2017 Wig Challenge

HairNinja

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Yes, we come to slay. Your wigs are beautiful. The real game changer is your real hair. When you let it out unlike these celebrities, your hair is waist length and beyond. Plus you get to keep it protected and healthy, welcome to the wig game.

True that, @HairNinja, that's so right! And protective styling for the entire year of 2017 is the whole reason for me starting down this wig pathway in the first place.

I think I may get some of that scar silicone today. That should be relatively easy to find in one of the 187.4 million pharmacies they have here in town.

LegsLegsLegs

I'm not trying to be negative but I just want you all to be careful with these wig grips and stuff that go around your hair line. I was about to get one until I'd seen some reviews that it will thin your edges out. Be careful and make sure you ladies are keeping your edges moist and the wig grip doesn't move around

Chicoro

So I brought those scarstrips for my wig part, and it looks so natural. I added black eyeshadow
near the part to make it look like roots. No concealer added:

The artistry and the mastery of it all! It looks good. I would have never thought to put black eye shadow on the wig to simulate roots coming back in black. That is so very clever!

Chicoro

This is the Ballad. The color is OM701. I'm assuming OM stands for ombre.
  • Deep invisible L-Part
  • Lace front wig
  • Synthetic
  • Safe up to 400 degree F curling iron
  • Modelmodelhair.com
The first photo is the picture on the wig. The wig hangs to armpit on her. It hangs below bra-strap on my body. I have a short torso.

Today is the first day I wore it out. The shades photo is how I wore the wig today, which was a bit flat. I removed the lace and plucked some of the hairline a while back.

The other pictures show the part, the view from the front, left side and right side and with my head to the side to show the fullness. I tried to capture photos to show the texture and color of the wig.

I have very strong features (very large mouth, full broad and wide forehead, full nose). Thus, I think the fuller, longer wigs go better with my features than short wigs. I like this one, too!

Ballad Om701.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6390.JPG
    IMG_6390.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_6427.JPG
    IMG_6427.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_6460.JPG
    IMG_6460.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_6478.JPG
    IMG_6478.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_6481.JPG
    IMG_6481.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6504.JPG
    IMG_6504.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
This is my latest wig

I get tons of compliments on this unit. I'll be wearing it until it starts looking bad. I hope to be able to wear it until Memorial day.

Papi Chulo types be breaking they necks to look and holla at me now :lol:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 114

angelmilk

This is my latest wig

I get tons of compliments on this unit. I'll be wearing it until it starts looking bad. I hope to be able to wear it until Memorial day.

Papi Chulo types be breaking they necks to look and holla at me now :lol:
I wanna try a short wig sooo bad but I'm too scared :cry3:

LegsLegsLegs

An update on my progress.
I've been so busy this past month so I definitely have not been consistent as I'd like with washing my hair & with applying xcel to my scalp. Last wash day was a month ago (I aim for every two weeks) & I do xcel about every other day or every 2 days (I aim for daily application)
On the brighter side, my hair has remained very moist & soft thanks to my consistency in moisturizing &sealing & also to baggying! I baggy my hair under my wig (thanks for the tip @Chicoro :) ) or while I'm at home. I use leave in conditioners when I baggy & it has definitely benefited my hair!! I just apply braid spray, a leave-in conditioner & an oil and put on a processing cap. My hair stays moist and it is so SOFT!!!
My hair has been left alone in 4 cornrows under my wigs for the past month.
Also, my hair has grown an inch this past month, which I think is a faster growth rate for me (I have not measured my growth rate in about 2 years and it was 2/3" per month back then). I can't say if this growth is due to xcel, my new multi vitamin with Omega 3 fatty acids I started taking a month ago, the baggying or all three but I'm very happy with my progress :):):)
I attached a progress photo.

Attachments

• IMG_2082.JPG
    IMG_2082.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 101

Chicoro

An update on my progress.
I've been so busy this past month so I definitely have not been consistent as I'd like with washing my hair & with applying xcel to my scalp. Last wash day was a month ago (I aim for every two weeks) & I do xcel about every other day or every 2 days (I aim for daily application)
On the brighter side, my hair has remained very moist & soft thanks to my consistency in moisturizing &sealing & also to baggying! I baggy my hair under my wig (thanks for the tip @Chicoro :) ) or while I'm at home. I use leave in conditioners when I baggy & it has definitely benefited my hair!! I just apply braid spray, a leave-in conditioner & an oil and put on a processing cap. My hair stays moist and it is so SOFT!!!
My hair has been left alone in 4 cornrows under my wigs for the past month.
Also, my hair has grown an inch this past month, which I think is a faster growth rate for me (I have not measured my growth rate in about 2 years and it was 2/3" per month back then). I can't say if this growth is due to xcel, my new multi vitamin with Omega 3 fatty acids I started taking a month ago, the baggying or all three but I'm very happy with my progress :):):)
I attached a progress photo.

Congratulations on your progress! It really is a process in that not one thing helps to gain length and retain, but a series of things thoughtfully put together.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Is anyone using any of the fingercomber wigs?
I am debating getting one or two.
Only hesitation is that I don't care for black hair. i would prefer a brown with highlights or ombre

Kinky straight

Kinky Wave

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
I wanna try a short wig sooo bad but I'm too scared :cry3:
Do it! I did one for the holidays. It was dark with purple highlights and it looked soooo good, especially in the wintertime with a hat. It was called Freddie or Charlie or something like that, and I think it was by Freetress. I paid $15 for it.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Is anyone using any of the fingercomber wigs?
I am debating getting one or two.
Only hesitation is that I don't care for black hair. i would prefer a brown with highlights or ombre

Kinky straight

Kinky Wave

^^ Those look beautiful.

I however, was not impressed with my FingerComber purchase.

I literally burned money on synthetic hair that I would never wear.
The units are soo beautiful online, but what I got in the mail?
No maa'm. Shiny, babydoll hair.

It looked nothing like the photos, and even with tweaking, I just could not wear it.
Ended up trashing it with my spring cleaning that year.

I would not have minded if it was your regular synthetic $19.99-$30.00 proved wig, but I spent $almost $70.00 (including shipping) on trash.

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
I'm in this challenge baby! I just got my mom to cornrow my hair and she did a great job! I was sort of emotional as I was preparing my hair for braiding because I've worn it out so much this year. I plan on keeping it up the rest of the year. I'm tired of dealing with it but I will miss it. I will come back with more deets and my current wig.

CheChe1881

This is the Ballad. The color is OM701. I'm assuming OM stands for ombre.
  • Deep invisible L-Part
  • Lace front wig
  • Synthetic
  • Safe up to 400 degree F curling iron
  • Modelmodelhair.com
The first photo is the picture on the wig. The wig hangs to armpit on her. It hangs below bra-strap on my body. I have a short torso.

Today is the first day I wore it out. The shades photo is how I wore the wig today, which was a bit flat. I removed the lace and plucked some of the hairline a while back.

The other pictures show the part, the view from the front, left side and right side and with my head to the side to show the fullness. I tried to capture photos to show the texture and color of the wig.

I have very strong features (very large mouth, full broad and wide forehead, full nose). Thus, I think the fuller, longer wigs go better with my features than short wigs. I like this one, too!

View attachment 393543

How do you hide all of that luscious hair of yours underneath? It looks very flat and not bulky.

Chicoro

How do you hide all of that luscious hair of yours underneath? It looks very flat and not bulky.

@CheChe1881,
Thank you very much for the compliment regarding my hair. I appreciate it!

My process is that I pull my braids into a low, ponytail at the back of my head, close to the nape. I tuck the ends of the braids in the ponytail. I use a knee-hi to tie the pony tail. Also, when I pull my braids around, I make sure to lay them as flat as possible on my head. The bulk of the ponytail at my nape, in conjunction with the straps on the wig, pull everything tight and flat comfortably. I use a wig cap at a minimum. If my hair is super greasy, I use a conditioning plastic cap first, then the wig cap, then the wig. I hope this helps. If not, let me know. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask and let me know.

Last edited: