2019 Twist, Braid, Bun Challenge - No Hiding Your Hair

faithVA

I'm still around and keeping an eye on you ladies. I'm not ready to come back yet. I'm still water rinsing and conditioning every 2 days. I am still flat twisting but not keeping them in for 5 days per challenge rule. I am hoping to improve my moisture levels. I will check back in the end of March.

I will be lurking though.

blazingbeauty

Washed and styled my hair two days ago - my hair and scalp needed to be refreshed.

Old Style: Flat Twist Bun (1 week)
Current Style: Medium/Small Twists in a Low Bun

Observations :
1. My twists have gotten longer since my trim at the end of November (and a few strands, borrowing from Chicoro, have retained in the areas that broke).
2. I figured out how to make my less-than-stellar DCs work for me. I need to add oil and microwave them before applying (honey helps too). I don’t know what it is about microwaving the DC, but it made a lackluster DC plump & clump my coils :afro:.My Hot Head Cap then provides further sustained heat. I hope this will work for other DCs that end up “not working”.

ResultsMayVary

I'll drop these here too. This is the bun I use for stretching until I can do my twists this weekend.

snoop

I've been really lazy with my hair this week and have been wearing it in 4 bantu knots.

I think I want to find a good DC and see if that helps my hair at all. If it does, I think I'll have updated regimen.

blazingbeauty

My hair is so soft and dark these days. I’m noticing steady improvement, and especially now that I’ve gotten my deep conditioners to work. My wash day is this weekend (protein day w/Aphogee), and I’ll be rocking twists in a low bun again for the next 2 weeks.

I think I can go on autopilot now, but it’s like I have to watch the pot boil to be safe. I’ll take a break from hair stuff for a month or two and see what happens.

snoop

My hair is so soft and dark these days. I’m noticing steady improvement, and especially now that I’ve gotten my deep conditioners to work. My wash day is this weekend (protein day w/Aphogee), and I’ll be rocking twists in a low bun again for the next 2 weeks.

I think I can go on autopilot now, but it’s like I have to watch the pot boil to be safe. I’ll take a break from hair stuff for a month or two and see what happens.

Which deep conditioners are you using?

blazingbeauty

Which deep conditioners are you using?

L’Oreal Nature’s Therapy DC + Favorite Oil & Microwaved
SM Manuka Honey Mask + Favorite Oil & Microwaved

The DCs were originally tangling up on my high porosity ends upon rinsing, but once I started adding oil and especially microwaving them - I’ve noticed so much improvement (and this coming from someone who didn’t believe in deep conditioning).

faithVA

This weekend I plan to put in 2 strand twist again. Since I have been doing rinse every other day my hair feels more hydrated. I am going to try rinsing in twist. It has never worked before but I am going to give it a try. If it works I will be back in this challeng. :pray:

faithVA

@faithVA Have you tried just rinsing the last few inches of your twists and avoiding the roots?

I have but it doesn't do any good. The main issue is my scalp needs water every 2 to 3 days and if my scalp is dry then my hair is dry. I've dried dunking my twist, using a nozzle bottle on them and a few other things. Usually my twist just end up crunchyand dry after a day even if I seal them again.

I'm really trying to just keep up with this every other day rinsing and just hoping I can switch to this twist style versus putting in flat twist every other day. Does that make sense.

blazingbeauty

I have but it doesn't do any good. The main issue is my scalp needs water every 2 to 3 days and if my scalp is dry then my hair is dry. I've dried dunking my twist, using a nozzle bottle on them and a few other things. Usually my twist just end up crunchyand dry after a day even if I seal them again.

I'm really trying to just keep up with this every other day rinsing and just hoping I can switch to this twist style versus putting in flat twist every other day. Does that make sense.

Oh ok that makes sense. Well, please rejoin when you can. Hopefully it will work out. And updates please!

snoop

L’Oreal Nature’s Therapy DC + Favorite Oil & Microwaved
SM Manuka Honey Mask + Favorite Oil & Microwaved

The DCs were originally tangling up on my high porosity ends upon rinsing, but once I started adding oil and especially microwaving them - I’ve noticed so much improvement (and this coming from someone who didn’t believe in deep conditioning).

Thanks! These tips are helpful!

blazingbeauty

Thanks! These tips are helpful!

Please note: there are certain products that I won’t heat up - Protein Treatments and products that contain certain preservatives I can post them below:

Formaldehyde, quaternium-15, dimethyl-dimethyl (DMDM) hydantoin, imidazolidinyl urea, diazolidinyl urea, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate, 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol (bromopol).

snoop

Please note: there are certain products that I won’t heat up - Protein Treatments and products that contain certain preservatives I can post them below:

Formaldehyde, quaternium-15, dimethyl-dimethyl (DMDM) hydantoin, imidazolidinyl urea, diazolidinyl urea, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate, 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol (bromopol).

