2020 Twist, Braid, Bun Challenge - No Hiding Your Hair

snoop

I set out to install medium twists, but ended up with mini twists. My goal is to keep them in for three weeks.

yamilee21

... How do you get this ropey look instead without extensions? ...

I haven’t tried this on my own hair yet, but the last time I did twists on my daughter’s hair, I blow-dried her hair first. Twists on her air-dried hair don’t come out any better than on just washed/damp hair, but on the blow-dried hair, they were amazing - they lasted two weeks and had minimal shrinkage, and kept that “ropey” look the whole time instead of shriveling up and looking scraggly. (I could have left them in longer, but she has scalp issues.)

ETA: I used oil and Shea butter with only a little gel along the edges.

Alta Angel

I have washed/hennaed/conditioned so far. I am letting my braids air dry. Not sure if I am going to mini-twist or wear a bun for a week.

guyaneseyankee

Ahhh relief.. I’m prepooing with aloe and oil. I haven’t even washed yet, and my scalp feels like heaven
I’ve never used aloe before , I enjoyed it
I’ll wash later and just style in a bun for a week. I don’t feel like twisting hair this weekend

have a great weekend ladies

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Ahhh relief.. I’m prepooing with aloe and oil. I haven’t even washed yet, and my scalp feels like heaven
I’ve never used aloe before , I enjoyed it
I’ll wash later and just style in a bun for a week. I don’t feel like twisting hair this weekend

have a great weekend ladies
I’m thinking about a bun myself. I have to stretch my hair in twists first though @guyaneseyankee

charmtreese

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)?

Twist

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?

Prepoo, shampoo, protein, deep conditioner, leave-In’s, twist every two weeks.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?

natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?

I was trim heavy last year. Hope to gain some more inches this year.

5. How often will you restyle your hair?

every two weeks

6. Include Starting Pic.
A9314C2A-8C43-4168-921B-9135D5D35FA0.jpeg
AE8D4D8F-0731-40C1-9EE9-0AD8950565C1.jpeg

Honeypot

I'm solidly 4 but I think my hair with twists (and gel) looks like the first chick but if I just put grease or butters in it then it looks like the second lady's.

Creams and grease usually means I have fly aways along the length of the twists whereas gel keeps my hair in place until I wash it. I'll try it next time because it can't look much worse than what's going on in my head right now. I've always been style challenged so this ain't new. Thanks to wigs I haven't had to attempt doing presentable twists for years so I realize I'm rusty but again, even my best efforts were just passable.

I want to do sengalese /rope twists but my hair always comes out looking like rolled blunts. :cry3:
It's your technique. Watch some videos as suggested. It's not the products

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I might be out of this challenge for a few weeks in March. Im going out of town at the end of March and I was thinking about a specific style that includes crochet....I'll see.

Alta Angel

LHCF bun.jpg I have been so lazy and have primarily worn buns since the beginning of the year...the flu wiped me out. I am steaming my hair now and I am going to start installing mini-twists at 6. Hopefully I will be done by 1 a.m. :cry3:

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Back into twists for the week. I have to admit, my hair is so much easier on wash day after its been twisted for the week and only out for one day.

My hair appt is the 11th so I'll be in a crochet style for around 6 weeks or so.

snoop

I decided to sport some large plaits for the week.

Normally, I don't like wearing them because they're a pain to loosen. Yesterday, I decided to detangle with a comb so I was able to part my hair neatly and the braids look smoother. I might keep this up because the stretch from braids will keep my hair from getting tangled.

Lita

Washed & Dc..Swoop curls on the side & twist in the back..

Happy Hair Growing!

snoop

Took my plaits out, washed them, then installed three strand twists using the same parts.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Didnt get my hair braided because my stylist didnt fly into NY.

Washed my hair this Saturday and its currently in some raggedy looking twists.

snoop

This week, I'm back in braids.

I will say, that the three strand twists kept my hair nice and stretched as well as "tangle free". I think that I'll continue to alternate between these large braids and twists for the next little while.

apple_natural

I may be back starting in April. Depends on how my hair looks when I get it straightened. If it's depressing, I'm getting braids. If not, I'll keep it out. I want to do braid outs and flexirods.. and buns.