2018 Coffee Tea Ayurv Henna Cassia Rice Clay Mud Avj Acv Onion

Britt

hi ladies, yesterday I finally henna my hair. It was my first time and I did a mixture of 1/2 henna, 1/2 indigo and left it on my hair for a good 5-6 hours. I deep conditioned afterwards and my hair felt good. I am currently transitioning. The few grays I have are a light reddish tone. Just want to thank @ElevatedEnergy for answering all my questions :yep:. I'm gonna henna again doing the roots only this Friday and sleep with it in my hair. My entire day was ate up yesterday doing my hair. i will use more like 75% indigo and 25% henna mix. I used hot water to mix and had let my henna mixture sit overnight in a glass jar. I need my grays to color more deeply.

Britt

For those of you who henna consistently, does it loosen your texture? I'm wondering if this will help out some since I'm transitioning? Do any of you sleep with the henna overnight to help save on time and ensure processing?

GGsKin

For those of you who henna consistently, does it loosen your texture? I'm wondering if this will help out some since I'm transitioning? Do any of you sleep with the henna overnight to help save on time and ensure processing?

@Britt I've slept with henna overnight but I don't think it needs that long. I usually try to keep it on my hair for about 4hrs. Ooh, and just to pick up on your previous post, how hot was the water you used to mix your henna? Hot water will cause the dye to release quickly, and too hot will kill off the lawsone (dye molecules), resulting in a poor stain. I think loosening your texture is dependent upon number of applications and technique. I do not smooth my henna, I scrunch to avoid loosening.

Britt

@Britt I've slept with henna overnight but I don't think it needs that long. I usually try to keep it on my hair for about 4hrs. Ooh, and just to pick up on your previous post, how hot was the water you used to mix your henna? Hot water will cause the dye to release quickly, and too hot will kill off the lawsone (dye molecules), resulting in a poor stain. I think loosening your texture is dependent upon number of applications and technique. I do not smooth my henna, I scrunch to avoid loosening.
Thank u for this!
I boiled water and then let it cool off for a bit. So many nuances with this henna stuff lol. Should i use warm water only next time? Would a heating cap for an hour speed up the process some?

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I've been trying rhassoul as part of my overall ayurvedic mixes. But I have all three so plan to try a mix as recommended by Green Beauty sometime this month.
I am currently using this very mix. I’m on my second cleansing and my hair is very soft but defined and manageable. I’ve always loved Rhassoul and thought that Bentonite was drying but this combination of the three is giving my hair life.

GGsKin

Thank u for this!
I boiled water and then let it cool off for a bit. So many nuances with this henna stuff lol. Should i use warm water only next time? Would a heating cap for an hour speed up the process some?

You're welcome. Yes, warm is ok. I don't have a heating cap but I don't see how using one could hurt. I feel like I've read @ElevatedEnergy say she uses heat (maybe fro the dryer) with her henna/indigo applications. If not, I know someone round here does.

Karmi

I am currently using this very mix. I’m on my second cleansing and my hair is very soft but defined and manageable. I’ve always loved Rhassoul and thought that Bentonite was drying but this combination of the three is giving my hair life.

I've been doing a kaolin and bentonite mix for a few washes and I really like the balance between the two. Bentonite cleans my hair really well and the kaolin conditions. I plan to wash with these two clays with rice vinegar instead of acv (fist time, hope it goes well). It would be interesting to see how my hair feels with rhassoul clay added.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I've been doing a kaolin and bentonite mix for a few washes and I really like the balance between the two. Bentonite cleans my hair really well and the kaolin conditions. I plan to wash with these two clays with rice vinegar instead of acv (fist time, hope it goes well). It would be interesting to see how my hair feels with rhassoul clay added.
Do you mix it like a masque or a looser mixture?

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I’m trying to find a way to incorporate henna into my regi. I have some I purchased a while back when I was henna-ing. I don’t want color change because I have gray at my temples and at my sideburns and I really hated the redorange that came with it. Can I mix it with conditioner or something to use without color change? Recommendations? Can it be used as a cleanser?

Last edited:

Karmi

I used rice vinegar in my bentonite and kaolin clay mix to cleanse my hair. I can't tell if did anything different instead of using acv but I think I'll stick with it for the rest of this month and all February to give it some time to see results. I'm too lazy to prep rice water to rinse with so I'll try this as an alternative.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I used my sheabutter with some Ayurveda herbs and fenugreek I believe.

I think for my next batch, I’m going to try but the herbs straight in.

Also, as a side note, I put hibiscus in a dc a while back. Yesterday when I washed, I saw my hair had a burgundy tint when I held it up to the sunlight. Nothing obvious, but something to think about.