2018 Curlyproverbz-inspired Regimen Challenge

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I’m using a variation of the CP henna tea. I listed the ingredients in this thread but forgot them. Mine is a bit slippery and moisturizing. I do follow up with CP oil to seal with M&S. I do it about every other day. Sometimes every day.
Anyone spraying the BB Green Tea or CP Henna Tea every day? If so, are you using a butter or following up w/ moisture each time?

Aggie

I’m using a variation of the CP henna tea. I listed the ingredients in this thread but forgot them. Mine is a bit slippery and moisturizing. I do follow up with CP oil to seal with M&S. I do it about every other day. Sometimes every day.
I'm out of CP henna tea but now I'm interested in how you got it to feel slippery and moisturizing :look:. I do have slippery elm and marshmallow leaves in my stash. Would any of these work?

If so, I'm thinking about making a tea with these two herbs (strained of course) and use that as my liquid to add all the henna and other ayurveda herbs to before infusing. What do you think @kxlot79?

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
That sounds like a grand experiment! I’m for it! Report back!
Mine is a kitchen sink brew (as in everything but). I had about 2 tbsp of the oily leftover herbs from my CP oil infusion. Slippery elm and marshmallow were in my brew as I recall. As well as some aloe vera juice and EOs I added after the tea brewed.
My last henna tea was like a very liquidy/thin serum. Not quite a real serum but definitely more than water. I credit the mucilage herbs in my CP oil mix. And this is also my fave and go to tea moving forward.

I do have slippery elm and marshmallow leaves in my stash. Would any of these work?

If so, I'm thinking about making a tea with these two herbs (strained of course) and use that as my liquid to add all the henna and other ayurveda herbs to before infusing. What do you think @kxlot79?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Mine is a kitchen sink brew (as in everything but). I had about 2 tbsp of the oily leftover herbs from my CP oil infusion. Slippery elm and marshmallow were in my brew as I recall. As well as some aloe vera juice and EOs I added after the tea brewed.
My last henna tea was like a very liquidy/thin serum. Not quite a real serum but definitely more than water. I credit the mucilage herbs in my CP oil mix. And this is also my fave and go to tea moving forward.

This sounds great!

:curtain:

I know NONE of this needs to be exact: My brain just works better that way. But for those of us who like steps and measurements and such, the next time you make a slippery CP tea that you really like, will you write up a replicable ingredients list with measurements and then tack on exact steps?

Don't come at me, sis! :lol: :kiss:

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
:lachen:I got y’all! Caring is sharing!
I’ve learned SO much from others’ trials and errors over the years I feel like the least I can do is try to share my tragedies and triumphs too! Plus, even when I can’t use something on myself, it almost certainly eventually helps one of my clients or friends!
But for those of us who like steps and measurements and such, the next time you make a slippery CP tea that you really like, will you write up a replicable ingredients list with measurements and then tack on exact steps?

Don't come at me, sis! :lol: :kiss:

Aggie

I am taking the entire Easter weekend off and may make it then. I am so interested in how this will turn out and will report back.

naturalagain2

When I get home I will be straining my 3rd batch of oil. I really like that oil! I keep getting comments how my hair has been growing. I'm sure the extra boost of growth is because of this oil. My oldest is close to bra strap length after cutting to a little past her shoulders a few months ago.

ETA: I'm sure this oil also help with the dry scalp my oldest use to get. Her scalp use to be so dry and flaky. Since using this oil regularly her scalp has cleared up.

Last edited:

Karmi

Has anyone used a preservative in their hair tea to make it last longer? What kinds have you used?

I'm very pleased with the results of using my hair tea daily and sealing with shea butter. I only use shea butter when needed, usually every 2-3 days so my hair doesn't become greasy. My strands have gotten so thick my SO said I could strangle someone with it, haha
But I throw the tea out every week and make a new batch because I'm afraid of bacteria growing in the tea.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Has anyone used a preservative in their hair tea to make it last longer? What kinds have you used?

I'm very pleased with the results of using my hair tea daily and sealing with shea butter. I only use shea butter when needed, usually every 2-3 days so my hair doesn't become greasy. My strands have gotten so thick my SO said I could strangle someone with it, haha
But I throw the tea out every week and make a new batch because I'm afraid of bacteria growing in the tea.

Awesome results! Yes, that hair tea is the real deal!

Earlier in the thread people discussed a couple of versions of optiphen preservative. I'm not sure if they went forward with adding it to the tea or not.

Can you make a smaller amount at a time?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I made a new batch of CP hair tea. This time I added fresh AVG from an aloe leaf so that I can use it as I do Dubaidee4c's super streamlined max hydration method, which I'm loving!

Also, I will be trialing fermented rice water in Q2, and I'm so excited!!! :bounceline:

I found an ayurvedic fermented rice bundle at Etsy.

Theresamonet

I made some gloss bars tonight for the first time using CP’s recipe. However, I had to increase the amount of oil used because her oil to powder ratio produced a thick paste, as opposed to a sludge that could easily be poured into my rose molds.

