2018 Hair Goals

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:wavey:

Hi, all!

What are your hair-related goals for this upcoming year? What hair-related challenges/threads are you participating in this year?

This isn't a challenge or anything, it's just a space to get organized, make a record, etc. You may have noted several of your goals in various threads/challenges/spaces across this forum. Here is a place to note/collect everything in one place. Then periodically -- such as once a month or once a quarter -- you can check back in and take a look and let it inform you as you proceed.

Do you have
  • regimen goals,
  • challenge participation goals,
  • consistency goals,
  • product usage goals,
  • purchasing goals,
  • budgeting goals,
  • style mastery goals,
  • protective styling goals,
  • length goals,
  • trimming schedule goals,
  • scalp massaging goals,
  • growth aid usage goals,
  • inversion goals,
  • supplement-taking goals,
  • water intake goals,
  • growth goals,
  • length goals, and/or
  • retention goals,
  • etc.?
Happy hair growing, all!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hair-related challenges this year:
  • Nutrition, Exercise, and Water for Hair Growth Challenge 2018
  • 2 Inches in 4 Months Challenge 2018
  • BSL/MBL Challenge 2018
  • CurlyProverbz-Inspired Regimen 2018
  • Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2018 (lurking it, but working it)
  • Hip/Tailbone (for the ladies and the inspiration :smile:)
Trimming:
  • I hope to go in for a professional trim once a quarter or once every 4 months.
Scalp massaging:
  • I am almost convinced that scalp massaging is what led to earlier hair growth spurts for me. I want to do vigorous scalp massages when washing (like my hair dresser who grew my hair out did). I also want to do scalp oil massages 3 times a week (about every other day) with the CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Growth Oil.
Regimen:
  • I want to try Chicoro's activator + shea butter + no comb regimen to see how my ends, tangling, and moisture-levels respond.
  • I want to stick to one wash day a week (with a midweek cowash as/if needed). (Last year I was so busy trialing new products that I was doing full wash days quite often. Shouldn't be an issue this year. I am in love with the products I've discovered.)
  • I want to pre-detangle and do other wise things from the wash day demo'd in the video linked at the end of this post.
  • Eventually I want to get to the point where post-DC I'm applying just ONE product before twisting up my hair to air dry. I'd like to move all the time I spend layering products to time spent on an ends care regimen and on scalp massaging.
ETA: For February 2018, I will be trialing Chicoro's curl activator and whipped shea butter regimen:

Guess I'll start out with this layering:
  • HairVeda Red Tea Serum on ends
  • Taliah Waajid's Protective Mist Bodifier on length (this will be my "Scurl")
  • HairVeda Red Tea Heavy Cream on length
  • Jakeala Shea Amla Parfait on ends
  • Black Castor and Flaxseed Oil Eco Style Gel on length
  • Install 8 or 10 sleek twists (band the twists, wear the twist out, retwist and reband at night and wear under Walgreens "loc sock" -like thingy)
If I stick to one wash a week, this isn't bad, I guess. I had dreams of applying one product post-DC. Ah, well. I'll table it until later.​

Consistency:

• STYLING: I want to dry in twists and retwist at night so that my hair stays virtually stretched all the time. The fear of too much manipulation due to retwisting at night didn't play out, and it is WAY better (less "manipulative") than having to constantly brush out tangles from shrinkage.
  • SUPPLEMENTS:
    1. I want to take my iron every night.
    2. I want to take collagen every night in a mug of grape juice.
    3. I want to take my multivitamin every night.
Styling:
  • At least once a month or so, I want to use my Revlon One-step Dryer and Styler to blow dry my hair so that I can do a (flat) twist out on stretched hair.
Thank you, @Sharpened, for sharing this bomb wash day video with me! :kiss:

Last edited:

spacetygrss

Cool thread! :yep:

OVERALL:
My goal is to continue to K.I.S.S. I've been natural since 2001 and cut my hair back to a TWA 2/2017. I'm regrowing my hair out and enjoying the journey.
I'm officially in the Shea Butter challenge and I guess the CurlyProverbs Inspired Challenge.
I'm lurking in the SL and APL 2018 Challenges, as well as the luscious healthy ends challenge.

Specifics:
-I plan to trim every 4 months.
-Daily Scalp Massages.
-Keep up with my vitamins (I take Country Life, MSM and Bamboo pills).
-I already drink a lot of water and work out. I'll plan to continue that.
-Continue with my Ayurveda-based oils/powders, henna, etc.
-Weekly DC, with protein at least every other week (I'm HiPo and NEED the protein DC for health).
-Low-manipulation styles such as twists the vast majority of the time.
- Moisturize my hair and sleep with my scarf every night.
-I'm hoping for full SL by the end of the year. APL for my nape by the end of the year. My nape is grazing SL right now.

I may add other stuff, but when I do that, typically my hair thrives.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
So many things to focus on.....But I've narrowed it down to these simple goals.

1) My plan is to increase my hair density OVER hair length.

This involves:
Eating healthy veggies and protein.
Regular exercise for the best overall blood flow. (I tend to do hot yoga during winter and will be adding tabata/Crossfit style workouts)
Regular scalp massages (by hand or using battery operated scalp massager)
Daily drinking Bamboo Leaf tea
Water drinking
Supplements: Liquid multivitamin, Fish oil, liquid biotin, Complex B vitamin, Ferrofood (low dose iron) and a vitamin D3

Regimen: Ayurvedic powders, henna/cassia glosses, aloe vera and powder masks, using rhassoul clay masks
2) Learn how to style my hair beyond a bun or curly loose hair.

3) Pick challenges that I can reasonably keep up with.

2018 Curlyproverbz Challenge
2018 Shea Butter Regimen​

Evolving78

Challenges
WL
BSL-MBL
Setting to Success

My own personal challenge is to try to stretch my relaxer touch ups

Stay consistent with roller setting
Stick to professional quality products formulated for chemically treated hair.
drink more water and green tea
Excerise twice a week.
Take my vitamins
Get more fruit in

Jade Feria

My primary goal for 2018 is R.E.T.E.N.T.I.O.N!

Challenges
2018 Delightfully Delicious Deep Conditioning Challenge
2018 Curly Proverbz-Inspired Regimen Challenge
Shea Growth and Retention Regimen 2018
Hip, TBL, & Beyond Challenge 2018-2019

Product Usage/Purchasing/Budgeting Goals
Use what I have. No new hair product purchases until November

Length/Retention Goals
Short term: WL
Long Term: Full TBL
Minimize breakage and shedding.
Maintain schedule of water intake, supplements, and growth aides for max growth.
Moisturize & seal with Shea butter more regularly

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
My 2018 goals:

Transition into using my own hair products so I'm using up my current stash.

Be gentle with my nape and figure out how to retain length there so it can reach the length of the rest of my hair.

Challenges:
Setting to Success
Hip/Tailbone
Tea, Clay, ACV, AVJ, Ayurveda etc
Shea Growth & Retention

My 2018 hair & overall theme:
Trust Nature!

Lute

2018 Hair Goals

No more combs. Going to finger detangle only. After all the protective styling I've been doing which are two strand twists I don't see progress in my length. So I'm going to try it out and see what happens.

I feel like I'm literally giving myself a hair trim every time I run a comb through it.

Deep Condition more often and find a heating cap to enhance it a bit further.

Also to add, after reading the Shea butter thread, I'm going to start sealing my hair with shea buter from root to tip.

Last edited:

Alta Angel

Goal:
Solid BSL or MBL stretched
Growing strong healthy edges

Challenges:
Steaming for 2018
Braid/Bun/Twist for 2018

Mini/Medi-twists have changed the game for my hair styling, maintenance, and retention. I am going to continue wearing mini-twists for 3 weeks and then wear a twist out for 2-4 days and repeat the cycle.

Wash:
Every 4 weeks with SM Manuka Honey Shampoo.

Steam:
Every 2 weeks with Elucence MB, or modified leave-in with AVJ

Maintenance:
Twist with combo of SM JBCO Leave-In and Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Moisturize twists with African Royale Braid Spray and SM Hair Milk 4xs per week.
Sleep in scarf (need to find a better one than Walmart brand)
Protect ends and oil edges with JBCO

Will add more as necessary.

Jan 2018 Bottom of BSL
Length check 2018.jpg

Last edited:

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
My SisterLocks were established 7/28-29 of 2017. At my 5th re-ti this past Saturday, my consultant told me I'm going to loc fast :yay:, so my 1st goal this upcoming year is to be fully locd by my anniversary. My 2nd goal is for my shortest locs (crown, as my hair is layered) to be shoulder length. Right now they fall to the side at the top of my ear, and forward to the tip of my nose.

How I'll get there:
Well if on average 6" of growth per year can be expected and I get this growth, I will reach my length goal. To help I plan to re-adopt the Inversion Method w/o oil until I am fully locd. I already use Aloe Vera juice but may incorporate its gel as aloe "can improve the health of the scalp and lengthen the growth phase of hair." Source: Google

As far as my goal to be fully locd, I will continue on my current regimen since I got rave reviews from my consultant about taking care of my hair. I cleanse w/either Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle and/or Cush Cosmetics mango shampoo bar (LOVE!). The SisterLock shampoo made my scalp itch, so I was one-and-done. After spraying my scalp w/aloe vera juice, I spray on an herbal tea mix which helps prevent shedding (caffeinated green tea) and promotes strength and growth. I will edit when I get all the ingredients.

I think I'm good to go. Good luck to everyone on reaching their goals!!

EDIT#1: For both goals, I plan to regularly incorporate Irish Moss/Sea Moss into my diet by adding it to my daily smoothies. It is a good, natural source of collagen which helps as "having a sufficient amount of collagen in the hair shaft, strengthens the hair follicles and improves hair growth. Eating collagen for hair growth can also improve the overall volume of your hair by increasing the diameter of each individual hair, thereby giving your flow a fuller appearance." Source: https://www.nutrafol.com/blog/you-can-use-collagen-for-hair-growth/

Last edited:

MaeveCarmen

My goal is to reach tailbone length (may take me the full 12 months).
I want to replace all my products to black-owned or make my own.
I also plan to eventually add hair vitamins to my daily routine...but theres just so much on the market Im not sure which I should buy.

SAPNK

It would be great to achieve MBL by the end of 2018. Based on my calculations, I need 14 inches to be mid back length so, if I don't have any breakage all year (unlikely) I'll reach my goal.

Right now, I'm in the APL and BSL challenges.

I want to protective style 90% of the time. (I notice it's harder to participate on the forum when my hair is put away most of the time, because I'm not really dealing with it. So sorry ahead of time if I'm not active in the challenges.)

This year I'm actually going to develop a real regimen and try to be patient with my hair.
I could stand to pay more attention to my hair and what it likes and doesn't like. I've never really put much thought into products and how they could help me if I just tried them and found ones that work. If my hair is acting up (lately, all my twist outs have been awful), I blame my hair and assume that it's just doing what it do, instead of thinking about what might be wrong and trying to fix it with different products or techniques.

I became a member here around this time last year. I don't think I would've had the growth that I did, had I not joined. Looking through my progress pics and seeing that it actually grew and changed after being stalled all those years is really awesome. This year will be even better! :D

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
My goals:

o Stop doing so much. I'm in so many challenges this upcoming year, that I had to use the Microsoft Snipping Tool to take a snapshot of my Watched Threads. I may have to drop out of some them that seem to overlap.

o Lock down my regimen. I have posted in other threads that my regimen is subject to change as I'm trying to figure out what my hair likes at my current length. I just want to find my staple products period, which brings me to my next goal

o No more PJism. While I tried to ensure that every BF purchase was justified, some were not. I just hope I find a gem.

o Efficient exercise regimen. While I am military, our exercise regimen is more for conditioning and now that I'm older, I need to do more to keep my weight down.

o Just stay consistent.

o Challenges:
-Shea Growth and Retention Regimen
-Setting to Success 2018 Challenge
-2018 CurlyProverbs-inspired Regimen
-APL 2018
-2018 Wig Thread
-Luscious Healthy Ends 2018
-2 Inches in 4 months
-No Heat Challenge
-Nutrition, Exercise, and Water for Hair Growth Challenge

YvetteWithJoy

On break
My SisterLocks were established 7/28-29 of 2017. At my 5th re-ti this past Saturday, my consultant told me I'm going to loc fast :yay:, so my 1st goal this upcoming year is to be fully locd by my anniversary. My 2nd goal is for my shortest locs (crown, as my hair is layered) to be shoulder length. Right now they fall to the side at the top of my ear, and forward to the tip of my nose.

How I'll get there:
Well if on average 6" of growth per year can be expected and I get this growth, I will reach my length goal. To help I plan to re-adopt the Inversion Method w/o oil until I am fully locd. I already use Aloe Vera juice but may incorporate its gel as aloe "can improve the health of the scalp and lengthen the growth phase of hair." Source: Google

As far as my goal to be fully locd, I will continue on my current regimen since I got rave reviews from my consultant about taking care of my hair. I cleanse w/either Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle and/or Cush Cosmetics mango shampoo bar (LOVE!). The SisterLock shampoo made my scalp itch, so I was one-and-done. After spraying my scalp w/aloe vera juice, I spray on an herbal tea mix which helps prevent shedding (caffeinated green tea) and promotes strength and growth. I will edit when I get all the ingredients.

I think I'm good to go. Good luck to everyone on reaching their goals!!

EDIT#1: For both goals, I plan to regularly incorporate Irish Moss/Sea Moss into my diet by adding it to my daily smoothies. It is a good, natural source of collagen which helps as "having a sufficient amount of collagen in the hair shaft, strengthens the hair follicles and improves hair growth. Eating collagen for hair growth can also improve the overall volume of your hair by increasing the diameter of each individual hair, thereby giving your flow a fuller appearance." Source: https://www.nutrafol.com/blog/you-can-use-collagen-for-hair-growth/

That is good to know about collagen. TFS. :smile:

shanelallyn30

I am definitely transitioning into using my own diy products. It saves so much money and you can make a crap load of it and it lasts a long time. Most importantly you can ensure your hair is getting the best ingredients.

My 2018 goals:

Transition into using my own hair products so I'm using up my current stash.

Be gentle with my nape and figure out how to retain length there so it can reach the length of the rest of my hair.

Challenges:
Setting to Success
Hip/Tailbone
Tea, Clay, ACV, AVJ, Ayurveda etc
Shea Growth & Retention

My 2018 hair & overall theme:
Trust Nature!

fifigirl

Ultimate Goal- Healthy waist length hair

Challenges
Delightfully delicious deep conditioning
Protective styling
Luscious ends
2 inches in 4 months
Curly Proverbs ayurvedic challenge
Waist length

Regimen
Trim at every texlax session but only 1/4th of an inch
Wash 2-3x a week and deep condition at every wash
Use some form of ayurvedic treatment weekly
5-10 minutes scalp massage daily
1 hour walks or some form of exercise daily
Inversion every month
Be consistent with taking my vitamins (Manetabolism plus)
Try and eat healthy

hothair

Answers below

What are your hair-related goals for this upcoming year?

BSL for July/Aug. Waist length for December.

What hair-related challenges/threads are you participating in this year?

I joined one but as usual don't remember which I hope to get tagged though.

