2021 Let's Talk! APL - BSL/MBL Challenge

What is your 2021 hair length goal??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

apple_natural

Yeah it looks nice and honestly I want a bigger booty LOL. I actually did the first workout today! It was pretty nice (luckily I had some weights and a lateral band on hand)...the hardest part for me was the cooldown and all of the stretches (my flexibility is terrible! but it will get better over time)
HA! don't we all. The sad part is that my little booty is my bigger booty lol. I had to grow this little booty lol

Okay, its late, but I'll try to get my own done... or at least find my bands

ETA: At least I found my bands. Also, at the top of her page, it says that these bands and a pair of dumbbells are the only things needed besides a mat.

ETA#2: I DID IT! Get Peachy Day 1. I want to finish on time this month, so I have one day to make up for. I refused to be 2 days behind so I just did it now. It was cool!

Last edited:

apple_natural

No but it sounds like something I need to order on Amazon :giggle:

is that like the copper sleeves?
I think there are some with copper in them, but the main thing is that they should be somewhat tight.

I'm right with you lol I just ordered a new pair because I "couldn't find" my old pair although I didn't really look for them lol. I may have moved a few things around my workout clothes drawer, but that was hardly looking. I wanted this graffiti pair lol. To my credit, I did try to order a pair from Amazon, but I accidentally ordered one single sleeve because I didn't read the product description very well. I thought I was getting a deal, but I returned that one and bought the set I actually wanted.

Graffiti-Leg-Sleeve-Alt_2000x.jpg

NatalieMochaccino

1. What length is your hair at?
Armpit length

2. Is your hair relaxed, texlaxed or natural?

Texturized

3. Would you consider your hair healthy?

Yes, but I have to stop pulling my hair back because it has caused breakage in the back

4. What has been some of the hurdles you have had in your hair growth journey?

Hair breakage in the back from tying my buns too tight with an elastic

5. What are you going to do differently this year?

Use less tension when tying hair back into a ponytail

6. What are you going to do with or for your hair when you reach APL or BSL/MBL?

Aim for Waist-length hair

* Mapleoats asks; "What is your focus besides length this year?"

Trimming hair more often, so that my hair looks healthy

alex114

To Kick Off...
* Post starting photo to begin
* Consider following the thread's email notifications
* Tell us about your hair...

Right now, my hair is in between BSL and MBL, when straightened, and around SL or above when natural. I have been stuck in what I feel is a plateau on the way to MBL (when straight) for about 2 years, and I can’t tell if it’s a retention issue, or slow growth in the first place which is then cancelled out by trims.
My hair is natural. I have been fully natural since 2014 or 2015.
I would consider my hair pretty healthy— it’s thick and doesn’t look weird at the ends...haha if there are any other metrics I can use in my hair’s natural state I’d love to hear of them.
I suffer from depression, so staying functional in my job and as a mom means I end up completely ignoring my hair to make sure I keep everything else together.
Hair-wise, I have had a pretty smooth journey, I just can’t do my own hair, and dislike even trying to wash my own hair, because I have the kind of hair that you have to ‘open’ and look at to check if you got all of the shampoo or conditioner out lmao, but I have had to make due in the pandemic lol.

I am hoping to baggy and deep condition more regularly. I really hope to stick to this. I am only taking liver/kidney supplements and a daily multivitamin, and don’t have plans to add anymore into my routine as of right now.
6. What are you going to do with or for your hair when you reach APL or BSL/MBL?
I am going to get it straightened and take a progress pic, and then let it turn into one of those loose blown-out Afro manes, and post it on social media!!!!
* Mapleoats asks; "What is your focus besides length this year?"
For my hair, my focus is healthy growth and finding a low maintenance routine that works for me, someone who is very limited in the type and number of protective styles I can do on my own hair. This year I will focus on drinking more water and being as consistent as possible in caring for my hair.

Attachments

• 8AA8623F-30DD-444F-90D1-54677805B933.jpeg
    8AA8623F-30DD-444F-90D1-54677805B933.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

icsonia22

Starting photos
today
20210208_131513~2_copy_452x804.jpg20210208_130736~2_copy_452x804.jpg
straightened hair from about 2 weeks ago20210114_204428~2_copy_452x804.jpg

I did an undercut in July 2018 for the back so its between APL and BSL. The other part varies from BSL to MBL.

Natural

Meh it could be better but i don't want to trim it until its all at waist length

-heat damage from a keratin treatment that called for 5-7 passes on each section. I should've known better
-hair fell out from combo of heat and over processed color
-improper detangling/detangling too often
-not stretching the ends of my braids/twist caused knots on the ends

Keep my hair bunned in individual braids when not under a wig Lord willing to avoid knots forming on my ends

Not a thing lol. I have a 3 year old, a one year old and I'm less than a week away from my due date for our new baby. I just want long hair for the sake of having it. Everyone (myself included) has always thought i had kinky unmanageable hair that couldn't retain length. I remember when i told a cousin that i was growing my hair to my waist and she laughed. When i was a kid, another family member that was a hair stylist told me that she wouldn't do my hair anymore unless i got a relaxer. This was my hair 3 years post my first big chop. I think I'm on big chop #4 now so I've come a long way in learning how to care for my 4b hair. received_10205611993552059.jpg

apple_natural

Right now, my hair is in between BSL and MBL, when straightened, and around SL or above when natural. I have been stuck in what I feel is a plateau on the way to MBL (when straight) for about 2 years, and I can’t tell if it’s a retention issue, or slow growth in the first place which is then cancelled out by trims.
I wish I could help. I also feel stuck. How do you wear your hair?

(I) don’t have plans to add anymore into my routine as of right now.

I like this goal of modesty - not doing more than you can do.

icsonia22

Oh ok! It's beautiful! I think you'll make it

By the way, what do you think contributed to your hair growth from your beginning photo to your current photo?
-I only detangle on wash day using aussie moist, crisco and my felicia leatherwood brush vs dry rough combing before
-I moisturize with s curl and seal with whipped shea butter
-I protective style 99% of the time with single rope twist or braids using my own hair and sometimes I'll throw a wig on top
-I stretch my wash days anywhere from 4-9 weeks to avoid having to detangle too often
-I add a hard protein treatment every couple of wash days since my individual strands are fine
-Most importantly, I keep my hair stretched at all times (i use my revair on the highest setting every wash day before moving into a protective style). Single strand knots used to chew my strands up but stretching has cut knots down soooo much
-I don't let anyone else do my hair

apple_natural

-I only detangle on wash day using aussie moist, crisco and my felicia leatherwood brush vs dry rough combing before
-I moisturize with s curl and seal with whipped shea butter
-I protective style 99% of the time with single rope twist or braids using my own hair and sometimes I'll throw a wig on top
-I stretch my wash days anywhere from 4-9 weeks to avoid having to detangle too often
-I add a hard protein treatment every couple of wash days since my individual strands are fine
-Most importantly, I keep my hair stretched at all times (i use my revair on the highest setting every wash day before moving into a protective style). Single strand knots used to chew my strands up but stretching has cut knots down soooo much
-I don't let anyone else do my hair
thank you! Do you put on the grease and then wash it out before using the shea butter? - or are you saying that you put on the aussie moist and the grease and then remoisturize later with the scurl and shea butter

x

I prepared my braiding hair this weekend, but now I have to decide whether I want to henna, put on an aphogee treatment or just deep condition before braiding it up. I was also lingering because I was not sure if I wanted my shoulder length braids or really long ones. I'm going to try the shoulder length look.
I'll blow it out before braiding it. Hopefully I keep them in until near the end of March at least.

Last edited:

icsonia22

thank you! Do you put on the grease and then wash it out before using the shea butter? - or are you saying that you put on the aussie moist and the grease and then remoisturize later with the scurl and shea butter

x

I prepared my braiding hair this weekend, but now I have to decide whether I want to henna, put on an aphogee treatment or just deep condition before braiding it up. I was also lingering because I was not sure if I wanted my shoulder length braids or really long ones. I'm going to try the shoulder length look.
I'll blow it out before braiding it. Hopefully I keep them in until near the end of March at least.
i detangle with the crisco and Aussie moist, (keep hair sectioned in twist after this step to avoid tangling again) shampoo, deep condition (sometimes hard protein before this), blow dry, moisturize with s curl and shea butter.

apple_natural

i detangle with the crisco and Aussie moist, (keep hair sectioned in twist after this step to avoid tangling again) shampoo, deep condition (sometimes hard protein before this), blow dry, moisturize with s curl and shea butter.
Ok, I think you may be using the crisco the same way I use coconut oil before detangling. I was thinking that you were using it afterwards, but I get it. Thank you so much for sharing!! you're helping me a lot. You've reminded me to blow out my hair before I braid it. I need to blow out my hair more often. Single strand knots are killing my length goals. I did get more shea butter so the rest of what youre doing is kind of what i'm doing too. I hope I get your results soon

alex114

I wish I could help. I also feel stuck. How do you wear your hair?

I generally wear my hair in protective styles. I probably had it straightened and trimmed every 3 months or so before the pandemic hit. Since the pandemic, I’ve had box braids (installed by my bubble-mate/sister), worn wigs, with cornrows or plaits under them. No trims, and since I have no clue how to straighten, I can’t get a clear reading of how much it’s grown or its current level of health, except that my Afro looks full and thick with no weird gaps that would indicate bad ends. I suppose that shows how dependent on salons I’ve been in the past. My sister said my hair didn’t seem to need a trim when she did my box braids, but none of us really know how to really categorize natural hair health properly. (We all had our hair relaxed until adulthood, same for my mom.)

apple_natural

i washed my hair with bentonite clay and ACV. i put on a baggy since I didn't feel like finishing it. today, I cowashed it and I still dont feel like finishing it. It's nearly dry. I'll get around to braiding it eventually

Neomorph

I decided to try some of the advice of the hairstylists who say to avoid putting so much oil in our hair. So on my wash day this past weekend I didn't seal my hair with oil which is usually my final step after using Kinky Curly Knot Today and Kinky Curly Curling Custard. Since I'm wearing a bun I will use just a small amount of Sunny Isle's JBCO Pure butter as it's an effective yet gentle edge control (way better than any gel or gorilla glue).

It's Day 3 hair and my hair feels super soft and still very moisturized. I can definitely see that as a product of letting natural film forming humectants in the KCCC absorb and hold water until my hair needs it.

As far as the get peachy challenge...Well my knee started to act up again so I've had to take a bit of a leave from the workouts until the pain goes down. This knee pain is really making me regret doing the hurdles back in high school

Mapleoats

Hey ladies! I’ve been a little MIA on the forum the past few weeks. Life’s been busy and hair hasn’t been the priority. I have my hair in some mini twists right now that my mom did for me yesterday. Hoping to keep these on for two weeks. I’ve been doing the absolute least with my hair. I hope I’m still retaining length lol

apple_natural

I decided to try some of the advice of the hairstylists who say to avoid putting so much oil in our hair. So on my wash day this past weekend I didn't seal my hair with oil which is usually my final step after using Kinky Curly Knot Today and Kinky Curly Curling Custard. Since I'm wearing a bun I will use just a small amount of Sunny Isle's JBCO Pure butter as it's an effective yet gentle edge control (way better than any gel or gorilla glue).

It's Day 3 hair and my hair feels super soft and still very moisturized. I can definitely see that as a product of letting natural film forming humectants in the KCCC absorb and hold water until my hair needs it.

As far as the get peachy challenge...Well my knee started to act up again so I've had to take a bit of a leave from the workouts until the pain goes down. This knee pain is really making me regret doing the hurdles back in high school
I'm sorry about your knees... LOLOLLL I juse saw the part about gorilla glue LOLOL OMG. I only heard about it from a youtube girl named Maraji imitating her. SOOO funny. I feel bad for the original woman because there may be some issues going on that lead to her trying glue in her hair, but Maraji's imitation video is so spot on its HILARIOUS. ok.

I'm sorry but I'm not really sure about not using oil on hair. What was the rationale they gave?

Last edited:

toaster

@apple_natural I don’t use oils or butters on my hair (or any products with oil or butter as the first 5 ingredients) for my wash and go regimen and I’ve found it’s made getting a defined wash and go much easier. For my hair to have the best wash and go, it has to be able to hold the most moisture, and oils and butters just build up on my hair. Then to remove them I have to clarify and try to get water back into my strands, and it’s a circular process. Without the heavy oils and butters, my hair retains the water/moisture better, curls up more, and has more definition.

if my hair every “feels dry” adding product on top to moisturize doesn’t do anything but add another layer of product to my hair. If my hair needs moisture, I wash it. This works for my current hair styling process.

I’ve grown my hair out wearing buns and twist outs and then I used butters and oils and had no issues. So I don’t think butters and oils are bad, they just aren’t moisturizing nor are they conducive to how I’m currently styling my hair.

toaster

One analogy I saw (and again, this is just another hair theory so take it with a grain of salt) is that after you take a shower/bath you put lotion on. But the next day some water has evaporated from your skin and you get a bit of ash. If instead of taking another shower, you just put on more lotion, that would help for that day. But the water from your skin would still evaporate and you’d be ashy again. You can keep piling the lotion on, but eventually you need to shower and replenish the actual moisture.

apple_natural

One analogy I saw (and again, this is just another hair theory so take it with a grain of salt) is that after you take a shower/bath you put lotion on. But the next day some water has evaporated from your skin and you get a bit of ash. If instead of taking another shower, you just put on more lotion, that would help for that day. But the water from your skin would still evaporate and you’d be ashy again. You can keep piling the lotion on, but eventually you need to shower and replenish the actual moisture.

IDK. I would have to know how it physiologically works.

GGsKin

@apple_natural I don’t use oils or butters on my hair (or any products with oil or butter as the first 5 ingredients) for my wash and go regimen and I’ve found it’s made getting a defined wash and go much easier. For my hair to have the best wash and go, it has to be able to hold the most moisture, and oils and butters just build up on my hair. Then to remove them I have to clarify and try to get water back into my strands, and it’s a circular process. Without the heavy oils and butters, my hair retains the water/moisture better, curls up more, and has more definition.

if my hair every “feels dry” adding product on top to moisturize doesn’t do anything but add another layer of product to my hair. If my hair needs moisture, I wash it. This works for my current hair styling process.

I’ve grown my hair out wearing buns and twist outs and then I used butters and oils and had no issues. So I don’t think butters and oils are bad, they just aren’t moisturizing nor are they conducive to how I’m currently styling my hair.
I totally agree with your post! I concentrate on getting moisture on wash day from water and a good DC. I'm dabbling with being consistent with leave ins at the moment

At times I've incorporated shea butter (whipped and plain) but for the most part I've tended not to add anything to my hair for styling but water and gel, when I want a defined wash and go. Right now I'm still reaching for shea butter but mainly for my lips and hands.

GGsKin

I washed my hair today.
Cleanse: Moroccan Oil Frizz Control poo, Olapex no.4 poo
DC: Mielle Babassu Oil & Mint + CR Algae Renew
Leave-in: Olaplex no.6
Style: diluted KCCC + a lil Gelatina for my hairline. Airdry, high pony and silk scarf.

apple_natural

Okay I'm back. We finally have had electricity enough for me to do other things.

Regarding oil, I can see not wanting to use much on a wash-n-go for the sake of the style, but I thought the original post was saying that someone was telling others not to use much oil on hair in general. Depending on what it means to have "not much," I think this is... interesting considering oil can be useful. I happen to see this video right now. However, I've read studies on oil and its protection of hair. I think my own hair has definitely benefitted from using more oil since I definitely experienced hygral fatigue and its damages due to not using oil.

Neomorph

Okay I'm back. We finally have had electricity enough for me to do other things.

Regarding oil, I can see not wanting to use much on a wash-n-go for the sake of the style, but I thought the original post was saying that someone was telling others not to use much oil on hair in general. Depending on what it means to have "not much," I think this is... interesting considering oil can be useful. I happen to see this video right now. However, I've read studies on oil and its protection of hair. I think my own hair has definitely benefitted from using more oil since I definitely experienced hygral fatigue and its damages due to not using oil.

I'm glad you got your electricity back!!

But yeah Oil definitely has it's place in many people's hair care regimen. The stylists I mentioned are a little much when it comes to their advice (ie they can come off very rude and condescending) and they actually advocate for no oil period. One size definitely does not fit all with that route. I just decided to go back to using less oil because I've noticed product buildup and frequent moisturizing ever since I've been coating my hair with oils. Since I use a botanical gel (Kinky curly) I realize the oil is actually preventing the gel from being able to gather more water from the atmosphere to give to my strands. Not to mention certain oils can agitate my seborrheic dermatitis so there's also another reason for me to minimize oil use in my weekly regimen outside of sulfur 8 and Sunny Isle JBCO Pure Butter for my edges.

Also CurlyChemistry is an amazing resource!