2018 Coffee Tea Ayurv Henna Cassia Rice Clay Mud Avj Acv Onion

GGsKin

I just got some Zizyphus spina christi (sedr) powder so I think this weekend will be my Henna day. I may just do henna on my disrespectful roots and the ziziphus on my ends.

I was going to wait my customary 2 week to wash but :look: new-new.

:work: @imaginary You just gave me a literal :think:. I'd never thought of doing henna roots/ ziziphus ends but this makes so much sense. I've chopped off a lot of straggly looking ends. I pondered henna being the cause and I thought about how I may have to give my beloved henna ends up one day. But now...:evillaugh:.

imaginary

:work: @imaginary You just gave me a literal :think:. I'd never thought of doing henna roots/ ziziphus ends but this makes so much sense. I've chopped off a lot of straggly looking ends. I pondered henna being the cause and I thought about how I may have to give my beloved henna ends up one day. But now...:evillaugh:.

Yeah I only really see the curl loosening happen at my very ends. If this works out then I'll only have to henna my whole head occasionally to top up the colour. Have you used zizyphus before? How are you liking it?

GGsKin

Yeah I only really see the curl loosening happen at my very ends. If this works out then I'll only have to henna my whole head occasionally to top up the colour. Have you used zizyphus before? How are you liking it?

I haven't used it yet, but I've had some just sitting there for 'when I have time'. And when I do have time, I forget lol. I'm looking forward to it though.

imaginary

I was soooooooo looking forward to applying my henna/indigo mix to my hair tonight to sleep in it, but last night I spent the night at my SO and therefore wasn't able to mix my henna for the dye release. Now I'll have to make my mix this evening and apply tmrw to let it sit alllllllll day :nono::hammer:

Are you sure you have to let it sit? I usually just mix it and apply it right away then leave it on overnight. The colour and the strengthening always works for me.

GGsKin

I was soooooooo looking forward to applying my henna/indigo mix to my hair tonight to sleep in it, but last night I spent the night at my SO and therefore wasn't able to mix my henna for the dye release. Now I'll have to make my mix this evening and apply tmrw to let it sit alllllllll day :nono::hammer:

I agree, you may not have to wait to apply. Different types of henna have different dye release times (not sure what type yout have). But this would be an ideal time to mix with warmish water and slap that henna on. It should release on your hair anyway if you plan to leave on for 4+hrs.

I am impatient but I usually mix my henna and freeze right away. Then I'll let defrost and use. Freezing my henna gives me a brighter colour.

Britt

I agree, you may not have to wait to apply. Different types of henna have different dye release times (not sure what type yout have). But this would be an ideal time to mix with warmish water and slap that henna on. It should release on your hair anyway if you plan to leave on for 4+hrs.

I am impatient but I usually mix my henna and freeze right away. Then I'll let defrost and use. Freezing my henna gives me a brighter colour.
Are you sure you have to let it sit? I usually just mix it and apply it right away then leave it on overnight. The colour and the strengthening always works for me.
Thank you guys!
I think I have to let it sit, I'm sure I read that on the henna sooq website?
I'm thinking maybe I don't have to let it sit as much since I'll be using more indigo this go around. Like 25% henna and 75% indigo and the indigo does not need dye release. I really wanted to just wash my hair this evening, apply the henna and showercap and go to bed. I think I'm going to do so and see what the results are tmrw lol. @imaginary that's a great idea. How do you freeze it? Like the measured amounts? What do you store it in?

GGsKin

Thank you guys!
I'm thinking maybe I don't have to let it sit as much since I'll be using more indigo this go around. Like 25% henna and 75% indigo and the indigo does not need dye release. I really wanted to just wash my hair this evening, apply the henna and showercap and go to bed. I think I'm going to do so and see what the results are tmrw lol. @imaginary that's a great idea. How do you freeze it? Like the measured amounts? What do you store it in?

I just eyeball my mixes now so once it is mixed, I'll cover with cling film leaving no air and place the whole glass bowl in the freezer. Usually the next day I will take it out to use. With better planning I could probably freeze a few applications and defrost as needed but.. no I'm not that organised:look:.

Britt

I just eyeball my mixes now so once it is mixed, I'll cover with cling film leaving no air and place the whole glass bowl in the freezer. Usually the next day I will take it out to use. With better planning I could probably freeze a few applications and defrost as needed but.. no I'm not that organised:look:.
Thank you! I just mixed up some in a jar and whatever is leftover I'll just leave in the fridge.
What happens if you apply indigo without henna?
I *think* it will color the hair green? I know there's a warning not to do so. If you really want your hair to be black you must henna first and then apply the indigo, it's a longer 2 step process.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@ElevatedEnergy
My Snickerdoodle arrived today and you are absolutely right, smells identical to HV's Vatika Frosting.:2inlove:

I think that might have been @flyygirlll2 who made that comparison. I have the P & J Snickerdoodle one and I think it smells very similar but that ButterCream Frosting from Bulk Apothecary is spot on for Vatika Frosting. You gotta try that one too! @IDareT'sHair

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I think that might have been @flyygirlll2 who made that comparison. I have the P & J Snickerdoodle one and I think it smells very similar but that ButterCream Frosting from Bulk Apothecary is spot on for Vatika Frosting. You gotta try that one too!
@ElevatedEnergy
This is the one I have.:up:

Beweave it or not, I had the one from Bulk-A in my Cart several times and backed it out both times.:spinning:

It's in my Wish-List there tho'.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@ElevatedEnergy
Buying those Fra.grance Oils are totally "addictive" I was shocked how many I have accumulated in such a short time #pjproblems:eek:

I will definitely pick that one up next time I order from Bulk-A.:love:

And they are potent too! You have to be careful with the sweet ones cause you think they are not strong and start putting in too much. I made some wax melts with that sand and sun oil from B.A. and put too much oil in. I was gagging and had a headache by the time I was doing pouring the wax. :eek:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@ElevatedEnergy
Agreed.

I made a batch and use Pine.apple Oil and it didn't have a "stopper" and now it stanks cause its overpowering.:eek:

So, instead of "shaking in a few drops, the whole bottle went it":rolleyes:

I just bought Pome.granate See.d Oil from Pi.ping Ro.ck and also a 4oz Jar of M.atcha Powder. Have you ever used either in any of your "Fabulous Creations?":love:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@ElevatedEnergy
Agreed.

I made a batch and use Pine.apple Oil and it didn't have a "stopper" and now it stanks cause its overpowering.:eek:

So, instead of "shaking in a few drops, the whole bottle went it":rolleyes:

I just bought Pome.granate See.d Oil from Pi.ping Ro.ck and also a 4oz Jar of M.atcha Powder. Have you ever used either in any of your "Fabulous Creations?":love:

I was thinking about doing something with matcha powder last summer but never got around to it. I may revisit it soon. I bet it would be nice in a treatment! Pomegranate oil sounds like it would be nice too!

imaginary

Forgot to do my Rice Wata' Rinse today!:eek:....:angry2:

That was me with my wash day on Friday. I was so annoyed because the smoothness really helps after henna.

You know, freezing and then defrosting actually allows for better dye release. Freezing helps to crystallize the cell walls and defrosting (quickly)causes them to rupture. I've always felt that my leftover mixes gave me more vibrant colour, it was an interesting factoid to learn.

Thank you guys!

I think if you do your henna overnight for the dye release then when you wake in the morning you could do the indigo and apply it right after since it doesn't need very long to work. I hope it worked out for you either way.

Edited to add: I store my henna in a plastic bag in the freezer. Not the most durable but it's what I have.

Last edited:

GGsKin

That was me with my wash day on Friday. I was so annoyed because the smoothness really helps after henna.

You know, freezing and then defrosting actually allows for better dye release. Freezing helps to crystallize the cell walls and defrosting (quickly)causes them to rupture. I've always felt that my leftover mixes gave me more vibrant colour, it was an interesting factoid to learn.

I think if you do your henna overnight for the dye release then when you wake in the morning you could do the indigo and apply it right after since it doesn't need very long to work. I hope it worked out for you either way.

Edited to add: I store my henna in a plastic bag in the freezer. Not the most durable but it's what I have.

Yes I'm with you. When I read that, I tested it out early because I've always used henna mainly for colour, and I've been freezing it ever since. Much more vibrant.