2018 Curlyproverbz-inspired Regimen Challenge

YvetteWithJoy

On break
For those who prepoo:

What's your preferred prepoo?

I'm going to trial a DIY fenugreek prepoo by Lavishly Natural. I may or may not substitute CP oil for the coconut oil. Not sure yet.

Her blog post and video got me. :smile:

http://lavishlynatural.com/greeksmoothie/

Update on the Efficacy of the Current Regimen I'm Trialing:
  • I got two days out of my twist out (I could have gotten three). According to my current regimen design/plans, NEXT after wearing the twist out is to chunky twist the hair and wear a wig during the day, then prepoo overnight.

• I chunky twisted and wore the wig today: Despite temptation to dampen my hair for the chunky twisting, I simply chunky twisted dry hair (didn't want the shrinkage). Surprisingly, I was able to get my wig over them and my wig looked alright!
I'm about to Prepoo:
  • I just indirectly warmed up the @Chicoro moisture-drenched prepoo I had in the fridge (leftover amount from last use). It contains ground fresh aloe, coconut oil (regular, not fractionated), and CurlyProverbz oil.
Update on My First Attempt at Making Lavishly Natural's Fenugreek Smoothie (detangling, conditioning prepoo):
  • Problem: The directions/method in the video differs from that on her site . . . and the video seems to leave out important details. I ended up getting influenced by an excellent YouTube presentation of a DIFFERENT prepoo making method. I tried using her method to make Lavishly Natural's Fenugreek Smoothie, and it rendered the batch super thick. I noticed just be accident that in ONE spot Lavishly Natural says to add fenugreek water to the batch (it didn't say that in the video, I don't believe. Sigh.). By the time I added water to the mix, it was around 24 or so ounces! Maybe more!
  • I ran out of time to blend the mixture, and once I returned home from work I couldn't run the blender (else wake up the boys). So trialing it will have to wait. Which is fine by me. :smile: If I'd gotten the recipe completed, I probably would have forced a trial on my whole head, when what I really need to do is PATCH TEST IT, since I have NO IDEA how fenugreek does my hair!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
That is WAY too much seeds. I only use two or three heaping table spoon. Mine is more liquid than a smoothie. I put it on dry hair.

Thanks for the feedback. I think her batch is designed to last for quite a while.

How many ounces of mix do you end up with? Besides the fenugreek seeds, what else do you put in your mix? TIA!

Keen

Thanks for the feedback. I think her batch is designed to last for quite a while.

How many ounces of mix do you end up with? Besides the fenugreek seeds, what else do you put in your mix? TIA!

I end up with about a cup or cup and a half. Before Ayuvedic, I was just using the seeds and water for an overnight prepoo. My last wash I mixed it with deep conditioner, AVJ and tea tree oil as a deep conditioner. Next time, I'm going back to prepoo and use it with with henna. Whenever I use it as a prepoo, I leave a little bit to add to my deep conditioner so I can detangle easy.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I end up with about a cup or cup and a half. Before Ayuvedic, I was just using the seeds and water for an overnight prepoo. My last wash I mixed it with deep conditioner, AVJ and tea tree oil as a deep conditioner. Next time, I'm going back to prepoo and use it with with henna. Whenever I use it as a prepoo, I leave a little bit to add to my deep conditioner so I can detangle easy.

Thanks!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
CurlyProverbz tea: I'm currently allowing my first brew to marinate.

I thought about using my Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea later today, but I'd rather apply these ingredients that don't require strong cleanser for removal. I'm trying to only use my chelating shampoo once a month.

This is so much easier, cheaper, and natural than the commercial such products I have. :up:

I'll let the tea marinate for at least 4 hours.

Recipe I used:
  • the amount of distilled water that filled my tea mug
  • 1 tablespoon of Napur 9 Henna
  • 1/2 a teaspoon of aloe Vera powder
  • 1/2 a teaspoon of amla powder
  • 1/2 a teaspoon of of brahmi powder
  • 1/2 a teaspoon of of shikakai powder
I'll pick up some lavendar lavender oil when I can and add it in. She says that part of its function is to act as a preservative.

Basically, I used her old recipe but added aloe Vera powder. She mentioned brahmi in the video but did not use it, but I went ahead and added it in, based on its reported benefits.

Last edited:

Saga

The Generous Queen
I'm liking the simplicity of my routine now. Oiling my scalp in the morning, spray my hair with the tea in the evening. Also like that this ayurvedic routine seems to be helping keep my dandruff away. Not sure if it's because of my clay washes or because of the oil. I wanna incorporate prepoos and henna gloss as well but am not sure what steps to take.

Do people typically shampoo then henna gloss? Or henna gloss, shampoo, condition? Or is henna gloss good as a stand alone treatment?

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I'm liking the simplicity of my routine now. Oiling my scalp in the morning, spray my hair with the tea in the evening. Also like that this ayurvedic routine seems to be helping keep my dandruff away. Not sure if it's because of my clay washes or because of the oil. I wanna incorporate prepoos and henna gloss as well but am not sure what steps to take.

Do people typically shampoo then henna gloss? Or henna gloss, shampoo, condition? Or is henna gloss good as a stand alone treatment?

I shampoo, henna gloss, then condition. The conditioner helps to remove any residual gloss.

Aggie

Mostly I shampoo, then pre poo, then henna gloss, then cowash the henna out of my hair and lastly I deep condition.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
CurlyProverbz tea: I'm currently allowing my first brew to marinate.

I thought about using my Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea later today, but I'd rather apply these ingredients that don't require strong cleanser for removal. I'm trying to only use my chelating shampoo once a month.

This is so much easier, cheaper, and natural than the commercial such products I have. :up:

I'll let the tea marinate for at least 4 hours.

Recipe I used:
  • the amount of distilled water that filled my tea mug
  • 1 tablespoon of Napur 9 Henna
  • 1/2 a teaspoon of aloe Vera powder
  • 1/2 a teaspoon of amla powder
  • 1/2 a teaspoon of of brahmi powder
  • 1/2 a teaspoon of of shikakai powder
I'll pick up some lavender oil when I can and add it in. She says that part of its function is to act as a preservative.

Basically, I used her old recipe but added aloe Vera powder. She mentioned brahmi in the video but did not use it, but I went ahead and added it in, based on its reported benefits.

I never picked up the lavender oil. So instead I poured 2 ounces of the tea into a tiny, little two-ounce spray bottle, added 3 drops of tea trea oil to it (she said we could try tea tree oil or other if we had no lavender oil), and added 1.25 mL of the Mango & Lime Vitamin A, D, and E Castor Oil that I just love the smell of.

You guys!!!!!!!

I applied this stuff to my naked, damp hair, and WHOAH! Instant strength and instant moisture. I almost felt like I was looking at and handling someone else's hair.

It was a little messy: When some of the tea ran down my face/neck, it was brown. I ended up jumping back in the shower for like 60 seconds, just to rinse off. Also, the mist/spritz got on my bathroom sink, leaving light brown splotches of water that I had to clean.

So far, I adoooooooore this tea as a liquid leave-in. Of course, I've only just used it and have not seen the results of my twist out. And no matter what, I'll need to keep trialing it to know its long term effects. But as far as initial impressions go: Mega, mega hit. As in, I wish I'd started doing this YEARS ago. My hair felt so strong!

(Photos enlarge upon click.)

WP_20171020_004.jpg

WP_20171020_003 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Aggie

I used my growth oil to massage my scalp last night before applying a henna gloss which I slept in last night. Now I have indigo on and about to cowash it out. I have to head out the house to run some errands so most likely will apply my growth oil again this evening when I return.

Aggie

CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Tea got me singing like Tina Turner sang "We don't need another hero":

"I don't need another leeeeeeeeeave-in . . . I don't need another refresh spray . . ."

Thanks for sharing @YvetteWithJoy

I have not yet made the tea. Now looks like I have to go deal with that sometime this weekend :look:. Y'all have me a little excited to go and make this :yep:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Today is wash day, so I:

1. Skipped prepoo, since I used a pomade on my length a few days ago.
  2. Exfoliated my scalp with AHA liquid in diluted Ion Hard Water shampoo
  3. Applied henna to my hair and scalp. I left it in for 3 hours and used a heat cap. The mix was 400 grams of Nupur 9 herb, 100 grams of Jamila, distilled water and lemon juice.
  4. Rinsed out henna with Renpure Bamboo Coconut conditioner.
  5. Applied my DC mix of Renpure Argan Oil conditioner and DIY Ayurvedic Oil. I'm leaving this in for a couple hours while I straighten up the house
  6. I'll use my henna tea under my leave in and styler, then braid my hair up in 5 braids, applying ITDF Olive Conditioning Pomade to my ends.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
My hair days are turned around a little bit this week so I am:

Doing a hot oil treatment on my hair without steam today with my CP oils. I did a nice scalp massage which I need to make sure I do this daily again. Just going to let this sit on my hair for awhile with a plastic cap.

I plan on using Elucence volume shampoo (the clarifying poo) followed by a nice heavy protein treatment (I really need this). I will do the henna (cassia) gloss on Wednesday night this week.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy I tried that fenugreek smoothie you posted. I added cinnamon and coconut oil to the mix. My hair felt very strong yet moisturized. I decided to forgo my henna gloss because of it. Thank you for posting it.
How did the smoothie work for you?

Oh, thanks for sharing! YW! :smile: Yay! It's good to know it's a good recipe.

Mine is still sitting in the fridge. I'm DEFINITELY going to try it though: The reported benefits of long term use of fenugreek are just what I want! :yep:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I just massaged the CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Growth Oil into my scalp.

Also, I was finally able to put my huge measuring cup of Lavishly Natural - inspired DIY Fenugreek Smoothie into the blender to try to blend in some of the leftover fenugreek water to get the consistency right.

(I had added marshmallow root and slippery elm to my recipe.) So tonight, I kept on gradually adding fenugreek water to the super thick batch until I got a more smoothie-like consistency. It didn't smell bad, but like faint, chalky maple syrup. So I added a teaspoon of the CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Growth Oil to it, and the scent barely altered. I added another teaspoon and just stopped there.

I poured the fenugreek smoothie into an empty Shea Moisture hipo masque jar (my usual prepoo). That made it look all authentic and everything! LOL! Had me feeling like I was really doing something with this product making stuff. :giggle: All I need is some optiphen preservative. :smile:
Between the fenugreek, slippery elm, marshmallow root, and oil, this stuff is incredibly slippery.

V__675A.jpg

Aggie

CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Tea got me singing like Tina Turner sang "We don't need another hero":

"I don't need another leeeeeeeeeave-in . . . I don't need another refresh spray . . ."

Just made mine last night and it's still infusing. I might leave it for one more night before I strain and use. Also I think I will add some essential oils in mine for the scent.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Just made mine last night and it's still infusing. I might leave it for one more night before I strain and use. Also I think I will add some essential oils in mine for the scent.

Yay! You are on it. It's a very easy recipe. I really hope your hair loves it. :yep:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I've got Lavishly Natural's Fenugreek Smoothie in my hair right now (I added marshmallow root and slippery elm).

It is an amazing detangler. And with it IN at the moment my hair has GREAT definition.

However, I think I might forego this: It's slipperiness is reminding me of my staple Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion. I'm already going to be making the CP oil and the CP tea. I'm probably going to also be making the CP henna gloss. The tea and gloss are super simple, and even the oil is not too, too involved. However, unless the FENUGREEK in the smoothie has a very unique affect on my hair, then I might like not having to bother with making it since I have the CJ Smoothing Lotion.

I don't even know if I want to take the month it would take to trial the smoothie. I think it largely has to do with the faint maple smell and the few tiny little particles I see in my hair. Both are making me want to rinse out very soon. Normally, I would just slap a processing cap and wig cap on my head, don a wig, and bounce of to work. Instead, I'm about to hop in the shower to wash this stuff out.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I've got Lavishly Natural's Fenugreek Smoothie in my hair right now (I added marshmallow root and slippery elm).

It is an amazing detangler. And with it IN at the moment my hair has GREAT definition.

However, I think I might forego this: It's slipperiness is reminding me of my staple Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion. I'm already going to be making the CP oil and the CP tea. I'm probably going to also be making the CP henna gloss. The tea and gloss are super simple, and even the oil is not too, too involved. However, unless the FENUGREEK in the smoothie has a very unique affect on my hair, then I might like not having to bother with making it since I have the CJ Smoothing Lotion.

I don't even know if I want to take the month it would take to trial the smoothie. I think it largely has to do with the faint maple smell and the few tiny little particles I see in my hair. Both are making me want to rinse out very soon. Normally, I would just slap a processing cap and wig cap on my head, don a wig, and bounce of to work. Instead, I'm about to hop in the shower to wash this stuff out.

Let me know how it goes. I think the left over batch I have with be added to my henna gloss. I'm hoping that will mitigate any left over husks populating my curls.

Aggie

Whoa! Hey little mama! It's your birthday today. Had to stop a minute to wish you great birthday so here goes - Happy Birthday to you,:birthday3: to you, :birthday2: to you.

Last edited: