2017 Wig Challenge

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Excellent Process to Consider for Wig Application:

I don't own a lace wig. Also, I could not understand why a woman with brown skin would use a light wig cap. Now, I see what people are doing. Here is a video a bit involved technique. She colors the wig cap with the person's foundation and then literally tacks the wig cap down on the head with Got2Be. She also trims and shapes the wig cap to mould it on the person's face. It's an interesting technique and would work fabulously for the Red Carpet. She also shows how she inserts the elastic band.

Comments under video:
So do you have to change the wig cap everyday and do this everyday or every couple days? How long does the wig and cap stay attached for?

Freedom .Couture Hair3 weeks ago
First Name Hi bella, When you wear a wig with the got 2 be gel it usually will last you for 2-5 days depending on how well you care for it. If you keep it on for 5 days When you take the wig off you can take the wig cap off too but if you keep the wig for 2 days you could re use the cap all week

Last edited:

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
I am currently wigging it! So Im in!
:

1. Like this post. Done

2. How long do you plan on wigging it? The whole year with a week break here and there.

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony? I moisturize every night or 1x during the day. I also wear my hair braided into a beehive. I will keep it in the behive for 4 to 6 weeks...maybe longer depending on how well my hair holds up.

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning: NATURAL

5. Current Hair Length: Full BSL

6. 2017 Hair Length Goal: Full MBL to grazing WL

7. Starting Photo -

Attachments

• C360_2017-01-16-22-40-02-204.jpg
    C360_2017-01-16-22-40-02-204.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61

trclemons

I am currently wigging it! So Im in!
:

1. Like this post. Done

2. How long do you plan on wigging it? The whole year with a week break here and there.

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony? I moisturize every night or 1x during the day. I also wear my hair braided into a beehive. I will keep it in the behive for 4 to 6 weeks...maybe longer depending on how well my hair holds up.

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning: NATURAL

5. Current Hair Length: Full BSL

6. 2017 Hair Length Goal: Full MBL to grazing WL

7. Starting Photo -
:welcome:

Chicoro

We are heading into month #6 of the Wig Challenge for 2017.

I had to modify the elastic band method. It was just way too tight. I learned that it does not have to stretched and pulled to work. I like a lot more looseness. I don't stretch my band at all. I cut the length I need, unstretched to from the back to the front and use that. I think I will make it EVEN looser the next time. It was so tight the first time, it made me light headed and woozy. I was about to snatch that thing off in the street because I was so nauseated.

The elastic band works phenomenally! But, you can't put it too tight. I guess that's just common sense, but I ignored that and had it way too tight.

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
Oooh, good question! I'm going away in two weeks and I was thinking I might need to switch to braids.
I was going to get it wet in shower just as an experiment before i retired my last wig but I forgot lol. If I could do a synthetic wig on vaca while swimming that would be ideal because I could take the wig off and wash the chlorine out my hair every night and still look cute in the morning.

Aggie

I was going to get it wet in shower just as an experiment before i retired my last wig but I forgot lol. If I could do a synthetic wig on vaca while swimming that would be ideal because I could take the wig off and wash the chlorine out my hair every night and still look cute in the morning.
I think it looks weird on me so I wouldn't chance it. Braids would be better for the water, plus your wig can go floating away since it's light unless of course you really secure it real tight.

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
Its been a great weekend with my wig. I have been wearing it in its curly state since I got it a month ago, now I'm ready to cut some layers in it. But Im going to wait 1 more week. Ive also had my braid down beehive for over a month! I may keep it up for another week or so and chk to see what type of growth retention I have. Does anyone have a good reggie for sheadding I could implement?
I am so excited that this first 6 weeks is almost over, I cant wait to meet these goals Ive set! WL and beyond!!!

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

If you are interested in joining, please respond to the following:

1. Like this post. Liked.

2. How long do you plan on wigging it? An entire year

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony? Working on my plan

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning: 8 years natural, had setback and cut 6 inches off

5. Current Hair Length: APL, I think

6. 2017 Hair Length Goal: MBL

7. Starting Photo working on it

Please keep this thread alive with pictures of your current wigs, wig reviews, hair regimen updates, photos of your hair's progress, etc. as often as possible, but at least on:

1. March 31st

2. June 30th

3. September 30th

4. December 31st

:gorgeous: LET'S DO THIS LADIES!!! :gorgeous:

Last edited:

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
I've been wearing Outre 4c coily for about a week now and y'all... y'all...this wig is so bomb. I haven't been much of anywhere this week but I did go to the mall. Heads have been turning by women and men alike. It's similar length to my natural hair so I feels sort of like I have my hair out. I haven't taken any of my edges out. I just slick them back with edge control. The only down side to this wig is working out. It's a lot of hair and I'm not wearing a hot wig to hot yoga and other classes. I've had to settle with wearing a head wrap or baseball cap to cover these cornrows in order to workout. :ohwell:

I haven't been this happy with my hair regimen in years. My hair was pretty dry from the updo I kept for 3 weeks so now I'm experimenting with saturating my hair with water every 1-2 days. Hopefully nothing goes wrong.

I'll try to add a pic soon.

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
I am officially on one!!! Heres my update...
Ive just finished my first 6 weeks. I took my hair down and allowed to to breathe for 4 days. My sister re-braided my hair in a large beehive which I will stay in for another 4 to 6 weeks. I only take my wig off about 1x a week for moisturizing and sealing. Over the weekend I got engaged and my hair (wig) was amazing!!! I was supposed to cut layers and curl my lace wig however I am still in love with the curly look! My plan is to wig it until my wedding. WL is the goal. Please wish me luch and give any and all advise you may have! And this is me today after a long weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_20170612_105522.jpg
    IMG_20170612_105522.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 68

Chicoro

I am officially on one!!! Heres my update...
Ive just finished my first 6 weeks. I took my hair down and allowed to to breathe for 4 days. My sister re-braided my hair in a large beehive which I will stay in for another 4 to 6 weeks. I only take my wig off about 1x a week for moisturizing and sealing. Over the weekend I got engaged and my hair (wig) was amazing!!! I was supposed to cut layers and curl my lace wig however I am still in love with the curly look! My plan is to wig it until my wedding. WL is the goal. Please wish me luch and give any and all advise you may have! And this is me today after a long weekend!

Congratulations on your engagement and your upcoming wedding and marriage! How wonderful to have a life-changing experience and to know that you look amazing at the same time!

Hair suggestions:
  1. How did your hair look after the 6 week round? Did you gain any growth? Did you do a protein treatment to fortify the hair?
  2. If that is your hair in your avatar, it looks to me like you have only about 6 inches to go to get to waist length.
  3. I don't see any indication of the date of your wedding, so I don't know how much time you have to grow. But on average, it will take about 12 months to gain 6 inches. This is barring there are no major set-backs or extensive cutting.
  4. Thus, I would say and estimate that you may be looking at getting to waist length around May 2018.

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
Congratulations on your engagement and your upcoming wedding and marriage! How wonderful to have a life-changing experience and to know that you look amazing at the same time!

Hair suggestions:
  1. How did your hair look after the 6 week round? Did you gain any growth? Did you do a protein treatment to fortify the hair?
  2. If that is your hair in your avatar, it looks to me like you have only about 6 inches to go to get to waist length.
  3. I don't see any indication of the date of your wedding, so I don't know how much time you have to grow. But on average, it will take about 12 months to gain 6 inches. This is barring there are no major set-backs or extensive cutting.
  4. Thus, I would say and estimate that you may be looking at getting to waist length around May 2018.

My hair grew about 1.5 inches the first 6 weeks! I want to get a better regimen for my vitamins this 6 weeks. I need to keep up this growth level. My hair seems to grow then stop off and on... I did not do any protein treatment this go around. I think I should have though.
That is my hair in the aviator. I pray for no set backs and Im not cutting anything ever. (Just a very lite dusting when needed)
The big day is October 20 2018, so I believe I should be there by then. I have just never been longer then I am right now. I plan to keep wigging it until then. Only taking my hair down for no more than 5 days at a time, every 4 to 6 weeks or maybe pushing to 6 to 8 weeks. I need to retain length and I should be good. But it never seems to get any longer. I dont know what Im doing wrong.

Chicoro

My hair grew about 1.5 inches the first 6 weeks! I want to get a better regimen for my vitamins this 6 weeks. I need to keep up this growth level. My hair seems to grow then stop off and on... I did not do any protein treatment this go around. I think I should have though.
That is my hair in the aviator. I pray for no set backs and Im not cutting anything ever. (Just a very lite dusting when needed)
The big day is October 20 2018, so I believe I should be there by then. I have just never been longer then I am right now. I plan to keep wigging it until then. Only taking my hair down for no more than 5 days at a time, every 4 to 6 weeks or maybe pushing to 6 to 8 weeks. I need to retain length and I should be good. But it never seems to get any longer. I dont know what Im doing wrong.
Tell me where, when and how your hair breaks, please!

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
Tell me where, when and how your hair breaks, please!

My hair is 4c in the crown and I notice there is always broken spots in the crown. Also when I do individual plaits around the parting areas break.
Other then that I always shed like crazy. I mostly finger detangle (except when I do my behive bread which is once every 4 to 6 weeks). My hair gets matted really easily so I make sure my hair is really detangled before I braid it up for long periods of time.
Let me know what you think please.

Chicoro

My hair is 4c in the crown and I notice there is always broken spots in the crown. Also when I do individual plaits around the parting areas break.
Other then that I always shed like crazy. I mostly finger detangle (except when I do my behive bread which is once every 4 to 6 weeks). My hair gets matted really easily so I make sure my hair is really detangled before I braid it up for long periods of time.
Let me know what you think please.

Does the bulk of your hair, the ends of the beehive, rest in the crown? If so, you may want to switch up your braiding style a bit.

Are you shedding with braids in or when you do the take down after 4 to 6 weeks? If your hair tends to matt easily, does it matt badly after being braided for 4 to 6 weeks? How much time do you give your hair before you re-braid in the 4 to 6 week stretches? What kind of protein do you use? How often?

What is your daily/weekly/monthly moisturizing process? What products do you use and how do you apply them?

ForestRose

I just figured out that my sew in wig has been snatching my kitchen out. Looks like I'm gonna have to do box braids for maybe a month or so. I just wanna give my nape some breathing time.

Has anyone else had this issue before? I don't want to start wearing my hair out atm and I know braids aren't necessarily better but I'm keeping my head covered for most of the year with the occasional week where I wear my hair natural. Any advice? Tbh I'd rather just wear my wig because braids take so long to do.

Chicoro

I just figured out that my sew in wig has been snatching my kitchen out. Looks like I'm gonna have to do box braids for maybe a month or so. I just wanna give my nape some breathing time.

Has anyone else had this issue before? I don't want to start wearing my hair out atm and I know braids aren't necessarily better but I'm keeping my head covered for most of the year with the occasional week where I wear my hair natural. Any advice? Tbh I'd rather just wear my wig because braids take so long to do.

Yes! People cornrow across, at the nape. It has been talked about as far back as 2008 here on LHCF. In fact, the woman in the YouTube video is our own beloved Mook who started that thread in 2008. Here's the thread link and what Mook wrote in the first post that was so important and helpful:

https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/grow-your-nape-tutorial-photos.197345/#post-3709717

"I've been protecting my nape by cornrowing it across and it has been thriving. But I never know what to do with the long tail of the braid. when I pin it the hairpin always seems to fall out at some point during the day or it jabs me in my neck meat.

Until now....
I just did this and had to share.
You can do this and wear your hair down if you have at least SL hair, no one will even see the braid under your hair. You can keep it moisturized, oiled and off of your clothes all day and Hopefully you'll get good results too.

I also posted a video of the whole thing in my fotki videos section.

All you need is
1. the ability to cornrow
2. a small hairpin."

I was unable to find a recent post I saw this year. Here's a video to show how from YouTube:

Last edited:

ForestRose

Yes! People cornrow across, at the nape. It has been talked about as far back as 2008 here on LHCF. In fact, the woman in the YouTube video is our own beloved Mook who started that thread in 2008. Here's the thread link and what Mook wrote in the first post that was so important and helpful:

https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/grow-your-nape-tutorial-photos.197345/#post-3709717

"I've been protecting my nape by cornrowing it across and it has been thriving. But I never know what to do with the long tail of the braid. when I pin it the hairpin always seems to fall out at some point during the day or it jabs me in my neck meat.

Until now....
I just did this and had to share.
You can do this and wear your hair down if you have at least SL hair, no one will even see the braid under your hair. You can keep it moisturized, oiled and off of your clothes all day and Hopefully you'll get good results too.

I also posted a video of the whole thing in my fotki videos section.

All you need is
1. the ability to cornrow
2. a small hairpin."

I was unable to find a recent post I saw this year. Here's a video to show how from YouTube:

Wow thank you! I'm still kind of nervous about it showing though but I'll give it a go next time I wear my wig. I'm wearing a SL straight/wavy bob atm. Do you think that'll be too risky?

I take it that you don't sew or clip anything onto the braid right?