2019 Coffee Clay Chebe Onion Rice Tea Ayurv Acv Avj Challenge

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
This looks amazing. I’ve been toying with the idea of switching to black soap for my body - I’ve been looking for a pre-made alternative to dove sensitive skin soap but have found many natural bars irritating or drying :/ what brand of black soap do you use for your base ?

I use this one by Oslove Organics.

But I would not recommend it on your body though. The few times I used it on my body, some of the soap got "down there" :look: and ummmm she was not pleased.

But for my face....oh yes ma'am...straight no chaser.
Hair....double yes ma'am...but diluted with tea...cause who doesnt love a good tea with anything! LOL

No need to add oils and all that jazz. It's not as stripping as other brands I've used.

Lita

Did a pre with 365 Coconut oil,Washed L’oreal Clay poo,Rice water rinse,Dc,Stunna rice milk on scalp,Bekura Beauty bahari Water on length,Nur Creations Slippery Elm/Marshmallow balm to seal..

Happy Hair Growing!

water_n_oil

@ElevatedEnergy Girl, one use later and I'm a believer! The only rough spots on DD2 tonight were places she had scars from scratching. Will definitely keep using the fenugreek spritz in conjunction with the shea/tamanu balm. I was starting to get lazy about kitchen mixing but you motivated me to get up this afternoon. Main thing I still need to work on is our conditioner so I can stop buying store bought ones (or at least drastically cut back).

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@ElevatedEnergy Girl, one use later and I'm a believer! The only rough spots on DD2 tonight were places she had scars from scratching. Will definitely keep using the fenugreek spritz in conjunction with the shea/tamanu balm. I was starting to get lazy about kitchen mixing but you motivated me to get up this afternoon. Main thing I still need to work on is our conditioner so I can stop buying store bought ones (or at least drastically cut back).

OMGeeeeeeeeee! Yay!

I got lazy too but I know it was mostly because I didnt like making everything on every wash day, but my saving grave has truly been using a preservative. Now I can stretch how often I have to mix to around every 3 months on average with the exception of my herbal tea rinse which I prefer fresh. I've been able to replace every product I was using except Curl Junkie Daily Fix which I'm not in a rush to replace because I have a full bottle and only use it now to rinse my henna. However I'm sure when it's time to replace it, I can just add a surfactant like Cocamidopropyl Betaine to my Fenugreek conditioner and turn it into a Cleansing Conditioner. Paired with cleansing EO's like peppermimt or citrus fruits would probably turn the cleansing ability up a notch.

Happy Mixing Sis! @water_n_oil

GGsKin

I went on my 2 week holiday and forgot that I left some rice water in the cupboard, fermenting:look:. When I got back, I was tempted to pour it down the drain because I've never let it go that long before, but I put it in the fridge:look:. I used some as a rinse on Sunday.

I used some in my clay mix yesterday and left on for an hour. My hair felt very clean, almost stripped. I followed with a rice water rinse, left on while I showered and then rinsed. My hair felt more balanced after that and looked very defined. I used clay on Sunday so my hair didn't much build up/ wasn't that dirty. Probably didn't need all that time.

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
Is anyone using a ready-made ayurvedic conditioner?

I have two staple natural deep conditioners

Alikay Naturals Honey and Sage. Love how it feels in my hair. Makes it easy to detangle and convenient because I can get it on the ground. You do have to rinse well or you will see the herbs that are in it. Super hydrating. I favor the next only because I feel I always end up using a lot so I don’t get as many uses out of one jar. But I am notoriously heavy handed lol

Obia Naturals Babassu Deep conditioner and I really like it. It’s thick (which I like) and you don’t need a lot and it spreads easily. Definitely a new staple although you do have to give it time to penetrate into the hair. But always leaves my hair feeling super soft and moisturized.

Open and looking forward to more reviews!

water_n_oil

I have two staple natural deep conditioners

Alikay Naturals Honey and Sage. Love how it feels in my hair. Makes it easy to detangle and convenient because I can get it on the ground. You do have to rinse well or you will see the herbs that are in it. Super hydrating. I favor the next only because I feel I always end up using a lot so I don’t get as many uses out of one jar. But I am notoriously heavy handed lol

Obia Naturals Babassu Deep conditioner and I really like it. It’s thick (which I like) and you don’t need a lot and it spreads easily. Definitely a new staple although you do have to give it time to penetrate into the hair. But always leaves my hair feeling super soft and moisturized.

Open and looking forward to more reviews!
I just started using the Obia last week and I love it! I've used it overnight twice and with heat once. It leaves my hair feeling great each time. I feel ya on not getting many uses out of dcs which sucks given the cost of the nicer ones.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Steeped some herbal tea overnight to use as my "rinse out" conditioner.

Herbs: Stinging Nettle, Oatstraw, Rosehips, Burdock Root, Fenugreek Seeds & Rosemary.

Ended up adding more ingredients to it. Instead:

Horsetail, Stinging Nettle, Oatstraw, Rosehips, Burdock Root, Fenugreek, Rosemary, Sunflower Oil, Sea Kelp, Amla, Bhringraj, & Sodium Lactate.

Used the double basin method in the sink and poured over my hair for a few minutes until all the rinse was gone. Left the last rinse in and sat under my steamer for 20 mins. My hair felt strengthened but still soft. I'll use it this way whenever I do it from now on. I really enjoyed this rinse.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I want a nice floral tea rinse so I threw every kind of dried flower I had in the house in my blend.

They are so colorful and pretty!

20190420_164345-490x1008.jpg

Passionflower, Hops, Rose Petals, Rose Hips, Rose Buds, Lavender & Calendula. I already know the shine from this will be crazy....flowers always give my hair so much shine....especially hops.

SideNote to myself mostly: LOL
Rinses always left my hair kind of rough feeling, but most hair friendly herbs/teas/powders are astringent so I usually expet that. However, I've been able to counteract that and make them more on the conditioning level by adding in a humectant and oil as well as diluting the tea with distilled water/citric acid combo. Mannnnn Tea rinses really can replace rinse out conditioners once you get your right groove going.

I'm super excited for my next rinse. Think I'mma use this combo for a conditioner too. MMMMMM!!!!

BeautifulRoots

I want a nice floral tea rinse so I threw every kind of dried flower I had in the house in my blend.

They are so colorful and pretty!

View attachment 445813

Passionflower, Hops, Rose Petals, Rose Hips, Rose Buds, Lavender & Calendula. I already know the shine from this will be crazy....flowers always give my hair so much shine....especially hops.

SideNote to myself mostly: LOL
Rinses always left my hair kind of rough feeling, but most hair friendly herbs/teas/powders are astringent so I usually expet that. However, I've been able to counteract that and make them more on the conditioning level by adding in a humectant and oil as well as diluting the tea with distilled water/citric acid combo. Mannnnn Tea rinses really can replace rinse out conditioners once you get your right groove going.

I'm super excited for my next rinse. Think I'mma use this combo for a conditioner too. MMMMMM!!!!

Very cool, so you add citric acid as well as distilled water to your herbal mixes or do you just use one or the other?

Last edited: