2018 Hair Goals

Evolving78

I really want to cut all the way down to 1 inch of hair and start all over again :eek2:. I'm really tempted but trying hard to stay away from the scissors.
Hey are you off of the ledge yet? I decided to try to hold on this year and work through this serious setback I’m having, but you do what make you feel your best! I normally would cut all of my hair off at this point. I mean I have bald patches throughout my head! Who holds on to that?!?! But if I cut, I will do it when I get ready and not when a stylist tells me so!
I got some good products that should help me see my way through this!

FadingDelilah

I just want to find a regimen that works for me. You know - that regimen that is so perfect for all your needs that it sticks with you for years and years to come and when people ask how you grew to waist or tbl, you tell them "I just do..." because its all so simple and easy and obvious what you should be doing now. One that is (in order of importance): quick, gives me soft, manageable hair and chemical-free. Oh, and cheap. Lol.

I also want to retain my length and maybe grow 6 inches this year instead of the usual 4. Lastly, I want my hair to fill back in in the back where shedding thinned it out and get rid of the sudden, random scalp issues that I've been dealing with for a few months now (I don't know whats causing these problems :oops:). I'd be happy with 4 inches if that hair fills back in. Shoot, I'd be happy with 0 inches if it does. This is my first time having these issues so I'm scared things won't go back to normal, you know? So I'll take 0 for a recovery. I'd be irked to pass a whole year with no growth, but at the same time, I would look back and be glad that it wasn't something serious.

I also deeply hope anyone else dealing with hair loss/scalp issues has a full recovery also.

Anyways, happy hair growing, ya'll!

Aggie

Hey are you off of the ledge yet? I decided to try to hold on this year and work through this serious setback I’m having, but you do what make you feel your best! I normally would cut all of my hair off at this point. I mean I have bald patches throughout my head! Who holds on to that?!?! But if I cut, I will do it when I get ready and not when a stylist tells me so!
I got some good products that should help me see my way through this!
No hon, not off the ledge yet :lol:. I decided to take it maybe 2 inches at a time until it looks super great again. It was not so bad after I used some henna on it last weekend so I'm good for now. Whew! That was close though!

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Heading into the month of February and hair is 'on the grow'. Caught a passing glimpse of myself and my braids in the mirror of a home furnishings store. My braid was hanging over my hoodie and hung past my armpit. I will continue with my current process.

Nothing to change or tweak for February!

Evolving78

No hon, not off the ledge yet :lol:. I decided to take it maybe 2 inches at a time until it looks super great again. It was not so bad after I used some henna on it last weekend so I'm good for now. Whew! That was close though!
I struggle everyday not to just cut my hair and get a pixie cut, or a bob. I even thought about getting it cut short on top, and keeping it long at the bottom, like a mullet cut. Yeah like bring that back again! Lol

fifigirl

My Update for the month:

Regimen
Trim at every texlax session but only 1/4th of an inch - Haven't texlaxed so no trims for now till April
Wash 2-3x a week and deep condition at every wash - Been washing once or twice a week as i decided on reducing friction of my hair for better length retention
Use some form of ayurvedic treatment weekly - Yes i am doing this daily
5-10 minutes scalp massage daily - Need to get back to these as i haven't done a scalp massage in about 2 weeks
1 hour walks or some form of exercise daily - Doing daily exercise in the form of Insanity workouts and once or twice a week i attend power yoga classes
Inversion every month - None for the month of January.....Will start this week
Be consistent with taking my vitamins (Manetabolism plus)- I have only missed one day's pill this month
Try and eat healthy - Been eating healthy keto friendly meals

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Answers below

What are your hair-related goals for this upcoming year?

BSL for July/Aug. Waist length for December.

What hair-related challenges/threads are you participating in this year?

I joined one but as usual don't remember which I hope to get tagged though.

This isn't a challenge or anything, it's just a space to get organized, make a record, etc. You may have noted several of your goals in various threads/challenges/spaces across this forum. Here is a place to note/collect everything in one place. Then periodically -- such as once a month or once a quarter -- you can check back in and take a look and let it inform you as you proceed.

Please tag me.

Do you have
  • regimen goals: sticking to washing/cowashing twice a week. Vitamins: prenatal, hair vitamins with biotin, vit c, b vitamins, occcasional cod liver.
  • challenge participation goals: single strand knots I intend to tackle by LOC on my ends.
  • consistency goals: I have been good with this, no styling just two buns or plaits mostly. When I have energy a twist out.
  • product usage goals: finish up products I have before purchasing another.
  • purchasing goals: sticking to my products until they finish. If I don't like a product, I augment with oils etc to get the right consistency, finish that then switch to another product.
  • budgeting goals: this never works for me. Just only buy when products run out.
  • style mastery goals: KISS twist outs, buns and french braids.
  • protective styling goals: see above thought about wigs maybe by the summer
  • length goals: BSL for July
  • trimming schedule goals: Trim in March
  • scalp massaging goals: at least nightly
  • growth aid usage goals: mixed my oils and started using so far so good. I don't want oily so stuck with "dry" oils like jojoba, mustard seed etc.
  • inversion goals: no patience.
  • supplement-taking goals: mentioned above hair vits, vit c, b complex, cod liver, antenatal
  • water intake goals: 1.5 ltr a day
  • growth goals: at least .5 a month

Please tag when its time for updates

Great thread as usual!

Tagging you, @hothair. :kiss:

Do you have an update?

hothair

Thanks for the tag @YvetteWithJoy :heart:

So my update:

Do you have
  • regimen goals: Been nonsense with co-washing. I clarified and did a quick condition last week was needed. My hair had been loaded with products. I hope to do another clarifying wash and a deep masque treatment before the weekend
  • Vitamins: prenatal, hair vit c, b vitamins, cod liver. Finished the hair vitamins starting another that works for skin as well.
  • challenge participation goals: I got a brand new pair of scissors for a trim. My hair is in plants so using my oil blend on my ends nightly
  • consistency goals: I need to dc asap. My styling is abysmal I've even started rocking scarves sometimes (hangs head in shame)
  • product usage goals: I've only bought hair products when I finish the previous so yay me.
  • purchasing goals: Trying a new product line when it finally gets here will update once I start using.
  • budgeting goals: not too bad with this so far.
  • style mastery goals: bought 2 wigs I never use, don't do too many twistouts due to laziness and ssk. I need to tweak my bob wig and lighten the colour up a bit.
  • protective styling goals: see above
  • length goals: Still on this I think I'm just below APL, might need a trim will know when I straighten next week. Targeting BSL for July
  • trimming schedule goals: Now want to trim this month cause of ssk but we'll see.
  • scalp massaging goals: I've been consistent with this nightly.
  • growth aid usage goals: Still using my oil blend even on eye brows do far do good.
  • inversion goals: nah
  • supplement-taking goals: mentioned above - switching to hair and skin vits, vit c, b complex, cod liver, antenatal
  • water intake goals: 1.5 ltr a day - fail. Trying to be more consistent with this still.
  • growth goals: at least .5 a month

So yeah doing okay aside from styling and not dcing. Could be better with water intake. Will do a pic for myself to track growth hopefully today.

guyaneseyankee

My 2018 hair goals are to reach full APL. I think I can do it. I also want to continue with deep conditioning and sealing my hair with my shea butter mix.
Keeping it simple works for me. I.e puff and call it a day
Since the cold, I have been trying to do styles that don't require wetting my hair in my morning shower . But once the weather breaks, FOR ME, watering my hair means healthy growth .

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Heading into the month of February and hair is 'on the grow'. Caught a passing glimpse of myself and my braids in the mirror of a home furnishings store. My braid was hanging over my hoodie and hung past my armpit. I will continue with my current process.

ah there's something about having hair that hangs past the hood part of a hoody. I remember in my long relaxed days I always wore hoodies while being MBL.

I don't know how I had hair on my head now that I think about it. Did not ever protective style back then.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
My 2018 goals:

Transition into using my own hair products so I'm using up my current stash.

Be gentle with my nape and figure out how to retain length there so it can reach the length of the rest of my hair.

Challenges:
Setting to Success
Hip/Tailbone
Tea, Clay, ACV, AVJ, Ayurveda etc
Shea Growth & Retention

My 2018 hair & overall theme:
Trust Nature!

For the month of January, I worked hard towards my goals.

I didn't use any products outside of what I made at home. I discovered treatments at full strength done pre-wash (every other wash) worked well. I made a lovely oat milk treatment and a banana amla treatment. The conditioner I made (with btms 50) worked best as a moisturizer. I got rid of over 20 store bought/online premade products. I have left in my stash: a few Trader Joe's TTT conditioners, some Live Clean conditioners, 4 Hairveda's Methi (step 1) protein treatments and a bottle of Neutral Protein Filler. I'll continue to use the first 2 to rinse out my Ayurvedic treatments (I'm actually ok to keep them around for that purpose as to not waste the conditioners I make). I'll also keep the NPF around for when I need a nice lil pick me up of protein...but I'll continue to transition out of the Hairveda methi. It performs well but I can't continue to accept the mediocre slip.

I have been treating my nape like delicate silk. I can't wait to do my Spring length check on it to see how it is progressing.

Evolving78

Ok I need to work on cutting my shampooing down. I need get back to washing once a week.
So I washed my hair yesterday. I need to work on m&s lightly. I also will not be oiling my scalp daily anymore. Just twice a week. This is to prevent buildup.
I used Mizani coconut souffle. I forgot I liked this stuff back in the day. I use about a nickel size all over on average, like I lightly swipe my finger across the product. I never dig, or scoop out. I used WGO yellow bottle mixed with lavender to seal. I used the Mizani H2O night time treatment and that did help with breakage.
Here I was buying all of these products, thinking some magic product was gonna fix my dryness.
I’m like I have so many really good products, but nothing is cutting it!
I may use a rinse out conditioner in between when it gets warmer, but I won’t be using it to clean my scalp.

faithVA

I will be back sometime this week and complete my post. Getting this in my watch threads list will help me to remember.

Regimen Goals: I will keep it simple. I would like to figure out my wash day regimen from shampoo through sealing. I have some idea of what works through the leave-in but after that I'm just guessing and using what I have.

Product Usage Goals: I tried a few new products. I just want to use up the few new products I purchased that I don't think are worth repurchasing but fine to use just this one time. I'm not crazy about the Mane Choice Anti-Breakage line so I want to use up that line. I will stick with the Mane Choice Easy on the Curls Line and TGIN. Next time I will just try 1 product from a different line and not an entire line at one time.

Style Goals: By the end of the year I want to be able to put my hair into a simple bun. I also want to have a go to style when I need to shampoo my hair in a hurry and put my hair up. That might be a bun or a puff. I am also hoping that by the end of the year my 2 strand twists are to a length where they are wearable.

Length Goals: Want to have the nape graze APL by then end of August and the lower half of the back be at APL by the end of 2018.

Trimming Goals: My goal is to do a search and destroy regularly. I will do trims every 4 months when I do my length checks. I hope to only need to dust 1/2" each time.

Scalp Restoration Goals: I hope to see a reduction of the thinning in my grown by June 2018 and to have that section almost healed and barely noticeable by the end of 2018.

Wash and Go: I want to figure out the products needed for a wash and go and wear a wash and go successfully for 3 days.

Last edited:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
So I've decided to add one more step to help speed up my scalp density, acupuncture.

My acupuncturist told me that she's helped several clients grow their hair. I'm all for it.

So, I've had 8 visits during January. I can see some baby hairs for my efforts. For the month of February, we've decided to kick it up a notch. I'm going to try a very expensive herbal medicine designed especially for my needs. Additionally, I've added topical use of onion juice once a week.

Chicoro

My hair is transforming. It's getting even darker and it looks moist and juicy.

Most important to me is that my braids are getting longer. I have hair that no matter the length, it never seems to hang past my shoulders. That is changing. My braids actually look longer to me. I'm very happy with the progress of my hair. I would attribute the change to Shea butter and not combing my hair.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I’m still learning about my hair. My regimen isn’t solid, but the lack of one is still working for me. I listen to my hair, then I give it what it needs.
I do have products that I use more than not. I think I will make them my staples and get rid of everything else. The list in no particular order:
Jason Biotin Conditioner
S-Curl
Macadamia Oil Nourishing Conditioner
Shea butter mix
CP Tea rinse
CP hair oil
Various cowash (Keravada HydroMax, APB PH)
Supersilk Shampoo
Aphogee 2-step

I don’t henna anymore. I no longer use clay in my hair. Most of the products I bought during Black Friday are just sitting in my cabinet.

bydebra

My hair goals are simple this year. I want to retain length and mix it up more. I wore my hair completely natural in wash and go styles almost exclusively for 4 years. Now, I'm experimenting with straightening and wigs and weaves. I dyed my hair last year, too, and then I dyed it back this year!

I would love to get to waist length, but I'm not sure if I want to make the sacrifices that it will take to do so.

NaturalShe94

Why am I always late to the parties?? :ohwell: I'm joining, although 2018 started two months ago. lol.

Biggest goal for 2018 is to hit TBL!
Other goals is to consistently trim or dust my ends. I don't straighten my hair so I don't trim.... I need to get into the habit of trimming more often and getting comfortable with doing it myself....

Using up my stash is another goal. I have way too many hair products, some that I haven't even opened yet, and some that I've only used once then put it back on the shelf. Some that I keep saying are my "special occasion" products ... Then a special occasion comes up and I end up using my regular staples anyway... :hammer:

Another goal is to eat healthier.... And I say that with an Arbys Jamocka Milkshake in my hand at the current moment...

Yeah, I got some work to do for 2018.

Challenges: Hip/Tbl Challenge

weavepat

• regimen goals:
    • Have a wash day every week as long as my schedule permits.
  • challenge participation goals:
    • CP inspired regimen challenge
  • product usage goals:
    • I bought what I hoped would be enough products to last all year so I'm just gonna work with my stash for as long as possible.
  • purchasing goals/budgeting goals:
    • I'm putting myself on a no buy unless the price of the item is less than $3 or I find a sale of at least 30% off. For products only. Since supplements also contribute to general wellness I will buy them with no restrictions.
  • style mastery goals:
    • Maybe I'll finally learn to cornrow this year
  • length goals:
    • Tailbone length by the end of the year
  • trimming schedule goals:
    • Trim every 4 months
  • scalp massaging goals:
    • Continue to massage scalp at least 4x per week
  • supplement-taking goals:
    • Take vitamins A,B,C,D,E. finish up the MSM, keep using protein powder, maybe try collagen.
  • water intake goals: 2 liters of water a day.

Updates:
  • Regimen:
    • I've been washing every two weeks since the start of the year with no ill effects. I'll keep this up for a month or two and switch to weekly wash days when the weather warms up.
  • Challenge Participation Goals:
    • Still following the CP challenge. Haven't felt the need to post since I feel all my posts would be repetitive and unnecessary. Still grateful for finding a way to incorporate ayurvedic ingredients in my regimen on a daily basis.
  • Product Usage Goals:
    • Still working through my stash
  • Purchasing Goals:
    • Haven't bought anything hair related so far this year
  • Style Mastery Goals:
    • I've been wearing more flat twist styles but I still practice cornrows on individual sections. They aren't as clean as I would like yet, but I'm getting there.
  • Length Goals:
    • The longest layers hit at the narrowest part of my waist so I think I need another inch or two to fully claim WL. I don't plan to do a real length check until June.
  • Trimming Schedule Goals:
    • I don't have a trim planned until April. My ends still look good, but if they start to look weathered before April I won't hesitate to trim earlier.
  • Scalp Massaging Goals:
    • Massaging tea and oil into my scalp at least every other night.
  • Supplement Goals:
    • I take everything except MSM on a daily basis. After I finish this post I'll take a capsule.
  • Water Intake Goals:
    • Doing very well with my water intake, sometimes even 3 liters a day.

