2019 Twist, Braid, Bun Challenge - No Hiding Your Hair

faithVA

We haven't had one of these in a while. But it's back

REMEMBER: No hiding your hair! No wigs, no weaves, no extensions, etc.

This challenge is for twist, braids, and buns on your own hair. Using these low manipulation and protective styles, we aim to retain the growth we achieve over the year.

Twists: 2 strand twists, flat twists, 2 strand flat twists, 3 strand twists, coils, bantu knots
Braids: Box braids & mini braids on your hair, plaits, cornrows, french braids, etc.
Buns: Any kind of bun or updo. We want our ends to be protected and tucked away!

RULES:
1. ALL STYLES MUST BE DONE WITH YOUR OWN HAIR EXCLUSIVELY.
2. Your hair must be in twist, braids or bunned for at least 5 consecutive days.
3. You can wear your hair out for up to 3 days after taking your twists out (like in twist-outs, afros, wash and go, etc). [If you need to amend your restyling time, let us know in your initial post! A 3-day turnaround may not be feasible for your schedule and lifestyle.]
4. Check in 1x a month or more. Update us on your regimen, style, moisturizing secrets, etc.)
5. Post a picture of your hair at the beginning of the challenge and at the end. 7. The challenge will be from January 1, 2019 – December 31, 2019 but will run in quarters. You can opt out for a quarter if needed. But when you commit, commit for a quarter.
8. You will have 1 pass per quarter, during the challenge to cover you for a week.
9. Heat is allowed in this challenge. Be sure to use a heat protectant and the lowest setting possible for your hair. Remember to be careful! We do not want to damage our hair for the styling purposes of this challenge.

REMEMBER: No hiding your hair! No wigs, no weaves, no extensions, etc.

