2019 Wsl Challenge!

nyeredzi

I measured my hair, most parts are about 15" root to tip. So I intend to try this general regimen until the end of the year. If I can retain at least 1.5" in the 4+ months from when I started to the end of the year, I'll consider it a success.

Not quite 2 months later, most of my hair is 16" from root to tip. So, so far so good. I've been having more breakage than usual. I was thinking maybe I need a protein treatment. But then I remembered that I used to use coconut oil and didn't have this problem, even with barely ever doing a protein treatment. Coconut oil is strengthening, right? I'm going to go back to using it. I had switched for no real reason, to use up a bottle of another oil mix, primarily castor, that I had. I was enjoying castor oil, my hair was feeling soft and it was helping with the tangles. But I'm going back to using coconut oil at least half the time.

nyeredzi

I see WSL challenge is not popping this year, huh? :lol: Oh well.

I had to dig for this challenge, only to find there have been no new posts since last time I checked. :( My length is basically the same as when I posted 4 months ago. :/ Which figures, because I have not been putting time into my hair and doing things as quickly as possible, which always results in breakage. Since last month, that is. At least for the last month, I've been trying to be gentler, tying to figure out a way where I only comb only every other wash, and finger detangle every other wash. My intention now is to wash weekly, alternating using a comb and finger detangling, and blow drying once a month. I measured my hair, most parts are about 15" root to tip. So I intend to try this general regimen until the end of the year. If I can retain at least 1.5" in the 4+ months from when I started to the end of the year, I'll consider it a success.

So I'm calling the method generally a success. 3 months after posting this, my hair is 2" longer in most places, 17" root to tip now. I need to get dh in for a length check picture, we'll see if I make it by year's end. My memory says 18" is needed for me to make wsl, but we'll see where I am in 3 weeks and if my memory was accurate.

MzSwift

:lachen: @nyeredzi

2" in 3 months sounds VERY good to me! Sounds like the coconut oil was it. I'm glad you recognized what change was needed. I have to go back to my old hair logs to find out what I used to do that was right.

nyeredzi

:lachen: @nyeredzi

2" in 3 months sounds VERY good to me! Sounds like the coconut oil was it. I'm glad you recognized what change was needed. I have to go back to my old hair logs to find out what I used to do that was right.
Yeah, it seems to be working, though I'm always a little hesitant for things I/people have only been doing for a while. Could be a fluke, I mismeasured one day, whatever. But keeping a log sounds like a good idea .. more discipline than I have, but a good idea. But, I have been successful in having to wash/detangle my hair as much, which is a success in and of itself.

I am using coconut sometimes now, and also I did the Aphogee 2 minute. The difference was noticeable. I now need to find a good moisturizing conditioner. My hair feels strong, but could use more softness/suppleness.

I just got a new flat iron, a 1" Babyliss. So I'll be looking to straighten in the next couple of weeks. I need to find a heat protectant...

MzSwift

Yeah, it seems to be working, though I'm always a little hesitant for things I/people have only been doing for a while. Could be a fluke, I mismeasured one day, whatever. But keeping a log sounds like a good idea .. more discipline than I have, but a good idea. But, I have been successful in having to wash/detangle my hair as much, which is a success in and of itself.

I am using coconut sometimes now, and also I did the Aphogee 2 minute. The difference was noticeable. I now need to find a good moisturizing conditioner. My hair feels strong, but could use more softness/suppleness.

I just got a new flat iron, a 1" Babyliss. So I'll be looking to straighten in the next couple of weeks. I need to find a heat protectant...

I consider myself a slower-than-average grower, only about 4"-5" a year. So your 2" in 3 months retention is awesome to me, even if it's an estimate! Lol.

Yes, that that protein-moisture balance is definitely something I work to maintain as well. IF you don't already have a good moisturizing DC that's working to restore your softness, maybe you can try adding 1.5 tsp - 1.5 TBSP of salt (table or sea) to your favorite DC. I did that once, many years ago, after a henna tx left my hair crispy and it's been a staple of mine ever since. I've even done it weekly for years on natural hair with no ill effects.

Also, I've been using Fantasia IC heat serum since 2010 and haven't experienced any heat damage. Have you tried it? I've tried a few spray ones too but I just don't feel like I'm able to get even coverage with a spray unless I spray it into my hands and rub it in.

I use this one:

upload_2019-12-15_10-24-57.jpeg

GL finding a new DC and heat protectant! I hope you post your results when you've finished straightening.

nyeredzi

n a staple of mine ever since. I've even done it weekly for years on natural hair with no ill effects.

Also, I've been using Fantasia IC heat serum since 2010 and haven't experienced any heat damage. Have you tried it? I've tried a few spray ones too but I just don't feel like I'm able to get even coverage with a spray unless I spray it into my hands and rub it in.

I use this one:
.View attachment 453733

GL finding a new DC and heat protectant! I hope you post your results when you've finished straightening.

Thanks, i just got the spray version of this one. This is my first time trying it. honestly, i don't think i've ever experienced heat damage anyway, and i generally didn't use a heat protectant when flat ironing. so i probably won't experience any this time either. so it's hard to know if it work or not, lol. i also flat iron at lower heat than most, never above 350. but i liked the shine of the hair when i was done. i also got a new flat iron, a babyliss, so i'm not sure how much of it was this heat protectant / polisher and how much was the new flat iron.

here's a not great picture. didn't quite make this goal, about 1/2" away. i'm trying to place my thumb at my waist for comparison. i need a trim, but will not do it until i am past waist length by an inch (so at least 1/5" away), and then i'll trim 1" max. I'm not going shorter than WL again any time soon if i can help it. next year, i hope for hip, which is less than 3" away now!

20191222_215110.jpg

MzSwift

I've been lurking and doing a personal WL challenge and I also grazed WL this year. I've posted my EOTY pic all over, Lol. It was taken last month and my hair is currently in twist extensions that I'll likely keep for the first few months of next year at least. I need lazy hair right now!

I hope you all have met or gotten really close to your goals as well! Happy Holidays, ladies! :)

View media item 130419