This isn't a challenge or anything, it's just a space to get organized, make a record, etc. You may have noted several of your goals in various threads/challenges/spaces across this forum. Here is a place to note/collect everything in one place. Then periodically -- such as once a month or once a quarter -- you can check back in and take a look and let it inform you as you proceed.

Please tag me.

Do you have
  • regimen goals: sticking to washing/cowashing twice a week. Vitamins: prenatal, hair vitamins with biotin, vit c, b vitamins, occcasional cod liver.
  • challenge participation goals: single strand knots I intend to tackle by LOC on my ends.
  • consistency goals: I have been good with this, no styling just two buns or plaits mostly. When I have energy a twist out.
  • product usage goals: finish up products I have before purchasing another.
  • purchasing goals: sticking to my products until they finish. If I don't like a product, I augment with oils etc to get the right consistency, finish that then switch to another product.
  • budgeting goals: this never works for me. Just only buy when products run out.
  • style mastery goals: KISS twist outs, buns and french braids.
  • protective styling goals: see above thought about wigs maybe by the summer
  • length goals: BSL for July
  • trimming schedule goals: Trim in March
  • scalp massaging goals: at least nightly
  • growth aid usage goals: mixed my oils and started using so far so good. I don't want oily so stuck with "dry" oils like jojoba, mustard seed etc.
  • inversion goals: no patience.
  • supplement-taking goals: mentioned above hair vits, vit c, b complex, cod liver, antenatal
  • water intake goals: 1.5 ltr a day
  • growth goals: at least .5 a month

Please tag when its time for updates

Great thread as usual!

VictoriousBrownFlower

My goals for 2018 are
Being consistent with my crown thickening regimen.
Adding regular protein treatments with a concoction of 2 parts neutral protein filler and one part my regular dc.
Only trimming as needed instead of being scissor happy like I was this yr.
Staying in my protective style the majority of the time
Testing the waters with some new products (I'm mainly interested in apb's stuff)

Goal length for the end of the yr is bra strap or longer.

Regimen for 2018
First shampoo with sulfate rich shampoo to clarify
Second shampoo with trader joes nourish spa shampoo to impart moisture
Dc majority of the time with moisturizing dc with heat for 30 min
Dc with protein treatment as needed with heat for 30 min
Rinse out and pat out excess water
Do loc method by:
Apply leave in to damp hair followed by jbco and butter/oil rich hair cream

As far as challenges I'm doing personal challenges instead of joining one because I'm never consistent with them.

Daina

2018 Goals:
  • Continue to stay prayed up and move in accordance with God's will for my life
  • Get back on my workout and healthy eating and water drinking grind. Really fell off the last couple of months
  • Minimize life stress...
  • Remove final heat damage from ends ~2 inches left all around. Should be there by April/May
  • Maintain at WL till damage is gone
  • Growth goal is full HL by YE
  • Continue incorporating ayurveda...currently glossing, hoping to move to full strength treatments in the coming months
  • Make more DIY oils and bitters
Challenges/Subscribed Threads:
  • HL - TBL challenge
  • CP Inspired Regimen
  • Lucious Healthy Ends
Considering the Shea Butter challenge and lurking/looking in a few others.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
In 2018, I'm 'Glamorously Beautiful'.

The 2017 Wig Challenge helped me to learn and taught me what it looks like for me, and what I can do for 'me' to be glamorous and beautiful. My hair is a big part of that.
I now understand how to have congruency with being glamorously
beautiful all the while continuing with
actions to support
my hair
goals.
Length Goal:
  • 6 inches retained all around
  • 30 inches of hair in crown sections, 27 inches of hair in non-crown sections of hair

Condition of Hair:
  • Minimum of knots
  • Minimum of split ends
  • Thick full ends

Trims:
  • Small trims with hair in my braids if needed
  • Wear my hair heat straightened and out in July 2018, small trim then

How in terms of Process and Products:
Process:
  • No Comb Method - continue this for Year 2 in 2018
  • Ends Routine - continue to perform this every day
  • Inversion - continue with this monthly
Products:
  • Shampoo: Baby Body Wash
  • Conditioner: DIY Coconut Conditioner with Shea Butter
  • Leave In:
    • Glycerin Based Product
    • Shea Butter Mix
  • Protein:
    • Infusium or Neutral Protein Filler after each regular wash
    • Whipped Aphogee 2 Step Protein Every 2 Months

Last edited:

BlackRinse

I want to grow 8" this year

I am doing the BSL/MBL challenge and the 2018 Wig Challenge

I will be using megatek I might even add MN to it.
- I will also from time to time use Wild Growth Hair Oil.

I will continue drinking my bamboo leaf tea, as well as taking the supplements.

I deep condition 2-3x week w/my steamer.

Last edited:

TLC1020

My hair related goals for 2018 is to retain length by keeping it simple, wearing protective styles and keeping the manipulation to a minimum.. Right now my hair is a bun and i'm in the apl 2018 challenge so my efforts of protecting my ends will be key.. The only thing is when I get my hair relaxed I like to wear it down, so I'm going stretch my relaxers longer..

Blessed&higlyflavoured

I want between 5-7 inches this coming year
I spent the a long weekend on a girls trip with a friend who has hip length hair. She's indian. If we weren't going anywhere, ie just hanging around the hotel or casual, sbe didn't touch her hair at all. I on the other hand ...
I realised that even though my hair is in a protective style 99% percent of the time (in twist with a bit of marley hair added for fullness and length), I still play in my hair an awful lot.
Just putting it up or down. Checking it's still there, I don't know what?!

So my Hair goal is to not touch my hair unless its absolutely necessary ie mid week moisture and washdays only.
and to wear my head scarf as soon as I step in the door.

If I do that and keep up what I've been doing so fair I think I'll see improvement !

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
I want between 5-7 inches this coming year
I spent the a long weekend on a girls trip with a friend who has hip length hair. She's indian. If we weren't going anywhere, ie just hanging around the hotel or casual, sbe didn't touch her hair at all. I on the other hand ...
I realised that even though my hair is in a protective style 99% percent of the time (in twist with a bit of marley hair added for fullness and length), I still play in my hair an awful lot.
Just putting it up or down. Checking it's still there, I don't know what?!

So my Hair goal is to not touch my hair unless its absolutely necessary ie mid week moisture and washdays only.
and to wear my head scarf as soon as I step in the door.

If I do that and keep up what I've been doing so fair I think I'll see improvement !

You do twist using marley hair...? I would love to see it. I want to do the same thing...

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
Hair-related challenges this year:
  • Nutrition, Exercise, and Water for Hair Growth Challenge 2018
  • 2 Inches in 4 Months Challenge 2018
  • CurlyProverbz-Inspired Regimen 2018
  • Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2018 (lurking it, but working it)

Hip/Tailbone is my goal for 2018...

I will stay in protective styles. I will take my hair down every 2 weeks. Deep Condition with heat, protien treat during the times my hair is down. Along with CLAY treatment 1x a month, Henna 1-2x a month. I will be using the LCO method to secure my moisture. Making sure to add whipped shea to my hair when braided. Sealing the ends worth oil every time Im in the bathroom and see it.
I will also be doing a vitamin regamin as well. I need to loos 8-10lbs this year for my October wedding. I need to get on it. I need 6 inches this year minimum.... (About to turn myself upside down right now and invert/massage while Im thinking about it!)

kupenda

I’m aiming for APL a second time this year. But only with fresh ends. I’ve been trimming off damaged hair (about an inch per month) and only have another inch to go. My hair is about collar bone length right now.

I also plan to baby this poor crown of mine all year. I have more splits and the hair is just generally unhappy. I bought some protein treatments (bekura and aphogee) and will stick to Trader Joe’s for my moisture needs.

I will be doing the inversion method monthly, sulfur growth oil massages, weekly cowashing (I can’t do gym hair for days and days) and protective styling to reach my goal. Plus one more good trim in January