Feel free to join at any time.

~~~~~~~~~~Join the Challenge by Sharing-----------------

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)?

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?

5. How often will you restyle your hair?

6. Include Starting Pic.

JoyBelle

Joining - I’ll be back later this week with starting info. I plan to flat iron and trim on Wednesday (hopefully the weather will let me be great). Twists are my go-to; I want to try mini braids in 2019.

Miss_Luna

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? My primary style is mini-twists

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Moisturize with Curls products and The Mane Choice daily or when I can remember. I usually pin my twist up or put in a bun

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length and volume. I'm nervous on the volume, as my hair is almost at the point of being unmanageable when loose.

5. How often will you restyle your hair? Every 10-14 days I will wash and retwist

6. Include Starting Pic. First two pics are after mini-twists take down, second pic is straightened a few months prior and the final pic is how I style my mini twist.

Hair pic 2_loose.jpg Hair pic 3_loose.jpg Hair pic 4_straight.jpg Hair pic_twist.jpg

Last edited:

Lita

Joining-
My routine,loose braids/flat twists or a french roll..I always have my bang out..

I moisturized on the regular/scalp treatments & different scalp serums applied a couple times a week

I’m natural

Currently,my hair is in a messy loose braided bun & I have my hair pinned under

I restyle my hair every couple of days..

I hope to gain my length back,more volume & thickness..Keep it healthy.

*I have to take pictures/will come back to post.

Happy Hair Growing!

charmtreese

This is currently my regimen and has been my regimen for the last few years!! So, I'm in!!!

Two strand twist

Wash my hair once every two weeks and re-twist. Moisturize and seal daily.

Natural

Retaining most of what grows for longer, fuller hair

Once every two weeks I will re-twist. I will style my twist in buns, ponytails, up-dos etc.

6. Include Starting Pic.
1st pic blow dried hair, 2nd pic braid out on blow dried hair, 3rd pic twist, 4th pic twist out
9922022F-3F1F-490C-BF2A-018CB3511D25.jpeg 93F2C915-98C0-4FCD-9904-98C9A35C7C54.jpeg B82ABB27-6B9E-4884-9704-B32AF37D3DC8.jpeg
E1FA145B-28D7-47D7-9211-2CEADFEFA867.jpeg

Last edited:

faithVA

Your twists look really good @faithVA! Your hair looks thicker, fuller and definitely longer!
Thank you Daina. I used to think I would leave flat twists when my hair got longer. I know see they will always be my go to style because they are easy, fast and low maintenance.

I haven't seen you in a while. Glad you are still around.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
So I like to do one or two french or dutch braids, but I have to re-do them daily for them to stay decent looking. Does that count at all?

faithVA

So I like to do one or two french or dutch braids, but I have to re-do them daily for them to stay decent looking. Does that count at all?
Unfortunately not. You would be doing a lot of manipulation daily so it isn't much of a protective style.

HappilyLiberal

I'm in... I was planning to mini-twist once a week or once every other week for the entire year. I've been using the phony bun too much and it is wrecking the crown area of my hair.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? Mini-twists

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Pre-poo moisturizer (Chicoro's regimen), wash, deep condition, and twist weekly or bi-weekly (it depends on how neat they look after a week).

Natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? 4 or more inches next year.

5. How often will you restyle your hair? Weekly or bi-weekly.

6. Include Starting Pic. Will post Saturday or Sunday (depends on when I wash my hair this weekend).

Last edited:

Alta Angel

Hair at 1.3.17.jpg Hair Length check 2018.jpg hair 12.23.18.jpg Yasss! I am in!

Two-strand twists.

Retwist every 4 weeks. I steam at two weeks, wear a twist out at 3 weeks, and shampoo/DC/Steam at 4 weeks and wear a bun for a week to stretch. Repeat. I will modify this for the challenge and skip the twist out week (or reduce it to a couple of days). I also moisturize nightly using African Royale braid spray and SM Hair Milk.

Natural.

Styling ideas, product recommendations, regimen tweaks and growth and retention.

I will retwist every 4 weeks.

6. Include Starting Pic.
I will post new pics in Jan.
***Welp, I added a new pic today and it doesn't appear as if my hair has grown this year! Not really sure what happened but my twists do hang longer...hmmm.

Last edited:

faithVA

I wore my last style for 2 weeks but took it down mid-point, moisturized and retwisted.

I am DCing now. I will put in 2 strand twists. I hope it only takes me 2 hours.

ckisland

I read through all the posts for the 2018 challenge, and I think I want to give it a shot :look:.
I really want to grow my hair to WL by the end of next year, so I can't be playing around LOL!

Halo twists, twist buns, French braids, and (hopefully) Dutch braids

I want to give a little background info. My hair is extremely low porosity, and most commercial products give me build up. So, I started using simple ingredients and my hair's loved it LOL! It's literally shinier, tangles less, and holds moisture and styles so much better now.
Once a week, I either condition overnight (oil + honey), or I "cleanse" my hair and add my homemade DC. I spritz on AVJ, seal with oil, and set my hair in twists with rollers. I'll wear the twist n'curl for a day, then put my hair in one of those styles. I'll take it down after 3 days, moisturize and put back up until wash day.

Natural

WL hair :lachen: and I want to minimize split ends and SSKs
2x a week
6. Include Starting Pic.
Will post later

SheWalks

I'm in, this has been my regimen for the last 6 months and I love this style! I'd like to see if I can make it through 2019. Currently, I have 35 twists in my hair. I leave 3-4 out in the front sometimes, the rest I put up in a ponytail. I'll be putting them in a bun as it gets colder.

. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)?
Two strand Twists. In a ponytail or a bun

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Shampoo (Kinky Curly Come Clean), Condition/Deep Treat(Jessicurl Too shea/Jessiecurl Deep), Moisturize Daily (Qhemet Cocoa Tree/Qhemet Amla)

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Longer lengths BSL by end of 2019. WL 2020 *Crosses fingers*

5. How often will you restyle your hair? The very front every week as it gets frizzy from moisturizing daily, the remainder very 2 weeks. I shampoo in twists. Then retwist one by one while deep conditioning, no rinsing after my hair soaks it all up. I'm thinking about detangling weekly but I'll assess as time goes on.

6. Include Starting Pic. Will post better pics later Pics are from 10 days ago. Hair is 10.5in-12in stretched. IMG_20181206_161912-1224x1632.jpg IMG_20181206_161913-1224x1632.jpg

Last edited:

faithVA

Moisturized my twists with just a bit of water. I sealed my ends with crisco. Just need them to stay moisturized 2 more days.

SheWalks

Usually, I can go 14 days without shampooing but my scalp was unusually flaky on day 7. Decided to cowash instead, which I actually haven't done in almost a year. Used Oyin mint, bought a liter a whole year ago and I remember why I did :). My hair felt so good after I rinsed, the type of good where if I didn't know any better I wouldn't follow up with a conditioner. Hopefully it cleaned my scalp well enough, if not I'm off this week so I could always shampoo if necessary. Detangled, retwisted and conditioned with Jessicurl too shea. Also got my hair down to 31 twists, the longer my hair gets the bigger my twists will be. Hats off to you ladies who can maintain mini twists I love the style but, they're a recipe for disaster with my hair.

snoop

Hi everyone, I'm in again.

Two strand twists

Generally, wash weekly and every two weeks. Moisturize and seal my hair every 1 to 3 days.

Natural

To retain 4 inches for the year. That would put me close to TBL.

5. How often will you restyle your hair

Generally, wash weekly and every two weeks either combine twists or break them down to refresh them.

6. Include Starting Pic.

I'll be back to post one soon.

snoop

6. Include Starting Pic.
I will post new pics in Jan.
***Welp, I added a new pic today and it doesn't appear as if my hair has grown this year! Not really sure what happened but my twists do hang longer...hmmm.

The same thing happened to me this year, too. I don't recall experiencing a lot of breakage, but I haven't seen any growth. I feel like my twists are longer as well.

ckisland

Imma put my participation in this challenge on hold, at least for the rest of the month. I haven't finished experimenting with my wash n'go :look: