2021 Let's Talk! APL - BSL/MBL Challenge

What is your 2021 hair length goal??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

apple_natural

Moisturised my hair with SSI Apricot Softening Milk (I think I butchered the name. It's something like that) and put in about 7 braids to refresh my braidout from the 1st. I haven't used this product before but I like how moisturised and juicy my braids and ends look with it.

I gave myself a curly fringe with some tiny perm rods yesterday using the SSI Juicy Shot to moisturise. I'll see how they hold up tomorrow morning, after being squished under my scarf.
Your curly fringe sounds absolutely adorable.
They held up ok. Enough for me not to be paranoid and restyle the front this morning. A couple of the ends got stretched out so I will be changing it up this evening. Braid out has good definition and after separating.
I think perm rod curls are pretty resilient. I love how you mixed it together with your braid out. What does SSI stand for? The apricot milk sounds like it smells good.

GGsKin

Your curly fringe sounds absolutely adorable.

I think perm rod curls are pretty resilient. I love how you mixed it together with your braid out. What does SSI stand for? The apricot milk sounds like it smells good.
Aww thank you @apple_natural . It was cute. The fringe was inspired by a video I stumbled on from Aly Art. And you are right, there is still good definition from the rod set days after transitioning the style to a high pony and sleeping in my silk scarf.

SSI- She Scent It. The Apricot & Illipe Softening Milk Shake does smell goood and adds great moisture for my hair too.

I almost never do braid outs and twist outs. Tips from Daye la Soul re amount of product- I'm heavy handed- and Only One Jess meant I finally got a result that didn't flake and has lasting definition.

How is it going with your green drink mini challenge? I've completely fallen off with smoothies and green drinks since my blender broke. I was thinking of getting a nutribullet.

GGsKin

I went through my hair and dusted for splits last night before applying Olaplex no.0 + no.3. This morning, I shampooed with no.4 and conditioned with no.5 for about 10mins while I showered. I rinsed and applied CR Algae Renew currently wrapped in cling film.

I think I'll proceed by setting on perm rods or flexi rods (or maybe a mix).

apple_natural

Aww thank you @apple_natural . It was cute. The fringe was inspired by a video I stumbled on from Aly Art. And you are right, there is still good definition from the rod set days after transitioning the style to a high pony and sleeping in my silk scarf.

SSI- She Scent It. The Apricot & Illipe Softening Milk Shake does smell goood and adds great moisture for my hair too.

I almost never do braid outs and twist outs. Tips from Daye la Soul re amount of product- I'm heavy handed- and Only One Jess meant I finally got a result that didn't flake and has lasting definition.

How is it going with your green drink mini challenge? I've completely fallen off with smoothies and green drinks since my blender broke. I was thinking of getting a nutribullet.
SAME! - regarding the Nutribullet. I am just now starting my juice for this month. I took forever to get the juice I wanted to blend in. I did get some smoothies from the smoothie shop a few days last week...I do appreciate learning that I don't use a ton of products as well. I'll look into the Milk Shake. Thank you!

apple_natural

As for me, I put on coconut oil for a prepoo. I'm going to sit under the dry when my Sunday meeting is finished. I wish I could get someone to straighten and cut my ends. I regret cancelling my appt I had Dec 31

ETA: I was able to sign up for a press Saturday, but I couldn't book a trim service since the lady was booked that day. Therefore, I may have to self trim as necessary.

Last edited:

GGsKin

I'm trying to be conscious of including more legumes in my diet. I made a casserole type dish of courgettes, chicken sausages, gungo peas and haricot beans. The two additional portions have been my work lunch yesterday and today (I usually hate having the same thing multiple days in a row).

Today I put my hair up in a high pony using the SSI Softening Milk Shake, and shea to mould. Styled with a scarf around my hairline. My ends are not away but baby steps lol.

Also, took my collagen, MSM and vit C this morning, as well as my cod liver oil.

Last edited:

Neomorph

Alright so I've definitely fallen off the daily bamboo tea wagon. I'm a tea drinker, but out of habit I tend to go for my green or earl grey in the morning and my lavender chamomile blend at night. I really want NOW Foods to get the bamboo silica pills back in stock soon...it's just a lot easier for me to take my silica in the morning with my multivitamins and vitamin D. Once the bamboo pills get back in stock I might repurpose the bamboo tea.

That being said, I am a daily green drink convert! Admittedly I haven't been making my own but buying some to get an idea of what flavors I like, but all of them have been winners so far. The Evolution Fresh Organic Super Fruit Greens Smoothie from Whole Foods has been my favorite and I definitely want to make a dupe for it with my new blender (because I can't be paying these whole foods prices every week).

Mapleoats

Alright so I've definitely fallen off the daily bamboo tea wagon. I'm a tea drinker, but out of habit I tend to go for my green or earl grey in the morning and my lavender chamomile blend at night. I really want NOW Foods to get the bamboo silica pills back in stock soon...it's just a lot easier for me to take my silica in the morning with my multivitamins and vitamin D. Once the bamboo pills get back in stock I might repurpose the bamboo tea.

That being said, I am a daily green drink convert! Admittedly I haven't been making my own but buying some to get an idea of what flavors I like, but all of them have been winners so far. The Evolution Fresh Organic Super Fruit Greens Smoothie from Whole Foods has been my favorite and I definitely want to make a dupe for it with my new blender (because I can't be paying these whole foods prices every week).
I just started drinking bamboo tea this week and mmmmm it tastes so good it’s like one of my new favourite kind of teas

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I loved the lemongrass bamboo tea. I should get back to that.

I'm trying to get back to a simple breakfast. Found I really like a cup of probiotic cashewgurt mixed with collagen, plus a hot oolong tea with no sugar.

On the hair front, no one can convince me that success is not linked to simple, low cost habits. I buy a ton of expensive products only to find success in hair growth from increased scalp massages!?!

apple_natural

I went through my hair and dusted for splits last night before applying Olaplex no.0 + no.3. This morning, I shampooed with no.4 and conditioned with no.5 for about 10mins while I showered. I rinsed and applied CR Algae Renew currently wrapped in cling film.

I think I'll proceed by setting on perm rods or flexi rods (or maybe a mix).
What is Olaplex good for? I saw it on HSN and I am seeing a few ladies here using it. it sounds like a protein treatment

x

I remoisturized my hair and put it back into two side plaits.

apple_natural

On the hair front, no one can convince me that success is not linked to simple, low cost habits. I buy a ton of expensive products only to find success in hair growth from increased scalp massages!?!
Exactly! I remember starting my journey conditioning with oil and Vo5 and people convinced me that it wasn't enough. I should not have listened to them. I was having no problems with it and once I use up all my products I'm going to go back to using it.

I have been taking spearmint tea which is supposed to help stop my chin hair lol. I have like 10 chin hairs. Not cool. No chest hair yet thank Almighty God himself

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I'm consistently watching what I eat, even if I don't have a daily smoothie.
I ordered a Hydromate gallon water jug in hopes that it will assist me in increasing my water intake.
I have bamboo tea that I need to finish, but I'm currently on a raspberry leaf tea kick right now. I'm drinking this tea for my uterine health.

GGsKin

What is Olaplex good for? I saw it on HSN and I am seeing a few ladies here using it. it sounds like a protein treatment

x

I remoisturized my hair and put it back into two side plaits.
@apple_natural It's a bond rebuilder system rather than a protein tx. Nos. 1+2 are only available for professional/ salon use. The rest of the system was designed for at home maintenance between salon visits. Good for use with chemical/ colour/ heat treated hair, to maintain the integrity of the hair and provide internal structure. Now I haven't used 1+2 (the main big hitters) but the way my fine strands like to split, I'm hoping that it can give my hair some extra support. Especially since I'm using heat more regularly in my routine (diffusing dry, and straightening for trims).