Miss_C

I don't make it to the hair side as much anymore but I like this thread a lot and want to add my piece.

I am aiming for BSL this year. My hair is just passing APL now. It might take until year's end due to my styling goals but I think I can get there.

Imternally, I am taking my vitamins at least twice a week, getting back into my workout regimen and eating more veggies to make sure I get enough nutrients.

Externally, I am working on my styling techniques. I currently have like 3-4 styles in my repetoire- twist outs, twists and straightening. This year I am learning to cornrow, do braid outs, braid and curls and bantu knots/knot outs. I'll continue to add in wigs/weaves as styling breaks and to elevate my hair's beauty appearance.

NaturalShe94

Did good yesterday as far as eating goes. Also bought Super-B Complex vitamins. Coffee then a granola bar. 8oz veggie fruit smothie for lunch then dinner was home made chicken soup which was at 7 pm and that was my last meal until bed . Woke up this morning, drank some coffee , hit the gym and it's wash day and I'm currently sitting under the dryer deep conditioning at the moment. Think I'll be trimming today as well. Trimming without straightening for the first time per my YouTube degree lol.

NaturalShe94

Trimmed today. But I had to blow my hair out. Couldn't do a curly trim. I could barely tell what I needed to trim that way , but my ends are in pretty great shape. Only trimmed about a quarter inch. Used GU Flawless blow dry cream for the first time and that stuff is AWESOME!

TLC1020

Checking in!

I'm doing good with my 2018 goals so far.. Keeping it simple and making sure I manipulate my hair less and leave it alone.. I usually wear a pulled back bun which has been great considering the weather..

Chicoro

December 2017 Post
In 2018, I'm 'Glamorously Beautiful'.

The 2017 Wig Challenge helped me to learn and taught me what it looks like for me, and what I can do for 'me' to be glamorous and beautiful. My hair is a big part of that.
I now understand how to have congruency with being glamorously
beautiful all the while continuing with
actions to support
my hair
goals.
Length Goal:
  • 6 inches retained all around
  • 30 inches of hair in crown sections, 27 inches of hair in non-crown sections of hair

Condition of Hair:
  • Minimum of knots
  • Minimum of split ends
  • Thick full ends

Trims:
  • Small trims with hair in my braids if needed
  • Wear my hair heat straightened and out in July 2018, small trim then

How in terms of Process and Products:
Process:

• No Comb Method - continue this for Year 2 in 2018
  • Ends Routine - continue to perform this every day
  • Inversion - continue with this monthly
Products:

• Shampoo: Baby Body Wash
  • Conditioner: DIY Coconut Conditioner with Shea Butter
  • Leave In:
    • Glycerin Based Product
    • Shea Butter Mix
  • Protein:
    • Infusium or Neutral Protein Filler after each regular wash
    • Whipped Aphogee 2 Step Protein Every 2 Months

January 2018 Post:

I'm shifting my focus a little. Instead of saying I want a certain length, which I don't necessarily control, I am focusing on what I can control.

I plan to:
  • Do my Hair Ends Routine every night
  • Continue with my No Comb Process
  • Do Protein Treatments Every 2 Months
  • Protect my hair at night
These things I can control. I hope they result in what I can't control, which is a nice gain in length!

February 2018 Post:

~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are coming to the end of this challenge. Since December 2017, I have stuck with and continued to do what I said I was going to do. I learned a lot along the way in 2018. The only thing I didn't anticipate was bringing back the Baggie Routine, which I did in October 2018. I've not used it in about two years.

I am nowhere close to having 27 inches all around and 30 inches in my crown. I feel like I gained 1 solid inch of length and not 6 inches. BUT, my growth pattern is such that I gain length and thickness from November to April. If I didn't know better, I'd say that I get 'furrier' during the Winter months. Hence, the traditional and consistent growth spurts I get over these 6 months!

I didn't heat straighten either. So, I'm going on year #5 without heat straightening my hair.

Last edited: