2020 What Did You Eat For Your Hair Today? Challenge

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Hi Ladies!!! :wave::rosebud::rosebud::rosebud::rosebud::rosebud::rosebud:

We do so many things for our hair with protective styling, deep conditioning, growth aides, natural products, ayurveda, oils, butters, low manipulation and the list goes on.

But the biggest contributor to hair health is our DIET

You are what you eat!

Personally a few years ago I experienced stress related hair loss. I have been on the restoration road and happy, thanks to topical treatments but I also know improving my diet helped significantly.

We all have stressful lives at times and it's so easy to put something into our bodies that is easy, tastes good or makes us feel better... but doesn't
nourish our bodies. Our hair and nails are the last on the priority list for nutrients. We cannot expect our hair to reach its full potential with a poor or even average diet.

Let's create a space where we can exchange recipes, life hacks , post interesting articles and encourage each other to stay consistent :yep:

:yay:Challenge Rules:yay:

1. Tell us about your hair now and how you hope improving your diet can improve it over the next year.

Feel free to share any specific foods/supplements you plan to consume.

2. Come check in everyday.
Even if you ate donuts all day! Accountability makes a difference! and when we fall off we are here to help each other get back on track :yep:

I'll post a template for the intro that you can fill in.

:eat:Like this post to join:eat:

Let's realize our full hair potential this year
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
:thewave::thewave::thewave:
:theteam::theteam::theteam::theteam:
:trophy::trophy::trophy:

Last edited:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Starting point: WL, medium density

Hair issues diet can improve:
I want to get back to my original hair density and improve my growth rate; right now its between 1/4 to a 1/2" a month. I also want better "quality" hair. I can see the difference in shine and smoothness between my length from 3 years ago to now. The texture is different. I don't think its just age. I feel it is diet as well.

Goals this year: HL hair and the crown of my head back to its former density I lost about 1/3 of my thickness. I also want to get back to a healthier diet generally cutting out processed food and get back to making all of my own meals :yep:

Any specific foods/supplments you plan to include on this journey?
I want to include at least 1 nutrient dense food everyday. I have various sea veggies and I also grow my own sprouts, in addition to fruits, veggies (particularly greens) nuts and seeds:yep:

I also plan to start incorporating whole food supplents. I'm just going to start dabbling with moringa and tumeric powders and get back to taking regular vitamins. I have Vit C, B -complex and zinc.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Last night I made a my own pasta sauce with about 12 tomatoes and a whole head of garlic :lick: I thickened it by adding red lentils for a protein punch :yep:

Today satisfied my chocolate craving with a choco smoothie:
1 banana
1 tbs oatmeal
1tsp honey
2tsp chia seed
4 raw cashews
spirulina powder
dulse
2 tbs cocoa powder :giggle:

I put a buttload of cocoa powder so I could only taste chocolate :lick: Dulse is really good for you but tastes... :fan: :lol:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Lunch was a potato red lentil curry. Lots of tumeric and fenugreek seeds, onion, garlic and ginger. Put some fresh chopped tomato on top.

http://[url=https://ibb.co/TmZHpbQ][img]https://i.ibb.co/72HG8R3/20200112-124910.jpg
Will save some for lunch at work tomorrow.

Sorry I gotta shrink these pics :lol:

NicWhite

Starting point: Shoulder length

I want to get back to my original hair density and improve my growth rate, I also want better "quality" hair. I think my breakage is from certain vitamin deficiencies, namely iron. Also, I want to improve my dry scalp.

Goals this year: I want to improve thickness, help fill in my edges. I also had severe postpartum shedding. Hoping to grow my hair to the longest it has ever been in my life.

I Have a good diet but I know I can continue to improve by drinking more water and eating more raw food. I am eating more raw salads and raw onions. Incorporating more vegetable juice.

I also plan to start incorporating whole food supplents. I'm using moringa, maca root, ashwaganda, cacao and tumeric powders. I also take probiotics to get my digestion back on track, vitamin D, calcium, regular multivitamin.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Starting point: Shoulder length

I want to get back to my original hair density and improve my growth rate, I also want better "quality" hair. I think my breakage is from certain vitamin deficiencies, namely iron. Also, I want to improve my dry scalp.

