2018 Curlyproverbz-inspired Regimen Challenge

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy Keep doing what you are doing Hun. We have seen natural people on this very board struggle for many years to reach APL and we have also seen many women on this very board who are relaxed and reach hip/tailbone.

Just like anything else: Ayurvedic practices work for some and not for others. I have learned that unlike other hair techniques, Ayurvedic treatments takes time to see results. You have to stick with it and be consistent. Most write it off after a treatment or two. But here are my results after 5 months of use:

View attachment 413149

It works.

Nice!!!

And thank so much for the encouragement.

Yes -- I think I hop around a little too much. Just a little. :smile: So I'm going to keep what I know for sure works for me: DCing then washing then DCing. I'm going to keep Chicoro's excellent tip about applying shea butter. (I use an ayurvedic one.) Then I'm going to patiently take some time in 2018, Lord willing, to see what cassia and oils and ayurveda do for me. Maybe nothing, but maybe something!

I feel pretty good about my progress: I know my hair can be stronger, and I know I can reduce how much I weaken my ends. I brush A LOT. Keeping my hair in twists under a wig should help reduce how much I brush. :yep:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Oooooooh I like this challenge already! Count me in as well. I've been following a plant based regimen since April 2017 and it has been so beneficial to my strands. I'll come back soon and update with my regimen, products and powders.

How I add Ayurvedic practices in my routine:

At least once a month:
Ayurvedic Deep Treatment for a minimum of 4 hours, maximum of overnight.
Favorite powder combo:
Henna, Amla, Bhringraj with creamed honey, Ayurvedic oil & conditioner.
I'll sometimes just do straight henna followed by an indigo treatment to keep my hair jet black.
I'll sometimes just do a Brahmi treatment when I feel like I need mostly strength.

At least once a week:
I do what I like to call an oil soak and scalp massage with an Ayurvedic Herbal oil. I make the oil different almost every batch but it mostly always contains a strong infusion of:
Henna, Brahmi, Aloe vera, rosemary, horsetail & fenugreek. Oils vary depending on what I have on hand. I lightly mist my hair with rosewater and drench my hair and scalp with the oil then baggy overnight. I do not rinse out. My hair soaks all that goodness up.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@YvetteWithJoy not to deter you from wigs, but when I give my hair a rest from bunning, I simply take my twist (the same ones I’d put in a bun) and pull them back some kind of way. I don’t necessarily put my hair up but away. You can find a way for it to frame your face well. I don’t wig so I have to find other ways.

Also, have you thought about adding some herbs to your initial dc, then wash, then dc?

Aggie

Ooh I want to try. I need more structure in my hair regimen.
Can anyone breakdown her reggie?
It's best you subscribe to her channel @larry3344 and watch the videos to help you better. She uses predominantly henna, brahmi, Amla, rose petal, aloe powders and oil infusions with some clay treatments. The recipes are in the box below each video. It will be worth the effort to check them out.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
HELP DISTILLING A CURLYPROVERBZ REGIMEN

I will reserve this second post/space to share potential BEGINNING steps and more to-the-point videos. This because she has scores of videos and at least a dozen recipes, and as her commenters note, it's challenging to distill a regimen or know with what to begin.

I'll just keep editing this post as I understand/discover more. Your input about how this post should look is MORE than welcome. :smile:

NOTE: Be sure to read the info beneath her videos. She often lists recipes, ingredients, measurements, helpful links, etc.​

--------------------------------------------------------

Added Sunday October 8, 2017:
A week of CurlyProverbz caring for her hair

Hi, all. I edited the second post of this thread to function as a spot to help us figure out focal mixes, practices, techniques, etc. from which to develop our own individual regimens . . . for those who could use it. :smile:

I'll keep editing that post as I understand/discover more.

Aggie

How I add Ayurvedic practices in my routine:

At least once a month:
Ayurvedic Deep Treatment for a minimum of 4 hours, maximum of overnight.
Favorite powder combo:
Henna, Amla, Bhringraj with creamed honey, Ayurvedic oil & conditioner.
I'll sometimes just do straight henna followed by an indigo treatment to keep my hair jet black.
I'll sometimes just do a Brahmi treatment when I feel like I need mostly strength.

At least once a week:
I do what I like to call an oil soak and scalp massage with an Ayurvedic Herbal oil. I make the oil different almost every batch but it mostly always contains a strong infusion of:
Henna, Brahmi, Aloe vera, rosemary, horsetail & fenugreek. Oils vary depending on what I have on hand. I lightly mist my hair with rosewater and drench my hair and scalp with the oil then baggy overnight. I do not rinse out. My hair soaks all that goodness up.

@lulu97
Well missy, you know I always welcome posts from you. You teach us so much and you are so appreciated, I'll have you know. Thanks for sharing this.

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
I'd like to join but I won't have access to ayurvedic herbs (besides cocoveda oil) before Christmas. Where are you all getting your stuff online?

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
  1. What do you hope to gain from trialing a CurlyProverbz-based regimen? My goal is length retention, less frequent trims, and increased thickness (if possible, I'm aware genetics plays a major factor).
  2. What products or mixes do you intend to use? I found some Nupur Henna in my forgotten stash, so I will use it to make my tea rinse. I will continue to use amla, brahmi, shikaikai, and methi in my oil infusion and shea concoction. This will let me know what works for me and what I will need to tweak along the way.
  3. How frequently will you cleanse your hair? I will cleanse my hair weekly for now. I'm going to wear wash n go's until it's out of regulation (military).
  4. How frequently will you apply your various products, mixes, etc? Tea rinse will be used weekly under DC. Oil and shea concoction will be used no more than 3x/wk.
  5. How frequently will you trim or search and destroy? Every three months. I will trim this week and my next trim will be in December.
  6. Anything else you'd like to share? I thought I was going to wait until January, but decided to start this week since I have the ingredients anyway.
    I watched four of her videos this morning. They were very informative. I have most of the ingredients. I'm currently interested in doing the tea rinse and the clay masque (to replace Aphogee 2-step protein treatment). I won't start until January though. I want to see the results of the current regimen I'm on.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'd like to join but I won't have access to ayurvedic herbs (besides cocoveda oil) before Christmas. Where are you all getting your stuff online?

You'll have company: I'm not starting until the first Sunday in January 2018.

I need to finish trialing my new Aveda products before adding teas and so forth.

I was getting my henna from Amazon (it needs to be body art quality, I learned). But now I've found an IndoPak market not-too-far from me, and the prices are so economical!!! This allows me to put my funds more toward high quality oils instead of overpricing and shipping fees.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I'm joining!
I came across this YouTuber a few months ago and bits of her story reminded me so much of mine I want to give regimen-level consistency with Ayurveda another go!
I initially joined LHCF to go waist length. And I've done that with my hair in varying states. It seemed the thicker and healthier my waistlength hair was, the less I got to see/enjoy it. So I've been experimenting with ways to keep my type 4 hair mostly loose and still hit waist length. So far, I haven't been able to pass MBL this way.
My hope is that this will help me maintain the length I enjoy without hiding it away a majority of the time.

1. What do you hope to gain from trialing a CurlyProverbz-based regimen? greater strength and length retention with mostly loose hair.
  2. What products or mixes do you intend to use? I made her Ayurvedic hair oil (never added MSM &/or vitamin C to any of my mixes before); using her tea rinses 3-7 times per week, plus a few of my own; fell off in my henna application but will go back to doing this once a month; and start doing henna glosses at least twice a month; she has done hair masks/pastes and I REALLY enjoy leaving these on overnight but the powders/herbs get stuck in my super coily hair once it's time to rinse/wash out. I haven't figured out how to make the removal any easier except maybe trying cornrow installations to keep the powders from getting all along my hair shaft.
  3. How frequently will you cleanse your hair? 1-2 times per week
  4. How frequently will you apply your various products, mixes, etc? At minimum, I'll be using something from the routine every other day. Going to try oil massages every other night.
  5. How frequently will you trim or search and destroy? I just gave myself a haircut to BSL so I'm anxious to get healthier length back. Will do S&D once monthly.
  6. Anything else you'd like to share? Will update a starting pic later.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm joining!
I came across this YouTuber a few months ago and bits of her story reminded me so much of mine I want to give regimen-level consistency with Ayurveda another go!
I initially joined LHCF to go waist length. And I've done that with my hair in varying states. It seemed the thicker and healthier my waistlength hair was, the less I got to see/enjoy it. So I've been experimenting with ways to keep my type 4 hair mostly loose and still hit waist length. So far, I haven't been able to pass MBL this way.
My hope is that this will help me maintain the length I enjoy without hiding it away a majority of the time.

1. What do you hope to gain from trialing a CurlyProverbz-based regimen? greater strength and length retention with mostly loose hair.
  2. What products or mixes do you intend to use? I made her Ayurvedic hair oil (never added MSM &/or vitamin C to any of my mixes before); using her tea rinses 3-7 times per week, plus a few of my own; fell off in my henna application but will go back to doing this once a month; and start doing henna glosses at least twice a month; she has done hair masks/pastes and I REALLY enjoy leaving these on overnight but the powders/herbs get stuck in my super coily hair once it's time to rinse/wash out. I haven't figured out how to make the removal any easier except maybe trying cornrow installations to keep the powders from getting all along my hair shaft.
  3. How frequently will you cleanse your hair? 1-2 times per week
  4. How frequently will you apply your various products, mixes, etc? At minimum, I'll be using something from the routine every other day. Going to try oil massages every other night.
  5. How frequently will you trim or search and destroy? I just gave myself a haircut to BSL so I'm anxious to get healthier length back. Will do S&D once monthly.
  6. Anything else you'd like to share? Will update a starting pic later.

Thanks for sharing in such detail.

I share your goals. I don't want to give up yet on being able to grow out my hair without having to hide it 6/7 days.

In one of CurlyProverbz's videos, she said she almost always protective styled while growing her hair out.

Sniffle.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I figured it might help someone. You never know what issue/goal you have that someone else does too!
I'll say I've seen type 3s do it. But even they usually go through a phase of PSing to really get the hang of what's working/what they can get away with and what's not working/what they can't get away with.
For myself it's *easy* retaining length when your hair is bound up/tucked away 75%+ of the time.

ETA: re the bolded: it CAN be done, but maybe not how you want. JoStylin on YouTube maintains beautiful waist length type 4 natural hair. I think mostly with weekly/biweekly tension method blow outs. I can grow my loose hair out with mostly wash n gos but plateau at mid back length. So it's a trade off for adding heat, length plateaus, or (super) raggedy ends.

Thanks for sharing in such detail.

I share your goals. I don't want to give up yet on being able to grow out my hair without having to hide it 6/7 days.

In one of CurlyProverbz's videos, she said she almost always protective styled while growing her hair out.

Sniffle.

Last edited:

Saga

The Generous Queen
I think I'm going to jump in too.

1. What do you hope to gain from trying a CurlyProverbz-based regimen? Something to help me get over the boredom of doing my hair, while getting past APL/BSL plateau
  2. What products or mixes do you intend to use? The hair oil, strengthening tea spritz, & clay washes.
  3. How frequently will you cleanse your hair? once a week
  4. How frequently will you apply your various products, mixes, etc? I'll use the oil and tea daily
  5. How frequently will you trim or search and destroy? Twice a year or depending on how my ends look.
  6. Anything else you'd like to share? Gotta find an easy way to incorporate this method with long term PSing under wigs.

Aggie

1. What do you hope to gain from trialing a CurlyProverbz-based regimen? I am looking to accomplish deep cleansing and moisture, shine, curl clumping and definition, some strengthening, growth and thickness.
  2. What products or mixes do you intend to use? Henna gloss treatments, ayurveda teas/rinses, ayurveda deep conditioning, clay treatments and hair growth oil.
  3. How frequently will you cleanse your hair? Probably once every 2-3 weeks
  4. How frequently will you apply your various products, mixes, etc? Weekly ayurveda treatments or clay masks, growth oils and/or tea rinses.
  5. How frequently will you trim or search and destroy? I will have my hair trimmed once every 4-6 months or best as needed - I don't S&D
  6. Anything else you'd like to share? I may do 1 week inversions a month and scalp massages with this routine for maximum hair growth.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I just bought a few clays. I got bentonite, rhassoul, kaolin, french green clay and activated charcoal powder. I also bought some AVJ and AVG. I will forgo the rose water - I have quite a bit of rose petal powders on hand that I can use.

Nice clay haul! ?De donde comprastelas? (Where did you buy them?)