2018 Wig Thread

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
Shoutout to @trclemons for all the previous threads! :clapping::heart:

WELCOME TO THE 2018 WIG THREAD!

Previous years: 2017 2016 2015

Wigs are an AMAZING option when trying to protect, retain, and relax your hair. A WIG means any full, half, full lace, U-part, lace front wig or phony pony (store bought or self-made) that you can put on and take off daily to have access to your hair. Twists, braided extensions, sew-ins, or traditional weaves ARE NOT allowed for this challenge.

*~*THE RULES*~*

There are no rules! :lol: This is a very informal challenge.

If you are interested in joining, please respond to the following:

1. Like this post.

2. How long do you plan on wigging it?

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning:

5. Current Hair Length:

6. 2018 Hair Length Goal:

7. Starting Photo

Please keep this thread alive with pictures of your current wigs, wig reviews, hair regimen updates, photos of your hair's progress, etc. as often as possible, but at least on:

:gorgeous: LET'S DO THIS LADIES!!! :gorgeous:

Tagging @trclemons @Chicoro @angelmilk @Evallusion @beauti and apologies to anyone I forgot!

Last edited:

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
FAQ's, Tips, and Tricks

- Where do I get a wig?

These are some places that challengers have purchased from in previous threads. (S) means they sell synthetic only, (H) human hair only, (B) means both.

https://fridaynighthair.com/ (S)
http://www.samsbeauty.com/index.beauty (B)
https://www.myfirstwig.com/ (H)
http://www.lavyhair.com/ (H)
http://www.glamourtress.com/Default.asp (B)
http://www.divatress.com/ (B)
https://www.hairvivi.com/ (H)
http://www.blackhairspray.com/ (B)

- How do I take care of my wig?

Oils and oil-based products will shorten the length of a synthetic wig. It will look great immediately afterwards, but then over time the quality will degrade. Two methods for maintaining a synthetic wig are boiling it or washing it with fabric softener.

Human hair wigs, on the other hand, love oil - as long as they're being washed from time to time. Just like the hair on our heads, they need to be moisturized or they dry out. Have a product that your hair doesn't like and you need to get rid of it? Use it on your wig!

- How do I get my wig to stay put?

There's got2be glue, bobby pins, wig grips, or the elastic band method. Videos of each method are in the post right below this one.

- Can I really go around in a $20 wig and not look crazy?

YES! Some very popular wigs on the internet are only $20-30, like Sensationnel Inna, Freetress Hania, Outre Dominican Curly, etc.

- Can I do (insert activity here) in a wig?

As long as it's properly secured, the answer is usually yes. Things where the wig will be moving around a lot (sleeping and coloring, for example) might cause it to rub against your edges, though. Also the got2be glue method won't work if you're planning on going swimming so bring some pins if you go on vacation.

Last edited:

Sosoothing

I just bought 3 wigs. I haven't ever been much of a wig wearer but recognized their value after becoming a mother.
I will keep my hair braided underneath. I can't cornrow but can make box braids sort of using my own hair.
Washing and deep conditioning every 2 weeks.
I'm mid back length currently.
I'm still wearing box braids with extensions until the end of the year so no pictures for now.

Last edited:

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
Just curious, what does this mean? I see a lot of people posting this phrase.
I plan on adding in some helpful posts from earlier threads, youtube videos on some techniques like tweezing and blending lace, and links to different stores, etc. But I have somewhere to be in 30 minutes and I haven't even gotten dressed. :lol: So I'm creating those posts now so that I can go back and edit them later and they'll be right at the top of the thread.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!

If you are interested in joining, please respond to the following:

1. Like this post. Done!

2. How long do you plan on wigging it? Off and on until about May. Then start again in September or October of 2018!

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony? I will keep my hair in braids, slathered with SCURL and Shea Butter, BABY!

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning: I'm natural!

5. Current Hair Length: 21.5 inches in back, 24 inches in crown, 22 inches in front
  • When pulled, my braided hair comes to my waist!
  • I am about 1 inch from tailbone in the back!
  • When I sit, and pull my hair to the front, it is about 1-2 inches from my thigh!

6. 2018 Hair Length Goal: 4 inches [for the entire year] should put me solidly at tailbone!

7. Starting Photo: Lil' Braid in Back is at Waist Length

BraidLength Check Nov 15 2017.jpg

Last edited:

Sosoothing

I plan on adding in some helpful posts from earlier threads, youtube videos on some techniques like tweezing and blending lace, and links to different stores, etc. But I have somewhere to be in 30 minutes and I haven't even gotten dressed. :lol: So I'm creating those posts now so that I can go back and edit them later and they'll be right at the top of the thread.

Oh I see....lol.
That's what I suspected actually. I'm glad I asked because once I have been in a thread, I rarely go back to the beginning. I start where I left off and would have missed the info in this case.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
How long do you plan on wigging it? For most of the year. I take a break for a week once a month.

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony? My hair will be in plaits for easy maintenance. It is easier to wash, M&S?, and remove shed hairs when my hair is plaited.

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning: Natural

5. Current Hair Length: SL (back/sides); NL (crown); Chin Length (front)

6. 2018 Hair Length Goal: APL

7. Starting Photo
20171209 Hair Length Photo.JPG

Last edited:

Saga

The Generous Queen
How long do you plan on wigging it?

Shoot iono, at least until March. I usually wig all year round but I like to mix it up every now and again.

How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?
Wash 1x per week
Spray daily (Either aloe vera, braid spray, or Surge)
Curly Proverbs Oil nightly
Protect my edges with the wig grip

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning:
Au natural

Current Hair Length:
APL Purgatory

2018 Hair Length Goal:
BSL/Midback

Starting Photo
Coming soon to a forum near you...

BlackRinse

On and off for the next 6 months. Then I may return to weaves; not really getting any length with them.

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig?

Hair in cornrows, using my Mega Tek Mix

Natural

5. Current Hair Length:

Collar Bone Length

BSL / 16"

7. Starting Photo

Last edited:

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
1. Like this post.

Done

All year long

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?

Moisturize daily. Cowash weekly.

Natural

5. Current Hair Length:

SL

APL/ FULL SL

7. Starting Photo

Coming soon...

beauti

Plan on wigging until March/April and from October to the following year.

Will keep hair in cornrows or braids underneath, moisturize every few days, dc biweekly

I'm natural, wsl, short term goal is full wsl by March and hip length by end of next year, tbl would be a bonus, a girl can dream :look:

20171215_052630.jpg

ClassyJSP

Not sure I normally wear my wigs year round but this year I believe I'll take a few breaks and wear braids (especially during the summer months).

Wash and deep condition every two weeks and get my hair re-braided. While my hair is in braids I plan on moisturizing with some type of spray (not sure yet).

Relaxed

Current Hair Length:

Grazing BSL

2018 Hair Length Goal:
BSL/MBL

Starting Photo:
Will post

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress

All year, although I might try braids around my birthday.

Wash and DC weekly, oil my edges with castor oil and my ends with grapeseed oil with nightly scalp massages. I might get a bottle of Surge once my no-buy period ends at the end of the month. Currently experimenting with the recipe for my moisturizing spritz, but I use that daily. My current mixture is water, aloe gel, and glycerin. Looking to get my hands on some mango butter and panthenol.

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning: Natural

Current Hair Length: A little past SL, but I need to trim so we'll call it grazing SL

2018 Hair Length Goal: APL

Starting Photo Coming soon!

gforceroy

Most of the year! I bought 2 virgin hair wigs so I am ready to go for the first part of 2018!! :D
Wash and DC every two weeks.
Use sulfur oil every few days on edges.
Moisturize every few days.
Natural
Current Hair Length:
Shoulder length
2018 Hair Length Goal:
APL
Starting Photo
Will add later

cmoniquew

1. Like this post. Done

2. How long do you plan on wigging it? Yearlong, with occasional length checks (2-4 times in the year)

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony? Cornrows every 2 weeks
Shampoo/Cleanse every 2 weeks
Deep Condition weekly
Apply Surge 2x daily

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning: Natural

5. Current Hair Length: Not certain but I believe waist length

6. 2018 Hair Length Goal: Primary goal is increased health and thickness, Length Goal is full Tailbone

7. Starting Photo

Coming Soon