Goals this year: I want to improve thickness, help fill in my edges. I also had severe postpartum shedding. Hoping to grow my hair to the longest it has ever been in my life.

I Have a good diet but I know I can continue to improve by drinking more water and eating more raw food. I am eating more raw salads and raw onions. Incorporating more vegetable juice.

I also plan to start incorporating whole food supplents. I'm using moringa, maca root, ashwaganda, cacao and tumeric powders. I also take probiotics to get my digestion back on track, vitamin D, calcium, regular multivitamin.

Welcome! Sounds like a solid plan :yep: I do juice but the clean-up of my juicer is a major deterrent. I guess I could make large batches at a time?

I was thinking about vit D today, so I picked up some good ol' fashioned cod liver oil :yep:

Last edited:

prettydarkthing

Starting point: BSL
Hair issues diet can improve: Would like my hair to thicken up and grow faster, seems like it's stalled.
Goals this year: Thicker/stronger new hair growth, it would be great to get to WL.
Any specific foods/supplments you plan to include on this journey?:
  • I'm staying on top of my supplements as mentioned in the That Girl Challenge, so Vit D/K/Mag/Cal (it's one supplement), vit C, Coq10, BB supp around my cycle.
  • Green powders like chlorella, barley grass, wheat grass.
  • I also purposely eat chia, flax seeds, walnuts, and sardines for the fats.
  • I will add more nutritional yeast and dulse to my food.
  • Water is not supplement, but I've been cutting my sugars, so I'm replacing most sugary/processed drinks with water/herbal tea. I've been trying to seek out things sweetened with stevia or xylitol if I want something sweet, which helps limit sweets because options are slim. I'm aiming for 64oz water a day.
  • Anything else I can think of I will add.
Today: Breakfast was eggs with mushrooms and onions, piece of toast with non-dairy butter and chia pudding with berries, lunch was the last few chips left over, a beef stick and a berry/banana/coconut milk smoothie, dinner was a hotdog and burger which I wasn't planning to eat, but was given to me. Dessert was applesauce.

ckisland

Starting point:
APL
I've recently been experiencing excessive shedding and breakage. I'm figuring that a lot of the issue is external (my hair is heat trained), but my hair also lacks fullness. I also want to increase my growth rate.
Goals this year:
MBL/WL :pray:
I want to eat fish and seafood as my primary protein and omega-3s. I plan to incorporate chia seeds, dark greens, eggs (for biotin. I've noticed that my nails are pretty brittle) and beans into my regular meals. I may also add in collagen supplements, but I need to check and see if I have any.

Here's an article about the best foods for hair
https://www.webmd.com/beauty/ss/slideshow-foods-healthy-hair

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
This is something helpful for my hair.

Starting point: APL

Filling in my crown area which is thin

Goals this year:
Volume over length. I have fine hair which seems resistant to filling in.

Any specific foods/supplements you plan to include on this journey?

Maybe one more course of Chinese herbs. I'm trying to supplement my diet with Superfoods, collagen and aloe vera daily. Plus exercise regularly to ensure I'm getting proper blood flow to my scalp.

prettydarkthing

It looks like I closed out the window before my post from last night loaded.

Yesterday 1/13:
Breakfast: banana and 16oz water
Lunch: sardines and crackers, an orange 16oz water
Dinner: a very large salad with radishes, cabbage, and baby greens topped with homemade tahini dressing, nutritional yeast and dulse flakes, pasta with turkey meat sauce, bread with vegan butter, 16 oz water
Vit C, Coq10, Vit D/K/Mg/Cal

Today:
Breakfast: coconut chia seed pudding with strawberries and blueberries 16oz water
Lunch: sardines and crackers, a banana, an orange 16oz water
Dinner: a smaller salad than yesterday made of baby greens and cabbage topped with dulse, nutritional yeast, and olive oil/acv, pasta with turkey meat sauce, bread with vegan butter, a few bites of an eggplant wrap hubby bought home, 16 oz water
Vit C, Coq10, Vit D/K/Mg/Cal

I have to place an order for more vits this week, running low on everything.

I'm starting to realize I eat the heaviest during the evening.