5D378F95-E254-44EE-A54A-54B6680C2609.jpeg

I doubled the shea butter (subbed for cocoa butter) and added 4 more tablespoons of coconut oil.

Last edited:

Theresamonet

I shouldn’t have to worry about experiencing any curl loosening from using the gloss bars, right?? There is really only approx. 1-1/2 tbsp of henna in each bar I made, so I should be good... Right?? :nervous2:

Wish I had thought to add some Amla or sedr to my mix.

Last edited:

naturalagain2

Added fenugreek to my water mix today. I put my usual AVJ/peppermint/rosemary oil but yesterday instead of just putting purifed water in the water bottle, I took about a cup of purified water and 1 tbsp of fenugreek seeds and let it sit in a mason jar for about 15 - 20 hrs and added that to my mix. I plan to use it to moisturize my wash n go this week.

naturalagain2

Made my henna treatment this morning I plan to apply sometime this afternoon. I mixed about a heaping 1/8 cup of Nupur 9 Henna herb blend, added a heaping tsp more of brahmi, amla, hibiscus, & marshmallow root. I added coconut milk and Aloe Vera juice until I got the thickness I wanted. Right before I do the treatment this afternoon I will add some EVOO, Jamaican black castor coconut oil & a few drops of Rosemary and Peppermint EO. I plan to sit with it about 3 hours then follow up with Keracare Humecto Conditioner.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Made my henna treatment this morning I plan to apply sometime this afternoon. I'm mixed about a heaping 1/8 cup of Nupur 9 Henna herb blend, added a heaping tsp more of brahmi, amla, hibiscus, & marshmallow root. I added coconut milk and Aloe Vera juice until I got the thickness I wanted. Right before I do the treatment this afternoon I will add some EVOO, Jamaican black castor coconut oil & a few drops of Rosemary and Peppermint EO. I plan to sit with it about 3 hours then follow up with Keracare Humecto Conditioner.

Sounds yummy!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I just made a new batch of the CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Fenugreek Hair Growth Oil.

Recipe I used:
  1. Fenugreek seeds: 1/4 a cup
  2. MSM powder: 1 teaspoon
  3. Henna Nupur 9: 1 tablespoon
  4. Aloe Vera powder: 1 teaspoon
  5. Coconut oil, organic: either fractionated or plain, 3/4 a cup (I used liquid coconut oil)
  6. Extra virgin olive oil: 3/4 a cup
  7. Castor oil: 3 tablespoons (I use Mango & Lime Jamaican Black Castor Oil with Vit. A, D, and E from Sally's for the scent)
  8. Argan oil: 1 teaspoon
  9. 7 drops of the following oils:
    1. Bergamot
    2. Rosemary oil
    3. Peppermint oil
    4. Tea tree oil
    5. Carrot seed oil

Last edited:

Aggie

I just made a new batch of the CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Fenugreek Hair Growth Oil.

Recipe I used:
  1. Fenugreek seeds: 1/4 a cup
  2. MSM powder: 1 teaspoon
  3. Henna Nupur 9: 1 tablespoon
  4. Aloe Vera powder: 1 teaspoon
  5. Coconut oil, organic: either fractionated or plain, 3/4 a cup (I used liquid coconut oil)
  6. Extra virgin olive oil: 3/4 a cup
  7. Castor oil: 3 tablespoons (I use Mango & Lime Jamaican Black Castor Oil with Vit. A, D, and E from Sally's for the scent)
  8. Argan oil: 1 teaspoon
  9. 7 drops of the following oils:
    1. Bergamot
    2. Rosemary oil
    3. Peppermint oil
    4. Tea tree oil
    5. Carrot seed oil

Now this sounds like a great mix @YvetteWithJoy :yep:

Aggie

Thanks, sis. I wish I had some horsetail powder or whatever it is to add to it. I was reading up on it. Sounds fantastic. But I think I'm going to enjoy this mix as is anyway. :smile:
You're quite welcome. I have some horsetail shavegrass. I'll use some of it in my tea. I don't know for sure when I'll get to it but would like to have it done by next week end.

Last edited:

silverlotus

Beginner questions:

Does CP not use a DC in her regimen at all?

Also, my hair is short & it really doesn’t need strengthening, just moisture. Would an Ayuvedic regimen not be worth it for me? Even when relaxed, henna made my hair feel rough. Plus, it was messy.

Aggie

On Monday past, I infused some fenugreek seeds and Burdock Root in some fractionated coconut oil and castor oil. I'm only making about 10 ounces of it this time. I'll let it infuse for another week or so before I use it on my scalp.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Beginner questions:

Does CP not use a DC in her regimen at all?

Also, my hair is short & it really doesn’t need strengthening, just moisture. Would an Ayuvedic regimen not be worth it for me? Even when relaxed, henna made my hair feel rough. Plus, it was messy.

Bumping so that her question can get addressed!

I do know that CP uses a DC. :yep:

I'm not sure about the other question.

silverlotus

CP uses various DCs in her regimen. Here is one of her latest videos on DCs and she lists 5 favorites:
View attachment 428443
Idk that anyone’s can evaluate whether Ayurveda is “worth” the investment for you. Do you value DIY? Customization? Natural? Organic? Do you see Ayurveda as a time investment? Is it the start of a healthier lifestyle? Is it just what you hope to be more effective than the commercial stuff? Only you can evaluate that.
My two cents is that ayurveda is for everyone who wants it. There is an Ayurvedic regimen for every budget and lifestyle, from the cheapest most DIY to the most expensive pre-mixed or readymade or commercial. You can make it as simple or complicated as you like.
There are plenty of herbs and oils and foods and supplements that have loads of scientific and anecdotal evidence backing their efficacy at providing moisture if you’re primarily interested in moisture.
A few I can think of offhand are hibiscus, fenugreek, avocado oil, and bananas. They have been excellent at providing or aiding in moisture retention for me personally.
I would say like anything else, you can overdo it when focusing on just one thing. So moisture/protein balance is important to maintain regardless of hair length because you’re going to optimize your styling and aesthetic results by maintaining that balance.
There’s more to Ayurveda than henna, and as many folks on this thread could tell you, there’s a host of ways to use henna that could be individualized to your use to make it the most beneficial to you. In other words, however you used it before may have been too concentrated or too often, or simply your relaxed hair had a certain reaction that your natural hair won’t. You’ll never know until you try!
Sorry for the novella!
Hope this helps!

Thank you! I’m still confused about where and how often in her regimen she uses a DC, though. I watched the videos Yvette posted, along with some on her YT channel, and all I’ve seen is her Ayurvedic regimen with the use of a leave-in.

I didn’t mean to imply henna was the only aspect of Ayurveda! CP herself says quite frequently in her videos that almost all of them (henna, cassia, brahmi, shikakai, amla, etc) give strengthening and require extensive moisture to balance out the effects, which is why she insists on aloe vera juice in everything. That’s basically what I experienced with henna masks, as an example. In the fenugreek threads, someone stated that even that contains protein. Another person stated that she got a rough feeling from it. Strengthening seems to be the core of Ayurveda.

I’m quite familiar with protein/moisture balance and what my hair needs as far as that. I’m not worried about overdoing the moisture. I’ll look into the hibiscus more (although I prefer not to change my hair color) and possibly rose. I didn’t know bananas & avocado oil were specific to Ayurveda. Has CP mentioned those in her videos? I do remember liking avocado oil when I’ve tried it.

Anyway, the gist of CP’s method seems to be using very strengthening Ayuverdic herbs which she then balances out with AVJ & mainstream conditioners. She also seems to complicate the specifics of what she uses quite frequently. I have yet to see a logical, clear explanation of her entire regimen from her.

Her growth and what she attributes to what is also confusing. I read in here that she didn’t pass CBL until she started the Ayurveda. But when I actually looked back at her old vids, she was past CBL when all she was using was henna. Either she’s exaggerating her progress due to what she used or she’s bad at explaining. She throws everything and the kitchen sink into her mixes, how can anybody isolate what is actually helping and what isn’t? I don’t doubt Ayurveda works and CP does have gorgeous hair but she is extra complicated for no reason imo.

Aggie

I love her channel. Her explanations are so clear! :yep: I wish there was more info on how long the good chemical benefits of the herbs last on your hair follicles and scalp. It would help in knowing how frequently the herbs needs to be applied.
I know that most of the Indians would recommend using a herbal treatment, whichever one you decide to use, at least 2-3 times a week. For the record, I don't. Not because I don't want to, but because I truly don't have the time.

My hair usually feels very strong after MOST ayurveda treatments but it is soon softened using deep conditioners that I like, not what Curly Proverbz likes.

I REALLY love Naturelle Grow Rose Clay Deep Conditioner. That thing is super moisturizing on my hair. It works every-time to soften my hair after ANY ayurveda treatment.

I sure hope you find the regimen that works perfectly for you @silverlotus.

naturalyogini

I just flat ironed my hair today to clip my ends and do a length check. My hair is actually growing! The CP oil is working. Now I just need to get my diet in check. I'm going to get the CP tea rinse and rhassoul mix ingredients tomorrow. Plus I'm going to buy a jar of Rainbow black henna to mix with the medium brown henna. My gray hair in the front is a weird color of light brown.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I know that most of the Indians would recommend using a herbal treatment, whichever one you decide to use, at least 2-3 times a week. For the record, I don't. Not because I don't want to, but because I truly don't have the time.

My hair usually feels very strong after MOST ayurveda treatments but it is soon softened using deep conditioners that I like, not what Curly Proverbz likes.

I REALLY love Naturelle Grow Rose Clay Deep Conditioner. That thing is super moisturizing on my hair. It works every-time to soften my hair after ANY ayurveda treatment.

I sure hope you find the regimen that works perfectly for you @silverlotus.

+1 regarding this DC. I forgot about it. It is indeed very good. :yep: