afro: and nowadays that usually means I'm looking for some attention. :gorgeous:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
@trlclemons,
Thanks for staging the wigs in the hallway and thanks for taking and posting the picture! That was pure joy personified when I saw the photo!

I tried to wear my go-to wig two days ago, on Saturday, and it gave me a headache. I don't know if my head got bigger or what! I think the hair styled underneath needed to be better adjusted to accommodate the wig.

I got me some new make-up, too?! I'm going to put on another one today.

GGsKin

I was gifted my first human hair wig, but I hate the color. Tips on dyeing a wig?

If you have a wig block or one of those polystyrene heads, pin the wig to that before starting.

Work in very small sections. Use an applicator brush or toothbrush to get as close to roots as posssibe (avoiding lace if there is any).

If going lighter, check the development of the colour regularly.

Wash the wig on the polystyrene wig head for more control.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
This thread is so educational, encouraging, helpful, and fun!!!

Beautiful, beautiful looks, ladies!

I'm a lurker. My issue is that I can only wear SUPER thin (i.e., not dense) wigs, else the wig on me looks big in a wiggy way. I don't why! Even the slightest waviness in the thinnest wig and BAM!: My hair and head look large. :lachen:

The reason I've begun again to wear wigs is 3-fold:
  1. It permits me to break up wash day: I can chunky twist out of the shower and slap on a processing cap, wig cap, and wig. This allows my hair to GHE. It also frees my spirit to relax on wash day, knowing I don't have to race against time to ensure I complete everything PLUS styling. That freedom has been REALLY key to my increased finger detangling, careful handling of my hair, and not ponytailing my wash and go (which results in tangles) and instead keeping my hair stretched via chunky twists.
  2. It vastly increases the likelihood that I keep my hair stretched and thus freer of tangles all week: This because it ensures I have time on wash day to stretch my hair via quick chunky twisting, since that is quick to do if the hair need not be neat/styled but simply put under a wig. All of this means less handling/brushing due to less need to detangle!
  3. It vastly increases the likelihood that I GHE.
I just got two new wigs recently. The straight one looks less wiggy on than does the slightly wavy one, which is very thin but looks large on my head (as I discussed above). The wavy one is also quite, quite shiny. I have tried flour and dry shampoo. They helped, but I think I'm going to go in with vinegar, as a previous wig challenge post advises.

(photos enlarge)

WP_20171010_013 (2).jpg WP_20171012_011.jpg WP_20171012_016.jpg WP_20171012_017.jpg

FemmeFatale

So I need to give my hair a break from installs and I have a wedding at the end of the month and this wig needs to look phenomenal. Can someone please refer to where I can get a high quality lace front wig? I'm soooo scared and I don't really trust youtubers.

Chicoro

So I need to give my hair a break from installs and I have a wedding at the end of the month and this wig needs to look phenomenal. Can someone please refer to where I can get a high quality lace front wig? I'm soooo scared and I don't really trust youtubers.

I don't know because I only wear cheap, synthetic, lace front wigs. Someone's bound to come and help you, though! Good luck!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy ,

View attachment 413507 View attachment 413509 View attachment 413511 View attachment 413513

I don't see a big head. The wig fits your face. In fact you look quite dainty and feminine. I think you look cute in your wig.

Thanks so much! The feedback helps: It feels strange wearing fake hair. I'm going to let it work for my retention, though. :smile:

You were DOING it in that red wig!

For some reason completely straight wigs look okay. But with even the slightest texture -- like the one on the mannequin -- my head and hair look huge and so it screams "WIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGG!" LOL. I have no idea why!

Once I twist my hair again, I'll wear that pictured wavy one for the first time and snap a picture.

Chicoro

Thanks so much! The feedback helps: It feels strange wearing fake hair. I'm going to let it work for my retention, though. :smile:

For some reason completely straight wigs look okay. But with even the slightest texture -- like the one on the mannequin -- my head and hair look huge and so it screams "WIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGG!" LOL. I have no idea why!

Once I twist my hair again, I'll wear that pictured wavy one for the first time and snap a picture.

Ahm...most of my wigs scream, "Wig!" But I don't care. I like to wear head wraps, too.
This one gentlemen who owns a small bar in my neighborhood said to me, "Take that wrap off your head and let your hair hang loose like you had it the other day."
I was like, "That's a wig."
He said, "I don't care [it looked good to me].

You aren't trying to be a double agent who must move undetected between country borders, or else you'll lose your life. Wigs aren't disguises. Most wigs look wiggy, especially in person. It takes practice , skills and confidence to make them look like real hair. But even with all that, it can be hit or miss.

Just enjoy yourself and have fun while you are protecting your hair. Count your blessings that you don't HAVE to wear a wig because you are completely bald. That situation is a reality for MANY women!

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Ahm...most of my wigs scream, "Wig!" But I don't care. I like to wear head wraps, too.
This one gentlemen who owns a small bar in my neighborhood said to me, "Take that wrap off your head and let your hair hang loose like you had it the other day."

You aren't trying to be a double agent who must move undetected between country borders, or else you'll lose your life.
Wigs aren't disguises. Most wigs look wiggy, especially in person.

:lachen: at the bolded.

Helpful, sis. Thanks.

YvetteWithJoy

On break

You aren't trying to be a double agent who must move undetected between country borders, or else you'll lose your life. Wigs aren't disguises. Most wigs look wiggy, especially in person. It takes practice , skills and confidence to make them look like real hair. But even with all that, it can be hit or miss.

Just enjoy yourself and have fun while you are protecting your hair. Count your blessings that you don't HAVE to wear a wig because you are completely bald. That situation is a reality for MANY women!

Mm. :yep: So true. Thank you for infusing this perspective.

YvetteWithJoy

On break

:wave: , @Chicoro. How are you?

Here is me in the wavy wig from above.

I am taking your advice and just enjoying. :yep: Thanks, again.

1_WP_20171014_029.jpg 2_WP_20171014_030.jpg 3_WP_20171014_021.jpg 4_WP_20171014_012.jpg