Good to know. Does this include heating up with a steam cap? Right now I use zero DCs. I'm hoping to find something that doesn't contain too many chemicals that I'm not familiar with -- or ones with formaldehyde. :look:

blazingbeauty

Good to know. Does this include heating up with a steam cap? Right now I use zero DCs. I'm hoping to find something that doesn't contain too many chemicals that I'm not familiar with -- or ones with formaldehyde. :look:

Didn’t mean to scare! I tend to think that if the directions say you can apply heat/a warm towel it should be fine in terms of the steam cap. Personally, I’m generally not too concerned about ingredients unless irritating, but I wanted to make sure you knew just in case you tested out the microwaving.

A lot of quality hair care products for natural hair tend toward less offensive preservatives anyway (those that are not formaldehyde releasing when heated). I microwave my DCs to the level a warm water bath would. Finally, long storage time was also indicated (not just heat alone) for higher release from these preservatives, so I really don’t really “care” as long as I exercise caution/moderation.

ResultsMayVary

Not sure if the changes I made to my regimen will fit into this challenge.

I have been wearing my hair in a bun pretty much every day but I also started co-washing/rinsing my hair every other day. (which may be too much manipulation for the low manipulation requirement)

But... I only use a comb to detangle once a week.

My rinse sessions are just standing under the showerhead and allowing the water to separate my (already stretched) hair. Then I either apply a leave-in or cheap conditioner, seal, and lightly twist to allow it to air dry before bunning.

I realized wearing a style 5 days without that rinse and leave-in caused me much more breakage than usual. I tried using so many different moisturizing sprays but my hair was like...

faithVA

Not sure if the changes I made to my regimen will fit into this challenge.

I have been wearing my hair in a bun pretty much every day but I also started co-washing/rinsing my hair every other day. (which may be too much manipulation for the low manipulation requirement)

But... I only use a comb to detangle once a week.

My rinse sessions are just standing under the showerhead and allowing the water to separate my (already stretched) hair. Then I either apply a leave-in or cheap conditioner, seal, and lightly twist to allow it to air dry before bunning.

I realized wearing a style 5 days without that rinse and leave-in caused me much more breakage than usual. I tried using so many different moisturizing sprays but my hair was like...

Yeah, this may not be the thread for you. I'm doing the same thing you are but styling differently. I'm the host and I'm not participating in the challenge because I am rinsing and styling every other day.

You are welcome to come over to the moisturizing challenge thread, even if you aren't really working on moisture so much. But it some place to post that may be more in line with what you are doing.

https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...n-moisture-levels-challenge-3-15-6-15.842631/

ckisland

I read through all the posts for the 2018 challenge, and I think I want to give it a shot :look:.
I really want to grow my hair to WL by the end of next year, so I can't be playing around LOL!

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)?
Halo twists, twist buns, French braids, and (hopefully) Dutch braids

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?

I want to give a little background info. My hair is extremely low porosity, and most commercial products give me build up.

Cleanse 1x week
Play around with skipping conditioner and going straight to leave-in/styler
Wear hair out 1-2 days
Protective style days 3-7

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?

Natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
APL by June and BSL by the end of the year. I want to minimize split ends and SSKs

5. How often will you restyle your hair?

1x a week

6. Include Starting Pic.

Will post later

I am rejoining this challenge!! I had a setback from my a month of product-less wash n'gos and I'm on the rebound.
Here's my starting pic (sorry for it being so dark)

20190310_105111-768x1024.jpg
Starting length: SL

20190314_200221-768x1024.jpg
Twist n'curl

Last edited:

ResultsMayVary

Yeah, this may not be the thread for you. I'm doing the same thing you are but styling differently. I'm the host and I'm not participating in the challenge because I am rinsing and styling every other day.

You are welcome to come over to the moisturizing challenge thread, even if you aren't really working on moisture so much. But it some place to post that may be more in line with what you are doing.

https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...n-moisture-levels-challenge-3-15-6-15.842631/

Thank you!

snoop

I've been doing well with the twists. Since my last check in, I've been wearing jumbo twists and last week I wore plaits in my hair. As of last night I'm back to mini-twists. I missed not having them in. I trim on a schedule, but I missed my last trim date and so I'll just wait until June to do my first trim for the year.

I'll try to post a picture, soon.

blazingbeauty

I’ve still been following my protective style schedule and the challenge rules. I’ve actually been dusting and s&ding every 3 months as well ( better safe than sorry). I’ve streamlined my deep conditioning even more, and I made a shea butter mix that I’m loving thanks to the shea butter challenge. Overall, my hair has been making progress (fingers crossed at least).

blazingbeauty

Gonna install long-ish marley twists in my hair at the end of May. I’m using the one pass I gave to myself at the beginning of the year, so I will be temporarily bowing out of this challenge from June to the end of July.

I’ve been in a sleek high crown bun with no added hair for the past week and half going on two weeks.

SheWalks

Still in twists haven't taken a day off but I've been going back and forth between mini twists and normal two strand twists and haven't settled. Will probably settle somewhere around 60-80 twists and do twist out on Fridays during the summer to help with hair boredom. Still chugging along. I wish I was more comfortable wearing my twists down but I'd like more length without stretching first.