2021 Let's Talk! APL - BSL/MBL Challenge

What is your 2021 hair length goal??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

feji808

Yesterday I cleansed with Naturalicious Moroccan Rhassoul Clay, let it sit while I took my shower, then rinsed.
I applied a ACV rinse on my hair & let it sit for about 2 mins. My scalp needed this treatment. My hair felt so soft and moisturized after. My scalp felt so good.
I reapplied the Naturalicious Moroccan Rhassoul clay and Divine Shine Moisture Lock & Frizz Fighter Oil (that I warmed in a hot water bath) on top. I deep conditioned for 30 mins under the dryer.
Rinsed and applied Soultanicals Knot Sauce Coil Detangler and UFD on top all while in the shower.
So the Moroccan Rhassoul Clay is both a cleanser and a DC (when mixed with oil)? That’s really cool.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Yesterday I cleansed with Naturalicious Moroccan Rhassoul Clay, let it sit while I took my shower, then rinsed.
I applied a ACV rinse on my hair & let it sit for about 2 mins. My scalp needed this treatment. My hair felt so soft and moisturized after. My scalp felt so good.
I reapplied the Naturalicious Moroccan Rhassoul clay and Divine Shine Moisture Lock & Frizz Fighter Oil (that I warmed in a hot water bath) on top. I deep conditioned for 30 mins under the dryer.
Rinsed and applied Soultanicals Knot Sauce Coil Detangler and UFD on top all while in the shower.
How do you like the Naturalicious Moroccan Clay cleanser? (I have tons of Moroccan Clay...but I don't always have bottles prepped on hand when I decide to wash my hair on a whim.

apple_natural

1. Where is your hair at?
(See album link below).... I believe my hair is between SL and APL

2. I am natural (5 years)

3. Is your hair healthy?
It was in 2019.... I was deep conditioning weekly FAITHFULLY and had some incredible healthy hair. With depression... I got extremely lazy in caring for my hair.

4. Biggest hurdles
Having a huge setback and learning to see my beauty w/o my hair. Second hurdle was my excess buying of hair care products. I’m always on a new product launch and was never having consistency.

5. What am I going to do differently this year?
Nurture and care for my hair they way I know how to. Weekly deep conditioning, ayurvedic tea rinses, etc. I reached mid back length before I know I can do it again.

6. What happens when you reach your goal?
I’ll try to keep my hair protected for as long as I can. Once I get a professional silk press... I’ll request a trim to hopefully have a more fuller APL verses a tapered BSL (if that makes sense).

yes, you are definitely APL.. pretty much full apl. you may see a few layers, but youre definitely apl. you could easily go for MBL/BSL for 2021

apple_natural

you completely just validated my reason to buy some biotin. Lol... I'm already down 30 lbs.... fingers crossed as I continue to lose weight.... it will change the length of my hair visually.
oh yea! :toocool:.. you are already committed and doing very well!! i'm encouraged. It's no longer your plan, but you've made it your way of life. soon, you'll have to remember that you've already lost your weight and you will need a new goal, which could be to find happiness in maintenance. that can actually be boring for some people.. btw, you're hair is beautiful!

Last edited:

naturalagain2

So the Moroccan Rhassoul Clay is both a cleanser and a DC (when mixed with oil)? That’s really cool.

Yea you don't even have to mix with oil if you didn't want to. I just do because the founder recommended it and I found my hair to feel and look much silkier. It's like a DC and hot oil treatment rolled into one.

naturalagain2

How do you like the Naturalicious Moroccan Clay cleanser? (I have tons of Moroccan Clay...but I don't always have bottles prepped on hand when I decide to wash my hair on a whim.
I love it. I workout a lot and when I was just shampooing exclusively my scalp would flake badly. Once incorporating clays in my regimen my scalp does not flake anymore. My stylist noticed and asked me what I had been doing differently the last time I went for my trim. My hair and scalp feel clean, soft, and moisturized after using it. I recommend thoroughly rinsing your hair before using to use less product otherwise I feel you can waste product because it is on the thicker side. This my first store bought clay so I don't really have much to compare it to but I bought some clay from Soultanicals and Chocolate Kinks and Coils so once I try those I should be able to compare and see how it really holds up to other ones. But so far I love it.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
oh yea! :toocool:.. you are already committed and doing very well!! i'm encouraged. It's no longer your plan, but you've made it your way of life. soon, you'll have to remember that you've already lost your weight and you will need a new goal, which could be to find happiness in maintenance. that can actually be boring for some people.. btw, you're hair is beautiful!
Thank you so much. I'm definitely going to exercise today for the first time since Oct 2019:happydance::strong:. Purposefully updating my hair album and thread keeps me accountable. Im excited to creating ga new way of life for myself that I'll benefit from in every where... guess I'll head over to the fitness forum.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I cut my hair back to shoulder length and I love it! My hair looks thicker, even though I have a medium density. My ends were in good condition, just uneven, due to my bad cutting. My only issue is dryness, so I will steam my hair and baggy more often.

Attachments

• DEA40A81-36FF-4083-9435-A36ED86B1217.jpeg
    DEA40A81-36FF-4083-9435-A36ED86B1217.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 23

apple_natural

I cut my hair back to shoulder length and I love it! My hair looks thicker, even though I have a medium density. My ends were in good condition, just uneven, due to my bad cutting. My only issue is dryness, so I will steam my hair and baggy more often.
SAME! my ends were also uneven and dry. I was also cut back. I am also going to baggy more often! Woo hoo! Lets go lets get it! We're both on the baggy team. I'm happy.

IT LOOKS SO HEALTHY! I love a shoudler length. It's flirty and fun.

apple_natural

im taking my msm, but I don't know and won't know if its doing anything unless I get some seriously drastic hairgrowth by fall or something. Taking iron already allows me to grow hair so if MSM works, I will have TONS TONS and more TONS. i'm taking it. we'll see. I dont think I always take 30 minutes before or 2 hours after a meal which the gold package says is "best"

felic1

hey ladies, looking forward to this challenge! Great topics. Thanks for hosting @apple_natural

1. What length is your hair at?
Full APL and very close to BSL I think

My Goal Length is: Full MBL / Grazing WL

2. Is your hair relaxed, texlaxed or natural?
Natural

3. Would you consider your hair healthy?
Yes, for the most part

4. What has been some of the hurdles you have had in your hair growth journey?
- My crown area has been a constant struggle, its more porous, and breaks easily compared to the rest of my hair.
- I struggle with SSKs and crunchy ends

5. What are you going to do differently this year?
A few things...
- I'm on a personal "no try" challenge. meaning for 2021 im not allowing myself to try any new products, and stick to what I know works well in my hair.
- I plan to microtrim/dust about 1/4inch to 1/8inch every 8 weeks. That works out to 6 trims a year. I know it sounds like a lot but the amount I will be taking off each time should add up to around an inch, maybe a little more. this would actually be less than i usually trim a year. But my hair is so prone to knots and tangles I think I'll benefit from frequent trims, and hopefully keep the knots away before they get a chance.
- Wearing my hair stretched (blow outs and rollersets) most of the time.
- I would like to continue doing my hair exclusively myself (except for braids/protective styles). Quarantine forced this on me this year, and Ive invested in all the tools to get salon quality hair at home, so at this point in my hair journey I see no reason to go to a salon. (But I retain my right to change my mind on this one :look: )

6. What are you going to do with or for your hair when you reach APL or BSL/MBL?
I will do a silk press (on myself lol)

Some other info you didnt ask for :drunk::drunk:(and mostly just adding as notes for myself)

Regimen
1. Prepoo with oil and detangle if necessary
2. Shampoo
3. Deep Condition
4. Rollerset OR blow out OR two strand twists

Staple Products:
Shampoos:

Clarifying: Joico Clarifying Shampoo
Regular: Ethique Shampoo Bar
Moisturizing: SM Power Greens Shampoo

Deep Conditioners:
Joico K pak intense Hydrator (moisture)
Joico Moisture Recovery Balm (moisture)
SM Power Greens Reconstructor (moisture)
SM Manuka Honey And Yogurt Protein Treatment (protein)
TGIN Miracle RepairX (moisture)

Detangler:
Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner

Leave ins:
TGIN Miracle Repairx (curly hair)
Its a 10 + Keratin (straight hair

Stylers:
CRN Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

Starting Pic is from a couple weeks ago but I trimmed about an inch since. Will post an updated pic when I straighten in December
View attachment 465905
Your hair is lovely

apple_natural

February - Let's Talk Exercise!?
Feel free to add questions or other comments. This is just a starter...

1 Do you find that exercise has any effect on your hair growth?
2 What about scalp massaging? - not an exercise, but said to "stimulate blood flow"
3 How do you wear your hair during workouts?
4 What kind of exercises do you do?

February Mini Challenge:
1. At least one full workout lol
2. It would be nice for one week of exercise
3. A 28 day/month of February long workout challenge! - like this Chloe Ting "Get Peachy" workout (free youtube videos) or some Mr & Mrs Muscle 5 min workouts

1. @apple_natural
2. @toaster
3. @Mapleoats
4. @Newhottie
5. @londonfog
6. @Theresamonet
7. @mmeadows1
8. @Rastafarai
9. @Rocky91
10. @HealthyHair2020
11. @Bette Davis Eyes
12. @naturalagain2
13. @GGsKin
14. @metro_qt
15. @Neomorph
16. @long.hair.dont.care
17. @Kells
18. @keranikki
19. @TamaraShaniece

Last edited:

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
1 Do you find that exercise has any effect on your hair growth? YES!!! Exercise forcesme to drink more water and Itend to eat better, when I'm consistently exercising. I have seen up to an inch of growth in a month.
2 What about scalp massaging? - not an exercise, but said to "stimulate blood flow"- For me, scalp massage is slowly bringing my eggs back to life. I didn't realize I had so much tension in my scalp and face until I started massaging my scalp more consistently.
3 How do you wear your hair during workouts? In a puff
4 What kind of exercises do you do? Yoga and running, inconsistently.

toaster

I’m not positive, but I think so! If nothing less, it’s helping my body in every other way, so why

2 What about scalp massaging? - not an exercise, but said to "stimulate blood flow"

I would massage my scalp but I’m not trying to mess up my hair style...

On my peloton I just clip my hair back with two alligator clips and let it hang down. For any yoga or strength workouts I wear my buff as a headband and let my hair hang down.

I ride my peloton bike, do FaceTime strength workouts with my trainer, and I’m trying to incorporate yoga as well.

apple_natural

1 Do you find that exercise has any effect on your hair growth? YES!!! Exercise forcesme to drink more water and Itend to eat better, when I'm consistently exercising. I have seen up to an inch of growth in a month.
2 What about scalp massaging? - not an exercise, but said to "stimulate blood flow"- For me, scalp massage is slowly bringing my eggs back to life. I didn't realize I had so much tension in my scalp and face until I started massaging my scalp more consistently.
3 How do you wear your hair during workouts? In a puff
4 What kind of exercises do you do? Yoga and running, inconsistently.
So are you taking on the February exercise minichallenge? What about 3 miles a week

apple_natural

I’m not positive, but I think so! If nothing less, it’s helping my body in every other way, so why....

I ride my peloton bike, do FaceTime strength workouts with my trainer, and I’m trying to incorporate yoga as well.
I LOVE cycling. Do you like the Peloton workouts or do you do your own thing

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life

1 Do you find that exercise has any effect on your hair growth? No

2 What about scalp massaging? - not an exercise, but said to "stimulate blood flow" I can’t tell but I wash my hair inverted and massage my shampoo in for at least 2-5 mins to stimulate and exfoliate my scalp.

Plaits//twists//braids//banded with my edges tied down.

4 What kind of exercises do you do? Cardio, Mr. LondonTV, GetBodiedByJ App, my own personal derived from Kinobody & Fitness Mags

February Mini Challenge:
1. Jumprope 21 days out of the month
2. Lift weights at least 3 days a week
3. Cardio 21 days out the month
4. Mr. LondonTV 5 day a week schedule.

Neomorph

1 Do you find that exercise has any effect on your hair growth? YES! Back when I was middle/high school I used to run track and my new growth was always thick (the retention on my relaxed ends was a different story). And when I first went natural my hair grew easily as I had to walk to and from campus every day

2 What about scalp massaging? - not an exercise, but said to "stimulate blood flow" Honestly, I'm not sure about the effects on my hair because I haven't really done it consistently enough to check

3 How do you wear your hair during workouts? In a puff or a bun

4 What kind of exercises do you do? Walking/Running, the occasional bit of yoga, I want to incorporate some weights

February Mini Challenge
1. Once a week hit the track and run some laps
2. I'm going to do the get peachy challenge

apple_natural

1 Do you find that exercise has any effect on your hair growth? YES! Back when I was middle/high school I used to run track and my new growth was always thick (the retention on my relaxed ends was a different story). And when I first went natural my hair grew easily as I had to walk to and from campus every day

2 What about scalp massaging? - not an exercise, but said to "stimulate blood flow" Honestly, I'm not sure about the effects on my hair because I haven't really done it consistently enough to check

3 How do you wear your hair during workouts? In a puff or a bun

4 What kind of exercises do you do? Walking/Running, the occasional bit of yoga, I want to incorporate some weights

February Mini Challenge
1. Once a week hit the track and run some laps
2. I'm going to do the get peachy challenge
Are you seriously going to do the Get Peachy!? I am excited! I'll also be doing it. I'm looking through it to see what things I need. I'll post it.

apple_natural

1 Do you find that exercise has any effect on your hair growth? No

2 What about scalp massaging? - not an exercise, but said to "stimulate blood flow" I can’t tell but I wash my hair inverted and massage my shampoo in for at least 2-5 mins to stimulate and exfoliate my scalp.

Plaits//twists//braids//banded with my edges tied down.

4 What kind of exercises do you do? Cardio, Mr. LondonTV, GetBodiedByJ App, my own personal derived from Kinobody & Fitness Mags

February Mini Challenge:
1. Jumprope 21 days out of the month
2. Lift weights at least 3 days a week
3. Cardio 21 days out the month
4. Mr. LondonTV 5 day a week schedule.
I bought these awesome jump ropes from aliexpress. The rope is weighted like the CrossRope but it was half the price. Do you jump how you feel each day or do you follow any particular routine?

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I bought these awesome jump ropes from aliexpress. The rope is weighted like the CrossRope but it was half the price. Do you jump how you feel each day or do you follow any particular routine?
I’ll let you know tomorrow. I started to feel a splint feel in my left shin from running on the treadmill.

naturalagain2

1 Do you find that exercise has any effect on your hair growth? Yes I feel it does.
2 What about scalp massaging? - not an exercise, but said to "stimulate blood flow" Yes definitely! My mother had a bald spot a couple of years ago. I suggested to her to massage her scalp with JBCO and her bald spot started filling in again.
3 How do you wear your hair during workouts? My hair is short so I don't do anything. I wear a wash and go.
4 What kind of exercises do you do? Strength training & HIIT workouts, I have a couple of trainers where we do a variety of workouts.

Neomorph

Are you seriously going to do the Get Peachy!? I am excited! I'll also be doing it. I'm looking through it to see what things I need. I'll post it.

Yeah it looks nice and honestly I want a bigger booty LOL. I actually did the first workout today! It was pretty nice (luckily I had some weights and a lateral band on hand)...the hardest part for me was the cooldown and all of the stretches (my flexibility is terrible! but it will get better over time)