Most people sing its praises. Olaplex keep adding nos. lol.

apple_natural

@apple_natural It's a bond rebuilder system rather than a protein tx. Nos. 1+2 are only available for professional/ salon use. The rest of the system was designed for at home maintenance between salon visits. Good for use with chemical/ colour/ heat treated hair, to maintain the integrity of the hair and provide internal structure. Now I haven't used 1+2 (the main big hitters) but the way my fine strands like to split, I'm hoping that it can give my hair some extra support. Especially since I'm using heat more regularly in my routine (diffusing dry, and straightening for trims).

Most people sing its praises. Olaplex keep adding nos. lol.
Oooohhh hmm I'll have to price that treatment. Thank you!

apple_natural

i have dry hair thanks to not baggying and the house heat.. and not wearing my bonnet the last couple of nights. i dont know where they are.. i have like 3. i'll dc tonight. tomorrow is my press. i hope my lady trims it but there was only space for a press in her schedule. i may have to do the trim myself. i do have a trim scheduled in March.

HealthyHair2020

I kinda have a plan in place for my hair for the rest of the year. Key things are:
  1. Trimming/dusting my hair every 3 months. I cut SSK when there's no point of return in between trims but this is my current schedule.
  2. Protecting styling every 2-3 months for one month for the rest of the year. Current plan is faux locs in February, passion twists in May, flat iron on my big chop anniversary in September, and box braids in December. This way I'll use up my stash in between protective styles but still giving my hair a break sometimes.
  3. After I have my list of staples in September, I'll only be doing my hair every 2 weeks like I used to in 2018. One week, I'll have braids/twists in and the next week I'll take them out to get a twist out or braid out. This'll also slow down my PJism because after my black friday haul, I realized I don't like having a bunch of products lying around.
  4. I'll also be incorporating more vegetables into my diet. Started with some lettuce in my sandwiches everyday this week.
You can tell I have too much time on my hands lol. At least the pandemic gives me time to sort my hair out.

apple_natural

I got my hair straightened and trimmed today. I'm hoping for progress this year.
+ Adding in baggying every night and cutting out ponytails again.
+ Eat more. I had a green smoothie today. I need to have two.
+ I'm exercising more thanks to my run goals.

Last edited:

apple_natural

So pretty!
Thank you! My hairnorexia kicked in at the time I got it done. My reaction was: "Thats the same length it was at in 2018!" (which isn't true. I did retain some length, though not much). My hairdresser says she thinks it will be different by the summer if I got my nutrition together and drank more water. We'll see. So, I hope it improves each time I go for a trim.

I had a green smoothie today. I'm running a 6k tomorrow. I keep trying to start a 8hr sleep challenge. It's not working. Taking my vitamin now

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
1. Where is your hair at?
(See album link below).... I believe my hair is between SL and APL

2. I am natural (5 years)

3. Is your hair healthy?
It was in 2019.... I was deep conditioning weekly FAITHFULLY and had some incredible healthy hair. With depression... I got extremely lazy in caring for my hair.

4. Biggest hurdles
Having a huge setback and learning to see my beauty w/o my hair. Second hurdle was my excess buying of hair care products. I’m always on a new product launch and was never having consistency.

5. What am I going to do differently this year?
Nurture and care for my hair they way I know how to. Weekly deep conditioning, ayurvedic tea rinses, etc. I reached mid back length before I know I can do it again.

6. What happens when you reach your goal?
I’ll try to keep my hair protected for as long as I can. Once I get a professional silk press... I’ll request a trim to hopefully have a more fuller APL verses a tapered BSL (if that makes sense).

C1C1D8DB-521F-4F13-98FE-719CD2EB9CA9.jpeg

feji808

Hello everyone! I hope you all have been doing alright and sticking to your respective programs!

Last week
I tried a new shampoo (Shea Moisture's Bamboo Charcoal) and I instantly regretted it. My red palm oil shampoo ran out and I got curious. Bamboo charcoal made my hair the most dry and tangled that it has ever been, so I won't be repeating that mistake.

I repurchased my red palm oil shampoo (also by Shea Moisture) and If I feel like clarifying I'll use Giovanni's Tea Tree Triple threat. In Toronto you can find really big sizes at a department store called Winners.

What I did this weekend (washdays are Friday - Sunday):
I pre-pooed +finger detangle with Vatika oil
I DC'ed with Manuka Honey DC & Mafura oil (Shea Moisture)
After DCing I did a cholesterol treatment with ORS's Hair Mayo which made my hair feel unbelievably soft and detangled.
I washed that out and followed up with Manuka conditioner (Shea Moisture).
I dried my hair with a cotton shirt then put in a Jamaican Black Castor Oil leave-in by...you guessed it...
Shea Moisture.
Sometimes I feel like a shill for Shea Moisture.
After that, I sealed with OGX's deep penetrating oil.
I styled my hair into a bun with Cantu's gel (I hate cantu but it's all I have gel wise right now before my next hair order.
I plan on staying in a bun until Wednesday and i'll either moisturize or co-wash depending on how my hair feels.

New purchases
Shea Moisture's hydrate and repair protein power treatment - I want to do a protein DC every other week.

Random Hair thoughts
I'm started to get curious about the efficacy of salon or less than natural brands like keracare, Joico, redken etc.
I've always taken for granted the idea that natural ingredients are superior without truly testing for myself.
I've started re-thinking this way after picking up OGX'S penetrating oil. I feel like unlike other oils I've used in the past (argan, jojoba, olive etc.), this oil actually does its job despite it being loaded with some ingredients the community warns about (cones).

Critiques of my regimen are welcome. I personally think i'm doing to much but i'll rather err on the side of doing too much than not doing enough.

apple_natural

I just paid an arm and a leg to get my hair straightened, but it was only to see where it was and get a trim. Today, I already had it in a bun and I worked out. I'm going to put some conditioner and a baggy on it and see it tomorrow

ETA: Done. Used sally brand cholesterol I have in a tub. i do prefer ORS, but I wanted this big tub size

Last edited:

Mapleoats

1. Where is your hair at?
(See album link below).... I believe my hair is between SL and APL

2. I am natural (5 years)

3. Is your hair healthy?
It was in 2019.... I was deep conditioning weekly FAITHFULLY and had some incredible healthy hair. With depression... I got extremely lazy in caring for my hair.

4. Biggest hurdles
Having a huge setback and learning to see my beauty w/o my hair. Second hurdle was my excess buying of hair care products. I’m always on a new product launch and was never having consistency.

5. What am I going to do differently this year?
Nurture and care for my hair they way I know how to. Weekly deep conditioning, ayurvedic tea rinses, etc. I reached mid back length before I know I can do it again.

6. What happens when you reach your goal?
I’ll try to keep my hair protected for as long as I can. Once I get a professional silk press... I’ll request a trim to hopefully have a more fuller APL verses a tapered BSL (if that makes sense).

View attachment 468005

Pretty! It looks like you’re already APL.

naturalagain2

Yesterday I cleansed with Naturalicious Moroccan Rhassoul Clay, let it sit while I took my shower, then rinsed.
I applied a ACV rinse on my hair & let it sit for about 2 mins. My scalp needed this treatment. My hair felt so soft and moisturized after. My scalp felt so good.
I reapplied the Naturalicious Moroccan Rhassoul clay and Divine Shine Moisture Lock & Frizz Fighter Oil (that I warmed in a hot water bath) on top. I deep conditioned for 30 mins under the dryer.
Rinsed and applied Soultanicals Knot Sauce Coil Detangler and UFD on top all while in the shower.