2020 Twist, Braid, Bun Challenge - No Hiding Your Hair

faithVA

Took my twist out tonight and cleansed and conditioner. I haven't put it up yet. Tomorrow I will rinse and gel and put in flat twist.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Thinking about retwisting my hair tonight. I dont like how it feels or looks.

Hmm, I might sit under the steamer and let the moisture sink in.

Lissa0821

I really try to stretch my wash day two weeks but I have to face the facts, my hair is fine and gets weighed down easily. My twist look limp and stringy today :kick:. Gonna wash and redo my twist tonight...

faithVA

Finally put my hair up for the week. I parted down the middle with 5 or so flat twist on each side.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Washed yesterday and put in some twists today.

Trying to work on my flat twist skills so I put in 4 on the front on each side with twists in the back. They aren’t great but not too bad.

snoop

I'm starting my fourth week in mini twists. This time I am doing something that I've never done before and I've extended my wash day for the duration that these twists are in. My hair feels great but I definitely want to wash them this on the upcoming weekend.

snoop

I washed my hair on the weekend and put my hair into 9 braids. I feel like this style won't last if I'm constantly moisturizing and massaging.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I'll wash this weekend. The results of this past weekend were positive so I might try for 3 months and then reassess.

Lissa0821

I am now smoothing my ends with Camille Rose Almond Jai butter instead of twirling the ends of my twist to create a curl on my ends. I need to figure out ways to minimize the single strand knots.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I'm not sure if I'm joining this challenge but I am on a mission to wear my own hair out. Right now I am wearing the most pitiful self installed twists. Parting space, uniform sizes and thickness are for when other people doing my hair, when I do it, it's called, "how fast can I get done".

Although, I do need clarification in one area. Even at my best effort, my twists always have an undefined coiled look like passion twists or this. You can tell that they are twists but they are more springy than twisted.

How do you get this ropey look instead without extensions?
Even when I do my twists on dry hair, the gel rewets it and it shrinks into that passion twisty look.

guyaneseyankee

I'm not sure if I'm joining this challenge but I am on a mission to wear my own hair out. Right now I am wearing the most pitiful self installed twists. Parting space, uniform sizes and thickness are for when other people doing my hair, when I do it, it's called, "how fast can I get done".

Although, I do need clarification in one area. Even at my best effort, my twists always have an undefined coiled look like passion twists or this. You can tell that they are twists but they are more springy than twisted.

Even when I do my twists on dry hair, the gel rewets it and it shrinks into that passion twisty look.

I think I know what you mean. Could it be the texture of your hair? What type are you ? That's all that came to mind

ETA: Instead of gel (which wets your hair) can you try a twisting cream or something heavier (I use shea butter) to form the ropes?

snoop

Do you do Senegalese/Rope twists? If you keep the tension even it should look like the second picture.

I have to check YT to see how people make passion twists....

faithVA

To get this look I definitely do this on wet hair and with gel. I'm twisting both pieces at the same time and then twisting those 2 pieces around each other.

Your pic looks like you may be twisting one piece around the other without twisting it first.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I think I know what you mean. Could it be the texture of your hair? What type are you ? That's all that came to mind

ETA: Instead of gel (which wets your hair) can you try a twisting cream or something heavier (I use shea butter) to form the ropes?
I'm solidly 4 but I think my hair with twists (and gel) looks like the first chick but if I just put grease or butters in it then it looks like the second lady's.

Creams and grease usually means I have fly aways along the length of the twists whereas gel keeps my hair in place until I wash it. I'll try it next time because it can't look much worse than what's going on in my head right now. I've always been style challenged so this ain't new. Thanks to wigs I haven't had to attempt doing presentable twists for years so I realize I'm rusty but again, even my best efforts were just passable.
Do you do Senegalese/Rope twists? If you keep the tension even it should look like the second picture.

I have to check YT to see how people make passion twists....
I want to do sengalese /rope twists but my hair always comes out looking like rolled blunts. :cry3: