2018 Wig Thread

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Has anyone tried braided wigs??? Some of them look horrible!!! But I’ve seen a few on YT that look pretty believable. I’ve sat for braids too many times in my life and I promise I.will.NEVER.EVER.EVER. do it again. I’ve even had micro braids twice :cantlook: But I like braids :lol:. So, I’m thinking of ordering this one.

That is gorgeous but I buy too many wigs too add $200+ ones into the rotation. My go to braid wig has been discontinued and there's only one ebay seller left that has it at a somewhat reasonable price. :cry3:

I'm looking at buying this wig but I've only seen one sponsored review. My experience is that a lot of type 4 mimicking wigs that look like natural hair tend to look like ramen noodle curls when they arrive.

http://www.shophairwigs.com/sensati...virgin-remy-4x4-swiss-lace-front-wig-bohemian

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-5_8-32-58.jpeg
    upload_2018-3-5_8-32-58.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 129

bellatiamarie

That is gorgeous but I buy too many wigs too add $200+ ones into the rotation. My go to braid wig has been discontinued and there's only one ebay seller left that has it at a somewhat reasonable price. :cry3:

I'm looking at buying this wig but I've only seen one sponsored review. My experience is that a lot of type 4 mimicking wigs that look like natural hair tend to look like ramen noodle curls when they arrive.

http://www.shophairwigs.com/sensati...virgin-remy-4x4-swiss-lace-front-wig-bohemian

Both of them are cute.... the last one is human hair so you should be able to manipulate it a lot more than a synthetic. I like it.

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
Washed my hair today. The longest layer is at APL! *happy dance*

I'm going to give Jada another shot. I didn't like how she looked on me the last time but I'm going to cut the front into layers and see if that helps. I gotta do whatever it takes to extend this no-buy and work with what I already have.

bellatiamarie

I think this is my last week in wigs for a couple months. Or until I buy some more.

I still have 2 that I haven't worn to work but I need a break. I made it to March so I met my goal! YAY me bc I never complete a challenge!

Why do you need a break from wigs?

bellatiamarie

Do y’all use a wig head or stand to style your wigs or do you put them on your head then style? I’ve been styling my kinky curly human wigs on my head and I hate it because I have to use so much water to style them and I end up getting water all over myself. I’m thinking of buying a stand. Any recommendations?

Sosoothing

Do y’all use a wig head or stand to style your wigs or do you put them on your head then style? I’ve been styling my kinky curly human wigs on my head and I hate it because I have to use so much water to style them and I end up getting water all over myself. I’m thinking of buying a stand. Any recommendations?

I want to know too.
The styrofoam ones are cheap and I'm usually tempted to get one. But I wonder if they are too light and might fall over when I'm brushing my wigs.

GGsKin

I want to know too.
The styrofoam ones are cheap and I'm usually tempted to get one. But I wonder if they are too light and might fall over when I'm brushing my wigs.

Get one. They are good to leave your 'current' wig on. I have limited space but would like a proper wig stand and clamp. When I wear wigs, depending on the kind of styling I'm doing, I do both. Any kind of setting (braiding, curling, heat) I'll do with the wig pinned on one of those Styrofoam heads. I place between my knees/thighs for grip.

abioni

Just bought a new wig. It's a human wig. I asked for light yaki but I was sent hair with crinkles instead. It was also supposed to be 130% but it looks like it's 150% which makes it look too full on me, especially when I curl it from the root. I may sell it but I'm keeping it for now, the crinkles are growing on me.

IMG_20180311_121437.jpg

coolhandlulu

Struttin' and stuntin'
Just bought a new wig. It's a human wig. I asked for light yaki but I was sent hair with crinkles instead. It was also supposed to be 130% but it looks like it's 150% which makes it look too full on me, especially when I curl it from the root. I may sell it but I'm keeping it for now, the crinkles are growing on me.

View attachment 426337
Girl, blow dry that wig, take some thinning shears to it, and go on bout your business.

bellatiamarie

I was thinking about getting some marley twists so that I wouldn't have to do anything to my hair. I'm being lazy :lol: I have on my GLS64 today but want to straighten my hair for tomorrow. I'm all over the place, don't mind me :lol:

The reason I ask is because I want to make sure I’m not missing something. Wigs have been the best thing ever for me these past two months... I don’t have to worry about styling my hair every day!! Should I be taking breaks from wigs to let my scalp breathe?? I don’t know girl I’m all over the place too :lol:

Pygmy_puff

The reason I ask is because I want to make sure I’m not missing something. Wigs have been the best thing ever for me these past two months... I don’t have to worry about styling my hair every day!! Should I be taking breaks from wigs to let my scalp breathe?? I don’t know girl I’m all over the place too :lol:

I think you need to take a break only if you notice any irritation or other problems from the wig. If it’s comfortable and your hair is growing, I see no real need to stop! I recently stopped wearing my wig for two weeks because I noticed that my scalp was getting tender where the elastic band of my wig wraps around my head. I didn’t have any balding or anything, but I figured it would be a good idea to give it a rest for a little while. From now on I’ll make sure to wear my hair out every weekend and periodically take breaks whenever I feel any tenderness.

You can also take a break if you just feel like enjoying your natural hair for a change!

coolhandlulu

Struttin' and stuntin'
Hope I’m not stirring nothing up...

But how long do you wear your wigs? My wig mentor melts her lace and wears it for 4 or 5 days. My HUMBLE opinion is that that is not healthy for most people. Especially not for one’s edges. I toss that sucker off as soon as I get home. I did the got to be glued a couple of times but I didn’t like how crunchy my edges got. Now I just use my wig grip and the lace stays securely. I get home, toss it off, oil/spray/massage my edges. Put my wig grip back on and tie my rag being careful not to put too much tension on it. With the wig grip, you don’t need to tie your rag too tight and you sleep peacefully with your rag staying in place most nights.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.

It came looking like a big ole glossy Rick James Jerry Curl and the longest layer hangs almost to apl.

It's a lot of poodle hair. I'm going to spritz it with water and leave in and if that doesn't work I'll wash it and shingle with fantasia IC gel. Hopefully air drying will take some of the shine off and I'm definitely going to have to cut it.

I hate the inconsistent quality and terrible customer service at Finger Comber but I lucked up on the best natural wig I've ever had through her. Too bad I ordered two natural wigs and came straight.

bellatiamarie

It came looking like a big ole glossy Rick James Jerry Curl and the longest layer hangs almost to apl.

It's a lot of poodle hair. I'm going to spritz it with water and leave in and if that doesn't work I'll wash it and shingle with fantasia IC gel. Hopefully air drying will take some of the shine off and I'm definitely going to have to cut it.

I hate the inconsistent quality and terrible customer service at Finger Comber but I lucked up on the best natural wig I've ever had through her. Too bad I ordered two natural wigs and came straight.

:lol: not poodle hair. Lordt. Can you cut it to frame your face??

bellatiamarie

I think you need to take a break only if you notice any irritation or other problems from the wig. If it’s comfortable and your hair is growing, I see no real need to stop! I recently stopped wearing my wig for two weeks because I noticed that my scalp was getting tender where the elastic band of my wig wraps around my head. I didn’t have any balding or anything, but I figured it would be a good idea to give it a rest for a little while. From now on I’ll make sure to wear my hair out every weekend and periodically take breaks whenever I feel any tenderness.

You can also take a break if you just feel like enjoying your natural hair for a change!

I clearly must’ve spoke too soon because I had the most horrible experience with my wig today. The lace was itching me so bad around my hairline and then my temples were so sore. I had to come home and massage my hairline with JBCO. There were a couple times through out the day where I just wanted to rip that mutha right off my head and throw it in the trash. I wasn’t having it with Ms Wig on today. I must’ve jinxed myself this morning by saying that wigs are the best thing ever for me :lol: it wasn’t right today. I think I’m going to take a break for a couple days :lol:

Pygmy_puff

I clearly must’ve spoke too soon because I had the most horrible experience with my wig today. The lace was itching me so bad around my hairline and then my temples were so sore. I had to come home and massage my hairline with JBCO. There were a couple times through out the day where I just wanted to rip that mutha right off my head and throw it in the trash. I wasn’t having it with Ms Wig on today. I must’ve jinxed myself this morning by saying that wigs are the best thing ever for me :lol: it wasn’t right today. I think I’m going to take a break for a couple days :lol:

Oh no!! Girl I know that feeling all too well! Is it one of those hard lace units?? I had a bad time with one of those a couple years ago. It chafed my skin so bad! The hair looked so cute though... :(

I hope your temples feel better soon. Try to figure out why it is irritating and see if there is something you can do to help. Sometimes the combs, even if they aren’t being used, can rub your scalp and cause irritation. Or if it’s too tight around the hairline, you can try braiding your hair differently so the bulk is higher up on your head, creating more space around the perimeter. Just a couple suggestions... sometimes there really isn’t much you can do besides limit how long you wear the unit.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!