2021 Let's Talk! APL - BSL/MBL Challenge

What is your 2021 hair length goal??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

long.hair.dont.care

I like that you call it "watering" your cornrows lol. That's cute! I feel like it makes sense to say it that way. I always want to. How do you steam your hair? Do you use a device or like how do you do that? Also, your schedule seems pretty solid. It seems like everyone in here trims at least 4 times a year in here. I'm feeling more confident about doing that.
Yes, I bought this steaming device! But it doesnt work anymore, I only used it twice. So maybe that's the sign that I need to not be steaming my hair.

Screenshot 2021-02-28 at 9.00.50 PM.png

January - Let's Talk - Nutrients!
Feel free to add questions or other comments. This is just a starter...

1. How often do you take in leafy greens?
2. What, if any, link between your nutrition and you hair growth have you noticed?

January Mini-Challenge Options (Choose at least one, please :D )
- Eat a salad at least Monday-Friday this month, if not daily
- Drink a leafy green based smoothie at least Mon-Friday this month, if not daily
- Eat a large portion of vegetables for at least one meal everyday this month!
- Put 31 days of vitamins in a ziplock back to be sure to take them everyday this month
- Challenge your nutrition in another way and tell us about it
Imma respond to this as if we arent about to enter in to March. Just want to say that this inspired me to get back on my sea moss (I need to make it though) I feel more awake when I take it. I do have cod liver oil, moringa, and multivitamin and i've been taking those consistently.

apple_natural

March - Let's Talk Conditioners - Deep Conditioning - Protein vs Moisture

1. How does your current moisturizing routine compare to what you want it to be?
2. What do you do to balance protein and moisture?
3. Do you deep condition with heat, overnight, or according to the package instructions?
4. Staple deep conditioner??
Feel free to add any other questions or comments, especially about conditioning!

March Mini Challenges
1. Find your staple conditioner
2. Clear your stash
3. DC once a week

You could:
Gather all of your deep conditioners. Maybe take a photo and let us see the stash :D
Use one a week* and let us know the pros and cons about it. Consider using the rest up by a certain date or giving them away.
*If more than 4, then you may have to do a lot of deep conditioning this month lol

HealthyHair2020

My hair is really not feeling like it used to before I used that bentonite clay mask. My hair just feels rougher and my curls still are holding onto each other for dear life resulting in more breakage. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Could it be protein overload?

Last edited:

apple_natural

My hair is really not feeling like it used to before I used that bentonite clay mask. My hair just feels rougher and my curls still are holding onto each other for dear life resulting in more breakage. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Could it be protein overload?
I would clarify. I would either use a cheap Suave clarifying conditioner from the dollar or grocery store OR an apple cider vinegar rinse

HealthyHair2020

I would clarify. I would either use a cheap Suave clarifying conditioner from the dollar or grocery store OR an apple cider vinegar rinse
I'll try to clarify next week with an ACV rinse. Thank you.

Upon inspecting my products, it might actually be protein overload because I've been using the Camille Rose Coconut DC has hydrolyzed keratin in it :(. Also the leave-in and DC has coconut water high up on the ingredients list and coconut water also has protein in it. So I have been using DCs with protein every wash day since January 23rd. Ugh I wish I noticed this sooner.

And I just put in the Miche Protein DC in my hair. :cry3: Well no more protein DCs for the rest of the month so that my strands can feel normal again.

Theresamonet

What did you put in the mask? Bentonite clay itself doesn’t deposit any protein, and can actually absorb excess protein from the hair shaft. You can use Bentonite to rebalance hair if you are experiencing protein overload.

However, It can make the hair feel dry and rougher for some (depending on your mix), since it absorbs so much from the hair. You have to be sure to use a well formulated, moiusture rich DC after using Bentonite clay.

Theresamonet

I'll try to clarify next week with an ACV rinse. Thank you.

Upon inspecting my products, it might actually be protein overload because I've been using the Camille Rose Coconut DC has hydrolyzed keratin in it :(. Also the leave-in and DC has coconut water high up on the ingredients list and coconut water also has protein in it. So I have been using DCs with protein every wash day since January 23rd. Ugh I wish I noticed this sooner.

And I just put in the Miche Protein DC in my hair. :cry3: Well no more protein DCs for the rest of the month so that my strands can feel normal again.

I wouldn’t clarify before trying a good deep condition with a moisturizing protein free conditioner. You have already done a Bentonite clay mask. Perhaps try pre-pooing first with a very moisturizing conditioner first to see if your hair feels better. If so, use a moisturizing shampoo and then deep condition. If there’s no improvement after pre-poo, then you can try clarifying.

My thought process is that adding more moisture won’t hurt anything in this case, but clarifying again if your hair doesn’t need that will just exacerbate the issue of rough hair.

HealthyHair2020

I wouldn’t clarify before trying a good deep condition with a moisturizing protein free conditioner. You have already done a Bentonite clay mask. Perhaps try pre-pooing first with a very moisturizing conditioner first to see if your hair feels better. If so, use a moisturizing shampoo and then deep condition. If there’s no improvement after pre-poo, then you can try clarifying.

My thought process is that adding more moisture won’t hurt anything in this case, but clarifying again if your hair doesn’t need that will just exacerbate the issue of rough hair.
That's what I always do though. Prepoo with a moisturizing conditioner. Then use a moisturizing shampoo and then deep condition. It's been about a month since I did the treatment and my hair has felt different ever since.

What did you put in the mask? Bentonite clay itself doesn’t deposit any protein, and can actually absorb excess protein from the hair shaft. You can use Bentonite to rebalance hair if you are experiencing protein overload.

However, It can make the hair feel dry and rougher for some (depending on your mix), since it absorbs so much from the hair. You have to be sure to use a well formulated, moiusture rich DC after using Bentonite clay.
I mixed the clay, ACV and water together. Maybe the mix was off but I'm sure it should be better by now.

icsonia22

1. How does your current moisturizing routine compare to what you want it to be?
I need to go back to moisturizing multiple times a week. I've noticed some breakage probably brought on by my last straightening session. I haven't been as gentle with my hair lately. I just need to put it away and not look at it for a while.

I use a protein conditioner (normally joico kpak or aphogee 2 step) on wash day and follow up with tgin honey miracle moisture mask

3. Do you deep condition with heat, overnight, or according to the package instructions?
I deep condition with heat for 15-20 minutes

tgin honey miracle moisture mask

GGsKin

I forgoed my last wash day to enjoying the volume of my little puff so I thought I'd have a hard time detangling. I finger detangled + prepood last night with SSI Apricot & Illipe Softening Milk and put my hair in large twists and baggied overnight.

Today i shampooed with a Kerastase poo and DCd in the shower with Tropic Hair Feast.

Styled in the usual wash n go.

ETA: Detangling was not the grand pain I thought it was going to be.

Last edited:

apple_natural

Makes sense! I definitely didn't think it all the way through. This makes more sense. Thank you !!! :D

apple_natural

I need to go back to moisturizing multiple times a week. I've noticed some breakage probably brought on by my last straightening session. I haven't been as gentle with my hair lately. I just need to put it away and not look at it for a while.

I use a protein conditioner (normally joico kpak or aphogee 2 step) on wash day and follow up with tgin honey miracle moisture mask

I deep condition with heat for 15-20 minutes

tgin honey miracle moisture mask
I really like the TGIN products I've used. I used the pink TGIN mask this weekend. I really like the consistency. I didn't have anything bad to say about the results of the dc either. I kept it.. i think overnight because I didn't feel like rinsing it out. My hair feels great. I'll have to try this honey one next. Thank you for sharing.

Mapleoats

March - Let's Talk Conditioners - Deep Conditioning - Protein vs Moisture

Feel free to add any other questions or comments, especially about conditioning!

March Mini Challenges
1. Find your staple conditioner
2. Clear your stash
3. DC once a week

You could:
Gather all of your deep conditioners. Maybe take a photo and let us see the stash :D
Use one a week* and let us know the pros and cons about it. Consider using the rest up by a certain date or giving them away.
*If more than 4, then you may have to do a lot of deep conditioning this month lol
I think my moisturizing routine is pretty good, I do protein every now and then but I’m not sure entirely how protein affects my hair. I’d like to start paying more attention to that. My favourite DC right now is Joico intense hydrater. I also love TGIN miracle repairx. SM manuka and yogurt is my favourite protein DC

Mapleoats

I had such a weird experience with my hair this wash day. After shampooing it didn’t feel stripped like usual but it still felt pretty clean. But styling was a mess and my twists are so frizzy. I washed on Sunday but I’m gonna wash again today cus I don’t like how my hair feels

GGsKin

I don't really have a moisturising routine and I'm ok with this as I tend to wash my hair when I think it requires moisture. ETA: at the moment, I wash my hair about once every 7 -10 days. I might add water, leave-in or gel when restyling or if I don't have time to wash my hair but the leave-ins I like best on my hair, work well on freshly washed wet hair.

I've experienced my hair needing protein, and it gets limp and my coils look less pronounced. It also doesn't hold on to moisture for as long as usual. I give my hair some protein every 3 weeks or so, with a DC with light hydrolyzed proteins I know my hair gets on with. Every 8 weeks or so, will use something harder (Aphogee, Nexuss Polymedic). More often than not, I focus on using a moisture only DC on wash day, and moisture-only leave-ins so as not overload my hair.

I've done all three, although an overnight DC for me is usually out of tiredness or laziness. I always read the instructions to decide if I want to follow or alter them. If instructions say leave it on for 5 mins, I will more than likely leave it on my hair a longer amount of time.

My hair prefers a DC with heat or steam, so I've taken to steaming when I'm in the shower, to avoid me taking my sweet time, or not doing it because it is an added step. Working well so far.

I loved many APB DC but shipping and recent sale style has been prohibitive for reup. I like how Camille Rose Algae Renew and Coconut Water Penetrating Treatment. Tropic Hair Feast is a new one I've used a good few times now and performs well.
I also occasionally use clay to cleanse and condition my hair. I've reduced my use in recent years but I still enjoy using it

Last edited:

Neomorph

Right now I thnk my moisturizing routine is pretty good with Deep Conditioning. I do want to get back to DC'ing every other week. I have DC'ed every other week and still maintained good results and I want to streamline my wash days when possible.

Since my hair is low porosity, I tend to use moisturizing DC's that have some protein towards the bottom. That seems to be enough for me to balance protein and moisture

I deep condition with heat for 20 minutes

Camile Rose Naturals Coconut Water Penetrating Hair Treatment, J. Monique's Natural Bentonite and Rhassoul Clay Detox Mask (store has closed down :cry3:), EDENBodyWorks Sweet Almond and Marshmallow Split End Repair Masque

Last edited:

GGsKin

I washed my hair today. I mixed up some clay (kaolin + rhassoul), and some amla, brahmi, rose petal powder and hibiscus with boiled hot water. I massaged into my scalp, and then applied a mix without brahmi to my hair and let sit for 30mins. I rinsed and DC with CR Algae Renew. Steamed in the shower until my heartbeat told me it was time to get out lol.

Used Olaplex leave-in, and styled with diluted KCCC. Left to airdry.

GGsKin

I had such a weird experience with my hair this wash day. After shampooing it didn’t feel stripped like usual but it still felt pretty clean. But styling was a mess and my twists are so frizzy. I washed on Sunday but I’m gonna wash again today cus I don’t like how my hair feels
Did you do or use something different at any stage? How does your hair feel now?

Mapleoats

Did you do or use something different at any stage? How does your hair feel now?
The only thing I think I did differently is that I didn’t clarify and used a lot of heavy products and Shea butter after. I don’t think my hair was clean enough to receive that much heavy products. I’ve used a similar combo after clarifying without issue. It feels much better now, I clarified and gave my hair a break from SB

HealthyHair2020

Re-reading some older threads for length retention tips and next wash day, I'm gonna try shampooing my hair in 8-10 braids. I've tried shampooing with twists in but they used to unravel so I just stuck to washing my hair in 4 sections and using my hair clips to keep my hair stretching. So when I prepoo, instead of putting my hair in twists, I'll put in braids instead and keep them in until DCing.

Trying to cut down on breakage and shorten my wash day since half of it is shampooing.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
1. What length is your hair at? Past APL , currently sitting at BSB.
2. Is your hair relaxed, texlaxed or natural? Natural
3. Would you consider your hair healthy? It's okay. Need a slight dusting
4. What has been some of the hurdles you have had in your hair growth journey? I like to Washandgo. My curls tend to stick and web together if I dont wash frequently and I'm lazy.
5. What are you going to do differently this year? Thinking about if Im going to stick to twists but come summer and its gonna be curly season, LOL
6. What are you going to do with or for your hair when you reach APL or BSL/MBL? I dunno, keep it maintaining.

My hair grows in layers. My bang area is under my chin. My sides are inching towards APL and my back is BSB. I put a bra on top of my shirt yesterday and the bottom of the bra is right above MBL so , it will be around 6 inches of growth. Its all about the journey though. Im not stressing it. If it comes it comes. Im just thankful for what I do have on my head currently.

View attachment 466281
Ive gotten to the point of hating to blow my hair out and flat iron it. Im not sure if I will do it again this year. Inching towards no more length checks with heat.

* kanye shrug My birthday is in June. Thinking about sistelocs but i LOVE my natural hair fluffy.

apple_natural

I'm alive! My hair has been in really long twists. I should take these out for a dc and something else for a change. I'll consider it over the weekend

apple_natural

April - Let's Talk - Trimming!
Feel free to add questions or other comments. This is just a starter...

1. Is it time for a trim?
2. How often do you trim?
3. Do you search and destroy or go for an even look?
4. How many inches would you consider a cut vs a trim?

April Mini-Challenge Options (Choose at least one, please :D )
- Trim!
- Schedule an appointment at least lol
- In the name of end health, baggy ends a few times this month?
- Take a photo of bomb ends if you don't need a trim. We need proof! lol

Last edited:

icsonia22

Re-reading some older threads for length retention tips and next wash day, I'm gonna try shampooing my hair in 8-10 braids. I've tried shampooing with twists in but they used to unravel so I just stuck to washing my hair in 4 sections and using my hair clips to keep my hair stretching. So when I prepoo, instead of putting my hair in twists, I'll put in braids instead and keep them in until DCing.

Trying to cut down on breakage and shorten my wash day since half of it is shampooing.
I had that same issue with twist but i was afraid of not washing out all of the product with braids. I started rope twisting the majority of the length of my hair and then I'll braid almost to the end. After that, I'll rope twist the rest of the length. By doing this, i can wash all the product out without my hair unraveling and this helps cut down on shrinkage.