2021 Let's Talk! APL - BSL/MBL Challenge

What is your 2021 hair length goal??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GGsKin

This weekend, I'll wash and braid down my hair. I plan to try out this closure wig I finished making today, and my hair lays best underneath, when in canerows. I didn't want to commit, but I can't do things by halves.

apple_natural

October - Let's Talk - Trimming!
Feel free to add questions or other comments. This is just a starter...

1. Is it time for a trim?
2. How often do you trim?
3. Do you search and destroy or go for an even look?
4. How many inches would you consider a cut vs a trim?

October Mini-Challenges
- Trim!
- Schedule an appointment at least lol
- In the name of end health, baggy ends a few times this month?
- Take a photo of bomb ends if you don't need a trim. We need proof! lol

apple_natural

I am losing my edges for little apparent reason. I don't think I've been wearing halo twists for any considerable amount of time. I haven't been doing anything to it really. I've not been wearing braids or anything. I don't know what the deal is. I've started putting on an oil mixed with minoxidil. I wonder if this will do anything. I've also start microneedling once a week. We'll see.

I don't think my hair is growing. It should be considerably longer than it is if it was growing. It couldn't be breaking. I do nothing to it. I am not heating it. I'm not doing anything. It's literally in two side buns and thats it. I think the problem is nutrition. I'm trying to remember my vitamins, but I don't. I also don't eat well, so if this is the reason. I guess my hair just isn't going to grow. There is no reason why it should be pulling to the same place it was at in January. I'm irritated. I guess I'm not that irritated or else I would take better care of myself and see if that helps.

HealthyHair2020

October Mini-Challenges
- Trim!
1. Kinda? I dust my ends all the time but it's time for a proper trim.
2. Normally every 2 to 3 months.
3. I aim for even ends but don't know know if they ever get even lol.
4. Anything more than 2 inches is considered a cut for me.

Mini-challenge
I'll trim within the month. Every time I go to book an appointment I end up not booking anything half because of the price and half because of I'm scared they'll take me back to shoulder length.

Neomorph

October Mini-Challenges
- Trim!
1. I actually just trimmed at the end of September
2. I try to trim ever 10-12 weeks
3. LOL well I attempt to go for an even look but I wear my hair curly most of the time so it doesn't really matter
4. Anything over 2 inches is a cut

I will baggy my ends at leasta couple of times this month!

Kells

October Mini-Challenges
- Trim!
I just trimmed today, I cut around an inch or so.

Here’s my progress so far.
I’d say I’m at full collarbone
Before & After trim

Attachments

• 00206A03-489D-4D76-AFC2-DECB58646232.jpeg
    00206A03-489D-4D76-AFC2-DECB58646232.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 865C3F76-9314-4F37-84F8-106221B42898.jpeg
    865C3F76-9314-4F37-84F8-106221B42898.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 4DF41399-B046-4E51-A238-58A5D7CC8EE5.jpeg
    4DF41399-B046-4E51-A238-58A5D7CC8EE5.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 39

apple_natural

October Mini-Challenges
- Trim!
Trimmed today on blow out before I put in box braids. The ends didn't straighten all the way, so I don't know how much I cut. I'd say it was a light trim.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
It will be 6 weeks on Saturday. I have to figure out a game plan to get these crochet locs out. She wrapped hair around the loc after crocheting it in so, that will be a little annoying to take it down.

I low key wanna bribe someone to come help.

icsonia22

It's been time for a trim but I'm waiting until all of my hair reaches my goal since the hair in the back is a completely different length
I don't
I cut out the occasional ssk
An inch is a cut for me. It takes 3 months for me to grow an inch.

Last edited:

icsonia22

Update. Pics taken during the end of August. I'm not even sure which number is considered MBL on this shirt. The left pic is the longer part of my hair and the right pic is from growing out an undercut.

Attachments

• 20210827_150222_copy_756x1008_1.jpg
    20210827_150222_copy_756x1008_1.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210827_150150_copy_756x1008_1.jpg
    20210827_150150_copy_756x1008_1.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 32

GGsKin

I trimmed/ cut today. I should've trimmed my hair before I braided it up in Sept, so I did so today after blowdrying.

I aim to trim every 3-4 months. The sides and back of my hair tend to grow faster than my crown, and I've been trying to even out the layers for years.

I used to search and destroy quite often but I realised that probably wasn't helpful, when overall, I would like an even hemline (although I wear my hair straight infrequently).

I consider 1inch or less, a trim. I cut about 2+inches from the sides today.

Mapleoats

I took out my faux locs last week, had them in for 6 weeks. My hair looks and feels good but my scalp is irritated and I think I experienced some thinning/ bald spots in my hair line :/ . I’m going to take a good break from protective styling and go back to babying my hair like I did in 2020.

I need to find a balance though, as the amount of time I spent on my hair last year was unsunstainable, and the lack of time I’ve spent on my hair this year I don’t want to repeat. My hair is also long enough now that I like how most styles look with just my own hair, so I don’t think I’ll “need” any protective styles for a while.

Attachments

• 14A031FC-BF2B-492E-A082-DCCB1EC4D7ED.jpeg
    14A031FC-BF2B-492E-A082-DCCB1EC4D7ED.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

KenyafromCT

Good morning! I know I’m late to the party. I’ve reached shoulder length. My back is almost to my APL I think. I’ll post a pic. So my next challenge is true APL/BSL.
I big chopped 5/2018. It was horrible for 2 years. Had no idea what natural hair was. I was relaxed from the age of 9-49. But I have learned my hair. And it’s flourishing.

Mapleoats

Going down memory lane a little bit with me hair. first pic is Aug 2018 after I had my hair straightened to put clip ins. I was shocked by how raggedy it looked and it was the wake up call that propelled me to start a hair journey. The next pics are august 2019 my hair was much much healthier though not much longer. Joined LHCF December 2019 and thats when my hair really took off.
877F1C40-F231-4321-97CF-B1559F6D0266.jpeg

can’t believe I’m going for MBL now. Me in 2018 wouldn’t believe it!

Attachments

• 8C51ED77-0F81-4DCD-9467-B6DC183740BF.jpeg
    8C51ED77-0F81-4DCD-9467-B6DC183740BF.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 232

apple_natural

November!! Protective Styles!!
1. What is your relationship with protective styles? Stay in them? Hate them? Love/hate them?
2. Any "protective" style NOT offer any protection for you?
3. How long or short do you keep it in the style?
4. Post a photo of your favorite protective style!

November mini-challenge
1. Make your style less boring
2. Care for your hair if your coming out of a style....@Bettedaviseyes
3. Put in a new style!

How timely since I'm putting in box braids...

I've been braiding my hair forever. I took the first set out since I didn't like them. The someone stole my box of braiding hair that I ordered.... I got another shipment and it was cut open. It must have been a white guy because he decided he needed want this set or they just didnt need anymore. I need to finish half.

Last edited:

Mapleoats

Thank you! @Mapleoats

I’m still trying to find my best blow out products. I don’t necessarily need them to be super lightweight, because I don’t blow my hair out to actually wear it out like that or to flat iron. I’m more concerned with it being moisturized and smooth. Lately I’ve been using:

Olaplex #6 leave-in + Olaplex #7 serum

Or

Aveda Smooth Infusion style prep smoother + Aveda Smooth Infusion naturally straight styling cream

Or

Kerastase Nectar Thermique blow dry primer
I’m thinking of trying the aveda smooth Infusion prep and naturally straight styling cream. Do they actually work to help straighten out hair as they claim?

Theresamonet

I’m thinking of trying the aveda smooth Infusion prep and naturally straight styling cream. Do they actually work to help straighten out hair as they claim?

I’m sorry, I actually wrote the wrong product there. I use the smooth infusion style prep + smooth infusion glossing straightener… not the naturally straight. I do have that product, but I chickened out of using it.

I love the glossing straightener, btw.

Mapleoats

I’m sorry, I actually wrote the wrong product there. I use the smooth infusion style prep + smooth infusion glossing straightener… not the naturally straight. I do have that product, but I chickened out of using it.

I love the glossing straightener, btw.
Haha okay thank you! I will probably pick up all 3. I’m already planning out my end of year silk press :drunk:

HealthyHair2020

Used the revair for the first time today and WOW I am impressed! Definitely worth the loud noises and the price. Had no arm pain after using it.

This is how my hair is looking. There's definitely a disconnect between the front and the back of my hair but no matter how much I try to connect them, the back grows much faster than the front. Looks a mullet sometimes in a twistout.

Only used some cream at the end of the flat twists since my hair reverts pretty easily.

20211120_192527.jpg
Idk what length to call where I'm at right now but I think on a whole I'm between APL and BSL.

20211120_193300.jpg

Sanity

Cosmetologist
I've made it to my 2nd year natural anniversary! I guess that I can officially claim shoulder length!. Maybe I will reach my goal of Bsl by next winter. I am leaning towards becoming a heat trained natural, as my natural hair requires so much time to maintain. I am braiding my hair up for the winter. Length check in March 2022.

Attachments

• 20211120_172343.jpg
    20211120_172343.jpg
    616.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited: