2021 Let's Talk! APL - BSL/MBL Challenge

What is your 2021 hair length goal??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HealthyHair2020

1. What length is your hair at?
I consider my hair to be APL.

2. Is your hair relaxed, texlaxed or natural?
I have been natural since September 2018.

3. Would you consider your hair healthy?

I would say it's pretty healthy.

4. What has been some of the hurdles you have had in your hair growth journey?

SSKs have always been a pain in my side. I also have been having some little short pieces in different parts of my hair so I will be trying to grow that out. I also have been lightly trimming because I'm trying to gradually get my hair to be more even. When I first big chopped, I got a tapered cut where the middle of my hair was long than the sides.

5. What are you going to do differently this year?

I am really going to try and retain all of my length next year. I will be blow drying every 3-4 weeks, keeping my hair in low manipulation styles, and doing quarterly trims. I also bought two wigs that I'm going to try and wear more often. I will also be nailing my staples list this year and sticking to it.

6. What are you going to do with or for your hair when you reach APL or BSL/MBL?

When I reach BSL, I miiiiight get a silk press but that's a big IF. But I'm just gonna enjoy my length.

Attachments

• LHCF3_DEC2020.jpg
    LHCF3_DEC2020.jpg
    968.7 KB · Views: 60
  • LHCF4_DEC2020.jpg
    LHCF4_DEC2020.jpg
    970.2 KB · Views: 29
  • LHCF5_DEC2020.jpg
    LHCF5_DEC2020.jpg
    986.5 KB · Views: 28
  • LHCF7_DEC2020.jpg
    LHCF7_DEC2020.jpg
    697.6 KB · Views: 32
  • LHCF8_DEC2020.jpg
    LHCF8_DEC2020.jpg
    664.4 KB · Views: 35

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
1. What length is your hair at? Past APL , currently sitting at BSB.
2. Is your hair relaxed, texlaxed or natural? Natural
It's okay. Need a slight dusting
I like to Washandgo. My curls tend to stick and web together if I dont wash frequently and I'm lazy.
Thinking about if Im going to stick to twists but come summer and its gonna be curly season, LOL
6. What are you going to do with or for your hair when you reach APL or BSL/MBL?
I dunno, keep it maintaining.

My hair grows in layers. My bang area is under my chin. My sides are inching towards APL and my back is BSB. I put a bra on top of my shirt yesterday and the bottom of the bra is right above MBL so , it will be around 6 inches of growth. Its all about the journey though. Im not stressing it. If it comes it comes. Im just thankful for what I do have on my head currently.

IMG_Dec102019at74052AM.jpg

apple_natural

@Bette Davis Eyes Welcome! My hope is that you don't have that much webbing by the end of 2021

Thank you for starting this thread, @apple_natural!
@Rocky91 I thought I responded, but I can't find my response, so... My pleasure! It isn't as scary as I thought lol I guess the fear is that no one was going to join even though a week before I was thinking of an idea that I knew no one would join so I was so okay with doing that one on my own. I think I may post that one just for fun idk.

Mapleoats

@Bette Davis Eyes Welcome! My hope is that you don't have that much webbing by the end of 2021

@Rocky91 I thought I responded, but I can't find my response, so... My pleasure! It isn't as scary as I thought lol I guess the fear is that no one was going to join even though a week before I was thinking of an idea that I knew no one would join so I was so okay with doing that one on my own. I think I may post that one just for fun idk.
What is it? Post it!

Neomorph

I'm claiming APL but it's layers and I'll be trimming it back about an inch or so (will post pics December 26th).

Natural

I would say it's pretty healthy, the healthiest it's been in my life now that I'm trimming regularly and using medicated shampoos

• Not using medicated shampoos to treat my scalp
  • Not trimming regularly
  • inconsistency/trend hopping
  • Not detangling before shampooing (this has been the most recent game changer)

• No try challenge- no trying any new hair products...I'm going to switch my DC back to the shea moisture manuka honey one (my hair loves that) after I finish up the SSI mask (nothing wrong with it but it's protein free and I want to make sure my hair gets some protein)
  • Consistent trim schedule- my goal is to do quarterly trims...so after my 12/26 trim I will trim again March
  • Bunning for the warmer months

Maintain once I get to BSL. It's my ideal lifestyle length

Attachments

• 20201219_205510.jpg
    20201219_205510.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

apple_natural

What is it? Post it!
It's corny because I'm corny... (ackward smiling)... it's called "Twin This Proctective Style" where we were supposed to have someone post a style for the month or the week and whoever wanted to take on that weeks challenge was to find a way to do it with their hair or adapt it to their style. I was trying to find something more interesting than a bun as an option for styling next year... lol

GGsKin

It's corny because I'm corny... (ackward smiling)... it's called "Twin This Proctective Style" where we were supposed to have someone post a style for the month or the week and whoever wanted to take on that weeks challenge was to find a way to do it with their hair or adapt it to their style. I was trying to find something more interesting than a bun as an option for styling next year... lol
Well I'm corny too because I like your idea. I planned to join this thread. I'm going to post my details in a bit.

Mapleoats

I like it!

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
@Neomorph i recently started detangling and placing my hair in twists before hopping in the shower and it has revolutionized my wash day! No more tangles!!
I saw video long ago where Jostylin had advised braids or twists prior to washing, ( she also put on a pantene conditioner beforehand) and her hair was lovely!!

That will take your
hair growth to a whole new level in terms of retention, definitely!

Mapleoats

I saw video long ago where Jostylin had advised braids or twists prior to washing, ( she also put on a pantene conditioner beforehand) and her hair was lovely!!

That will take your
Yes I apply conditioner before as well. It’s great, really makes washing my hair a breeze

apple_natural

Maintain once I get to BSL. It's my ideal lifestyle length
Someone's been watching Kimmaytube! :D I like her video about pH and how she "recycles" her parts. I wonder what I would consider an ideal lifestyle length for myself. It will probably be a shoulder-collarbone length wash and go... which would be like 23" of hair
I like it!
Well I'm corny too because I like your idea. I planned to join this thread. I'm going to post my details in a bit
thank lol. I dont know. I may post it later in the month... ETA: I posted it! I renamed it following a previous challenge like this that I saw from 2009

Last edited:

CurlyMommie

Shoulder Length in the back and maybe Chin Length in the front.

Natural

Somewhat. The condition of my hair is pretty good but I'm still in the process of gradually trimming my ends back to health. I still have a ways to go before it's all healthy hair.

I've had quite a few. I never nursed my edges back to health after having my son so they're pretty thin. I neglect my box braids so they've damaged my hair at the crown and my edges. I wore my hair out so much that my split ends were more than half the length of my hair in the back.

I'm going to bun all year and start daily moisturizing with my spritz concoction. My man is getting my hair steamer for Christmas so I'm going to start incorporating steam with my weekly deep condition. I've been consistent with biotin lately so I'll continue that. I've scheduled my trims in advanced so I'll make sure to consistently improve the health of my ends. Also, the stylist that I started going to specializes in natural hair so I like the idea of checking in with her once every 3 months for a professional opinion on my hair's progression.

Probably keep bunning so I don't jack my ends up again. I also want to learn how to do wash and go's once I reach a nice length.

UPDATE
Ok so I lied. I hadn’t done a length check in a while so my hair measurements were off. I’m starting out Collarbone Length in the front and APL in the back.

Attachments

• 1D4CC6B9-32B8-403B-813A-FCA6BCA73183.jpeg
    1D4CC6B9-32B8-403B-813A-FCA6BCA73183.jpeg
    903.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

naturalagain2

I finally posted my length check pics and put them in my first post.

I just got a trim on Sunday so my hair has a fresh start.
Last night I cowashed w/ As I Am Coconut Cowash Cleansing Conditioner 2x
Then Deep Conditioned w/ Soultanicals Afrotastic Curl Elastic Deep Conditioner baybeeee this stuff will never leave my stash if I can help it!! I deep conditioned with heat for 20 mins and rinsed it out with cool water. My hair was smooth like butta!!
I bought the Soultanicals Knot Sauce Coil Detangler and Can't Believe its Knot Butta from Sally's the other day and used those in that order. My hair felt so good!
Then as my styler I used my favorite Aunt Jackie's Ice Curls Glossy Curling Jelly. My hair feels so soft and moisturized.

Camille Rose is my favorite brand but Soultanicals is really trying to take their spot. I bought a bunch of other things I bought from them (over 13 items) from Black Friday I can't wait to try them all. Here is a pic of my wash and go wet and dry:

Wash n go 1.jpgWash n go 2.jpg

GGsKin

My front and crown area are about SL and the rest is around APL.

Natural with henna, although I haven't used any in over a yr).

Yes.

My strands are fine and I essentially have two different lengths which adds to the thin appearance.
Unwanted layers- I've cut inches off the lower half so that the top could catch up. Trimming too often. I lol because it sounds counterintuitive with what is coming next.
In recent years, retaining strong healthy ends. Splits- I've given myself several deep trims (approx. 2-3inches a time) during this hair journey.
I'm open to the idea that frequent clay use over the years (I started with MHM) and leaving my hair (mainly my ends) exposed to the elements might be the problem lol. I feel to do something different to see gains past my current length.

Another issue is consistency over long periods of time. I joined this site because I created bald spots, with poor use of clip-ins and when I was working to grow that hair back, I did whatever I thought it took, for however long it took until I saw results, so perhaps I need to change my lazy mindset and take inspiration from 2012/ 2013 me...and also not stop when I see results.

I've already started. I'll wear my hair loose less often. Less airdrying. Using heat and straightening. I decided to only trim my hair when straight, to make sure I can really see the state of my ends. I do check the individual strands but I'll do it on a schedule (6-8 weeks), rather than any random time. Use leave-ins to moisturise my hair more often, and not just rely on moisture from wash day. I will light the fire under my bumcheeks and be more purposeful in attaining longer lengths.

I will keep giving it the good good treatment because I probably will not be satisfied. Eventually I would like my hair to be even and at least BSL.

Starting pic: Taken in September but my hair is pretty much the same length. Please excuse my dirty mirror, I'd just finished my hair.2020-12-16_21.17.30.jpg

Last edited:

GGsKin

@naturalagain2 your hair looks luscious. And reading your post reminded me that I loved the Soultanicals Afrotasic Curl Elastic conditioner. The only reason I never repurchased is because I had to wait an age for delivery, and international shipping can be a killer.

naturalagain2

@naturalagain2 your hair looks luscious. And reading your post reminded me that I loved the Soultanicals Afrotasic Curl Elastic conditioner. The only reason I never repurchased is because I had to wait an age for delivery, and international shipping can be a killer.
Thank you! Girl that Afrotastic is something else! I hate I waited so long to try this company.

Neomorph

That will take your

Oh yeah before I started using Olapex no 3 before wash day I would use conditioner. Olaplex no 3 while not a conditioner, is quite slippery and can be used to detangle hair prior to washing if your hair likes Behentrimonium Methosulfate (BTMS). Either way my hair goes into twists and it's makes my life so much easier, especially with seborrheic dermatitis, it's just a lot easier to get to at my scalp in sections.

Someone's been watching Kimmaytube! :D I like her video about pH and how she "recycles" her parts. I wonder what I would consider an ideal lifestyle length for myself. It will probably be a shoulder-collarbone length wash and go... which would be like 23" of hair

Oh yeah her lifestyle length video was a game changer for me. As much as it would be amazing to have full WL hair, I think realistically for me BSL would still give me the satisfaction I want out of my natural hair with less overall maintenance.

Mapleoats

Besides length, what’s everyone’s hair focus for the coming year? 2020 I was trying to discover products and a regimen that worked for me, and I think I’ve accomplished that. Next year my focus will be learning to properly care for my ends and prevent knots and tangling. Also learning to care for my crown area. I think these 2 are the last keys I’m missing for great length retention. I retained about 3- 4 inches this year I think. Not bad at all but I’m hoping to retain 6 inches next year, fingers crossed!

apple_natural

Besides length, what’s everyone’s hair focus for the coming year?
2020 for me was about was working on my hair perfectionism... my hair-norexia lol. I needed to get out of the mindset that I had bad hair that needed to be cut or hidden all the time. I cut my hair less as the year went on. I got to a point recently when I was not only like "hey this hair is okay actually" to "I LOVE my hair!" Also, I was looking for a good leave-in. I finally found one I really like - Natty Naturals.

2021... I hope that in 2021 I can maintain my routine, which is basically to check it every night and remoisturize as necessary. I prepoo with coconut oil for a day/night once a week followed by a wash day where I do whatever I think is necessary. I also do at least one oil treatment a week with some massaging. I'm happy doing things this way. I get to know what my own hair is doing. I will try to continue doing this and not introduce new things without a reason.

Last edited:

metro_qt

@apple_natural I want in please!

1. My hair is currently between BSL and MBL at the back.

Actually... I have a short torso. I'm probably fully MBL in back...

I would like to be full MBL at the sides and back...

2. My hair is natural

3. I consider my new growth healthy, and I'm trying to keep my dyed ends healthy with lots of Olaplex and moisture treatments.

4. Hurdles have includes Anemia and lots of hair loss...
Lots of tangles and shedding
And now, lots of matting as well, which is what made my cut all my hair off 3 years ago, in the first place.

5. I'm going to get a true haircut...Covid stopped me from doing that this year...and I am going to get back on an actual hair regimen... Maybe take some hair aids.

6. I don't know what I'm going to do once I reach my goal, ... I'll have to think about that.

Screenshot_20201218_135818.jpg

Attachments

• Unedited08.jpg
    Unedited08.jpg
    644.8 KB · Views: 41

naturalagain2

Besides length, what’s everyone’s hair focus for the coming year? 2020 I was trying to discover products and a regimen that worked for me, and I think I’ve accomplished that. Next year my focus will be learning to properly care for my ends and prevent knots and tangling. Also learning to care for my crown area. I think these 2 are the last keys I’m missing for great length retention. I retained about 3- 4 inches this year I think. Not bad at all but I’m hoping to retain 6 inches next year, fingers crossed!

My goal for 2021 is to be consistent with my regimen. Wash frequently. Stick to wash an go's mostly because my hair surprisingly hardly tangles in that style and I can use my fingers to style. I also plan to Incorporate ayurvedic ingredients/products back into my regimen and use them frequently.