2021 Let's Talk! APL - BSL/MBL Challenge

What is your 2021 hair length goal??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HealthyHair2020

I had that same issue with twist but i was afraid of not washing out all of the product with braids. I started rope twisting the majority of the length of my hair and then I'll braid almost to the end. After that, I'll rope twist the rest of the length. By doing this, i can wash all the product out without my hair unraveling and this helps cut down on shrinkage.
Hmm maybe I'll try this as well.

HealthyHair2020

April - Let's Talk - Trimming!
Feel free to add questions or other comments. This is just a starter...

1. Is it time for a trim?
2. How often do you trim?
3. Do you search and destroy or go for an even look?
4. How many inches would you consider a cut vs a trim?

April Mini-Challenge Options (Choose at least one, please :D )
- Trim!
- Schedule an appointment at least lol
- In the name of end health, baggy ends a few times this month?
- Take a photo of bomb ends if you don't need a trim. We need proof! lol
1. Did a trim a couple weeks ago so I'm good for now.
2. Normally every 2 months. Last time I did it sooner because my hair needed it.
3. I do search and destroy if I'm playing with my ends and seeing a bunch of knots but normally I go for an even trim.
4. Honestly I don't pay that much attention to how much I cut off but I would say anything over 1/2 inch is a cut.

I'll take pics of my ends when I blow dry my hair soon. Also I live in a very white area so I can't find a stylist unless I travel very far and I don't have the means for that right now.

GGsKin

1. Is it time for a trim? I've just finished trimming my hair. I waited a little long since last time which was September/ October

2. How often do you trim? In this incarnation of a HHJ, I didn't have a proper schedule but I decided to keep on top of that this year so every 3months or so. I'll keep note of how they look and feel, especially when straight.

3. Do you search and destroy or go for an even look? I do both.

4. How many inches would you consider a cut vs a trim? I usually consider over 2 inches as a cut.

- Trim! Done!
- In the name of end health, baggy ends a few times this month? I will make more of an effort to cover my ends this month.
- Take a photo of bomb ends if you don't need a trim. We need proof! lol I haven't taken many hair pics lately. I'll remember to come back.

Neomorph

- Trim!

1. Nope! I did a trim on March 6th.
2. Right now it's every 10 weeks, one of my goals is to get to 12 weeks for trims.
3. A little bit of both
4. Anything over an inch is a cut to me because of how frequently I trim (every ten weeks ends up to being about 5 trims a year)

For my mini-challenge I'll baggy my ends at least once a week.

HealthyHair2020

I had that same issue with twist but i was afraid of not washing out all of the product with braids. I started rope twisting the majority of the length of my hair and then I'll braid almost to the end. After that, I'll rope twist the rest of the length. By doing this, i can wash all the product out without my hair unraveling and this helps cut down on shrinkage.
Oooooh I tried this and it really worked. Thank you so much for this tip!

HealthyHair2020

Oooooh I tried this and it really worked. Thank you so much for this tip!
Butttt I realized this broke off a part of my hair (which was below my chin) that was at the front down to 2-3 inches so prob a no go in the future. It's what I was afraid of washing in braids/twists and I was proven right. Sighs.

20210405.jpg

Last edited:

long.hair.dont.care

- Trim!

1. Is it time for a trim? It is, how did you know!? :yep:
2. How often do you trim? Nope, I am a certified slow grower. I use to think my hair texture made it seem like it wasnt growing fast, but after much observation, I do not get the "average" growth. I get half of the average (1/4 an inch).
3. Do you search and destroy or go for an even look? I do search and destroy twice a year, but I also trim in batches once a year - not sure if it's even though.
Over 1 n 1/2 inch = a cut (imo).

April Mini-Challenge:
I shall trim!

GGsKin

Ok so I've probably given myself a cut, rather than a trim this time round. All in all I've taken off at least 2 inches. Length now measures 12 inches (taken at the top of ear, both left and right, also front middle).

toaster

I’m still in this challenge! Just keeping up with my regimen and keeping it simple. I haven’t trimmed since December 12 and probably will do a small trim around the end of may.

Trying to reach APL wash and go by the end of the year.

Attachments

• 4D4FD048-5FE3-4249-8B4C-47567B2DF9FC.jpeg
    4D4FD048-5FE3-4249-8B4C-47567B2DF9FC.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 15942F5E-9A86-4A70-85B2-9B17CF30BDE0.jpeg
    15942F5E-9A86-4A70-85B2-9B17CF30BDE0.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 53

long.hair.dont.care

I took down my protective style on Monday, and I've reached MBL! :look:

However, I wont be claiming it until the sides also reach MBL, which currently reach BSL as seen in my second photo.
I'll happily claim MBL when the sides are also 1 inch passed BSL. This will take another 3-4 months. I intent to trim before my next instal and my hair grows slow.

Anybody else's hair grow in a "v"?

IMG_0314.jpgIMG_0333.jpgIMG_0337.jpg

icsonia22

I took down my protective style on Monday, and I've reached MBL! :look:

However, I wont be claiming it until the sides also reach MBL, which currently reach BSL as seen in my second photo.
I'll happily claim MBL when the sides are also 1 inch passed BSL. This will take another 3-4 months. I intent to trim before my next instal and my hair grows slow.

Anybody else's hair grow in a "v"?

View attachment 471435View attachment 471437View attachment 471439
congrats!

coolsista-paris

Thank you for accepting me in this challenge. So here I go.

1. What length is your hair at? between SL and APL
2. Is your hair relaxed, texlaxed or natural?
natural
3. Would you consider your hair healthy?
I think yes. I never do much to it.

4. What has been some of the hurdles you have had in your hair growth journey?

Laziness is my problem. I'm not consistent enough. Also, I don't know how to moisturize well enough. I lack deep conditionning (did it only a few times last year). Split ends

5. What are you going to do differently this year?

Listen to my hair more, read the ingredients before buying any products. Stop using too many different products. Dust about every 10 weeks. Massage my scalp, exercise more. Take my vitamins and eat more vegetables at home. Moisturize better or maybe wash more frequently. Deep condition at every wash day. Baby my ends, perhaps baggying again a few times.

6. What are you going to do with or for your hair when you reach APL or BSL/MBL?
I hope to reach full APL by the end of this year. I will not do much to my hair. When I do reach MBL, I will do a great flat iron session and enjoy wearing my hair out in mutliple styles. Show it to the world and prove that black girls can have long hair.

* Mapleoats asks; "What is your focus besides length this year?"
Besides length, I need strengthen this fine hair of mine. I will also try to get more thickness (neutral henna glosses worked well in the past).

Starting pics (taken this week).

Attachments

• 2021-04-19_16.33.24.jpg
    2021-04-19_16.33.24.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 32

coolsista-paris

Spent 10 hours putting in this protective style and it's gonna stay in until the end of May. Maybe longer depending on how it holds up.

View attachment 471907
Looking nice :)
You are patient. I really hate doing my hair for long but must learn to be more patient with my hair.

When did you install these twists?
I also decided to do twists yesterday and hope to keep them in for a month and a half.

I did big ones so it took me 2 and a half hours to do (could have been less if I knew how to part better and faster).

Attachments

• 2021-05-04_21.58.15.jpg
    2021-05-04_21.58.15.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 53

HealthyHair2020

Looking nice :)
You are patient. I really hate doing my hair for long but must learn to be more patient with my hair.

When did you install these twists?
I also decided to do twists yesterday and hope to keep them in for a month and a half.

I did big ones so it took me 2 and a half hours to do (could have been less if I knew how to part better and faster).
I installed them on Sunday. With twists, I always have the habit of doing the back really small, getting tired or not having enough hair and then having to do the front bigger.

Yours look awesome! Next time I'll def do mine bigger.

icsonia22

I changed my shirt from my original post to a length check tee. i figured what's the use of having one if you're not going to use it. my undercut area (the back) is still creeping to bsl (my bra is pretty low) but i think the rest has met the goal

Attachments

• 20210514_001705.jpg
    20210514_001705.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210514_001329_copy_452x804.jpg
    20210514_001329_copy_452x804.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 41

apple_natural

I'm alive!
I changed my shirt from my original post to a length check tee. i figured what's the use of having one if you're not going to use it. my undercut area (the back) is still creeping to bsl (my bra is pretty low) but i think the rest has met the goal
I LOVE YOUR HAIR!

We have a lot of beautiful heads of hair in here.

Welcome @coolsista-paris ! I'll add you to the list on the front

I have moved way up north this month and things have not gone so smoothly, but we are as good as we're going to get for now, so I'll see what I should have posted for May...

As for a trim, I do need one. My last trim was in January. The lady who did it went up in price to $110 for a press -_- ... i'm not paying that plus a tip. I will be doing it myself anyway since I've moved. I'm with you, though, @Bette Davis Eyes I'm so not into blowing my hair or heating it at all anymore. I don't know if its laziness completely, but I like the little coils that I have without heat and I don't feel like I see them as well whenever I get it straightened.IDK.

I will likely stretch it and dust. ... okay onto May

apple_natural

:thewave:May - Let's Talk AYURVEDA- HENNA CLAY TEA ETC :thewave:

1. Have you ever used henna, clays, teas, etc? Which?
2. What did you definitely not use again and/or what did you definitely keep
3. Any favorite mixtures or brands?
Feel free to add any other questions or comments, especially about conditioning!

May Mini Challenges
1. Henna!
2. Tea rinse!
3. Use a clay!
4. At least consider it one day lol

ETA: I acknowledge that May is pretty much over lol. We still may have time to talk :D

Last edited:

apple_natural

Ironically, I mixed a henna this morning! This will be my May mini challenge.

1. I used bentonite clay and ACV last night. I do that every so often. I love it as a cleanser. I have some rhassoul clay, but I have not used it.
2. The first time I put on a henna mask, I had a wonderful experience. I think I mixed the henna with oil alone and then put in some conditioner. I didn't use water except to stretch the remaining bit on sections where I had run out. I was great. I think the 3rd time I used henna, I had a different story. I had that crunchy feeling that I hear others talk about. I don't know what happened. I don't remember what I did differently. It wasn't good. I used it a few times afterwards and it was fine again until January of this year. I put it on again and it was very stripped. I should have followed up with a dc, but I ended up having a hair appointment after that and it was fine again. The girl who did it thought it was always that way, but I couldn't tell if it just needed moisture back or if it wasn't too moisturized before the henna. Anyway, I'm still going to put it on now. I think it's fine.
3. I think my favorite mix for henna is to put in a generous amount of oil and conditioner. Almost 1/3 each. I tend to use little water I keep this on overnight and then wash it out with Trader Joes tea tree tangle... i'm out of that now. i still have the conditioner. maybe i'll try to cowash it out.

GGsKin

I washed my hair today. Pretty much the same as Wednesday, minus Olaplex no.3 but added no 6. I was going to leave it alone but when I realised it was already on day 4, I decided to go ahead and reset my wng.

My second time using UFD Curly Magic and I can confirm that I'm cheating on KCCC for a while. In order to counter the sticky feel I had last time, I used less (1.5 pumps per small section, vs two), and this paid off. Diffused for 30-40mins. My hair is about 90% dry.