2018 Protective Style Challenge

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
:cupidarrow:Welcome to the 2018 Protective Style Challenge:cupidarrow:

The purpose of this challenge is simple: To maximize your hair growth through the use of protective styles. This challenge can also be used for those that want to learn new styles or step out of their simple top knot bun or 2 strand twists comfort zone while maintaining the health of their hair. Challenge will run from January 1, 2018 until December 31, 2018.

Rules
1. Hair must remain in a protective style for at least 7 days. (exceptions: midweek moisturizing or changing the position of bun to prevent breakage or removing a style that is damaging your hair in any way)
2. Acceptable styles include braids, twists, buns (with your real hair or extensions), sew-ins, phony ponies and wigs. You may use any combination of these styles during the challenge as long as you stick with one for at least 7 days.
3. You are allowed one 14 day pass per quarter for special occasions, to give your hair a break or just because.
4. Check in at least once a week. Let us know what's working and what's not. Feel free to post style inspiration, tutorials, articles, videos, etc.
5. Be willing to post a starting pic, update pic by June 30, 2018 and a final reveal pic by December 31, 2018. Of course you are welcome to post pictures any time you remove a style, reach a milestone or just because. After all...
:needpics:

To Join
1. Like this post.
2. Post a starting pic by January 1, 2018.
3. Reply to the following:
  1. What is your current length?
  2. What is your end of challenge goal length?
  3. What styles will you be wearing?
  4. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair while it is protected.
  5. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair between styles.
  6. Anything else you'd like to share?
Happy growing ladies!

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
  1. What is your current length? Waist length.
  2. What is your end of challenge goal length? Between hip and tailbone length.
  3. What styles will you be wearing? Faux locs with a one week break between each 6 week install. Will wear a bun during these breaks.
  4. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair while it is protected. Plan to use APB refresher sprays and Xcel 21 daily and CurlyProverbz DIY oil every other day or every 3 days. Will cleanse scalp with dry shampoo weekly. Will have to test washing frequency during first install to see if washing every 2 weeks or 3 weeks will work better.
  5. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair between styles. My usual routine of shampoo, protein, deep condition, moisturizing and heavy sealing with APB hair and body butta, oil and a pomade or grease.
  6. Anything else you'd like to share? Will post starting pic on next wash day.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
  1. What is your current length? About 1 inch from tailbone. My braided hair comes to my waist when pulled.
  2. What is your end of challenge goal length? Solidly, at tailbone length.
  3. What styles will you be wearing? 8 braids. No breaks expected. I may wear a wig but my protective style will not change.
  4. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair while it is protected. Use Scurl, Shea butter on hair and castor oil on ends. XCEL and Hair Ends Routine done nightly.
  5. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair between styles. Wash, deep condition and protein treatments when needed.
  6. Anything else you'd like to share? Starting picture of length:
BraidLength Check Nov 15 2017.jpg

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
  1. What is your current length? About 1 inch from tailbone. My braided hair comes to my waist when pulled.
  2. What is your end of challenge goal length? Solidly, at tailbone length.
  3. What styles will you be wearing? 8 braids. No breaks expected. I may wear a wig but my protective style will not change.
  4. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair while it is protected. Use Scurl, Shea butter on hair and castor oil on ends. XCEL and Hair Ends Routine done nightly.
  5. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair between styles. Wash, deep condition and protein treatments when needed.
  6. Anything else you'd like to share? Starting picture of length:
View attachment 419297
Welcome @Chicoro! So happy to have such a beautiful head of hair and knowledge in this challenge.

Sosoothing

1. What is your current length? MBL
  2. What is your end of challenge goal length? Waist length I suppose. I never thought about it. BSL was always my main goal when I started my hair journey.
  3. What styles will you be wearing? Braids with and without extensions, wigs, buns.
  4. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair while it is protected. Frequent moisturizing.
  5. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair between styles. Washing every 2 weeks and protein treatments. DCing as needed.
  6. Anything else you'd like to share? Not right now.
Starting pic coming in January when I take my braids out.
1514917669410-859421334.jpg

Last edited:

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
  1. Screenshot_20171227-224907.jpg What is your current length? FULL MBL
  2. What is your end of challenge goal length? HL
  3. What styles will you be wearing?100% Protective Styles
  4. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair while it is protected. Keep it covered and coated with oils and butterd.
  5. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair between styles. . Wash DC, CLAY, HENNA Bi-weekly. 4 braids. CP OIL, SPRITZ and TEA.
  6. Anything else you'd like to share? NOPE

Last edited:

fifigirl

2. What is your end of challenge goal length? Waist Length
  3. What styles will you be wearing? Twists with my own hair, braids with my own hair, buns, wigs
  4. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair while it is protected. ayurvedic teas and s curl daily, shea butter with ayurvedic herbs , washing 2 or 3x a week, deep conditioning after every wash
  7. Starting picture of length:

Attachments

• dec 2017 length 2.jpeg
    dec 2017 length 2.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 128

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
  1. What is your current length? WSL. It feels so surreal typing that!
  2. What is your end of challenge goal length? Full WSL
  3. What styles will you be wearing? Braid-outs, buns, occasional twists, and maybe a wig if I can find one I like.
  4. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair while it is protected. I will moisturize with something liquid based and seal with a shea mix, concentrating on my ends.
  5. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair between styles. I will do a scalp massage and do an overnight pre-poo or oil soak before shampooing and deep conditioning every week to every two weeks. I will rotate moisture and protein as needed and use my heat cap. Apply SSI Seyani to damp hair and air dry most often.
  6. Anything else you'd like to share? Looking forward to all of the posts!
I need someone to help me to take a true length shot. I hope this one is sufficient.

Attachments

• IMG_20171217_213035_235.jpg
    IMG_20171217_213035_235.jpg
    810.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
  • What is your current length?
    • WHip
  • What is your end of challenge goal length?
    • Tailbone
  • What styles will you be wearing
    • 2-6 Braids with my own hair orTwists.
  • Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair while it is protected.
    • Daily ends care (LCO: ayurveda tea, moisturizer, pomade). 2-3x weekly LCO on length and rebraid.
  • Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair between styles.
    • Weekly wash and DC (Biweekly if I can stretch it).
Starting Pic: I hate my bathroom wallpaper, so blurred it out.
IMG_20171225_073233crop.jpg

Last edited:

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
  2. What is your end of challenge goal length? Waist length I suppose. I never thought about it. BSL was always my main goal when I started my hair journey.
  3. What styles will you be wearing? Braids with and without extensions, wigs, buns.
  4. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair while it is protected. Frequent moisturizing.
  5. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair between styles. Washing every 2 weeks and protein treatments. DCing as needed.
  6. Anything else you'd like to share? Not right now.
Starting pic coming in January when I take my braids out.
Welcome. Do you have a favorite protein treatment or deep conditioner?

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
  2. What is your end of challenge goal length? Waist Length
  3. What styles will you be wearing? Twists with my own hair, braids with my own hair, buns, wigs
  4. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair while it is protected. ayurvedic teas and s curl daily, shea butter with ayurvedic herbs , washing 2 or 3x a week, deep conditioning after every wash
  7. Starting picture of length:
Welcome! Do you have a favorite ayurvedic tea recipe?

Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
To Join
1. Like this post. Done

1. What is your current length? APL
  2. What is your end of challenge goal length? BSL
  3. What styles will you be wearing? Braids under wigs
  4. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair while it is protected. Baggy method, heavy use of Shea butter and oils
  5. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair between styles. Re-moisturize when needed with moisturizing spritz and seal with Shea Butter

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
To Join
1. Like this post. Done

1. What is your current length? APL
  2. What is your end of challenge goal length? BSL
  3. What styles will you be wearing? Braids under wigs
  4. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair while it is protected. Baggy method, heavy use of Shea butter and oils
  5. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair between styles. Re-moisturize when needed with moisturizing spritz and seal with Shea Butter
Welcome! Either I'm old and my eyes are getting bad or you're beyond APL. I normally think of APL as being the top of the arm pits or slightly below. You look more BSB (or almost there) to me. The unstretched part of your hair is hanging APL in my opinion.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I don't have a favorite deep conditioner for moisture. I tend to use whatever I have or whatever is on sale.
My favorite protein treatment is Curl Junkie Repair Me.
I've been meaning to try Repair Me. I think I tried to get some Curl Junkie products and Sally's and they were sold out and I never tried again. Gotta readd that to my list. I'm still searching for my holy grail protein.

Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
I agree that she's Bsb. She's way beyond Apl and getting real close to Bsl : yep:
You saying I’m BSB just put a huge smile on my face. I’m on the bigger side, so I can’t really see my bones clearly, so I just decided to stick with getting to BSL. Thanks for letting me know.

Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

To Join
1. Like this post.
Done!
IMG-1160.JPG IMG-1161.JPG

1. What is your current length? In between MBL and WL
  2. What is your end of challenge goal length? Full WL, inching towards HL
  3. What styles will you be wearing? Wigs, wigs and mo' wigs. Longs ones, short ones, but mostly bobs because I lovesss me a bob :lachen: :love:.
  4. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair while it is protected.I will moisturize/seal my hair 1x-2x a week.I will wash/deep condition my hair every 3-4 weeks. I will be chelating followed by doing a reconstructive treatment every 2-3 months.I will be using little to no heat with the exception of 2 heat passes (Mid-year Blow dry- June 2018 and end of the year blow dry/flat iron- December 2018; to see my results). I will also continue to be consistent with my vitamins (Womens Multi-Vitamin, 2,000 mg of Hydrolyzed Collagen 1&3, Omega 3's, and Probiotic)
  5. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair between styles. :arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup:
  6. Anything else you'd like to share? I'm so excited. It's been a while since I'm been this enthused about my hair :love:

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
To Join
1. Like this post.
Done!
View attachment 419713 View attachment 419715

1. What is your current length? In between MBL and WL
  2. What is your end of challenge goal length? Full WL, inching towards HL
  3. What styles will you be wearing? Wigs, wigs and mo' wigs. Longs ones, short ones, but mostly bobs because I lovesss me a bob :lachen: :love:.
  4. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair while it is protected.I will moisturize/seal my hair 1x-2x a week.I will wash/deep condition my hair every 3-4 weeks. I will be chelating followed by doing a reconstructive treatment every 2-3 months.I will be using little to no heat with the exception of 2 heat passes (Mid-year Blow dry- June 2018 and end of the year blow dry/flat iron- December 2018; to see my results). I will also continue to be consistent with my vitamins (Womens Multi-Vitamin, 2,000 mg of Hydrolyzed Collagen 1&3, Omega 3's, and Probiotic)
  5. Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair between styles. :arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup:
  6. Anything else you'd like to share? I'm so excited. It's been a while since I'm been this enthused about my hair :love:
Welcome! Make sure you post pics of your wigs. Do you have a favorite?

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I still haven’t installed my faux locs. The day I was supposed to get them done I was too tired, the following day was Christmas Eve and I had to work and by that night, I felt like I’d been hit by a bus. Currently battling the worst cold in history. But I’m determined to get my hair done Sunday.

fifigirl

Been wearing my hair in 48 braids (no attachment) and wearing a wig on top....i am finding this really convenient. I moisturise and seal braids each day. Plan to wash once or twice a week. Aiming to keep the braids in for a month and then restyle my hair

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
1. Like this post. Done
09DC0F08-92A8-48BA-BBB6-FB66F207457A.jpeg What is your current length? WL
What is your end of challenge goal length? WHip length. I’m sure I could focus on TBL, but I’m trying to get a better handle on SSKs I’ve been getting lately.
What styles will you be wearing? Buns and my hair pulled back.
Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair while it is protected. Nothing :look:
Give a brief synopsis of how you will care for your hair between styles. Outside of washing and conditioning, using my leave in, Moisturizer, Butters and oils. I usually don’t need to do this more than 1x a week but may need to reassess with the -3 windchill and 19 degree weather in NY right now. And that’s just us. Throughout the year, I can adjust.
Anything else you'd like to share? Nothing Really. Wait.... if I get too quiet please tag me :look: