• We will be performing necessary maintenance on the forum and related hardware from Satuday 25th of September onward. Users might experience some downtime, which we will ensure that it is limited - if at all noticeable.

2021 Let's Talk! APL - BSL/MBL Challenge

What is your 2021 hair length goal??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mapleoats

I’m sorry, I actually wrote the wrong product there. I use the smooth infusion style prep + smooth infusion glossing straightener… not the naturally straight. I do have that product, but I chickened out of using it.

I love the glossing straightener, btw.
Update — used the style prep and glossing straightener today for my blow out. I love love love them definitely one of my best blow outs to date :love: I want to try the kerastase thermique Eventually as well!

Theresamonet

Update — used the style prep and glossing straightener today for my blow out. I love love love them definitely one of my best blow outs to date :love: I want to try the kerastase thermique Eventually as well!

Glad it worked for you! The glossing straightener is my fave blow out cream thus far. I like it better than the Kerastase nectar thermique. I still have the Kerastase ciment thermique, IGK good behavior, and the naturally straight to try. I’m done after that. Not buying anymore blowout creams. :lol:

Mapleoats

Glad it worked for you! The glossing straightener is my fave blow out cream thus far. I like it better than the Kerastase nectar thermique. I still have the Kerastase ciment thermique, IGK good behavior, and the naturally straight to try. I’m done after that. Not buying anymore blowout creams. :lol:
I hardly used any and my hair is sooo soft. I’m tempted to run my flat iron over it just cause lol.

are you still loving your airwrap? I definitely am, but I’m thinking I want to pick up the regular dyson blow dryer too :look:

Mapleoats

Gave myself a nice trim today. My last trim was…. August 13! Almost 16 weeks ago!
:drunk:
Wow, I didn’t realize it’s been so long, my hair was definitely starting to show signs of needing a trim.
I’ve been trimming roughly every 8 weeks this year and has been serving me well. Glad to see I can push it to 16 weeks without too much trouble. I think I will keep a 12 week cadence going forward.

On a more rambling note. Thinking about my hair progress this year. I am fairly pleased, though the real test will be when i press my hair in a few weeks. I think I’ve reached my “minimal comfortable hair length”. As in, this is the shortest I would like my hair to be to achieve 80% of what I’d like to do with my hair. Anything beyond this point is a bonus. This time next year I expect to be hovering close to waist length, and if that is the case then I’ll probably cut 2-3 inches off my hair. I’ve been wanting to give my ends a nice refresh for a long time but didn’t have the length to support it. Now I finally do.
BUT in anticipation of cutting off that much at once, I’m going to go on a serious hair growth challenge for next year. Strict protective styling and low manipulation. I wanna see if I can still be WL after that cut :pray: :yep:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Today is week 3 of the boxbraids. Im being super lazy with these braids. I havent moisturized alot and barely oiling. I dunno.

I plan on keeping them in 5 more weeks. These should be easy to come out though. I dont think I will go back to any African braiding shop because the disrespect of my hair is crazy They want your hair bone straight in order to braid it and i dont do that at all. Im over it.

long.hair.dont.care

I didnt trim and moisturize or do scalp massages as much as I should have, and as a result, I'm just above BSL from MBL.

I'm a bit disappointed in myself.

I'll add a photo later, the website keeps showing an error when I try to upload.

ETA: here's the photo, I took it reluctantly (that explains the bra on top of the shirt)
IMG_2893.jpg

Last edited:

Mapleoats

End of year check in! I retained about 3.5 inches this year. It’s a good amount of growth but I still feel like i should have retained more. I was trimming pretty much every 8 weeks so I think that’s part of the reason, as well as just overall being neglectful to my hair at times through out the year. Did I make my goal? Ehhh, kinda. I did make it to MBL in the pull test, but I dont walk around pulling my hair all day so I dont want to claim it. Ill wait until April of next year to (hopefully) claim MBL.

I’m hesitant to set out any specific length goals for next year. Instead I will set a retention goal of 5 inches, and put my focus on caring for my ends. I’ll be using Olaplex every wash day as my prepoo, and Ill try and come up with a mid week ends care routine (inspired by the lovely @Chicoro). I’m going to drop the trims down to once per quarter. I hope that should be enough, as I’ll primarily be wearing my hair in a stretched or protected state anyway. We’ll see how it goes :)

photos… I started the year at 7 on this shirt and now im at 12. If i can retain 5 Inches next year that would be line 19. And of course my bra photo, my hair is pulling past my bra strap which was the original goal, now I want it to rest naturally past the bra without needing to pull.

CBB9F4BC-5DBA-48E3-B6FC-78080D827800.jpeg
DBD88FB8-EC35-48D1-BC09-DE6A3438CF48.jpeg

Last edited:

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Thank you guys for supporting this thread throughout the year. This was my first time hosting. I think we all did pretty well! You guys got all the growth I thought you would get. May you all get extra inches soon!

Even though I didn’t participate as much as I should have, I’m happy you hosted this thread. You really kept it going and you did a great job!